Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Chael Sonnen tests positive for PEDs at UFC 117.

Go down 
+14
killerofchicken
OU
SOKO
jimbojones1950
LA
Birdofthad
Andrew the Raider King
chorky777
MMAEYES
captain organic
KingsOwn19
bobbitt15
mannyfresh
Wolfgangsta
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

Chael Sonnen tests positive for PEDs at UFC 117. Empty
PostSubject: Chael Sonnen tests positive for PEDs at UFC 117.   Chael Sonnen tests positive for PEDs at UFC 117. EmptySun Sep 19, 2010 7:24 am

According to California State Athletic Commission Executive Officer George Dodd, Chael Sonnen has been notified that he failed post-fight drug screening following his loss to Anderson Silva at UFC 117, which was held Aug. 7 at the Oracle Arena in Oakland, Calif.

... In a conversation the day before, Dodd declined to comment on the situation, other than answering that all fighters from UFC 117 had passed drugs-of-abuse scans, but that the commission was still waiting on performance-enhancing drug screens from the event.

Dodd did not state which banned substance was red-flagged, but with a clean drugs-of-abuse scan it is clear the positive test was for a performance-enhancing substance.

Silva's manager Ed Soares hits the nail on the head with his comment:

"If it’s true, I feel really bad for him," said Soares. "I know he did it to himself but it is really sad, he put on such a great performance that night. It is just a shame it will be tarnished."

Sonnen's pre-fight trash talk, coupled with his 24 minutes of dominating the champ, has brought him a ton of new fans and even netted him a high-profile rematch for early 2011. Even though Sonnen lost that bout, it was by far the best performance of his career, but that failed drug test tarnishes everything. He will likely get fined and suspended for this, making it likely that the fight gets postponed, or even canceled. Either way, even if the UFC decides to go on with the bout, the rematch certainly loses a lot of its luster.

Bloodyelbow.com

The UFC has dodged two steroid bullets big fucking time. Just imagine if Carwin and Sonnon had won those two fights that by rights they should have?
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif

PostSubject: Re: Chael Sonnen tests positive for PEDs at UFC 117.   Chael Sonnen tests positive for PEDs at UFC 117. EmptySun Sep 19, 2010 7:35 am

Wolfgangsta wrote:

The UFC has dodged two steroid bullets big fucking time. Just imagine if Carwin and Sonnon had won those two fights that by rights they should have?

The right man won both fights. If true then Sonnen doesn't deserve a rematch.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Chael Sonnen tests positive for PEDs at UFC 117.   Chael Sonnen tests positive for PEDs at UFC 117. EmptySun Sep 19, 2010 7:37 am

Ya, it would be hard to defend Sonnen as the real winner of the fight after this has come to light.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Chael Sonnen tests positive for PEDs at UFC 117.   Chael Sonnen tests positive for PEDs at UFC 117. EmptySun Sep 19, 2010 7:49 am

No wonder his punches looked so hard. It also helps his takedowns. I don't have a major problem with steroids when it comes to sprinting because nearly all do it and you don't physically harm others while doing it but in a combat sport I detest it so bad. If I was Silva and got hurt I'd press charges against my opponent and sue him for all he has.
Back to top Go down
mannyfresh
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Royce

PostSubject: Re: Chael Sonnen tests positive for PEDs at UFC 117.   Chael Sonnen tests positive for PEDs at UFC 117. EmptySun Sep 19, 2010 8:32 am

Damn man and I was starting to warm up to this guy too.
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: Chael Sonnen tests positive for PEDs at UFC 117.   Chael Sonnen tests positive for PEDs at UFC 117. EmptySun Sep 19, 2010 11:39 am

Eh I'd wait for some further verification to come out about this. We are talking about the CSAC after all
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

PostSubject: Re: Chael Sonnen tests positive for PEDs at UFC 117.   Chael Sonnen tests positive for PEDs at UFC 117. EmptySun Sep 19, 2010 12:47 pm

Don't really care. He was beating Anderson Silva because he is a world class wrestler who has a huge tank and he lost because he's prone to submissions. Same old story.

If this means no rematch...good. I think Sonnen had his best shot, Anderson took it and won the fight. I was leaning towards Anderson in a rematch almost as heavily as i was leaning towards him in the first bout.

