Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

What the Strikeforce tournament is really designed to do, and what the UFC failed to do.

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

What the Strikeforce tournament is really designed to do, and what the UFC failed to do.  Empty
PostWhat the Strikeforce tournament is really designed to do, and what the UFC failed to do.

What the Strikeforce tournament is really designed to do, and what the UFC failed to do.  3441238273_2f6f220c10

(Werdum vs Dos Santos will unify the titles in the first round of the tournament)

As 2010 came to a close, there was a lot of talk about the failures of Strikeforce to assert themselves or make the matches they needed to. While I felt a lot of that was overreaction to a six month staging period or holding pattern, if there was one criticism of Strikeforce since the aquisition of Fedor Emelianenko in 2009, it was the fact they had not merged their HW crown, something which has been notoriously meaningless. Like Kid Nate recently pointed out, I've long argued that no one in their division seemed to care about winning or fighting for this title at all. Werdum said he would rather grant Fedor his rematch than fight the champion in a five round title fight. Overeem in his post Dream interviews and speech said in 2010 he won three titles in three promotions, referencing his K-1, Dream and Strikeforce title wins. Problem is, as Coker in his videoblog actually had to bring to Overeem's attention, he was already the Strikeforce champion in the first place. And it has been no secret that Fedor and M-1 couldn't give a shit less about the SF trinket, and their business decisions have long reflected that. The only title that mattered was the Lineal MMA HW championship and M-1 and Fedor knew that regardless of whoever held the Strikeforce title, the real champion was Emelianenko.

For those that don't know what Lineal Titile means, it is a term borrowed from boxing. Wikipedia defines the term as ;

Quote :

In professional boxing, the lineal championship of a weight class is a notional world championship title. It is initially held at some moment in time by a boxer universally acclaimed as the best in the class. Another boxer can win the lineal championship only by defeating the reigning lineal champion in the ring. The lineal champion is described as "the man who beat the man".

And for those that don't understand what the MMA lineal title is, here is the table that shows how the UFC/Pride title ended up in Strikeforce, Dave Meltzer breaks it down ;
Quote :

While Brock Lesnar(now Cain Velasquez - the Bieb) holds that championship today, the linear title scenario isn’t as cut-and-dried. The UFC belt passed from Coleman to Maurice Smith to Randy Couture, all in 1997. Couture then had money issues with the original UFC ownership group, left the company without being defeated, and went to Japan.

The linear title left UFC with Couture, who lost via armbar to Enson Inoue in a Vale Tudo fight in Tokyo on October 25, 1998. Inoue then lost to Mark Kerr in the PRIDE organization. Kerr then lost to Kazuyuki Fujita on May 1, 2000, and that’s where things get really interesting.

Fujita battered Kerr to win a decision in a major upset. It was the first match for both men in an eight-man, one-night event that was billed to crown the best fighter in the sport, the original PRIDE Grand Prix tournament.

Fujita suffered a knee injury in the Kerr fight from ramming his knee into Kerr’s head so many times. He came to the ring for his second fight, in order to collect his paycheck, and as soon as the bell rang, his corner threw in the towel in a match with Coleman, so technically, he competed and lost. Coleman went on to win the tournament, and the linear title stayed with PRIDE until the closing of the organization in 2007.

Coleman’s next loss was to Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, who later became PRIDE’s first world heavyweight champion. Nogueira held both the linear and PRIDE titles until losing to Fedor Emelianenko via decision on March 16, 2003.

Nobody beat Emelianenko until June 26, 2010, in San Jose, when Fabricio Werdum submitted him with an armbar in 1:09 in a Strikeforce match. So while Lesnar holds the most publicized version of a world title, Werdum actually holds the linear claim that traces back to Shamrock.

If that isn't enough, Couture also lost two more "lineal"(meaningless ones) titles(one to Valentijn Overeem, and one to Josh Barnett in the UFC) that also made their way to Nog and then to Fedor. This is why for many fans it is hard to take a fourth title won from a Couture-Nog tree that serious. In 2008 Couture and Nog held two pieces of the UFC title(If that isn't enough, both won from Tim Sylvia, who Fedor then obliterated in a much more impressive fashion immediately after), which were later merged by Mir and Lesnar. This title now rests with Cain. Werdum already has three other titles won from younger and better versions of these fighters. The only reason the UFC title has any significance at all is because of the fact it's the UFC title. But to borrow again from the boxing tradition, the UFC title is just that, a title, and not a true Championship.

A lesson Strikeforce had to learn the hard way was never to book fights based on who you think may win. This is something the UFC also learned in the past. While the loss by Emelianenko has been parlayed into an even more interesting tournament and greated more legitimate players, the loss to Werdum really mucked things up for Strikeforce in the short term last year as it prevented the blockbuster Fedor vs Overeem PPV from happening as planned, which would have unified all the titles into the Strikeforce title, making the Strikeforce Heavyweight Champion the legitimate UFC/Pride(Wamma/EliteXC/IFL/Iron Ring) HW champion. This tournament will do that.

