Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

UFC 137 Thoughts/Rate it

Go down 
+8
MMAEYES
bobbitt15
GDPofDRC
timthebim
Andrew the Raider King
Ludo
Ninja
KingsOwn19
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Well...
10- Best Evah
UFC 137 Thoughts/Rate it Vote_lcap0%UFC 137 Thoughts/Rate it Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
9- WOW, Highly memorable all around
UFC 137 Thoughts/Rate it Vote_lcap7%UFC 137 Thoughts/Rate it Vote_rcap
 7% [ 1 ]
8- Above average, a lot of rewatchable content
UFC 137 Thoughts/Rate it Vote_lcap21%UFC 137 Thoughts/Rate it Vote_rcap
 21% [ 3 ]
7- Average
UFC 137 Thoughts/Rate it Vote_lcap21%UFC 137 Thoughts/Rate it Vote_rcap
 21% [ 3 ]
6- OK, but a tad underwhelming
UFC 137 Thoughts/Rate it Vote_lcap36%UFC 137 Thoughts/Rate it Vote_rcap
 36% [ 5 ]
5- UFC 135
UFC 137 Thoughts/Rate it Vote_lcap14%UFC 137 Thoughts/Rate it Vote_rcap
 14% [ 2 ]
4- 50 DOLLERS?
 0% [ 0 ]
3- UFC 97
 0% [ 0 ]
2- Way to match em Silva, NO GOOD FIGHTS
 0% [ 0 ]
1- Fuck this org
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 14

AuthorMessage
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

UFC 137 Thoughts/Rate it Empty
PostSubject: UFC 137 Thoughts/Rate it   UFC 137 Thoughts/Rate it EmptySun Oct 30, 2011 1:39 am

Ordered this one. The card started off very slow. This card was heading to UFC 135 land real quick but the HW of all divisions did what the lighter divisions failed to do to start the card and that was entertain and Penn-Diaz did it's job as a main event. I give the card a 7. Very emotional night as a huge fan of both BJ Penn and Mirko CroCop.

Fight of the Night: BJ Penn vs. Nick Diaz
Knockout of the Night:Bart Palaszewski
Submission of the Night: Donald Cerrone

Penn-Diaz: This was a wildly entertaining fight and It was an affirming fight for Nick Diaz. Nobody has done that to BJ Penn. Nobody has left Penn's face like that. Everybody pointed at Diaz competition in Strikeforce and said that is why he is not legit. However, what was so impressive about Nick Diaz in Strikeforce was that he was beating everybody at their game. Diaz could have easily rested on his BJJ and tapped out everybody in round 1 in Strikeforce but brought his guns everytime, and even outgunned a guy who had bever been outgunned in Paul Daley. Nobody had done what Diaz did to Paul Daley and nobody has busted up BJ like Nick did tonight. You know what Nick did in Strikeforce was legit when he fights somebody like Penn and does pretty much the same exact thing..Diaz lost rounds in Strikeforce as well but eventually he overwhelmed Daley, Cyborg, Zaromskis, Noons, and now Penn.

Penn was amazing in the first round. Great head movement, very crisp, won the BJJ exchange although not by a significant amount. You would figure Penn did not blow much energy fighting a stand up fight but for some reason, he came out in round 2 flat and you can't become a standing target with Nick. I'm not sure what to attribute it to. You never seen Penn blow out in a fight that was mainly stand up but then again, Penn has never fought a stand up fight at the pace Nick Diaz brings...so it's not as easy to say Penn came in out of shape. Diaz wore him down like he has worn down his past several opponents. Penn deserves credit for making it a fight again in the 3rd round, we have seen Penn show no heart after he gasses so many times but that didnt happen tonight..he fought to the very end and Nick never got him down. Also, if people want to bust a nut everytime Brock Lesnar, Chael Sonnen or Josh Barnett cuts a promo after a fight...you gotta give it up for Diaz as well. That is how you properly call somebody out.

