Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Dana on recent cuts/Golden Glory relationship

Go down 
+11
MMAEYES
throwdownfight1
killerofchicken
LA
OU
gomez1012
KingsOwn19
Ludo
SOKO
GDPofDRC
bobbitt15
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

Dana on recent cuts/Golden Glory relationship - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dana on recent cuts/Golden Glory relationship   Dana on recent cuts/Golden Glory relationship - Page 4 EmptyThu Aug 11, 2011 11:05 am

GDPofDRC wrote:
I'd love the right terms to be "Alister still fights K-1 Kickboxing". I've never liked the idea of 'you can never compete in another sport' aspect of business.
Wasn't' GSP talking about competing in the Olympics before? Then why can't someone do K-1?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dana on recent cuts/Golden Glory relationship   Dana on recent cuts/Golden Glory relationship - Page 4 EmptyThu Aug 11, 2011 11:05 am

GDPofDRC wrote:
I'd love the right terms to be "Alister still fights K-1 Kickboxing". I've never liked the idea of 'you can never compete in another sport' aspect of business.

I'm on Dana's side in that. You have to look after your own business first.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: Dana on recent cuts/Golden Glory relationship   Dana on recent cuts/Golden Glory relationship - Page 4 EmptyThu Aug 11, 2011 12:09 pm

captain organic wrote:
I tend to think Reem has the leverage here.

Yes the world scene is thin, but he would provide legitimacy to any org that brought him in. And someone has $$$ out there. I'd think the UFC would want to nip that action at the bud.

I think Reem's potential leverage was the primary reason the Zuffa/GG relationship ended the way it did. Reem had 1 fight left on his contract and he was set to face the current highest ranked HW on SF roster. Reem would then be a finalist in the GP but without a contract so Zuffa would have been in a tight situation.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dana on recent cuts/Golden Glory relationship   Dana on recent cuts/Golden Glory relationship - Page 4 EmptyThu Aug 11, 2011 12:16 pm

OU wrote:
GDPofDRC wrote:
Wasn't' GSP talking about competing in the Olympics before? Then why can't someone do K-1?

It was just talk. You saw how quick it ended.
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: Dana on recent cuts/Golden Glory relationship   Dana on recent cuts/Golden Glory relationship - Page 4 EmptyThu Aug 11, 2011 2:04 pm

captain organic wrote:
what's with this board, we get some good heated debate over a very worthwhile topic, and dudes want out?

I mean I guess I can understand bobbit and LA wanting out, their arguments have held up like a sand castle on the north shore, but OU too?

Im a little disappointed in u guys.

Like I said, more interested in breaking down fights than talking about a subject with people who think they are more pure MMA fans than me because I'm glad the UFC bought out SF. No thanks
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva, Jose Aldo

PostSubject: Re: Dana on recent cuts/Golden Glory relationship   Dana on recent cuts/Golden Glory relationship - Page 4 EmptyFri Aug 12, 2011 2:43 am

captain organic wrote:
what's with this board, we get some good heated debate over a very worthwhile topic, and dudes want out?

I mean I guess I can understand bobbit and LA wanting out, their arguments have held up like a sand castle on the north shore, but OU too?

Dude I literally take a piss on your arguments, hey at least you think you're right, that's half of it.., that strikeforce.com crew is quite the influence..

Last edited by LA on Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:00 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

PostSubject: Re: Dana on recent cuts/Golden Glory relationship   Dana on recent cuts/Golden Glory relationship - Page 4 EmptyFri Aug 12, 2011 2:45 am

bobbitt15 wrote:
captain organic wrote:

Like I said, more interested in breaking down fights than talking about a subject with people who think they are more pure MMA fans than me because I'm glad the UFC bought out SF. No thanks

Totally bro, I laugh at that shit.
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

PostSubject: Re: Dana on recent cuts/Golden Glory relationship   Dana on recent cuts/Golden Glory relationship - Page 4 EmptyFri Aug 12, 2011 2:49 am

freakzilla wrote:
Golden Glory Says Alistair Overeem Would Sign a UFC-Only Deal

http://www.mmafighting.com/2011/08/11/golden-glory-says-alistair-overeem-would-sign-a-ufc-only-deal/

Despite the rancor between Golden Glory and the UFC, which resulted in several of the Dutch promotion's fighters being released from their Zuffa contracts, top Golden Glory star Alistair Overeem is still interested in signing an exclusive deal with the UFC.

