Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

UFC RIO thoughts/rate it

Go down 
+8
killerofchicken
bobbitt15
oggy420
Farmer1906
GDPofDRC
Wolfgangsta
throwdownfight1
KingsOwn19
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Well...
10- Best evah
UFC RIO thoughts/rate it Vote_lcap27%UFC RIO thoughts/rate it Vote_rcap
 27% [ 4 ]
9- Fun, memorable, worthy of DVD purchase
UFC RIO thoughts/rate it Vote_lcap20%UFC RIO thoughts/rate it Vote_rcap
 20% [ 3 ]
8 - Above average with a few rewatchable fights
UFC RIO thoughts/rate it Vote_lcap33%UFC RIO thoughts/rate it Vote_rcap
 33% [ 5 ]
7 - Satisfactory
UFC RIO thoughts/rate it Vote_lcap7%UFC RIO thoughts/rate it Vote_rcap
 7% [ 1 ]
6 - It was OK
UFC RIO thoughts/rate it Vote_lcap7%UFC RIO thoughts/rate it Vote_rcap
 7% [ 1 ]
5 - I don't know man
UFC RIO thoughts/rate it Vote_lcap6%UFC RIO thoughts/rate it Vote_rcap
 6% [ 1 ]
4 - Not PPV worthy
UFC RIO thoughts/rate it Vote_lcap0%UFC RIO thoughts/rate it Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
3 - Not a single good fight
 0% [ 0 ]
2 - UFC 97 levels of sucktitude
 0% [ 0 ]
1 - Fuck this org
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 15

AuthorMessage
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

UFC RIO thoughts/rate it Empty
PostSubject: UFC RIO thoughts/rate it   UFC RIO thoughts/rate it EmptySat Aug 27, 2011 11:48 pm

Great show. I'll give it a solid 9. No disappointments. No shenanigans. The good guys won.

My Fight of the Night: Rousimar Palhares vs. Dan Miller
My Knockout of the Night: both Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira and Mauricio Rua
Submission of the night: No submissions

Another great performance from Anderson. Yeah, most figured he would beat Okami but going in i thought Okami would have been able to impose a little more on Spider than he did. He did a good job nuetralizing the clinch but it was apparent it was taking more out of Okami than it was Spider. Silva shrugged off his takedown attempt like nothing and thats when i knew Okami has about as much chance in this fight as Demian Maia or Thales Leites had against Spider. ZERO. .you're pretty much done. Sonnen had the luxury/skill of having great takedowns to set up strikes to set up takedowns and so on and so on. Sonnen is durable enough to go in head first on Anderson Silva. Okami not so much. Okami found out he had to engage with Silva to get him in a position to grind him and thats when Anderson took over.

Shogun-Forrest. I was a bit concerned to see the bread basket on Shogun but it turned out OK. Glad to see Shogun make a statement out there with Griffin. Went out there incredibly agressive and on target. Got Griffin down and as you can always expect when Shogun is standing over a knocked down opponent..the body stiffening up is soon to follow. Shogun showed their first fight was an aberration as if you watch, Shogun was incredibly rusty and struggling with an injury that eventually put him out for an extended period in that fight.

I understand people hate excuses...they want to believe every fighter is 100% the same figher every single time they step in the cage. I also think that is somewhat fair. If a fighter decides to step in the cage, pretty much you hate to see them to cite injuries or rust when they decided to go anyway. However, That was not the case the first time these two fought. Shogun was not Shogun in that fight..and who knows...maybe Griffin isnt the same fighter now that he was back then, but we definetly know that Shogun is not even close to what can be considered top form when he fought Griffin. Glad to see it set straight tonight. SHogun beats Griffin 9 out of 10 times...and that one time already happened what is becoming a long time ago.

Barboza-Pearson: This seemed like one of those fights where nobody really landed. They were both throwing a lot but it's hard to find a clear cut winner here. It's like one of those sword fights you see in the movie when all the do is swing em yet nobody lands shit. Not saying this was like a reckless no technique Leonard Garcia fight..both guys are really good strikers, but it seemed nobody really had the upper hand. I thought Pearson probably could have won at first but was not miffed by the decision. It was whatever. Weakest fight on the main card when i originally thought it could steal the show. It had the activity, but it just seemed like one giant stalemate to me.

BIG NOG!!! Glad to see him tally up a W. Would have hated to see him lose to Schuab. When i saw how slow he was moving on his feet i was worried but near the end Nog displayed the best head movement we have seen from him in awhile. We have seen recent fights with him where he just could not get out of the way of punches and Nog was always a better boxer than that. He was able to dodge some punches and then started showing his superior boxing skill to the pure headhunter in Schuab. I might still lack the confidence in present day Nog against the higher level HW...which Schuab is not and never will be...but it was definetly a good Big Nog moment tonight.