Now on to the biggest moment of the night was Penn announcing his retirement. I'm surprised that there was not much discussion of this..or reflection on one of the best pure talents to ever be in MMA. I hope BJ was just bummed and did not really mean what he said because Penn can still very much fight at a high level but perhaps his committment to training, while always low, is just not there anymore. It would be refreshing to see a guy walk away when he still has a lot left in the tank. If this is it, i want to thank BJ Penn for some of my greatest memories as a fan.

Smile Matt Mitrione vs. Chieck Kongo...what did i tell ya what did i tell ya what did i tell ya? Kongo could have done much more in the fight. He gave Mitrione much more respect than Mitrione has earned. Kongo could have done what he did in round 3 at any point in the fight but even while Kongo was fighting stiff and overly cautious...he was still winning the stand up and rather clearly. I could have maybe seen round 2 going the way of Mitrione as he landing a couple clean shots and not much went on in the round but i was on the money about Mitrione. He is not on the level of somebody like Kongo. Does that mean i think Kongo is this amazing elite fighter..no, but Mitrione did next to nothing in this fight despite Joe Rogan and fuckin Goldberg doing their best to make it seem like "Meathead" was doing anything in this fight. Kongo gave a lackluster performance and still clearly won. Back to recycle yard to crush cans for Mitrione.

CroCop-Nelson- This was a very good fight. Excellent pace and for the most part, i thought CroCop looked good but the whole time he looked like he was about to get knocked out any second. Nelson looked in much improved shape and his grappling chops wore down Mirko in round 2 and the overhand right started finding a home. A win over CroCop does not hold as much weight as it did in the past but this is likely the biggest win of Roy Nelson's career. CroCop was very game in this fight while he was un-game vs. Schuab. Very nice win for Nelson. Definitely not in line for a title shot though. I actually think Nelson vs. Kongo is the logical next fight.

Also, although not as shocking as Penn and much more due than Penn. CroCop said that is it and once again, as a huge fan, i would like to thank CroCop for providing probably the most highlights and memorable moments out of any fighter in MMA history. You'll always be the decapitation machine to me. You could have lost 10 in a row and that would not change.

Jorgensen-Curran- Didnt think it was a great fight. It was a pretty typical Curran loss. Spends too much time on his back working and not completing. I am a huge defender of the guard being scored better but in my opinion, Curran was working and failing for sweeps and not threatening with subs enough to earn favor with even educated judges. Boring fight for me, as is the trend with Jeff Curran.

Hioki-Roop: Decent fight. I thought Hioki won 29-28. Roop is a solid win and Roop did much better in the standup while Hioki did next to nothing there, but Hioki pretty much held mount for a full round and i thought he won what looked like to kids fighting over a toy in the first round. Once it's a mount its up to the guy on the bottom to do something, however Hioki fought like he didnt understand that he can throw elbows. His pointy elbows would have cut Roop up. He seemed to just want to hold the position and wait for Roop to do something stupid.

I don't think Hioki, even with his prior resume, showed fans who never saw him fight before that he should be next in line for a shot which i'm sure they were hoping to give him in Japan..but Hioki style is compatible for the cage and US style and the change looked to effect him, but most Japan guys come out of that first acclimation fight with a loss and hole to dig out of. He came out with a win, an unimpressive win, but a win all the same.

<------was wrong about the WEC LW's

Cowboy vs. German
Flawless performance by Cerrone. Siver is a beast in the standup, especially early in a fight and Cerrone made him look like some guy off the street. Man, he might move to 145 and that would be cool..but if he sticks around, LW is getting very sexy.

Tyson Griffin vs. parrot
Griffin might be done. Overweight and had an embarrasing fight typically means pink slip. i don't know what happened with Griffin but this guy used to be legit. He used to be able to give anybody a real fight and beat some excellent fighters...but for the past year and half or so...he has just been shabby. He looked incredibly out of shape for this fight, even for a guy who missed weight by 3 pounds. Griffin 2 years ago kills this guy...actually, Griffin 2 years ago would not have needed to move from 155 because he would be doing just fine. At some point in time, thi guy slipped or just simply stopped improving. Not much to say about Bart..nice win but he's been around long enough, we know he's a middle of the pack guy to stay while i think most of us thought Griffin could and would make some noise at FW.