That is one of the revelations in a statement that Golden Glory co-owner Bas Boon released on Thursday.

"We just want to be able to produce great fighters and create great fights for the fans," Boon said in the statement. "We have no intention for co-promotion deals and are even willing to make an exclusive deal for Alistair Overeem to fight in the UFC, if the terms are right."

Needed it's own thread, "Ok, we can do it your way". Sticking with my Reem's next MMA fight is in the UFC prediction, Title shot, Brock or Mir. This stuff is almost too all over the place from both sides, what if it was all bullshit and just a way to get Reem in the UFC without any hangups.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Dana on recent cuts/Golden Glory relationship   Dana on recent cuts/Golden Glory relationship - Page 4 EmptyFri Aug 12, 2011 8:51 am

LA wrote:
bobbitt15 wrote:
captain organic wrote:

Being happy that the UFC bought SF does not mean you have to accept every thing Zuffa does as the right thing. I LOL at the fact that you will refuse to acknowledge that it is even possible for Zuffa to make a mistake. What is funny is you guys are arguing with people who have "mixed feelings" about the buyout, meaning we acknowledge that there will be some drawbacks. But you guys take such an extreme Zuffa stance, I don't even beleive you anymore. I honestly think you guys are exaggerating your stance just to be stubborn at this point.
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: Dana on recent cuts/Golden Glory relationship   Dana on recent cuts/Golden Glory relationship - Page 4 EmptyFri Aug 12, 2011 9:57 am

LA wrote:
freakzilla wrote:
Golden Glory Says Alistair Overeem Would Sign a UFC-Only Deal

http://www.mmafighting.com/2011/08/11/golden-glory-says-alistair-overeem-would-sign-a-ufc-only-deal/

Despite the rancor between Golden Glory and the UFC, which resulted in several of the Dutch promotion's fighters being released from their Zuffa contracts, top Golden Glory star Alistair Overeem is still interested in signing an exclusive deal with the UFC.

That is one of the revelations in a statement that Golden Glory co-owner Bas Boon released on Thursday.

"We just want to be able to produce great fighters and create great fights for the fans," Boon said in the statement. "We have no intention for co-promotion deals and are even willing to make an exclusive deal for Alistair Overeem to fight in the UFC, if the terms are right."

Needed it's own thread, "Ok, we can do it your way". Sticking with my Reem's next MMA fight is in the UFC prediction, Title shot, Brock or Mir. This stuff is almost too all over the place from both sides, what if it was all bullshit and just a way to get Reem in the UFC without any hangups.

That would be hilarious. Someone posted that article on danas twitter and he said well it looks like we can make a deal then
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

PostSubject: Re: Dana on recent cuts/Golden Glory relationship   Dana on recent cuts/Golden Glory relationship - Page 4 EmptyFri Aug 12, 2011 12:58 pm

OU wrote:
LA wrote:
bobbitt15 wrote:
captain organic wrote:

Being happy that the UFC bought SF does not mean you have to accept every thing Zuffa does as the right thing. I LOL at the fact that you will refuse to acknowledge that it is even possible for Zuffa to make a mistake. What is funny is you guys are arguing with people who have "mixed feelings" about the buyout, meaning we acknowledge that there will be some drawbacks. But you guys take such an extreme Zuffa stance, I don't even beleive you anymore. I honestly think you guys are exaggerating your stance just to be stubborn at this point.

