Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

SF Gate vs UFC Gate:

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva, Jose Aldo

SF Gate vs UFC Gate: Empty
PostSubject: SF Gate vs UFC Gate:   SF Gate vs UFC Gate: EmptyMon Jun 20, 2011 3:37 am

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2011/6/19/2232594/strikeforce-overeem-vs-werdum-live-gate-a-fraction-of-ufc-event-in

When I first saw the numbers on Junkie I was like, really? It's like 1/4 the average UFC event. And it kind of backs that SF for all the noise they were making wasn't doing as well financially. It doesn't exactly speak well for the future of SF, I've always kind of thought everything done under the SF name could be done under the UFC name more successfully, but you know that... SF should become their B Org, going to smaller venues with lower ticket prices, also maybe they could experiment in SF, tourneys, rules whatever..
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

PostSubject: Re: SF Gate vs UFC Gate:   SF Gate vs UFC Gate: EmptyMon Jun 20, 2011 3:41 am

They have typically had smaller gates than the UFC. Doesn't mean they don't make money. However they could make more with these fighters and the UFC brand. These numbers here also should reflect that the NBA finals hangover has hurt this card in much the same way Vancouver being in the middle of the finals made that the least successful Canadian card ever, or how Jones vs Rua under performed against March Madness.

Dana is right when he says other sports are the real competition.
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

PostSubject: Re: SF Gate vs UFC Gate:   SF Gate vs UFC Gate: EmptyMon Jun 20, 2011 3:45 am

Those were during, this was after, it's also around their typical gate I believe.

It costs more then 500K to run that event, even sponsors, Showtime money, IDK how far that outweighs certain other expenses. It'd be interesting to see their books, if only....
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: SF Gate vs UFC Gate:   SF Gate vs UFC Gate: EmptyMon Jun 20, 2011 3:51 am

LA wrote:
Those were during, this was after, it's also around their typical gate I believe.

It costs more then 500K to run that event, even sponsors, Showtime money, IDK how far that outweighs certain other expenses. It'd be interesting to see their books, if only....

No wonder they instituted a sponsor tax. 30k as opposed to the UFC's 100k. Shows what the value of SF is compared to Strikeforce. I still don't believe they'd suddenly be losing money on these events though.
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

PostSubject: Re: SF Gate vs UFC Gate:   SF Gate vs UFC Gate: EmptyMon Jun 20, 2011 4:11 am

It's 100k in the UFC? Wowwww.

There is no reason with the UFC/Zuffa in charge now any SF event should lose money, to much they can put behind it, but that gate makes me wonder.
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

PostSubject: Re: SF Gate vs UFC Gate:   SF Gate vs UFC Gate: EmptyMon Jun 20, 2011 5:22 pm

^
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

PostSubject: Re: SF Gate vs UFC Gate:   SF Gate vs UFC Gate: EmptyMon Jun 20, 2011 6:41 pm

UFC 130 did 2.6 mill

TUF Finale 13 did 440,000 compared to SF's 540,000

http://www.mmafighting.com/2011/06/20/ufc-130-draws-7-470-paid-fans-gate-of-almost-2-6-million/
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

Favorite Fighter(s) : Griffin, Franklin, Hendo, Sonnen, Wand, Lawler, Belfort, Pettis, Aldo, Mousasi

PostSubject: Re: SF Gate vs UFC Gate:   SF Gate vs UFC Gate: EmptyMon Jun 20, 2011 8:03 pm

LA wrote:
UFC 130 did 2.6 mill

http://www.mmafighting.com/2011/06/20/ufc-130-draws-7-470-paid-fans-gate-of-almost-2-6-million/

Keep in mind the palms is tiny. I bet it seats like 2500 tops.

TUF = small time show on the level or below a fight night.

SF HW GP = suppose to be equal to an UFC PPV.
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

PostSubject: Re: SF Gate vs UFC Gate:   SF Gate vs UFC Gate: EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 1:25 am

it's probably not appropriate to use UFC gates as a barometer of if Strikeforce gates are good or not.

