Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Marloes Coenen and Valentijn Overeem cut from Stikeforce, Jon Olav Einemo released from UFC

Go down 
+10
KingsOwn19
throwdownfight1
bobbitt15
Primetyme199
GDPofDRC
cascade_run
Andrew the Raider King
SOKO
OU
killerofchicken
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

Marloes Coenen and Valentijn Overeem cut from Stikeforce, Jon Olav Einemo released from UFC - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Marloes Coenen and Valentijn Overeem cut from Stikeforce, Jon Olav Einemo released from UFC   Marloes Coenen and Valentijn Overeem cut from Stikeforce, Jon Olav Einemo released from UFC - Page 4 EmptyWed Aug 03, 2011 5:33 pm

I think it's absolutely hilarious that some people refuse to admit the UFC could even possibly do something wrong. The complete confidence that they will do no wrong is flat out mind blowing. It's OK if you don't agree with Zuffa's every move. Your fanhood will remain intact. It's OK to say "I think Zuffa fucked up here".
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

Marloes Coenen and Valentijn Overeem cut from Stikeforce, Jon Olav Einemo released from UFC - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Marloes Coenen and Valentijn Overeem cut from Stikeforce, Jon Olav Einemo released from UFC   Marloes Coenen and Valentijn Overeem cut from Stikeforce, Jon Olav Einemo released from UFC - Page 4 EmptyWed Aug 03, 2011 5:39 pm

It always OK to hold back on saying "Fuck Zuffa and Dana" without having any details of why something happened every once in a while too. That pretty much never seems to happen around here. You need some people on the other side of the fence too
Back to top Go down
killerofchicken
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
killerofchicken

Favorite Fighter(s) : Mauricio Shogun Rua, BJ Penn, AXE MURDERER,Fedor, CroCop, Vitor Belfort, JDS

PostSubject: Re: Marloes Coenen and Valentijn Overeem cut from Stikeforce, Jon Olav Einemo released from UFC   Marloes Coenen and Valentijn Overeem cut from Stikeforce, Jon Olav Einemo released from UFC - Page 4 EmptyWed Aug 03, 2011 5:42 pm

you better hop that fence bobbitt! don't make me make u
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: Marloes Coenen and Valentijn Overeem cut from Stikeforce, Jon Olav Einemo released from UFC   Marloes Coenen and Valentijn Overeem cut from Stikeforce, Jon Olav Einemo released from UFC - Page 4 EmptyWed Aug 03, 2011 5:43 pm

bobbitt15 wrote:
It always OK to hold back on saying "Fuck Zuffa and Dana" without having any details of why something happened every once in a while too. That pretty much never seems to happen around here. You need some people on the other side of the fence too
Seems like the majority of posters are standing on your side of the fence. I have a hard time taking some of it at face value and think it is often times exaggerated to oppose my side of the fence. But I'm sure you probably feel the same way. I'm just not buying that you guys refuse to even give any consideration to the idea of the UFC making a bad move.
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Marloes Coenen and Valentijn Overeem cut from Stikeforce, Jon Olav Einemo released from UFC   Marloes Coenen and Valentijn Overeem cut from Stikeforce, Jon Olav Einemo released from UFC - Page 4 EmptyWed Aug 03, 2011 5:44 pm

I'm with OU here.

And I've seen it both ways in that there are the weirdo UFC haters as well.

But why does objectivity have to be thrown out the window?

Why does spin have to be in play here. Coenen got screwed here. Reem got screwed too. Champs just don't get cut, and tourneys ruined because of injury.
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva, Jose Aldo

PostSubject: Re: Marloes Coenen and Valentijn Overeem cut from Stikeforce, Jon Olav Einemo released from UFC   Marloes Coenen and Valentijn Overeem cut from Stikeforce, Jon Olav Einemo released from UFC - Page 4 EmptyWed Aug 03, 2011 5:46 pm

But you don't know anything, all you saw was fighters cut without knowing anything or thinking outside the box in any way shape or form.

I could literally rip any Org in the World to shreads if I wanted to, I get boths sides of things though.

Challengers series moved to Vegas? Moronic, that's a travelling show, have fun comping 50% of you tickets until you decide what to do with it. Same time, close to their home base, small insignificant part of their company they can put minimal effort into close to home.