I'll take the wait and see approach as well. The timing is pretty questionable. It didnt take them long to out Josh Barnett but it takes them well over a month to get out drug test results when those are typically released less than a week after the event?

Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Chael Sonnen tests positive for PEDs at UFC 117.   Chael Sonnen tests positive for PEDs at UFC 117. EmptySun Sep 19, 2010 1:28 pm

KingsOwn19 wrote:
Don't really care. He was beating Anderson Silva because he is a world class wrestler who has a huge tank and he lost because he's prone to submissions. Same old story.

If this means no rematch...good. I think Sonnen had his best shot, Anderson took it and won the fight. I was leaning towards Anderson in a rematch almost as heavily as i was leaning towards him in the first bout.

I'll take the wait and see approach as well. The timing is pretty questionable. It didnt take them long to out Josh Barnett but it takes them well over a month to get out drug test results when those are typically released less than a week after the event?

Disagree on this. If he was indeed using, the PED's could enhance his game in all area's, from speed, to strength,to confidence, to recovery in training. If he was using them, he was using them for a reason, and that reason is to make him a better fighter. Can't right it off as if they had little or no effect. I'd assume they had a big effect.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Chael Sonnen tests positive for PEDs at UFC 117.   Chael Sonnen tests positive for PEDs at UFC 117. EmptySun Sep 19, 2010 1:43 pm

What a disgrace, Silva should sue his republican ass.
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

PostSubject: Re: Chael Sonnen tests positive for PEDs at UFC 117.   Chael Sonnen tests positive for PEDs at UFC 117. EmptySun Sep 19, 2010 2:16 pm

Funny thing is if Chael Sonnen get testicular cancer like Lance Armstrong he'll only have himself to blame
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Chael Sonnen tests positive for PEDs at UFC 117.   Chael Sonnen tests positive for PEDs at UFC 117. EmptySun Sep 19, 2010 2:18 pm

Silva is easily the pound for pound best right now, he overcame a ped enhanced wrestler.

Last edited by Ali_1748 on Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

PostSubject: Re: Chael Sonnen tests positive for PEDs at UFC 117.   Chael Sonnen tests positive for PEDs at UFC 117. EmptySun Sep 19, 2010 2:21 pm

So does this mean there is an asterisk next to Anderson Silva's sub-par performance? or are we going to continue to use the Sonnen fight as a reason GSP would beat Anderson Silva? Laughing
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Chael Sonnen tests positive for PEDs at UFC 117.   Chael Sonnen tests positive for PEDs at UFC 117. EmptySun Sep 19, 2010 2:22 pm

In my opinion GSP would get knocked out cold by Silva, I just don't see him being big enough to keep Silva down and avoid being clipped over five rounds.

Silva even had a ped enhanced Sonnen rocked with an elbow in the fourth round.
Back to top Go down
MMAEYES
Black Belt
Black Belt
MMAEYES

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, FEDOR, NICK DIAZ

PostSubject: Re: Chael Sonnen tests positive for PEDs at UFC 117.   Chael Sonnen tests positive for PEDs at UFC 117. EmptySun Sep 19, 2010 2:40 pm

Man this sucks. I guess I'm glad Silva won now, if it's infact true. I also agree he then wouldn't deserve a rematch in my eyes at least.
Back to top Go down
MMAEYES
Black Belt
Black Belt
MMAEYES

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, FEDOR, NICK DIAZ

PostSubject: Re: Chael Sonnen tests positive for PEDs at UFC 117.   Chael Sonnen tests positive for PEDs at UFC 117. EmptySun Sep 19, 2010 2:42 pm

I've always liked Anderson and still do but I just found it really hard to route for him after the Maia fight.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Chael Sonnen tests positive for PEDs at UFC 117.   Chael Sonnen tests positive for PEDs at UFC 117. EmptySun Sep 19, 2010 2:45 pm

Does this mean Okami vs Belfort gets scraped or will Nate get his rematch with Silva ?
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Chael Sonnen tests positive for PEDs at UFC 117.   Chael Sonnen tests positive for PEDs at UFC 117. EmptySun Sep 19, 2010 2:45 pm

Wow ya I forgot everything he said about Armstrong. Jesus Chael.
Back to top Go down
chorky777
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Weidman, McGregor, Pettis, Cowboy

PostSubject: Re: Chael Sonnen tests positive for PEDs at UFC 117.   Chael Sonnen tests positive for PEDs at UFC 117. EmptySun Sep 19, 2010 3:35 pm