You sound like a Fox News spokesman lol. People who have "mixed feelings" about the buyout but have just happened to not post anything that wasn't 100% anti-zuffa regarding the subject for weeks now. Don't try and play the fair and balanced act here, you're just as strongly on the other side as we are on the pro-buyout side.
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

PostSubject: Re: Dana on recent cuts/Golden Glory relationship   Dana on recent cuts/Golden Glory relationship - Page 4 EmptyFri Aug 12, 2011 1:14 pm

Comment From Peter from London
Any further thoughts on Golden Glory after Bas Boon's release? How realistic is a possible deal for Overeem in the near future?

1:13

Jordan Breen: I think they're going to be another company forced to adapt to changing rules in the MMA atmosphere. Trying to renege on contracts and hold people hostage for money isn't going to get you places dealing with Zuffa, or even Bellator, for that matter.

Jordan Breen: Connected to that, Zuffa are continuing to find really how duplicitous Scott Coker was in his backroom dealings. To say that the inmates ran the asylum would be a generous understatement.
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

PostSubject: Re: Dana on recent cuts/Golden Glory relationship   Dana on recent cuts/Golden Glory relationship - Page 4 EmptyFri Aug 12, 2011 1:16 pm

Reem will be in the UFC eventually. Its just a matter of when
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Dana on recent cuts/Golden Glory relationship   Dana on recent cuts/Golden Glory relationship - Page 4 EmptyFri Aug 12, 2011 1:19 pm

I think I have shown my willingness to support Zuffa and I have plenty of positive things to say about the organization on a regular basis. Now regarding the SF situation/buyout I have had plenty of negative things to say because many of the things they have done regarding the whole situation have not been positive. I don't think they are acting in the best interest of SF as an organization or the fans of that organization.
But it's just silly to assume I hate Zuffa considering I pay for every single event, regardless of who is fighting on the cards. I went out of my way to create a Facebook account for the soul purpose of watching UFC fights. I talk favorably about UFC fighters and matchups on a daily basis. I'm clearly a supporter of Zuffa. But that doesn't mean I have to agree with every decision or be naive enough to think they always have MY best interest as a fan in mind. That would be silly.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Dana on recent cuts/Golden Glory relationship   Dana on recent cuts/Golden Glory relationship - Page 4 EmptyFri Aug 12, 2011 1:22 pm

It's the ignorant/stubborn line of thinking that Zuffa can and will do no wrong with the buyout that fuel most of the negative comments. Said it the day it happened but you guys would refuse to believe that they would handle the situation anything less then 100% perfect. Just like what was pointed out day 1 of the buyout there are some obvious draw backs to this buyout. Everyone should clearly see that at this point.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Dana on recent cuts/Golden Glory relationship   Dana on recent cuts/Golden Glory relationship - Page 4 EmptyFri Aug 12, 2011 1:23 pm

bobbitt15 wrote:
That's just the kind of blind faith in Zuffa that puzzles me.
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

PostSubject: Re: Dana on recent cuts/Golden Glory relationship   Dana on recent cuts/Golden Glory relationship - Page 4 EmptyFri Aug 12, 2011 1:28 pm

OU wrote:
I think I have shown my willingness to support Zuffa and I have plenty of positive things to say about the organization on a regular basis. Now regarding the SF situation/buyout I have had plenty of negative things to say because many of the things they have done regarding the whole situation have not been positive. I don't think they are acting in the best interest of SF as an organization or the fans of that organization.
But it's just silly to assume I hate Zuffa considering I pay for every single event, regardless of who is fighting on the cards. I went out of my way to create a Facebook account for the soul purpose of watching UFC fights. I talk favorably about UFC fighters and matchups on a daily basis. I'm clearly a supporter of Zuffa. But that doesn't mean I have to agree with every decision or be naive enough to think they always have MY best interest as a fan in mind. That would be silly.