Lack of interest in WMMA? Not smart, even if it loses money you want to play to that element of the sport, do you really want it to seem like you think it's a Man's World? Same time, WMMA does not make money unless the best chick is dominant and beautiful.

Dana slandering Fedor on twitter again? This is the President of the company? Do I need to elaborate? Have fun never signing him to fight in the UFC. Same time, they wanted to Co-Pro with the biggest company in the business, for one fucking fighter? I'm sure those contract discussion were annoying to say the least. Losing 3 fights doesn't look great either after all that.

And I could go on and on and on, but it's not simple black and white issues.

Last edited by LA on Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

PostSubject: Re: Marloes Coenen and Valentijn Overeem cut from Stikeforce, Jon Olav Einemo released from UFC   Marloes Coenen and Valentijn Overeem cut from Stikeforce, Jon Olav Einemo released from UFC - Page 4 EmptyWed Aug 03, 2011 5:47 pm

I started that posts ago...but whateves
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Marloes Coenen and Valentijn Overeem cut from Stikeforce, Jon Olav Einemo released from UFC   Marloes Coenen and Valentijn Overeem cut from Stikeforce, Jon Olav Einemo released from UFC - Page 4 EmptyWed Aug 03, 2011 5:53 pm

In terms of the NFL comparisons.

1)there are 30 teams in the NFL. So if a player gets screwed by one team, he can go to another team.

2)Who actually roots for the NFL? Fans root for teams. And fans of those teams(at least here in NY) often criticize those teams. Often.

3)when has the NFL ever cut a player because that players training partner is thinking about starting a league, The NFL is not the least bit concerned about some small scale league. But Zuffa has a history of swinging a heavy hammer in an effort to crush these smaller promotions.

4)NFL players have a union to counterbalance the power of the monopoly, so that bs like this does not happen.

Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

PostSubject: Re: Marloes Coenen and Valentijn Overeem cut from Stikeforce, Jon Olav Einemo released from UFC   Marloes Coenen and Valentijn Overeem cut from Stikeforce, Jon Olav Einemo released from UFC - Page 4 EmptyWed Aug 03, 2011 5:58 pm

The NFL is too huge now for any competition, that ship has sailed. Just a year ago people thought SF was nipping at the UFC's toes, paranoia about outstarts and competition is still very reasonable.

This sport is barely 10 years old in terms of actually being a big time sport, we always forget that.

There was no NFL comparison, the point was that if Vick did his own thing against the league no one would give a shit cause the league is far bigger then one player.
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

PostSubject: Re: Marloes Coenen and Valentijn Overeem cut from Stikeforce, Jon Olav Einemo released from UFC   Marloes Coenen and Valentijn Overeem cut from Stikeforce, Jon Olav Einemo released from UFC - Page 4 EmptyWed Aug 03, 2011 6:03 pm

And it's looking like Golden Glory is trying to put on it's M-1 suit.........
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

PostSubject: Re: Marloes Coenen and Valentijn Overeem cut from Stikeforce, Jon Olav Einemo released from UFC   Marloes Coenen and Valentijn Overeem cut from Stikeforce, Jon Olav Einemo released from UFC - Page 4 EmptyWed Aug 03, 2011 6:06 pm

Who is GG trying to co-promote with again, I've missed something there.

And why should I want less fighters fighting shows again, I don't think I like broccoli.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/v/skCV2L0c6K0
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

PostSubject: Re: Marloes Coenen and Valentijn Overeem cut from Stikeforce, Jon Olav Einemo released from UFC   Marloes Coenen and Valentijn Overeem cut from Stikeforce, Jon Olav Einemo released from UFC - Page 4 EmptyWed Aug 03, 2011 6:13 pm

They're trying to promote shows in the US ala M-1 it appears, different sport or not, don't shit where you eat, or eat where you shit? or does that even work here? Sort of, but this is my(Zuffa) neighborhood, and you're part of my Org, that element makes complete sense.

