Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

SF Thoughts:

Go down 
+8
jimbojones1950
OU
captain organic
Wolfgangsta
Primetyme199
Birdofthad
Ludo
LA
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
jimbojones1950
Green Belt
Green Belt

SF Thoughts: - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: SF Thoughts:   SF Thoughts: - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 20, 2011 10:28 am

I agree with those who stated that saturday night's card solidified Cain and JDS as the top two heavyweights in mma. Masvidal really impressed. I dont think he would have a legitimate shot at Melendez, but he's tough and could probably make it an entertaining scrap. As for Cormier, I thought his striking looked really good. But, like others have said, his size is going to be an issue moving forward. Just looking at the press conference with him sitting next to Bigfoot (the size difference looked ridiculous). He either needs to get down to 205, or really work on being a speed fighter in a slow weight class. I don't think a fight with Rogers would be that interesting though since Rogers has zero wrestling and would likely lose in a similar way to how Barnett just beat him.
Back to top Go down
Andrew the Raider King
Red Belt
Red Belt
Andrew the Raider King

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael, Sexyama, Condit, Hendricks, Cowboy, Struve

PostSubject: Re: SF Thoughts:   SF Thoughts: - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 20, 2011 10:55 am

After this Grand Prix is over, they need to move all the legit SF HWs over to the UFC, with the exception of Fedor. Then move the weaker portions of the UFCs HWs over to SF. At least the HW division in the UFC will be completely solid then, but still nowhere near as good as LHW or LW.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

PostSubject: Re: SF Thoughts:   SF Thoughts: - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 20, 2011 12:11 pm

Andrew the Raider King wrote:
After this Grand Prix is over, they need to move all the legit SF HWs over to the UFC, with the exception of Fedor. Then move the weaker portions of the UFCs HWs over to SF. At least the HW division in the UFC will be completely solid then, but still nowhere near as good as LHW or LW.
why no Fedor? I think M1 will b suddenly reasonable now. The Ufc still needs names like his. They'll r
each a deal.
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: SF Thoughts:   SF Thoughts: - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 20, 2011 12:13 pm

Mobile posts...
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

PostSubject: Thoughts on Strikeforce   SF Thoughts: - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 20, 2011 12:36 pm

In one of the bigger surprises of the year, SF had a big card that was not fireworks.

The main event was odd. For as much as Werdum was able to appear competent landing strikes, he negated any positives by taking himself down then thinking he would somehow trick Overeem into taking himself down as well. That is not how it works. People are not gonna jump in your gaurd much anymore dude. If you want to fight on the ground you have to take people there and keep them there. I could of gave him an 8 point round for that crap in spite of him landing a few strikes, it was kinda sad. Overeem was thrown off his game a bit it seemed but took the win in unspectacular fashion. He could of separated himself with another big KO as #1 for me since JDS didn't and Cain is out, but he didn't. The winner of Bigfoot/Overeem will still have that opportunity to do so if they fight great before November.

Josh Barnett is still a top HW in this sport. There is a reason he was considered #2 in the world for so long and his tools will present problems for every single fighter in the division. He is good and might of stole the momentum as the favorite to win the GP. Rogers couldn't get off the punches that were going to be his only shot. He can be a scary gatekeeper for other striking exclusive HWs.

Wasn't really surprised by Masvidal. Not sure if people don't know or have a misconception about his ability. I looked at it like Noons in the MMA world was more the Masvidal from the Streetfight days, untempered and more raw, while Masvidal now is the real MMA fighter who really outclasses Noons game. His striking looked good too. Against Gil... That will be tough, Gil has two more gears than Masvidal from which to apply his game, a power granny gear and Ferrari 7th gear.