Luiz Arthur Cane...the black sheep. The only brazilian to leave the arena with an L. That is tough. He was looking solid and crisp with the strikes but SENGOKU import Stanislav Nedkov stayed patient and landed the big one. Nedkov is a small LHW but probably not built for MW. That may hamper him down the road, but excellent debut and a nice win over a good fighter.

Great performance by Palhares. Wild fight to. FOTN. This guy is an absolute beast. He would have likely finished this fight in round 1 if he didnt brain fart..he would have likely got the shot at Anderson Silva if he didnt brain fart against Marquardt. He looked good every where in this fight. His transistions were top notch as usual and his GnP was brutal which we arent used to. Now Dan Miller is like the Brooklyn Brawler of UFC middleweights but he is a formidable fighter and Palhares definetly looked better than Marquardt did against him...way better. However, what the fuck was up with the 30-25 score?

Tavares destroyed Fisher. Not much to talk about, but Fisher really can't get it done in the UFC anymore i don't think.

You'll see Ed Soares randomly appear next to Erick Silva after his next fight which willl likely be another impressive KO. Very nice.

Paulo Thiago outclassed Mitchell everywhere. Kind of disappointed he could not finish with a submission, but Mitchell had nothing for him.

Didnt see the other fights.

Final thoughts. Great show. Great atmosphere. Great fights. Great performances...i also like how this event was UFC RIO more so than it was UFC 134. The numbers have got to go unless it's like a milestone like 200, 300, etc. I thought Strikeforce was on to something by simply naming their events after the main event or the city they were in. Dana said long before 100 that he wanted to get rid of the numbers but it was not easy...and i believe him.

once again...a 9

Back to top Go down
throwdownfight1
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Matt Hughes,Tito Ortiz,Frank Mir

PostSubject: Re: UFC RIO thoughts/rate it   UFC RIO thoughts/rate it EmptySat Aug 27, 2011 11:59 pm

good post king but once again ur uneducated about the whole first sho/forrest fight. Anyways besides that fight the whole event was great. Nog exposed schuab as a hype. Anderson showed to be the goat. Not to cool with the ross fight since he was the only one coming foward but not a robbery by any means.miller too showed heart for sure. Good event. Great fights. I give it a 7 for sure maybe an 8.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

PostSubject: Re: UFC RIO thoughts/rate it   UFC RIO thoughts/rate it EmptySun Aug 28, 2011 12:04 am

Quote :
Shogun was not Shogun in that fight..and who knows...maybe Griffin isnt the same fighter now that he was back then, but we definetly know that was not Shogun is even close to what can be considered top form when he fought Griffin. Glad to see it set straight tonight.

Unfortunately, Shogun was Shogun that night. Bad Shogun is real. It's his alter ego.

Shogun loses when he under achieves. Forrest wins when he over achieves. Those career paths intersected at a fateful moment.
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: UFC RIO thoughts/rate it   UFC RIO thoughts/rate it EmptySun Aug 28, 2011 12:06 am

I voted 10. One of the best head to toe UFC's ive ever watched. Historic.
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

PostSubject: Re: UFC RIO thoughts/rate it   UFC RIO thoughts/rate it EmptySun Aug 28, 2011 12:10 am

I was very close to giving it a 10.

but i'm still waiting for...the one.
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

PostSubject: Re: UFC RIO thoughts/rate it   UFC RIO thoughts/rate it EmptySun Aug 28, 2011 12:14 am

10 Legendary Status Card. Best EVA discussion.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/v/skCV2L0c6K0
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

PostSubject: Re: UFC RIO thoughts/rate it   UFC RIO thoughts/rate it EmptySun Aug 28, 2011 12:20 am

Pearson-Barboza won FOTN. Wow..i just don't see it. I could not get into it and i was totally looking forward to the fight.

Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

Favorite Fighter(s) : Griffin, Franklin, Hendo, Sonnen, Wand, Lawler, Belfort, Pettis, Aldo, Mousasi

PostSubject: Re: UFC RIO thoughts/rate it   UFC RIO thoughts/rate it EmptySun Aug 28, 2011 1:07 am

Wolfgangsta wrote:
Quote :
Shogun was not Shogun in that fight..and who knows...maybe Griffin isnt the same fighter now that he was back then, but we definetly know that was not Shogun is even close to what can be considered top form when he fought Griffin. Glad to see it set straight tonight.