Fighting on shows? You lost two ones you even care about, 2, not 30 remember, we also know nothing of what went down.
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

PostSubject: Re: Marloes Coenen and Valentijn Overeem cut from Stikeforce, Jon Olav Einemo released from UFC   Marloes Coenen and Valentijn Overeem cut from Stikeforce, Jon Olav Einemo released from UFC - Page 4 EmptyWed Aug 03, 2011 6:22 pm

Well I think that would be great if GG got some US shows, more fight cards, fight fans win.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/v/skCV2L0c6K0
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

PostSubject: Re: Marloes Coenen and Valentijn Overeem cut from Stikeforce, Jon Olav Einemo released from UFC   Marloes Coenen and Valentijn Overeem cut from Stikeforce, Jon Olav Einemo released from UFC - Page 4 EmptyWed Aug 03, 2011 6:30 pm

For sure, but then again fighters managed by that company are signed to Zuffa contracts, there in lies possible issues. Still think hardball is part of it as well, many things could be in play. For all I know the promoting in the US card could be shit, I could see it, but simply read it somewhere.
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Marloes Coenen and Valentijn Overeem cut from Stikeforce, Jon Olav Einemo released from UFC   Marloes Coenen and Valentijn Overeem cut from Stikeforce, Jon Olav Einemo released from UFC - Page 4 EmptyWed Aug 03, 2011 6:32 pm

What is becoming clear here is:

1)SF will not be a high level org for long. And imo it prob will not even exist in the not too distant.

2)There are numerous organizations that will be there to fill that void.

Zuffa may have picked off their biggest competitor, but they will need to have a crate full of ammo if they hope to keep these guys out of the spot light. There are too many fighters, and too many TV outlets looking to make $$$ by showcasing these fighters.

If it's not Bellator, it's M-1, or it's Shark Fights, or Pro Elite, or Golden Glory etc etc.

Back to top Go down
Ludo
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
Ludo

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Prodigy, The Great, Viking Dahmer, The Phenom

PostSubject: Re: Marloes Coenen and Valentijn Overeem cut from Stikeforce, Jon Olav Einemo released from UFC   Marloes Coenen and Valentijn Overeem cut from Stikeforce, Jon Olav Einemo released from UFC - Page 4 EmptyWed Aug 03, 2011 6:45 pm

But the staff of Pro Elite weren't under Zuffa contract when they decided to start promoting. This is essentially where the problem is. Everything was fine until someone, somewhere got wind that these guys planned to host events in the States. Had they just been doing it out in Europe I don't think anyone would have cared to be honest.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: Marloes Coenen and Valentijn Overeem cut from Stikeforce, Jon Olav Einemo released from UFC   Marloes Coenen and Valentijn Overeem cut from Stikeforce, Jon Olav Einemo released from UFC - Page 4 EmptyWed Aug 03, 2011 8:45 pm

feel bad for Coenen, sucks for womans mma in general, I wonder if Alistair comes to UFC,
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Marloes Coenen and Valentijn Overeem cut from Stikeforce, Jon Olav Einemo released from UFC   Marloes Coenen and Valentijn Overeem cut from Stikeforce, Jon Olav Einemo released from UFC - Page 4 EmptyWed Aug 03, 2011 8:58 pm

Birdofthad wrote:
feel bad for Coenen, sucks for womans mma in general, I wonder if Alistair comes to UFC,

Reem going to the UFC does not jive with the current story line.

And Reem is not in a great situation because he does not have good relations with M-1 who I see as a dark horse on the MMA scene, so his options are limited, which will hurt his pocket book.

Bellator would be the best non zuffa fit competitive wise, but will they break the bank to bring him in? Could Pro Elite step up with the $$$$ that quickly? Maybe he acts as the Golden Glory poster boy for the time being. Dunno.

The Reem situation is both very interesting and very frustrating.
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: Marloes Coenen and Valentijn Overeem cut from Stikeforce, Jon Olav Einemo released from UFC   Marloes Coenen and Valentijn Overeem cut from Stikeforce, Jon Olav Einemo released from UFC - Page 4 EmptyWed Aug 03, 2011 9:27 pm

Bellator doesn't have Reem money. Not sure I see him fighting in the States if ain't in the big show
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

PostSubject: Re: Marloes Coenen and Valentijn Overeem cut from Stikeforce, Jon Olav Einemo released from UFC   Marloes Coenen and Valentijn Overeem cut from Stikeforce, Jon Olav Einemo released from UFC - Page 4 EmptyWed Aug 03, 2011 9:31 pm

