Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Melendez to fight May 19, Cesar wants BJ or Pettis

Go down 
+4
Ninja
bobbitt15
Wolfgangsta
OU
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

Melendez to fight May 19, Cesar wants BJ or Pettis Empty
PostSubject: Melendez to fight May 19, Cesar wants BJ or Pettis   Melendez to fight May 19, Cesar wants BJ or Pettis EmptyMon Mar 12, 2012 4:19 pm

http://mmajunkie.com/news/27812/strikeforce-champ-melendez-fights-may-19-coach-stumps-for-penn-or-pettis.mma
Strikeforce lightweight champion Gilbert Melendez (20-2 MMA, 10-1 SF) will fight at the organization's recently announced May 19 event.

Against whom? That's a good question.

However, one of Melendez's coaches, Cesar Gracie, has two suggestions: current UFC fighters B.J. Penn or Anthony Pettis.

However, multiple sources told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) no opponent has been determined as of yet. Additionally, the champ's manager, Gil Melendez Sr., declined comment. But today on Twitter, Gracie stated, "I hope (it's) Penn or Pettis."

UFC president Dana White recently opened the door for the possibility of current UFC fighters moving to their sister promotion, but as of now, no major names have joined Strikeforce. Pettis recently saw a planned title fight with new champ Benson Henderson instead given to Frankie Edgar, and Penn hinted at retirement following a welterweight loss to Nick Diaz in October that moved him to 1-3-1 in his past five fights.

Additionally, there are some deserving contenders already under Strikeforce contract. For example, Josh Thomson recently defeated K.J. Noons in what many believed was a No. 1 contender's fight, and Pat Healy has moved into contention with four consecutive Strikeforce wins. However, Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker wouldn't confirm after the fighters' March 3 wins that either is next in line for a shot at Melendez's belt.

As MMAjunkie.com recently reported, the May 19 Strikeforce event is likely to take place at HP Pavilion in San Jose, Calif. Melendez's title fight would be part of the Showtime-televised main card that also includes the Daniel Cormier vs. Josh Barnett heavyweight-grand-prix finale.

Melendez, who's one of the top fighters not currently fighting in the UFC, made his third consecutive title defense with a unanimous-decision victory over Jorge Masvidal in December. He's now 7-1 in his past eight fights. The lone loss came in a 2008 title fight with Thomson, though Melendez avenged the defeat a year later as part of his current six-fight win streak.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: Melendez to fight May 19, Cesar wants BJ or Pettis   Melendez to fight May 19, Cesar wants BJ or Pettis EmptyMon Mar 12, 2012 4:23 pm

Healy vs Thompson sounds good while Gil takes on Pettis.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Melendez to fight May 19, Cesar wants BJ or Pettis   Melendez to fight May 19, Cesar wants BJ or Pettis EmptyMon Mar 12, 2012 4:23 pm

Getting a fight with Melendez would be a nice consolation for Pettis.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Melendez to fight May 19, Cesar wants BJ or Pettis   Melendez to fight May 19, Cesar wants BJ or Pettis EmptyMon Mar 12, 2012 8:13 pm

I would love to see Melendez vs Pettis. I actually called for that fight when Dana announced Edgar-Maynard 3.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

PostSubject: Re: Melendez to fight May 19, Cesar wants BJ or Pettis   Melendez to fight May 19, Cesar wants BJ or Pettis EmptyMon Mar 12, 2012 9:29 pm

Pettis is a guy a lot of us geniuses here at NP's have been predicting at various times. Everyone toot each others horns. (no homo[kinda homo])

I know the UFC brand has all the power, but the fact is, the SF champions have been coming over to the UFC and wrecking the faces of former and still heavily regarded recent UFC champs. Diaz busted Penn up and fought a clooose fight with Condit some thing we won and at the very least made Condit look like a pussy in, Hendo beat Shogun from pillar to post mostly in one of the best fights of all time(someone kill that fat bitch for me) and Overeem gave Lesnar a third bout with diverticulitis, so the Strikeforce champions have been proven to be legitimate top level fighters, and Melendez before Overeem's recent rise, has long been considered the best of the bunch relative to his weight class. 12 months ago, of those four names, only Melendez was argued legitimately as a possible number 1 light weight. Showtime is young, and will have tons of opportunity to fight in the UFC. He should add to that bling on his wall by snagging the Strikeforce title in route to getting his chance at UFC gold. If he pulled it off, he'd be the only Zuffa triple crown winner. That would be fucking bad ass.