UFC charges an assload more for tickets. Atleast for their California dates as opposed to SF in San Jose. Strikeforce puts 5K inside an arena, they might make for a half million gate...UFC does the same they somehow still made 2-3 million.

The more money SF put in shows, for example the M-1 co-promoted events then you would see higher ticket prices and higher gates over a million...i doubt they would have it so an event that did well in ticket sales would only bring in a little under a million dollars in gate if it was not what they were aiming for. They certainly didnt make enough merch to have any hope that would boost it.

500K in gate is a bit lower than usual for their main cards, so i'm going to guess this event was not all that successful attendence wise...it looked similar to their Miami date on the TV...which did poorly.

We don't know how much extra money they are spending and how much extra money they have coming in to coherently discuss this topic with meaning. We don't have figures outside of live gate and fighter purse.

Zuffa bought them for 40 million, which is pretty high value for an org that had only been national for 2 years. They could not have been doing too bad. Majority owners wanted to sell and that was that. It was said they were losing some money, but i doubt they were on their way to folding or anything like that.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: SF Gate vs UFC Gate:   SF Gate vs UFC Gate: EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 2:26 am

They weren't losing money, they were just ready to cash out.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: SF Gate vs UFC Gate:   SF Gate vs UFC Gate: EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 2:32 am

when comparing it to the UFC gate I remember Dallas Morning News saying UFC gave away as many as 3,00 comped tickets, people forget UFC practicalkly gives out a ton of tickets on fight night as does SF

Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

PostSubject: Re: SF Gate vs UFC Gate:   SF Gate vs UFC Gate: EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 3:57 pm

Farmer1906 wrote:
LA wrote:
UFC 130 did 2.6 mill

Keep in mind the palms is tiny. I bet it seats like 2500 tops.

TUF = small time show on the level or below a fight night.

SF HW GP = suppose to be equal to an UFC PPV.

That was the point of the compare, but you nailed it anyways Farm
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

PostSubject: Re: SF Gate vs UFC Gate:   SF Gate vs UFC Gate: EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 4:02 pm

Birdofthad wrote:
when comparing it to the UFC gate I remember Dallas Morning News saying UFC gave away as many as 3,00 comped tickets, people forget UFC practicalkly gives out a ton of tickets on fight night as does SF

Really shouldn't effect the gate numbers, not sure you they could count tickets they given away in their revenue.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: SF Gate vs UFC Gate:   SF Gate vs UFC Gate: EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 5:30 pm

I don't remember where anyone within either side of the company claimed financial expectations of a SF GP show should equal a numbered UFC.
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

PostSubject: Re: SF Gate vs UFC Gate:   SF Gate vs UFC Gate: EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 5:39 pm

No one said they should, but 540,000 is low for that event, I'd be very curious to see sponsor money and showtime money aswell ect and how everything revenue weighs against expenses.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: SF Gate vs UFC Gate:   SF Gate vs UFC Gate: EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 5:42 pm

Being in the wake of an NBA title has to hurt the event. It has to. Sports viewers were all preoccupied and the normal local coverage you'd get is buried. Because the finals ended days before the event doesn't matter. The event is the second highest rated MMA event in Showtime history, to add perspective. Locally it was hampered by the finals.
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

PostSubject: Re: SF Gate vs UFC Gate:   SF Gate vs UFC Gate: EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 5:50 pm

530K for Diaz/Daley
540K for Hendo/Fiejo
1mill for Fedor/Werdum and Silva

Highest obviously with Fedor otherwise typical, Fedor's salary and M-1 I'm sure cut into that though.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: SF Gate vs UFC Gate:   SF Gate vs UFC Gate: EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 6:55 pm

Wolfgangsta wrote:
Being in the wake of an NBA title has to hurt the event. It has to. Sports viewers were all preoccupied and the normal local coverage you'd get is buried. Because the finals ended days before the event doesn't matter. The event is the second highest rated MMA event in Showtime history, to add perspective. Locally it was hampered by the finals.

