Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

138 Thoughts

Go down 
+3
cheekynffc
KingsOwn19
bobbitt15
7 posters
AuthorMessage
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

138 Thoughts Empty
PostSubject: 138 Thoughts   138 Thoughts EmptySun Nov 06, 2011 12:51 am

Didn't see all the fights

Renan Barao is the best matchup for Cruz at 135

Leben-Munoz played out pretty much how expected. My thoughts on both fighters remain the same as they were when they entered the cage

Terry Etim comes back and blows out a below average opponent. Apparently they already have another fight lined up for him right away. On the negative side, I'm not sure what language this guy speaks. It can't be English because I didn't understand one fucking word he said

Alves-Abedi was pretty sweet while it lasted. Abedi looks like he could be a nice fighter to watch develop, just got rocked by a big shot. Alves is so technically flawless with the standup, just lacks killer instinct at times and lets himself get held on the fence too long

I don't really care about any of the other shit
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

138 Thoughts Empty
PostSubject: Re: 138 Thoughts   138 Thoughts EmptySun Nov 06, 2011 1:01 am

Watching the tape delay now.

I went to a friends and watched the "Field goal, mistake fest of the century" instead.

I checked my pick ems and pulled a 7-2..with ProElite and the polisg card brings me to 11-2 for the night

<----was right about Leben...again
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

138 Thoughts Empty
PostSubject: Re: 138 Thoughts   138 Thoughts EmptySun Nov 06, 2011 1:21 am

just watched the Barao fight..very impressive.

and by the sound of the commentary, Joe Rogan has found a new man crush.
Back to top Go down
cheekynffc
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : froch, hatton, benn, duran, hagler, ponce de leon

138 Thoughts Empty
PostSubject: Re: 138 Thoughts   138 Thoughts EmptySun Nov 06, 2011 5:06 am

bobbitt15 wrote:

Terry Etim comes back and blows out a below average opponent. Apparently they already have another fight lined up for him right away. On the negative side, I'm not sure what language this guy speaks. It can't be English because I didn't understand one fucking word he said

hahaha,

that was scouse
Back to top Go down
Andrew the Raider King
Red Belt
Red Belt
Andrew the Raider King

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael, Sexyama, Condit, Hendricks, Cowboy, Struve

138 Thoughts Empty
PostSubject: Re: 138 Thoughts   138 Thoughts EmptySun Nov 06, 2011 8:43 am

Eh, it was ok. Fight Night level stuff.
Back to top Go down

138 Thoughts Empty
PostSubject: Re: 138 Thoughts   138 Thoughts EmptySun Nov 06, 2011 2:47 pm

bobbitt15 wrote:
Didn't see all the fights

Renan Barao is the best matchup for Cruz at 135

Leben-Munoz played out pretty much how expected. My thoughts on both fighters remain the same as they were when they entered the cage

Alves-Abedi was pretty sweet while it lasted. Abedi looks like he could be a nice fighter to watch develop, just got rocked by a big shot. Alves is so technically flawless with the standup, just lacks killer instinct at times and lets himself get held on the fence too long

I don't really care about any of the other shit

He's a Scouser from Liverpool. easily the UK's most incoherent dialect.
Back to top Go down

138 Thoughts Empty
PostSubject: Re: 138 Thoughts   138 Thoughts EmptySun Nov 06, 2011 2:48 pm

The card actually turned out to be pretty decent, glad I decided to watch it live.

And LOL at Shad, he just can't catch a break.
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

138 Thoughts Empty
PostSubject: Re: 138 Thoughts   138 Thoughts EmptySun Nov 06, 2011 3:04 pm

Thought the fights were good, and the crowd good as well, but lack of pre event juice and name rec hurt.

Alves vs Abedi was prob my fight of the night If Nick does not get a title fight next I say throw him in there with Alves. No Alves prob does not deserve that high level of a fight, but his rep allows it and the styles warrant it.

I liked Abedi, but he is 33, and I hope they don't now throw him in with a string of wrestlers.
Back to top Go down
Ludo
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
Ludo

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Prodigy, The Great, Viking Dahmer, The Phenom

138 Thoughts Empty
PostSubject: Re: 138 Thoughts   138 Thoughts EmptySun Nov 06, 2011 3:26 pm

I'd like to see Abedi fight Alves again sometime in the near future, that was an awesome fight while it lasted. It's not often we see someone so fearlessly open up on Thiago like that. It's too bad he got caught so early because that could have been a really good fight.
Back to top Go down

138 Thoughts Empty
PostSubject: Re: 138 Thoughts   138 Thoughts EmptySun Nov 06, 2011 3:31 pm

Abedi vs. Hardy !!!!!!
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

138 Thoughts Empty
PostSubject: Re: 138 Thoughts   138 Thoughts EmptySun Nov 06, 2011 3:44 pm

Ali wrote:
Abedi vs. Hardy !!!!!!

that thought crossed my mind as well. But thought it unfair to Hardy.
Back to top Go down

138 Thoughts Empty
PostSubject: Re: 138 Thoughts   138 Thoughts EmptySun Nov 06, 2011 3:46 pm

captain organic wrote:
Ali wrote:
Abedi vs. Hardy !!!!!!