Brandon Vera vs. Eliot Marhsall. Might have to watch it again. I though Marshall won the fight...though im not 100% confident calling it a robbery. I am 100% confident in saying Brandon Vera looked like complete ass and that the second chance has not marked an improvement. Vera is a guy with all the tools but no key to the toolbox. I picked him to win, but i was expecting a big performance and i thought he lost. Thiago Silva would destroy him again in a rematch. Vera is who he is.

Missed the other fights

a strong 7. Good card

Back to top Go down
Ninja
Administrator
Administrator
Ninja

Favorite Fighter(s) : Anyone with the last name Rua or Emelianenko and Uncle Creepy

PostSubject: Re: UFC 137 Thoughts/Rate it   UFC 137 Thoughts/Rate it EmptySun Oct 30, 2011 1:42 am

Cowboy said at the presser he is staying at 155, but still wants to fight Phan..

Also Marshall got robbed...
Back to top Go down
https://ninjasplace.forumotion.net
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

PostSubject: Re: UFC 137 Thoughts/Rate it   UFC 137 Thoughts/Rate it EmptySun Oct 30, 2011 2:53 am

Ninja wrote:
Cowboy said at the presser he is staying at 155, but still wants to fight Phan..

Also Marshall got robbed...

LOL..Cowboy is really shooting for the stars wanting a fight with Nam Phan..he would need atleast 2 wins at FW to earn a fight of such magnitude.
Back to top Go down
Ludo
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
Ludo

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Prodigy, The Great, Viking Dahmer, The Phenom

PostSubject: Re: UFC 137 Thoughts/Rate it   UFC 137 Thoughts/Rate it EmptySun Oct 30, 2011 4:27 am

I can't say I blame him for wanting to go after Phan. If someone insults one of your fellow camp fighters/friends then leave them to their business. If someone insults one or all of your coaches then something needs to be done about it. Cerrone has a legitimate reason to want to target Nam for a comment that disrespects Garcias coaches, which are also Cerrones coaches.
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

PostSubject: Re: UFC 137 Thoughts/Rate it   UFC 137 Thoughts/Rate it EmptySun Oct 30, 2011 4:51 am

You may be right. I just thought Phan turned down the idea of fighting Garcia for a third fight, considering the only reason they had a second fight was because Phan was robbed in a decision the first time...but if he went and disrespected Garcia's coaches then i could understand Cerrone wanted to crack him in the head to teach him a lesson, but Phan is nowhere near worth the time of Donald Cerrone.
Back to top Go down
Andrew the Raider King
Red Belt
Red Belt
Andrew the Raider King

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael, Sexyama, Condit, Hendricks, Cowboy, Struve

PostSubject: Re: UFC 137 Thoughts/Rate it   UFC 137 Thoughts/Rate it EmptySun Oct 30, 2011 7:24 am

I am gonna say 5. I loved the final bout, I loved the Cerrone fight, I was OK with the NElson/Cro-cop fight. But the Hioki and Kongo fights sucked out loud.

Ludo, that is an awesome Sig!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: UFC 137 Thoughts/Rate it   UFC 137 Thoughts/Rate it EmptySun Oct 30, 2011 2:57 pm

6.5, disappointing card that was salvaged by the main event and Nelson vs. Cro Cop.
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, JOSH KOSCHECK, SPIDER

PostSubject: Re: UFC 137 Thoughts/Rate it   UFC 137 Thoughts/Rate it EmptySun Oct 30, 2011 7:20 pm

I liked the card as a whole. The Kongo and Meathead fight i thought was OK. I thought cro Cop vs Big Country was sweet and of course Penn vs Diaz was very good. Overall I think it was a 7.
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

PostSubject: Re: UFC 137 Thoughts/Rate it   UFC 137 Thoughts/Rate it EmptyMon Oct 31, 2011 12:32 pm

I saw the Spike fights. Cerrone looked golden as expected. Greg Jackson should be slapped for the way he say Cerrone. Griffin ..... wow, I forgot about old bart pralewaski, he could have some entertaining fights at FW. I thought Vera lost, 10-9-10 for Marshal.