Unfortunately, Shogun was Shogun that night. Bad Shogun is real. It's his alter ego.

Shogun loses when he under achieves. Forrest wins when he over achieves. Those career paths intersected at a fateful moment.

I think Forrest looked worse than Shogun looked good. Not trying to take anything from Shogun, but I left unimpressed.
Back to top Go down
oggy420
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt

PostSubject: Re: UFC RIO thoughts/rate it   UFC RIO thoughts/rate it EmptySun Aug 28, 2011 1:13 am

ill give it a 9.5.

lot's of great knockout finishes and really tough performances. Dan miller showed a lot of heart to an improved Palhares.

I love the Big Nog win. He deserved a moment like that. Good for you Big Nog!

I wish Foreest would have had a better showing but i knew a healthy motivated Shogun would be a different result.

And Anerson is amazing. What else is new.

Dan Henderson vs Chael Sonnen anyone?

Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: UFC RIO thoughts/rate it   UFC RIO thoughts/rate it EmptySun Aug 28, 2011 1:17 am

Dan ain't cutting weight for anybody but Anderson
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: UFC RIO thoughts/rate it   UFC RIO thoughts/rate it EmptySun Aug 28, 2011 1:23 am

Or Chael if he wins...
Back to top Go down
killerofchicken
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
killerofchicken

Favorite Fighter(s) : Mauricio Shogun Rua, BJ Penn, AXE MURDERER,Fedor, CroCop, Vitor Belfort, JDS

PostSubject: Re: UFC RIO thoughts/rate it   UFC RIO thoughts/rate it EmptySun Aug 28, 2011 1:46 am

I'm giving it a ten!

Shogun got the revange win he was looking for

I'll gladly eat crow for Nog knocking the fuck out of Schaub, I said it wouldn't happened but damn am i happy it did!

The only thing that had me confused is why Okami never shot for a takedown, Silva looked as good as ever, faster by leaps than Okami. Great fucking card!
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

PostSubject: Re: UFC RIO thoughts/rate it   UFC RIO thoughts/rate it EmptySun Aug 28, 2011 1:51 am

Okami did try for takedown out of the clinch against the cage. Anderson easily shook it off.

Yushin was overmatched. Completely.
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: UFC RIO thoughts/rate it   UFC RIO thoughts/rate it EmptySun Aug 28, 2011 2:43 am

A) Not watching fights as they happen live blows. Tracked down the Silva-Okami fight first and Goldie conveniently drops in that Shogun and Nog already won by KO tonight. Thanks you useless turd

In order:

Yves Jabouin looked solid in his first fight at BW. Defensive grappling looked better than it has in the past and did some decent work striking. Makes for exciting fights if nothing else and could hang with some top guys who aren't elite on the ground

Erik Silva should be a nice prospect to watch. Good early finish. Think he would've beaten Swick as well

Paulo Thiago isn't very good. Total squash match against a scrub opponent but his defensive grappling still sucks and he's just a wild swinger with decent pop. Keeps from getting cut for now but there are so many guys at WW I'm picking over him with no hesitation at this point

Thiago Tavares has some talent, just not sure about the mental makeup. Spencer is just about done. Nice UFC career

I'm pretty much tired of Paul Harris. Every fight its something new with this little shit. Torques a dude's knee after he taps, quits fighting and gets knocked out, and then randomly celebrates like he's won a fight where the ref made no motion of stopping it. I was so pumped when Miller landed that punch, was hoping he would finish. Not to mention a cheap shot at the end of round and constant fence grabbing in the 2nd by Palhares. He's a dick

Still haven't seen Barboza-Pearson which is the only fight I can't find anywhere

Wow, how far has Cane fallen over the last couple years. A striker who can't deal with punches being thrown at him. His time in the UFC is about at a close

Nice combination by Nog and awesome moment in his first fight in Brazil. He still looked old and shot though. Schaub can't take a punch and is nowhere near a top level HW. He needs to take a couple steps back after this. I wouldn't mind a fight with Einemo if they got all that shit worked out and he comes back to the UFC

Shogun with a nice brutal early stoppage of Forrest. The questions remain about what kind of shape he was in due to the early finish, but still a nice win. Another top fight coming up, interested to see who he gets given the current landscape of 205. I say bring over Hendo and make it happen

Okami had nothing for Anderson. I said the day it was announced this would be a savage and very early finish for Silva. Okami is not and will never be Chael Sonnen. He's strong and good in the clinch but he doesn't have an elite takedown game and doesn't have the in your face mentality. Awful matchup for him and he was certainly getting laid to waste