And, his name is Showtime. Why not fight ON SHOWTIME?
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif

PostSubject: Re: Melendez to fight May 19, Cesar wants BJ or Pettis   Melendez to fight May 19, Cesar wants BJ or Pettis EmptyMon Mar 12, 2012 9:31 pm

I think Melendez beats Pettis but it would be an awesome fight.
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: Melendez to fight May 19, Cesar wants BJ or Pettis   Melendez to fight May 19, Cesar wants BJ or Pettis EmptyMon Mar 12, 2012 10:02 pm

I think Pettis over the course of five rounds presents a lot of issues for Gil. Especially if he went straight standup like he has been lately
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Melendez to fight May 19, Cesar wants BJ or Pettis   Melendez to fight May 19, Cesar wants BJ or Pettis EmptyMon Mar 12, 2012 10:29 pm

I'd lean Gilbert but it would be like 55/45. I'd have to watch a bunch of their recent fights again.
Back to top Go down
Ninja
Administrator
Administrator
Ninja

Favorite Fighter(s) : Anyone with the last name Rua or Emelianenko and Uncle Creepy

PostSubject: Re: Melendez to fight May 19, Cesar wants BJ or Pettis   Melendez to fight May 19, Cesar wants BJ or Pettis EmptyMon Mar 12, 2012 10:29 pm

MiddleEasy ‏ @MiddleEasy

*cough* Gilbert Melendez vs. Anthony Pettis, May 19th in Strikeforce. *cough*
Back to top Go down
https://ninjasplace.forumotion.net
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Melendez to fight May 19, Cesar wants BJ or Pettis   Melendez to fight May 19, Cesar wants BJ or Pettis EmptyTue Mar 13, 2012 12:12 am

This would be a HUGE moment in the history of Zuffa. Only in the cases of lower level guys who needed development, dropped weight classes to non UFC classes, or were off losses and had their contracts renegotiated did they ever ship anyone from the UFC to the WEC. I know there were a couple instances of guys not off losses or changing classes bounced over if memory serves me correctly, but I cant remember who. But nothing like this. No names. No contenders have ever been moved from the big league to the secondary league.

This is awesome for Strikeforce, fighters, and fans. This is a Raw/Smackdown scenario. This is an intercontinental title. I love it. War Zuffa.
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

Favorite Fighter(s) : Griffin, Franklin, Hendo, Sonnen, Wand, Lawler, Belfort, Pettis, Aldo, Mousasi

PostSubject: Re: Melendez to fight May 19, Cesar wants BJ or Pettis   Melendez to fight May 19, Cesar wants BJ or Pettis EmptyTue Mar 13, 2012 1:08 am

Only way this fight happens is if Gil moves to the UFC.

And I like Showtime in this one. His striking is too strong for Gil. His wrestling defense is so so but ever improving. His attacks off his back and ability to stand back up is tremendous.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Melendez to fight May 19, Cesar wants BJ or Pettis   Melendez to fight May 19, Cesar wants BJ or Pettis EmptyTue Mar 13, 2012 1:27 am

Why do you say that is the only way it happens? Cause of Pettis' post fight comments? A check with phat zeros changes the hell out of that, and PPV points for LW's means exactly nothing. Gilbert may be the best boxer at 55, so I don't think it is clear who is too good for who here. Pettis has never had to deal with a guy with the punching speed and angles of a Melendez. Pettis and Melendez very different but high level styles which could lead to a very interesting fight indeed.
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

Favorite Fighter(s) : Griffin, Franklin, Hendo, Sonnen, Wand, Lawler, Belfort, Pettis, Aldo, Mousasi

PostSubject: Re: Melendez to fight May 19, Cesar wants BJ or Pettis   Melendez to fight May 19, Cesar wants BJ or Pettis EmptyTue Mar 13, 2012 4:02 am

Wolfgangsta wrote:
Why do you say that is the only way it happens? Cause of Pettis' post fight comments? A check with phat zeros changes the hell out of that, and PPV points for LW's means exactly nothing. Gilbert may be the best boxer at 55, so I don't think it is clear who is too good for who here. Pettis has never had to deal with a guy with the punching speed and angles of a Melendez. Pettis and Melendez very different but high level styles which could lead to a very interesting fight indeed.