I saw the Mittrione vs Kongo fight.... not great. Matt was gun shy it seemed. He is young and this is the first fight he didn't look better in, he'll be back though. Nick Diaz won how I thought he could, capitalizing on reach and size to implement his boxing. Props for his fighting, he did it well. If only he had character that could even halfway match his MMA game.

No score, but maybe around a 7 so far.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/v/skCV2L0c6K0
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: UFC 137 Thoughts/Rate it   UFC 137 Thoughts/Rate it EmptyMon Oct 31, 2011 12:47 pm

The way Jackson said that was hilarious and then was promptly ruined by Goldberg who felt the need to repeat it as if we couldn't hear it
Back to top Go down
MMAEYES
Black Belt
Black Belt
MMAEYES

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, FEDOR, NICK DIAZ

PostSubject: Re: UFC 137 Thoughts/Rate it   UFC 137 Thoughts/Rate it EmptyMon Oct 31, 2011 1:39 pm

I gave it an 8, I'll be rewatching a couple of the fights
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

PostSubject: Re: UFC 137 Thoughts/Rate it   UFC 137 Thoughts/Rate it EmptyMon Oct 31, 2011 7:13 pm

mixed reviews

somebody even gave it the dreaded UFC 135 score.
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

PostSubject: Re: UFC 137 Thoughts/Rate it   UFC 137 Thoughts/Rate it EmptyMon Oct 31, 2011 7:14 pm

I thought it would at least get one 10
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/v/skCV2L0c6K0
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: UFC 137 Thoughts/Rate it   UFC 137 Thoughts/Rate it EmptyTue Nov 01, 2011 12:29 am

Have only seen:

Diaz vs Penn: Sweet fight. Not the totally epic battle that I hoped. Maybe my expectations were just too high. But it was still great. Those that hated on Nick with "who has he beaten?" are straight blind. Cause this was Nick doing what nick does. As if KO'ing an old Hughes was ultra impressive. Props to Penn for taking a beating in that 2nd rnd, and then actually making the 3rd competitive.

GSP prob still outwrestles him, but NO WAY does GSP stand with Nick.

And I love Nick's theatrics. Cause they are real. Dude is nuts. Not Chael Sonnen "just say it to get attention" bs. Nick actually believes this craziness.

Meat vs Kongo was a bore. Not sure why Meat was so tentative. But I do not see this as Meat being exposed. Maybe he got in the game a little late, but he is not a chump. Kongo with 2 complete bore's sandwiched around a classic KO. Strikers do not age as well as wrestlers. I wonder if he is near the end.

Cro Cop vs Nelson. A couple lhw's doing battle above the limit. I dunno, I wasn't enthralled. The Nelson crucifix is not entertaining, but it was effective, and Cro Cop was done b4 the 3rd started.

Seriously, Cro Cop vs Kimbo, right now, would be a sweet fight.
Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Cung Le, BJ Penn, Mayhem, Chael Sonnen, Anthony Pettis

PostSubject: Re: UFC 137 Thoughts/Rate it   UFC 137 Thoughts/Rate it EmptyTue Nov 01, 2011 12:39 am

Anyone who thinks GSP won't stand with Nick is a crackhead. Stop smoking that shit Captain right this second please! Oh, and what do you mean GSP "prob still outwrestles him"??? Of course GSP will outwrestle Nick Diaz. This isn't a BJ Penn who didn't train and gassed after one round. GSP is wil twice what BJ was in every round of a fight with Nick Diaz. Nick has zero shot against GSP.....ZERO!!!
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: UFC 137 Thoughts/Rate it   UFC 137 Thoughts/Rate it EmptyTue Nov 01, 2011 12:46 am

bigbeastcardinal12 wrote:
Anyone who thinks GSP won't stand with Nick is a crackhead. Stop smoking that shit Captain right this second please! Oh, and what do you mean GSP "prob still outwrestles him"??? Of course GSP will outwrestle Nick Diaz. This isn't a BJ Penn who didn't train and gassed after one round. GSP is wil twice what BJ was in every round of a fight with Nick Diaz. Nick has zero shot against GSP.....ZERO!!!