Bas Boon said a press release regarding the cuts will be sent out soon
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Marloes Coenen and Valentijn Overeem cut from Stikeforce, Jon Olav Einemo released from UFC   Marloes Coenen and Valentijn Overeem cut from Stikeforce, Jon Olav Einemo released from UFC - Page 4 EmptyWed Aug 03, 2011 10:20 pm

bobbitt15 wrote:
Bellator doesn't have Reem money. Not sure I see him fighting in the States if ain't in the big show

Agree, he is currently bigger then the current Bellator budget. But given the very good ratings of Bellators first season on the channel, as well as Reem's popularity and high ranking, would MTV open open up the checkbook in order to take that next step?

And there is also Spike. Who knows how they proceed post Zuffa(is that final yet, and is there a timeline on when UFC vacates the channel?).

again, very interesting to see how it plays out.

Back to top Go down
killerofchicken
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
killerofchicken

Favorite Fighter(s) : Mauricio Shogun Rua, BJ Penn, AXE MURDERER,Fedor, CroCop, Vitor Belfort, JDS

PostSubject: Re: Marloes Coenen and Valentijn Overeem cut from Stikeforce, Jon Olav Einemo released from UFC   Marloes Coenen and Valentijn Overeem cut from Stikeforce, Jon Olav Einemo released from UFC - Page 4 EmptyThu Aug 04, 2011 9:58 am

Quote :
"Well, you know, Mauro, that whole thing about Alistair (Overeem), I think it's been documented," Coker said. "I think it's been regurgitated over and over so I don't know if we have to get into that. But with Valentijn (Overeem) and Marloes (Coenen), you know, right now, there's only so many TV spots, as you know, until the middle of next year. And, uh, they're, um, you know, in this business, you've gotta keep winning. So, to me, it was a situation where Valentijn had that loss, I believe in June, so that was already in the works anyway. It just seems sudden to everybody because it just all happened this week. But that was already on its way for Valentijn. The slots are going to be for the fighters that are victorious right now. We have a lot of athletes under contract and we have to get everybody fights and there's only so many slots. There's only so many TV dates, we only have two more TV dates on the big show before the end of the year. September is already full, December is getting full and then January is hopefully are finals and that's going to have a full card already. So in fairness to the athletes, why just let them hang around? It's a much fairer situation to let them go fight elsewhere and create another future somewhere else."

LOL what a load of shit! Notice how he mentions Coenens name to start the paragraph and then doesn't give ONE reason they dropped her, THE FORMER CHAMP!!!
Back to top Go down
killerofchicken
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
killerofchicken

PostSubject: Re: Marloes Coenen and Valentijn Overeem cut from Stikeforce, Jon Olav Einemo released from UFC   Marloes Coenen and Valentijn Overeem cut from Stikeforce, Jon Olav Einemo released from UFC - Page 4 EmptyThu Aug 04, 2011 9:59 am

if that there isn't an indication of the future of SF then i don't know what is
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Marloes Coenen and Valentijn Overeem cut from Stikeforce, Jon Olav Einemo released from UFC   Marloes Coenen and Valentijn Overeem cut from Stikeforce, Jon Olav Einemo released from UFC - Page 4 EmptyThu Aug 04, 2011 10:04 am

So Coker is saying that they don't have very many cards remaining so they are doing her a favor by releasing her rather then making her hang around when they don't have a slot for her. I'm not buying it.
Back to top Go down
Primetyme199
Brown Belt
Brown Belt
Primetyme199

PostSubject: Re: Marloes Coenen and Valentijn Overeem cut from Stikeforce, Jon Olav Einemo released from UFC   Marloes Coenen and Valentijn Overeem cut from Stikeforce, Jon Olav Einemo released from UFC - Page 4 EmptyThu Aug 04, 2011 10:11 am

She wasn't going to fight again this year but it's still a bs excuse.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Marloes Coenen and Valentijn Overeem cut from Stikeforce, Jon Olav Einemo released from UFC   Marloes Coenen and Valentijn Overeem cut from Stikeforce, Jon Olav Einemo released from UFC - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Marloes Coenen and Valentijn Overeem cut from Stikeforce, Jon Olav Einemo released from UFC
Page 4 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next