I think Edgar is a better boxer than Gil too, but that is a different subject. I like the fight. Think it'll be great, but why would someone leave the big leagues for the minors? He's so close to a title shot anyway. He could just as easily fight Cowboy or Diaz and get a shot at Bendo again.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Melendez to fight May 19, Cesar wants BJ or Pettis   Melendez to fight May 19, Cesar wants BJ or Pettis EmptyTue Mar 13, 2012 9:37 am

Farmer1906 wrote:
Wolfgangsta wrote:

I think Edgar is a better boxer than Gil too, but that is a different subject. I like the fight. Think it'll be great, but why would someone leave the big leagues for the minors? He's so close to a title shot anyway. He could just as easily fight Cowboy or Diaz and get a shot at Bendo again.

Gil is a definite top 4 LW and the highest ranked available fighter right now. If Pettis wins it would mean he has held the WEC and Strikeforce LW titles and would get the next shot at the UFC title. I love this fight and I hope it happens.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Melendez to fight May 19, Cesar wants BJ or Pettis   Melendez to fight May 19, Cesar wants BJ or Pettis EmptyTue Mar 13, 2012 9:44 am

Dana said from day 1 that it would alot easier for them to have UFC guys cross over to SF then the other way around. Remember the Jim Miller vs Gil rumor a little while back? Really hope the cross over goes down this time. I guess they could just make it a 5 round main event not for the title? That way if Gil wins he can still come back over the UFC without worrying about defended the SF belt. Healy vs Thompson needs to happen on the same card and win or lose Gil can fight the winner for the SF title.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Melendez to fight May 19, Cesar wants BJ or Pettis   Melendez to fight May 19, Cesar wants BJ or Pettis EmptyTue Mar 13, 2012 9:47 am

Making Gil vs Pettis a non title fight would be gay if Pettis won.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Melendez to fight May 19, Cesar wants BJ or Pettis   Melendez to fight May 19, Cesar wants BJ or Pettis EmptyTue Mar 13, 2012 9:53 am

freakzilla wrote:
Making Gil vs Pettis a non title fight would be gay if Pettis won.
You are gay for suggesting that. The gayer scenario would be if Pettis had to defend that SF title...ever. What happens to Gil if Pettis wins the title and then goes back to the UFC? IF Gil was allowed to cross over to the UFC he would be in the UFC. So what you make a new vacant title? IF Pettis beats Gil he should get the title shot he has missed out on twice now.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Melendez to fight May 19, Cesar wants BJ or Pettis   Melendez to fight May 19, Cesar wants BJ or Pettis EmptyTue Mar 13, 2012 9:58 am

If Pettis beats Gil and then Gil keeps and defends the title then the title would be worthless and would make Strikeforce an even bigger joke.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Melendez to fight May 19, Cesar wants BJ or Pettis   Melendez to fight May 19, Cesar wants BJ or Pettis EmptyTue Mar 13, 2012 10:05 am

freakzilla wrote:
If Pettis beats Gil and then Gil keeps and defends the title then the title would be worthless and would make Strikeforce an even bigger joke.
Whats the alternative? Pettis stays in SF to defend that title? Losing out on his UFC title shot? Then why the hell would Pettis even consider this fight? Long term it would be a stupid move. What do you just dissolve the SF title altogether if Pettis wins? Have Gil finish out his SF contract in 3 round fights? I don't think you are understanding the alternatives here. Pettis having the SF title is the worst possible scenario for SF, UFC, Pettis and Gil...everyone involved.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Melendez to fight May 19, Cesar wants BJ or Pettis   Melendez to fight May 19, Cesar wants BJ or Pettis EmptyTue Mar 13, 2012 10:18 am