EXTREMELY RIGHT ON THE MONEY WOLF

People forget, this whole city got Thursday off to attend the victory parade which had over 300,000 people tehre

Add in everyone spent their hard earned money partying and buying Championship gear. This was a solid turnout for a preoccupied city

and your spot on about local coverage, ESPN radio never covers mma, and the Ticket (local bad ass sports station) does cover it but where only covering Mavs the past week, virtually no mma talk, and the only comercial i heard was hyping up Gina Caranos return
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

Favorite Fighter(s) : Griffin, Franklin, Hendo, Sonnen, Wand, Lawler, Belfort, Pettis, Aldo, Mousasi

PostSubject: Re: SF Gate vs UFC Gate:   SF Gate vs UFC Gate: EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 6:56 pm

Wolfgangsta wrote:

That would only make sense if the finals were taking place. It was over almost a week before. If anything all the advertisements at the NBA playoffs and finals games in Dallas gave it more exposure to the local bball fans.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

PostSubject: Re: SF Gate vs UFC Gate:   SF Gate vs UFC Gate: EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 6:58 pm

gotta disagree farmer

The victory parade was thursday

the fights were saturday

this city was very preoccupied with the mavs
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

PostSubject: Re: SF Gate vs UFC Gate:   SF Gate vs UFC Gate: EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 8:43 pm

I'd say EDC took more away than a week old Mavs game in Miami
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: SF Gate vs UFC Gate:   SF Gate vs UFC Gate: EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 8:58 pm

You realize bird is from D right? The local sports media and ears were tuned into the Mavs and are still high on the celebration. Had the Mavs been eliminated in the playoffs by the lakers only mid season baseball would be on the minds of the local sports media and fans and the Strikeforce event would have had a much larger profile. Right now it's still OMGFYG WE JUST WON HOLY SHIT!!! and aint nobody going down to the arena to watch some fights when they'd rather spend the buck 150 on authentic Dirk jerseys for themselves and the kids.

Urbody is still tuned into the Mavs.

Besides, there were precious few days left to sell tickets after the finals ended. An events hype doesn't start the six days prior to you know...

Don't be dumb guys and try to deny a very basic and obvious truth and one backed up by a Dallas resident.
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

PostSubject: Re: SF Gate vs UFC Gate:   SF Gate vs UFC Gate: EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 11:00 pm

Still think that it had a very minor effect if any at all.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

PostSubject: Re: SF Gate vs UFC Gate:   SF Gate vs UFC Gate: EmptyWed Jun 22, 2011 12:56 am

people spent 500 dollars to get inside the AAC for the victory parade, no bull. You think Mark Cuban helped promote this for one second?

The key to having a succesful fight in Dallas is make the local rich people think its an important event. I.E. Jerry Jones with Pacquiao fights.

Only people I ran into at the fight where old Pride die hards, StrikeForce fans from San Jose (no bull alot of them), and people that worked for Rockstar and got free tickets (shitload)

This fight had no press coverage before the event and the night after, was on the 2nd page, 4 sentences, stuck between 4 other shorts side stories (mostly soccer).

Today DIrk was on 103.5 for a 15 minute interview, Jason Terry was on 1310 the ticket and DeSean Stevenson was on ESPN radio

That was today, trust me the town is still on a Mavericks high

Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

PostSubject: Re: SF Gate vs UFC Gate:   SF Gate vs UFC Gate: EmptyWed Jun 22, 2011 1:01 am

I'm with Farm, this isn't a case where the Finals was still going on.....The Mavs wrapped it up in Miami, and sure there was a Parade, but those don't really deter from going out to an event on the weekend 2 days later. I'd almost think for all those partied out, there'd be just as many still pumped and like, lets go out to that SF event this weekend. The gate numbers also seem pretty normal from a bunch of SF events I looked up, only events featuring Fedor deviate from what I've seen.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: SF Gate vs UFC Gate:   SF Gate vs UFC Gate: Empty

Back to top Go down

SF Gate vs UFC Gate:
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next