It wasn't the same listening to fights without Joe either. Not even close

Back to top Go down
throwdownfight1
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Matt Hughes,Tito Ortiz,Frank Mir

PostSubject: Re: UFC RIO thoughts/rate it   UFC RIO thoughts/rate it EmptySun Aug 28, 2011 2:51 am

wow, i must say bobbit has the greatest idea ever.....shogun vs hendo....better yet shogun vs hendo on fox. Dont think it will happen seeing how greedy hendo is but that would be an awesome match
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

PostSubject: Re: UFC RIO thoughts/rate it   UFC RIO thoughts/rate it EmptySun Aug 28, 2011 2:54 am

I concur...Shogun vs. Hendo is definetly one of the last PRIDE fights that should have happened but didnt. Make it happen.
Back to top Go down
Andrew the Raider King
Red Belt
Red Belt
Andrew the Raider King

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael, Sexyama, Condit, Hendricks, Cowboy, Struve

PostSubject: Re: UFC RIO thoughts/rate it   UFC RIO thoughts/rate it EmptySun Aug 28, 2011 7:50 am

It was ok. I mean if one is a Pride fan boy it was an awesome night and worthy of a 10, if you want to see good fights? It sucked quite a bit.

Okami forgot to take the fight to Spider, didn't work hard in the clinch and therefore was overmatched, how is that fun?

Forrest looked horrible and Shogun looked a little flabby, not quite a lot of fun.

Schaub did get exposed, which is sad in some ways, but it was the feel good story of the night, because a lot of people, including myself, had written Nog off. I still think this was his Chuck moment in the Wandy vs Liddell fight and will decline from here.

Pearson vs Barboza was no fun to watch. Watch the stout Limey chase jungle boy for 15 minutes. All in all, not too much fun, but all the prelims on FB and Spike helped ease the thing.

Silva is the GOAT!
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: UFC RIO thoughts/rate it   UFC RIO thoughts/rate it EmptySun Aug 28, 2011 8:52 am

thumbs down
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, JOSH KOSCHECK, SPIDER

PostSubject: Re: UFC RIO thoughts/rate it   UFC RIO thoughts/rate it EmptySun Aug 28, 2011 9:04 am

I went with a 8. The card was awesome and I was very happy to see Spider with a nice KO over an overmatched Okami.
Back to top Go down
killerofchicken
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
killerofchicken

Favorite Fighter(s) : Mauricio Shogun Rua, BJ Penn, AXE MURDERER,Fedor, CroCop, Vitor Belfort, JDS

PostSubject: Re: UFC RIO thoughts/rate it   UFC RIO thoughts/rate it EmptySun Aug 28, 2011 9:27 am

I might have gave it a 10 because Shogun demolished gump... i stand by it!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: UFC RIO thoughts/rate it   UFC RIO thoughts/rate it EmptySun Aug 28, 2011 9:40 am

10 for me, the card was thoroughly entertaining.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: UFC RIO thoughts/rate it   UFC RIO thoughts/rate it EmptySun Aug 28, 2011 9:40 am

throwdownfight1 wrote:
wow, i must say bobbit has the greatest idea ever.....shogun vs hendo....better yet shogun vs hendo on fox. Dont think it will happen seeing how greedy hendo is but that would be an awesome match

I've been suggesting that fight all week.
Back to top Go down
cheekynffc
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : froch, hatton, benn, duran, hagler, ponce de leon

PostSubject: Re: UFC RIO thoughts/rate it   UFC RIO thoughts/rate it EmptySun Aug 28, 2011 11:14 am

slightly disappointed with the live broadcast, pearson/barboza was the only really good fight.

to be honest, i don't want to see main events where one guy can be dropped with a jab and shogun will never have an easier nights work than that.

too many guys knocked out far too easily for my liking.
Back to top Go down
killerofchicken
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
killerofchicken

PostSubject: Re: UFC RIO thoughts/rate it   UFC RIO thoughts/rate it EmptySun Aug 28, 2011 12:02 pm

when were knockouts a bad thing?
Back to top Go down
cheekynffc
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : froch, hatton, benn, duran, hagler, ponce de leon

PostSubject: Re: UFC RIO thoughts/rate it   UFC RIO thoughts/rate it EmptySun Aug 28, 2011 12:15 pm

killerofchicken wrote:
when were knockouts a bad thing?

when they come too easily. i want to see a good contest, not a lamb sent to the slaughter.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: UFC RIO thoughts/rate it   UFC RIO thoughts/rate it Empty

Back to top Go down

UFC RIO thoughts/rate it
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next