Wolfgangsta wrote:
I'd lean Gilbert but it would be like 55/45. I'd have to watch a bunch of their recent fights again.
Do you mean re-read them or watch for the first time?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Melendez to fight May 19, Cesar wants BJ or Pettis   Melendez to fight May 19, Cesar wants BJ or Pettis EmptyTue Mar 13, 2012 10:37 am

OU wrote:
freakzilla wrote:
Whats the alternative? Pettis stays in SF to defend that title? Losing out on his UFC title shot? Then why the hell would Pettis even consider this fight? Long term it would be a stupid move. What do you just dissolve the SF title altogether if Pettis wins? Have Gil finish out his SF contract in 3 round fights? I don't think you are understanding the alternatives here. Pettis having the SF title is the worst possible scenario for SF, UFC, Pettis and Gil...everyone involved.

First of all neg me all you want because I honestly don't give a fuck. Secondly, there might as well not be a Strikeforce title if Pettis wins but Gil keeps defending it.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Melendez to fight May 19, Cesar wants BJ or Pettis   Melendez to fight May 19, Cesar wants BJ or Pettis EmptyTue Mar 13, 2012 10:42 am

freakzilla wrote:
OU wrote:
freakzilla wrote:

First of all neg me all you want because I honestly don't give a fuck. Secondly, there might as well not be a Strikeforce title if Pettis wins but Gil keeps defending it.
First, If you honestly didn't give a fuck you wouldn't bring it up. You aren't understanding what you are suggesting. The only way it can work under your scenario is if Gil wins. Any other outcome would fuck everyone involved. You want Pettis to remain in SF to defend that title and miss out on his UFC title shot for the 3rd time? Or do you think the SF title should just disappear if Pettis wins and Gil is now fighting 3 round fights in SF until his contract is up? What happens to Gil, Pettis and the SF title if Pettis wins in your little scenario? Answer that one for me.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Melendez to fight May 19, Cesar wants BJ or Pettis   Melendez to fight May 19, Cesar wants BJ or Pettis EmptyTue Mar 13, 2012 10:47 am

OU wrote:
freakzilla wrote:
OU wrote:
freakzilla wrote:

First, If you honestly didn't give a fuck you wouldn't bring it up. You aren't understanding what you are suggesting. The only way it can work under your scenario is if Gil wins. Any other outcome would fuck everyone involved. You want Pettis to remain in SF to defend that title and miss out on his UFC title shot for the 3rd time? Or do you think the SF title should just disappear if Pettis wins and Gil is now fighting 3 round fights in SF until his contract is up? What happens to Gil, Pettis and the SF title if Pettis wins in your little scenario? Answer that one for me.

I bring it up because I find it funny that you keep negging me like I'm supposed to care. If Pettis wins he keeps the title and gets a UFC title shot. If he losses that shot then he keeps defending the Strikeforce title. If he wins the UFC title then he vacates the Strikeforce title.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Melendez to fight May 19, Cesar wants BJ or Pettis   Melendez to fight May 19, Cesar wants BJ or Pettis EmptyTue Mar 13, 2012 10:52 am

freakzilla wrote:
OU wrote:
freakzilla wrote:
OU wrote:
freakzilla wrote:

I bring it up because I find it funny that you keep negging me like I'm supposed to care. If Pettis wins he keeps the title and gets a UFC title shot. If he losses that shot then he keeps defending the Strikeforce title. If he wins the UFC title then he vacates the Strikeforce title.
So Gil is just left in SF fighting 3 rounders until his contract is up. The SF title is held hostage by Pettis until the results of his next fight? Then if he wins the UFC title he goes ahead and kills the SF title? You already called the SF title a joke, so I guess you don't really care what happens to that thing.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Melendez to fight May 19, Cesar wants BJ or Pettis   Melendez to fight May 19, Cesar wants BJ or Pettis EmptyTue Mar 13, 2012 11:51 am

If Gil loses and then still defends it that would be the worst case scenario. I'm sure if Gil lost the title then Showtime wouldn't be trying so hard to keep him.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Melendez to fight May 19, Cesar wants BJ or Pettis   Melendez to fight May 19, Cesar wants BJ or Pettis Empty

Back to top Go down

Melendez to fight May 19, Cesar wants BJ or Pettis
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next