What's really weird is if the submission never came, Silva would have gotten his ass beat, and still would be champ after this news.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Chael Sonnen tests positive for PEDs at UFC 117.   Chael Sonnen tests positive for PEDs at UFC 117. EmptySun Sep 19, 2010 4:17 pm

Ya. It's a good thing for everyone Chael lost. This way the UFC doesn't have to strip Sonnen, which would have been significantly more disgracing.
Back to top Go down
Andrew the Raider King
Red Belt
Red Belt
Andrew the Raider King

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael, Sexyama, Condit, Hendricks, Cowboy, Struve

PostSubject: Re: Chael Sonnen tests positive for PEDs at UFC 117.   Chael Sonnen tests positive for PEDs at UFC 117. EmptySun Sep 19, 2010 4:28 pm

I love Chael, but if he failed for injecting himself with illegal PED's, then he needs to be suspended and taken off the re-match. It is called punishment. If it is something whacky, like something that was in a tea or a million over the counter products, well that should be easy to find out.
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

PostSubject: Re: Chael Sonnen tests positive for PEDs at UFC 117.   Chael Sonnen tests positive for PEDs at UFC 117. EmptySun Sep 19, 2010 4:52 pm

old article about Sonnen being sick leading up to the fight

http://www.5thround.com/46719/chael-sonnen-suffers-stomach-bug-as-anderson-silva-fight-looms/

Chael Sonnen did have a big stomach flu in the weeks leading up to the fight. So many chemicals can be looked at as performance enhancers, sometimes it's something that was taken for other reasons, it does not always mean roids. I mean, for flu's espcially a lot of medicines have some form of steroids in them. The fact that there is no real report of it being anabolic steroids could mean that it could have been something Sonnen didnt know would come up in a drug test as a PED. Possibly doctors prescription?

This whole thing kind of smells like shit(CSAC) and the fact that there is no word of it being steroids.

I'm not saying this is it but I think it's fair to wait and see exactly what it was that Sonnen tested positive for. PED does not tell you shit other than "go ahead and start defaming without knowing exactly what it was and if it could have really had an effect on Sonnen's performance"
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

PostSubject: Re: Chael Sonnen tests positive for PEDs at UFC 117.   Chael Sonnen tests positive for PEDs at UFC 117. EmptySun Sep 19, 2010 5:22 pm

back on the damn Sonnen side, Yahoo has a article analyzing Sonnen's lack of "Backne" from the Sonnen Okami weigh in and Sonnen/Marquardt weigh ins and then analyze the prevelance of backne for the Sonnen/Silva weigh ins. My eye sight is for shit but i can't really see an excessive amount of acne on Sonnen's back but that is usually the sign of somebody using something. Most steroids, testosterone, or other PED users i knew have severe backne.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/cagewriter/post/Reports-emerge-that-Sonnen-failed-his-UFC-117-dr?urn=mma-270724

Chael Sonnen tests positive for PEDs at UFC 117. Ept_sports_mma_experts-668897500-1284912264
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: Chael Sonnen tests positive for PEDs at UFC 117.   Chael Sonnen tests positive for PEDs at UFC 117. EmptySun Sep 19, 2010 5:48 pm

Chael is a D Bag
Back to top Go down
Andrew the Raider King
Red Belt
Red Belt
Andrew the Raider King

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael, Sexyama, Condit, Hendricks, Cowboy, Struve

PostSubject: Re: Chael Sonnen tests positive for PEDs at UFC 117.   Chael Sonnen tests positive for PEDs at UFC 117. EmptySun Sep 19, 2010 6:59 pm

Well like I said, there are a million OTC drugs that have thousands of things that activate a positive test. We will eventually find out.
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: Chael Sonnen tests positive for PEDs at UFC 117.   Chael Sonnen tests positive for PEDs at UFC 117. EmptySun Sep 19, 2010 8:23 pm

There are many things that can lead to a failed test. A dude on the Bengals just failed one the other day because he had taken large amounts of cough syrup. And as stated before the CSAC is a worthless pile of steaming shit all things considered

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Chael Sonnen tests positive for PEDs at UFC 117.   Chael Sonnen tests positive for PEDs at UFC 117. Empty

Back to top Go down

Chael Sonnen tests positive for PEDs at UFC 117.
Page 1 of 6Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next