Daniel Cormier is LEGIT. Obviously his opponents are pros but not the 1337 top fighters, but opponents alone tell no story. He can strike, has shown a willingness and ability to put hands all over his opponents in ways they can't effectively fight back to. He can rassle. Just how good his wrestling is, who knows, l33t though. I'm sold, he is only going to improve, he trains with arguably the best camp in the states suited to his talents. I'm to the point that I don't think he needs to drop down to LHW. He has talent, top ten talent.

Card wasn't great but at the same time I was not un-entertained. It did no utterly fail me.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/v/skCV2L0c6K0
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

PostSubject: Re: SF Thoughts:   SF Thoughts: - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 20, 2011 1:08 pm

Overeem might be too relaxed and comfortable, too professional.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: SF Thoughts:   SF Thoughts: - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 20, 2011 1:17 pm

GDPofDRC wrote:
Overeem might be too relaxed and comfortable, too professional.
It's been awhile now since anyone gave him a reason to be worried. His confidence is at an all time high.
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

PostSubject: Re: SF Thoughts:   SF Thoughts: - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 20, 2011 1:18 pm

And I also thought Josh Barnett's in-cage Pro Wrestling promo after the fight was great. Cheesy sure but it hit in the right way.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: SF Thoughts:   SF Thoughts: - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 20, 2011 1:20 pm

GDPofDRC wrote:
And I also thought Josh Barnett's in-cage Pro Wrestling promo after the fight was great. Cheesy sure but it hit in the right way.

See I thought it was horrific. I hated it very much. I don't want to see that kind of shit, it was just a reminder of the douche that Barnett is.
Back to top Go down
killerofchicken
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
killerofchicken

Favorite Fighter(s) : Mauricio Shogun Rua, BJ Penn, AXE MURDERER,Fedor, CroCop, Vitor Belfort, JDS

PostSubject: Re: SF Thoughts:   SF Thoughts: - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 20, 2011 1:22 pm

GDPofDRC wrote:
i thought it was gold!
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

PostSubject: Re: SF Thoughts:   SF Thoughts: - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 20, 2011 1:28 pm

I was happy when he took the mic from Gus. The cheese of it is was put it over in the right kind of way imo. Josh is a douche for sho but it was a clever move on his night.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: SF Thoughts:   SF Thoughts: - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 20, 2011 1:40 pm

GDPofDRC wrote:
I was happy when he took the mic from Gus. The cheese of it is was put it over in the right kind of way imo. Josh is a douche for sho but it was a clever move on his night.

I was expecting the lights to go out and The Undertaker pop up from under the ring. It made me want Josh to be knocked out of MMA. Sergei knocking his teeth in would make me happy.
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

PostSubject: Re: SF Thoughts:   SF Thoughts: - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 20, 2011 1:47 pm

Isaac Vallie-Flagg vs Brian Melancon was my fight of the night. The first fight on the card. It was great to watch.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: SF Thoughts:   SF Thoughts: - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 20, 2011 1:53 pm

that belly flab vs noname fight was pretty average
Back to top Go down
Andrew the Raider King
Red Belt
Red Belt
Andrew the Raider King

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael, Sexyama, Condit, Hendricks, Cowboy, Struve

PostSubject: Re: SF Thoughts:   SF Thoughts: - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 20, 2011 2:12 pm

Wolf, maybe he and his team may be more reasonable, but DW may just rub it in his face watching all the big fighters move over to the UFC.
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva, Jose Aldo

PostSubject: Re: SF Thoughts:   SF Thoughts: - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 20, 2011 5:33 pm

OU wrote:
GDPofDRC wrote:

See I thought it was horrific. I hated it very much. I don't want to see that kind of shit, it was just a reminder of the douche that Barnett is.

He was messing around, come on, you'd rather deal with the Diaz bros antics and a LHW phony though? Go figure.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: SF Thoughts:   SF Thoughts: - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 20, 2011 8:29 pm

Quote :
Wolf, maybe he and his team may be more reasonable, but DW may just rub it in his face watching all the big fighters move over to the UFC.