I'm not talking about all things Zuffa, I'm talking about this specific issue. There's one side that has been pro-zuffa and one that has been anti-zuffa. No one is sitting in the middle here. Its pretty obvious there are people here who having been bashing Zuffa for literally everything since the buyout occurred, yet those of us who are still in favor of it are painted as the only ones that are being totally biased. Not feeling it
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

PostSubject: Re: Dana on recent cuts/Golden Glory relationship   Dana on recent cuts/Golden Glory relationship - Page 4 EmptyFri Aug 12, 2011 1:29 pm

OU wrote:
bobbitt15 wrote:
That's just the kind of blind faith in Zuffa that puzzles me.

Its a view that's shared by the vast majority of MMA analysts out there, not sure what blind faith in Zuffa has to do with it. As soon as Golden Glory realizes its a battle they won't win, which they may already have then things will get done
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Dana on recent cuts/Golden Glory relationship   Dana on recent cuts/Golden Glory relationship - Page 4 EmptyFri Aug 12, 2011 1:36 pm

bobbitt15 wrote:
OU wrote:

I'm not talking about all things Zuffa, I'm talking about this specific issue. There's one side that has been pro-zuffa and one that has been anti-zuffa. No one is sitting in the middle here. Its pretty obvious there are people here who having been bashing Zuffa for literally everything since the buyout occurred, yet those of us who are still in favor of it are painted as the only ones that are being totally biased. Not feeling it
Alright fair enough. I was a big fan of SF and hopeful that SF would remain ATLEAST on the level it was when the buyout occurred. Wishful thinking had me hoping that Zuffa's marketing could even improve it. But just about everything done regarding SF since the buyout has been just the opposite. I'm not hopeful that SF will remain as a quality product or they will have any interest in women's MMA in the long term. Definitely been some disappointing moves for me as a fan and I just don't understand why you guys feel it's all done for the good of the sport. I will acknowledge that you guys have pushed me further to the other side with your line of thinking.
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

PostSubject: Re: Dana on recent cuts/Golden Glory relationship   Dana on recent cuts/Golden Glory relationship - Page 4 EmptyFri Aug 12, 2011 1:45 pm

When the buyout occurred, I was more hopeful of the best fighters being housed under one roof than I was with SF continuing as some quality MMA promotion. That would be the exact opposite reason I was pumped about the buyout.

Its also becoming clear since all this has gone down that Coker had really made some shitty business decisions for SF. I'm not sure how long that could've continued
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Dana on recent cuts/Golden Glory relationship   Dana on recent cuts/Golden Glory relationship - Page 4 EmptyFri Aug 12, 2011 2:10 pm

bobbitt15 wrote:
When the buyout occurred, I was more hopeful of the best fighters being housed under one roof than I was with SF continuing as some quality MMA promotion. That would be the exact opposite reason I was pumped about the buyout.

Its also becoming clear since all this has gone down that Coker had really made some shitty business decisions for SF. I'm not sure how long that could've continued
When the day finally comes where we see some of the matchups we have drooled over, then I'm sure the grumblings will slow down. But I have always been worried about some the drawbacks in getting to that point. I have a hard believing that all the fighters we want to be involved in the super fights will make it on over to the UFC. Hopefully we get as many as possible but still I'm sure some key fighters for whatever reason won't make it over.

As far a Coker, you could be right. It might have been a matter of time and we still don't really know exactly what was going on there. But you could be right and when it all comes to light I could be cursing the name Scott Coker.
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

PostSubject: Re: Dana on recent cuts/Golden Glory relationship   Dana on recent cuts/Golden Glory relationship - Page 4 EmptyFri Aug 12, 2011 7:12 pm

http://www.mmamania.com/2011/8/12/2360047/report-alistair-overeem-not-released-by-strikeforce-or-stripped-of

Quote :
Tumbling, tumbling down, to see how far it goes.

The ongoing saga of Alistair Overeem and his being released by Zuffa has taken yet another turn to the bizarre. Apparently, "The Reem" has not been released by Strikeforce and he is still the promotion's heavyweight champion.