Oh now Penn didn't train? This was standard BJ Penn. Prob trained harder for this fight then he did for the 2nd fight with georgie.

And no St. Pierre will not stand with Diaz. That is not the way St Pierre operates. And if he did. If he comitted to a standup affair with Diaz. He gets KO'd.
Back to top Go down
cheekynffc
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : froch, hatton, benn, duran, hagler, ponce de leon

PostSubject: Re: UFC 137 Thoughts/Rate it   UFC 137 Thoughts/Rate it EmptyTue Nov 01, 2011 7:53 am

i gave it a 5......... 6 overall but if i'd paid $50 for it i'd have been annoyed at wasting my money and given it a 4, so i went with the average.

the nelson/cro cop & diaz/penn fights were alright without being great and cerrone put on another impressive performance. the rest of the televised card was pretty boring though in fairness.
Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

PostSubject: Re: UFC 137 Thoughts/Rate it   UFC 137 Thoughts/Rate it EmptyTue Nov 01, 2011 10:00 am

captain organic wrote:
bigbeastcardinal12 wrote:

Oh now Penn didn't train? This was standard BJ Penn. Prob trained harder for this fight then he did for the 2nd fight with georgie.

And no St. Pierre will not stand with Diaz. That is not the way St Pierre operates. And if he did. If he comitted to a standup affair with Diaz. He gets KO'd.

Whatchu mean "now"

He didn't train hard enough because he was gassed after 1 round, after fighting Frankie for 10 rounds. He was in way better shape in those fights and you know it. How can you say he was in better shape, seriously? You Nick Diaz fans have a rude awakening coming your way when he starts fighting wrestlers. I'm not drinking the kool aid until he fights a top guy. I think Nick deserves a shot at the title but he is the 5th best WW out there right now.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: UFC 137 Thoughts/Rate it   UFC 137 Thoughts/Rate it EmptyTue Nov 01, 2011 10:01 am

UFC 137 Thoughts/Rate it Penn_face_large_large
Ass Whoopin
Back to top Go down
MMAEYES
Black Belt
Black Belt
MMAEYES

PostSubject: Re: UFC 137 Thoughts/Rate it   UFC 137 Thoughts/Rate it EmptyTue Nov 01, 2011 10:25 am

OU wrote:
UFC 137 Thoughts/Rate it Penn_face_large_large
Ass Whoopin

OK was that really needed OU? lol
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: UFC 137 Thoughts/Rate it   UFC 137 Thoughts/Rate it EmptyTue Nov 01, 2011 10:26 am

BBC seemed like he needed a reminder. Show some respect.
Back to top Go down
MMAEYES
Black Belt
Black Belt
MMAEYES

PostSubject: Re: UFC 137 Thoughts/Rate it   UFC 137 Thoughts/Rate it EmptyTue Nov 01, 2011 10:29 am

Atleast put this pic up and say asswhoopin

UFC 137 Thoughts/Rate it 311425_302797519731470_100000036720026_1326129_354289042_n
Back to top Go down
MMAEYES
Black Belt
Black Belt
MMAEYES

PostSubject: Re: UFC 137 Thoughts/Rate it   UFC 137 Thoughts/Rate it EmptyTue Nov 01, 2011 10:32 am

That pic atleast shows how much of a fucking man BJ is, him and Nick are still cool, Both Nick and BJ are the shit
Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

PostSubject: Re: UFC 137 Thoughts/Rate it   UFC 137 Thoughts/Rate it EmptyTue Nov 01, 2011 10:33 am

OU wrote:
BBC seemed like he needed a reminder. Show some respect.

I'm no big GSP fan but I like the guy. I think it will be funny when GSP makes Nick's whole face look like that. It will even be better when Mayhem calls him out and he finally gets that fight.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: UFC 137 Thoughts/Rate it   UFC 137 Thoughts/Rate it EmptyTue Nov 01, 2011 10:35 am

[youtube]