Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

UFC 122 thoughts and rate it

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

UFC 122 thoughts and rate it Empty
PostSubject: UFC 122 thoughts and rate it   UFC 122 thoughts and rate it EmptySun Nov 21, 2010 2:50 am

BJ Penn knocks out Matt fuckin Hughes in 21 seconds in devastating fashion. That's an automatic 8 for me. Penn needs to lose a fight every now and then. It keeps him in shape. It's been that way through his entire career. Penn looked in shape and determined, and that showed in his step and punches. Penn is still every bit the fighter that humiliated Sherk, Florian, Sanchez and Stevenson. Go ahead and add Matt Hughes to that list if those names do nothing for you. I hate to be the one to say i called it, but i called it. I know i'm certainly one of many who picked BJ Penn and thats not what i'm boasting about, but in as thread last week i picked BJ Penn via STATEMENT. Well, the statement has been given, loud and clear. BJ should go back to LW and take back his belt. As far as i'm concerned, he lost one fight to Edgar because i still feel he was robbed in the first fight and incredibly lackadaisical in the second, but i digress. Huge win for Penn, i could not have dreamt it up any better. This is easily my favorite Penn moment considering it's a time where he was arguably at his lowest regard from fans and it MATT FUCKIN HUGHES, arguably his biggest rival.

Rampage/Machida was a worthy main event. I'll probably only watch it two times though. This time i just watched it and the second viewing where i decide if Machida should have won 2 rounds. I'll spout of on a small or big rant here. The way i feel is Machida should have won the fight though i'm not suprised or particularly enraged that he did not. In the first two rounds i was all over Machida because it was a bizarro world version of him. We're used to seeing him explosive, unpredictable, and crisp. In rounds 1 and 2 he was predictable and sloppy, as well as hittable. I'd like to say this was because Rampage looked great but he really didnt. Obviously Rampage was very focused and he fought a good fight but i just didnt get the "He's back" vibe from his performance except for maybe one sequence. Fact is, Machida managed to do more in 5 minutes as far as strikes landed, positition gained than Rampage did the entire fight but the 10 point must system saved Rampage. In Japan and in my scorecard, this is Machida's fight..easily. I know the 10 point must system is a staple in american combat sports, and usually in 5 round fights it's never a problem but 3 rounds, the fact that a did close to nothing, yet slightly more first round pretty much negates an absolute 3rd round onslaught by Lyoto leaves a sour taste in my mouth. Good fight though. One judge gave it to Lyoto because Lyoto did the only thing of note in round 2 despite Rampage "controlling" the round and it was all Machida in round 3. I know this grievance will be written off because i'm a Machida fan but Machida gained about two takedowns, side control, a mount, rocked Rampage in a flurry of punches that mostly all landed, including a kick to the face compared to a takedown and a few clean punches throughout the entire fight for Rampage...does anybody not see how this kind of sucks?

Phil Davis looked good although i'm not going to throw a coming out party because Boetcsh is arguably his most tailor made opponent to date. However, i'm impressed with Davis submission skills for a wrestler, also his willingness to test the striking game. Big points for a guy who could get by on solely wrestling fighting the level of competition he has but he is using these matchups to improve his game. He wants to be a GSP and not a Fitch. With his athleticism and size, that is scary.

Falco-Harris sucked. I can see Harris getting cut. I know it one loss but if there is one thing UFC hates is putting somebody they thought was exciting as the prep before the main events and not only see him afraid to engage but also completely overmatched in every phase of the game only to see him afraid to engage when HE REALLY NEEDS TO ENGAGE. Harris fought boring, he fought scared, he looked untalented and it was on PPV. I would not be suprised to see him red tagged. Falco looked good but not "watch out for him" good as Joe Rogan stated with annoying repetition.

George-Lauzon was forgettable unless you want to learn something about Joe. Mr. Premature ejaculator pulled a complete Sokoudjou. Looked great in round 1, absolutely worthless in the second. It's hard to give George the due credit for this one since i think most LW in the UFC would have finished Lauzon at that point. Thing about George was that he looked weak in the stand up and unable to take Lauzon down. That does not bode well against stronger, hard to takedown and competent strikers in Edgar and Maynard. Sot is not ready.

Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva, Jose Aldo

PostSubject: Re: UFC 122 thoughts and rate it   UFC 122 thoughts and rate it EmptySun Nov 21, 2010 3:06 am

Nice post Kings

I looked at my buddy before the fight when I saw how pumped BJ was and told him BJ's fucking Hughes up tonight, didn't expect that though. Not sure what I want from BJ, stay at WW and beat everyone before fighting GSP who'll just take him down or go back to LW and avenge his loss to Frankie. IMO I want him to move back down to LW and avenge his loss or losses.

I thought the decision should have went to Machida, but it wasn't a full out robbery. If I scored it, might have been a draw, think a immediate rematch is warranted.

Not sure J-Lo was Soko-esque, but more so surprised Stiro who then settled down and proved he was the better fighter. Ahree he's not ready for the top guys, but still good, What about KenFlo/Dunham winner?

Falcao fight was weird, but I think this guy has some potential, would like to see him again against someone tougher.

LOVE Barbosa, can't wait to see him again.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

PostSubject: Re: UFC 122 thoughts and rate it   UFC 122 thoughts and rate it EmptySun Nov 21, 2010 3:12 am

I'm with you guys on the Machida-Page fight. It's not a complete robbery but Machida was the only fighter who did any damage. The sucky thing about this fight was that Machida absolutely caused the knockdown in the second with a punch, but didn't get credit for it because of the way it looked.
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

PostSubject: Re: UFC 122 thoughts and rate it   UFC 122 thoughts and rate it EmptySun Nov 21, 2010 3:12 am

Falcao looks like an Orc from LOTR

and why was that fight the middle fight of the main event?
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: UFC 122 thoughts and rate it   UFC 122 thoughts and rate it EmptySun Nov 21, 2010 3:15 am

J-Lau was the easy winner for biggest disappointment award
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

PostSubject: Re: UFC 122 thoughts and rate it   UFC 122 thoughts and rate it EmptySun Nov 21, 2010 3:52 am

Sad for Karo, remember thinking it when I saw it first, but just saw it again, him yelling No made me sad.
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: UFC 122 thoughts and rate it   UFC 122 thoughts and rate it EmptySun Nov 21, 2010 3:55 am

Its been a while since I've seen him but i know he hasn't always been that soft?
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

PostSubject: Re: UFC 122 thoughts and rate it   UFC 122 thoughts and rate it EmptySun Nov 21, 2010 3:56 am

In the mid section? if that's what ur talking my buddy said that too
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

PostSubject: Re: UFC 122 thoughts and rate it   UFC 122 thoughts and rate it EmptySun Nov 21, 2010 4:03 am

Addiction will weaken people. Karo is not the same guy mentally or physically that went to war with Nick Diaz, Matt Serra, Diego Sanchez in the mid 2000's.

Unfortunatley his painkiller addiction was or still is a serious issue.
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

PostSubject: Re: UFC 122 thoughts and rate it   UFC 122 thoughts and rate it EmptySun Nov 21, 2010 4:05 am

Does he get cut?
Back to top Go down
killerofchicken
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
killerofchicken

Favorite Fighter(s) : Mauricio Shogun Rua, BJ Penn, AXE MURDERER,Fedor, CroCop, Vitor Belfort, JDS

PostSubject: Re: UFC 122 thoughts and rate it   UFC 122 thoughts and rate it EmptySun Nov 21, 2010 4:09 am

i think so, he showed nothing to say otherwise. he looked chubbier than average and got worked.
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

PostSubject: Re: UFC 122 thoughts and rate it   UFC 122 thoughts and rate it EmptySun Nov 21, 2010 4:09 am

I don't think so. He'll get another fight. I'm sure they are pleased there were no Karo shenanigans one night before the fight and Karo is one of the purest defintions of a UFC veteren. They won't cut him when he seemingly improved on what got him cut originally. Shit happens. It was his second fight since January of 2009 against a lot better competition than he fought in Australia.
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

PostSubject: Re: UFC 122 thoughts and rate it   UFC 122 thoughts and rate it EmptySun Nov 21, 2010 4:13 am

I sadly think so, but hope he gets another one, I'd still say he better then some of these other guys on the prelims.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: UFC 122 thoughts and rate it   UFC 122 thoughts and rate it Empty

Back to top Go down

UFC 122 thoughts and rate it
Page 1 of 1