This according to a recent report from ESPN, who go on to say that Overeem is currently in a negotiation period with Zuffa:

Despite exercising its right to terminate the final fight on Alistair Overeem's contract, Forza LLC, which operates Strikeforce and is a subsidiary of UFC's parent company, Zuffa LLC, has not released the Strikeforce heavyweight champion.

Bas Boon, who represents Overeem through Dutch management firm Golden Glory, clarified to ESPN.com that the 31-year-old fighter is currently "in a negotiation period with Zuffa." Boon declined to discuss details, though sources familiar with the arrangement between Overeem and Strikeforce explained the fighter is bound to exclusive and separate 120-day negotiation and matching periods with the Las Vegas-based promoter.

This comes on the heels of the recent statement released by Golden Glory stating they have absolutely no problems with complying to the contractual demands made by Zuffa, namely that its fighters get paid directly.

Boon even went a step further and offered the UFC an exclusive contract for "Demolition Man," who has been entertaining the idea of boxing (or posturing, depending on your leanings) and is always itching to compete in kickboxing.

There may be a small issue with that, however. Apparently, Overeem is still the Strikeforce heavyweight champion thanks to the dreaded "champions clause."

In addition to the exclusive negotiation period and, if necessary, a subsequent matching timeframe, a source with knowledge of Overeem's contract said the fighter was not stripped of his Strikeforce belt and remains tied to the promotion via the so-called "champions clause," a common passage in fighter contracts that allows MMA promoters to maintain contractual rights to titleholders after their deals expire.

This, of course, does not mean a deal cannot be worked out between Overeem and UFC leading to the deadly Dutchman competing inside the Octagon.

One need look no further than Nick Diaz vacating his Strikeforce welterweight title for the chance to jump sides to fight Georges St. Pierre at UFC 137 later this year.

But with the heavyweight grand prix set to conclude sometime early next year, it would seem prudent to get Overeem back in the fold so the winner of said tournament can challenge for the heavyweight title, the way most believe it should have been all along.

Or "The Reem" could simply drop the belt and jump to the UFC and the winner of the grand prix becomes the new champion.

Obviously, there are plenty of options available for all involved and it would seem as though we're inching closer and closer to resolution to a problem no one wanted or needed.

Good news, right? Any Maniacs want to play the bossman and figure out how everything will shake out in the coming weeks and months?

Let's hear it.

Reem will be finding his way to the UFC at some point. Maybe sooner than we all expected
Back to top Go down
killerofchicken
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
killerofchicken

Favorite Fighter(s) : Mauricio Shogun Rua, BJ Penn, AXE MURDERER,Fedor, CroCop, Vitor Belfort, JDS

PostSubject: Re: Dana on recent cuts/Golden Glory relationship   Dana on recent cuts/Golden Glory relationship - Page 4 EmptyFri Aug 12, 2011 7:14 pm

http://t.co/k70PWrM

Reem not cut! In discussion with ZUFFA
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Dana on recent cuts/Golden Glory relationship   Dana on recent cuts/Golden Glory relationship - Page 4 EmptyFri Aug 12, 2011 7:19 pm

bobbitt15 wrote:
Comment From Peter from London

Jordan Breen: Connected to that, Zuffa are continuing to find really how duplicitous Scott Coker was in his backroom dealings. To say that the inmates ran the asylum would be a generous understatement.

those inmates did pretty well running that shit. Silicon Valley Sports & Entertainment walked away with $40 million.
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Dana on recent cuts/Golden Glory relationship   Dana on recent cuts/Golden Glory relationship - Page 4 EmptyFri Aug 12, 2011 7:20 pm

Fuck I was hoping proelite would nab him up.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dana on recent cuts/Golden Glory relationship   Dana on recent cuts/Golden Glory relationship - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Dana on recent cuts/Golden Glory relationship
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next