They need HW main events. They are short on draws and mega fights right now. "Fedor in the UFC!" alone is worth millions of dollars in revenue. And past aside, show me another former Pride fighter that Dana hasn't swooned over? Wandy, Crocop, Nog, Dana is a fanboy of these guys and he is still secretly a Fedor fanboy himself.

It's over. Kisses and hugs all around. M1 + UFC = harmony. Watch.
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: SF Thoughts:   SF Thoughts: - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 20, 2011 9:44 pm

OU wrote:
GDPofDRC wrote:

See my sig
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: SF Thoughts:   SF Thoughts: - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 9:13 am

LA wrote:
OU wrote:
GDPofDRC wrote:

He was messing around, come on, you'd rather deal with the Diaz bros antics and a LHW phony though? Go figure.

I'd rather Barnett get shot in the face. If he wants to be a pro wrestler, let him go. But seeing that douche get into character in the middle of the cage after a fight makes me sick. If no one ever does anything remotely close to that ever again after a MMA fight, I'll be happy. Next time I hope he dies.
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

PostSubject: Re: SF Thoughts:   SF Thoughts: - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 11:29 am

Wolfgangsta wrote:
Quote :

They need HW main events. They are short on draws and mega fights right now. "Fedor in the UFC!" alone is worth millions of dollars in revenue. And past aside, show me another former Pride fighter that Dana hasn't swooned over? Wandy, Crocop, Nog, Dana is a fanboy of these guys and he is still secretly a Fedor fanboy himself.

It's over. Kisses and hugs all around. M1 + UFC = harmony. Watch.

The shake down of M-1/Fedor vs Affliction could reveal some interesting stuff about how everything went down after Josh failed his test it already has.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: SF Thoughts:   SF Thoughts: - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 11:31 am

Do most people here think Fedor will eventually have UFC on his gloves?
Back to top Go down
killerofchicken
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
killerofchicken

Favorite Fighter(s) : Mauricio Shogun Rua, BJ Penn, AXE MURDERER,Fedor, CroCop, Vitor Belfort, JDS

PostSubject: Re: SF Thoughts:   SF Thoughts: - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 11:37 am

fedor retires after losing to Hendo
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

PostSubject: Re: SF Thoughts:   SF Thoughts: - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 12:10 pm

SF Thoughts: - Page 2 Connorhuenarm
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: SF Thoughts:   SF Thoughts: - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 12:42 pm

http://mmajunkie.com/news/24075/strikeforce-overeem-vs-werdum-ratings-on-showtime-rank-second-all-time.mma
The five top-rated Strikeforce-Showtime shows, as compiled by MMAjunkie.com, include:

1. "Strikeforce: Silva vs. Fedor" (February 2011): 741,000 viewers
  2. "Strikeforce: Overeem vs. Werdum" (June 2011): 624,000
  3. "Strikeforce: Carano vs. Cyborg" (August 2009): 576,000
  4. "Strikeforce: Diaz vs. Cyborg" (January 2011): 561,000
  5. "Strikeforce: Diaz vs. Daley" (April 2011): 528,000
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva, Jose Aldo

PostSubject: Re: SF Thoughts:   SF Thoughts: - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 4:09 pm

OU wrote:
LA wrote:
OU wrote:
GDPofDRC wrote:

I'd rather Barnett get shot in the face. If he wants to be a pro wrestler, let him go. But seeing that douche get into character in the middle of the cage after a fight makes me sick. If no one ever does anything remotely close to that ever again after a MMA fight, I'll be happy. Next time I hope he dies.

You serious? Man total harsh overreact. He was having some fun.. MMA could use another character and Pro Wrestling is part of Barnett anyways. I think he still does gigs in Japan. I didn't see anything wrong with it, it's not like he isn't a legit top fighter at the same time. And still Diaz's bullshit he's pulled or Bones acting so phony isn't any better.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: SF Thoughts:   SF Thoughts: - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

SF Thoughts:
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next