How dare you.
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

138 Thoughts Empty
PostSubject: Re: 138 Thoughts   138 Thoughts EmptySun Nov 06, 2011 3:49 pm

Ali wrote:
captain organic wrote:
Ali wrote:
Abedi vs. Hardy !!!!!!

How dare you.

If he wasn't on the streak he is currently on, I'd be all for it. But the last thing Hardy needs to see right now is a big puncher.
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

138 Thoughts Empty
PostSubject: Re: 138 Thoughts   138 Thoughts EmptySun Nov 06, 2011 10:23 pm

http://www.mmamania.com/2011/11/6/2542767/ufc-138-results-chris-leben-weight-cut-mark-munoz-fight-mma-news

Quote :
After just one round inside the cage with Mark Munoz last night (Sat., Nov. 5, 2011) at UFC 138 in Birmingham, England, Chris Leben was visibly winded.

I'm talking hands on hips, sucking air like a vaccum. He was gassed and it greatly affected his performance. He ultimately lost the fight after his corner called a stop to it at the end of the second round due to his not being able to see via a cut above his eye.

Upon second viewing, though, "The Crippler's" eye looked okay after mere moments after he was attended to by ringside physicians. He said he was "choking on blood" but it certainly didn't look that bad.

As it turns out, his corner had more than one reason to be concerned.

According to a report from Fighters Only, Leben had a terrible weight cut that resulted in his having to lose 21 pounds in just 24 hours. It was so bad, in fact, that officials were apparently monitoring the situation and came extremely close to calling off the fight altogether.

Here's more from the report:

A source close to Leben told Fighters Only on Friday that Leben had been left "shattered" by the amount of weight he had to cut on weigh-in day.

He was in the hotel sauna from Friday morning hooded up and wearing layers of clothing as he sweated water out of his body.

His dehydration and general condition was such that one of the medical team backstage said Leben would be pulled from the fight if thing deteriorated any further.

Cutting weight is nothing new in combat sports, as men like Jon Jones and Forrest Griffin have been known to cut between 20-40 pounds leading up to their fights in the light heavyweight division.

But not in 24 hours. That is, to put it bluntly, absurd.

Fierce competitor that he is, Leben soldiered on and went ahead with the fight but it was obvious from the word go he simply wasn't himself.

And now we know why.

Anyone think this diminishes Munoz's victory? And should fighters be allowed to compete if they have to cut that much weight in that short a time span?

Opinions, please.
Back to top Go down
Ludo
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
Ludo

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Prodigy, The Great, Viking Dahmer, The Phenom

138 Thoughts Empty
PostSubject: Re: 138 Thoughts   138 Thoughts EmptySun Nov 06, 2011 10:37 pm

Ultimately these guys know the risks of cutting weight and how much is too much for them. You can't tell a competitor he "can't" compete because he's cut too much or trained too much, etc etc etc. Chris knew the deal when he went out there, he would have gone out there sick, or bleeding, or with a broken nose if thats what the situation was. Backing out of a fight isn't what these guys do unless they physically cannot fight. Given the circumstances Leben put in a decent performance, being able to reverse Munoz a couple times.

Damn, though, almost 10% of his total weight in a day.
Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Cung Le, BJ Penn, Mayhem, Chael Sonnen, Anthony Pettis

138 Thoughts Empty
PostSubject: Re: 138 Thoughts   138 Thoughts EmptySun Nov 06, 2011 10:56 pm

KingsOwn19 wrote:
just watched the Barao fight..very impressive.

and by the sound of the commentary, Joe Rogan has found a new man crush.

SO TRUE! Barao did take that back better then I have ever seen anyone do it. That was just nuts the way he hopped on his back and locked in both hooks. CRAZY! Rogan has a huge crush on him though. lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

138 Thoughts Empty
PostSubject: Re: 138 Thoughts   138 Thoughts Empty

Back to top Go down

138 Thoughts
Page 1 of 1