What the Strikeforce tournament is really designed to do, and what the UFC failed to do.  Alistairovereembelt

(the original SF title won in 2007 was little more than a regional trinket)

With Strikeforce there has been a lot of confusion in the HW division. Right now, Strikeforce cannot in good faith argue that their HW champion is even their best or highest ranked HW, much less the best HW in the sport. As I pointed out in an earlier piece, the winner of this tournament will also have had to navigate a field containing the very best in kickboxing and grappling in the world today, with both the reigning K1 and ADCC champions being part of the draw. After this tournament concludes, they will be able to. In addition to the accolades the winner of the tournament will inherit, they will also have faced a murderers row of legitimate, top quality heavyweights, once and for all putting to bed the criticism that the Lineal Champion hasn't been facing the type of competition to deserve that ranking.

There is also the argument the lineal title doesn't mean anything. For some fans, I guess all they care about is the UFC title, but if you ask Cain, Overeem, Werdum, Fedor, or Couture when he was champion, they would disagree. Dana White also disagrees. There is a reason he threw buckets of cash at Fedor and obsessed over Fedor as he did. This was the reason the UFC bought Pride in the first place. This is the reason they purchased the Affliction contracts. The legitimacy of requiring all the lineal titles is something the UFC has made a goal. While not implicitly stated, it has been obvious through their actions. Beyond that, Lineal titles are of significance even in the realm of Pro-wrestling. The Montreal Screwjob where Brett Hart was famously double crossed in his last match was predicated on protecting the WWE Lineal Title from traveling to the WCW.

In a conversation with BloodyElbow's Mike Fagan, he told me he still wouldn't concede the Strikeforce title will gain legitimacy through this tournament. I disagree vehemently. Strikeforce is the one holding this Grand Prix(Yes Batman, this is a Grand Prix). Strikeforce is the one holding and arranging this tournament and will be the organization where the tournament winner will continue to defend the title. The Strikeforce title will become the lineal title with this tournament unification. This is indeed the game changer SF has been looking for.

What the Strikeforce tournament is really designed to do, and what the UFC failed to do.  Mma_coleman_580

(Mark Coleman celebrating his win in Pride's original Openweight GP)

This tournament is a direct analogy to the original Pride GP which crowned Mark Coleman as the lineal champion, and announced Pride as the major league player they became. There is a reason for Dana White's silence. He knows what this tournament signifies. Expect a major counter attack. Strikeforce has done what the UFC has failed to do - make their HW champion the true champion of the sport. While Strikeforce may not be perfect, they're one of the big boys now. Are they on the UFC's level entirely? No. They have not the history nor the depth in all divisions, but are they a Major League show? Absolutely. Is there any reason we as fans should expect an upstart to have the history, depth or significance of the UFC? Would that be realistic? Should we hold it against Strikeforce?

Scott Coker has atoned for his promotion's short comings and hit a grand slam home run. From this point on, any denials of Strikeforce's relevance to MMA can only be seen as either uneducated fanboyism or deliberate intellectual dishonesty.
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
Share this post on: reddit

What the Strikeforce tournament is really designed to do, and what the UFC failed to do. :: Comments

GDPofDRC
Excellent Writeup
Post Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:13 pm by GDPofDRC
Great commentary. I've said this before, but did not say it, better. The lineal HW title will grace the SF HW title through this Grand Prix. HW has always been one of UFC's weakest divisions while being globally, one of the non-UFC's best. This puts a stamp on that. UFC's HW division, for all of their great fighters, will not have the best HW fighter in the world after this tournament. SF has my full blessing with this tournament to charge the same money that UFC has on several occasions charged me for a lesser product. SF does have Dana and Zuffa concerned with their power move, without a doubt. As an MMA fan you have to appreciate, or hate. Fuck off haters.
I think the piece is decent work and the arguments solid. However, what will all that lineal championship mean if it fails and SF goes under a few years down the line? Now their champion has a bone to pick with the UFC and goes to Sharkfights in Texas instead? So now I have to believe Sharkfights has the best HW fighter on the planet, because of lineal-champion-thing-from-boxing?

Strikeforce has arguably the best HW Division in MMA, so does the UFC, but I digress, Their other divisions lack real depth. As organizations continue to decline (DREAM, Shine) and fall apart, most of their best fighters will go for the big money and fame of the UFC, over the promises of the best MMA organization out of San Jose'.

I like having multiple organizations and hope they build it well and the Tourney do well, but eventually they are going to have a nasty break-up with M-1 and I wonder how that will affect things too.
Andrew the Raider King wrote:
I think the piece is decent work and the arguments solid. However, what will all that lineal championship mean if it fails and SF goes under a few years down the line? Now their champion has a bone to pick with the UFC and goes to Sharkfights in Texas instead? So now I have to believe Sharkfights has the best HW fighter on the planet, because of lineal-champion-thing-from-boxing?

Strikeforce has arguably the best HW Division in MMA, so does the UFC, but I digress, Their other divisions lack real depth. As organizations continue to decline (DREAM, Shine) and fall apart, most of their best fighters will go for the big money and fame of the UFC, over the promises of the best MMA organization out of San Jose'.

I like having multiple organizations and hope they build it well and the Tourney do well, but eventually they are going to have a nasty break-up with M-1 and I wonder how that will affect things too.

Sorry Mr.White, but the winner of SF tourney will be the TRUE HW Champion of the World.
I like it.
If Fedor, Reem, or Werdum win this tournament they will be the #1 HW in the world. If anyone else wins it I will not consider them the lineal or World HW champ. Call me a UFC fanboy, but if anyone besides those three win it I just don't see how I could rank them over Cain.

Nice read Wolf.
What if Bigfoot runs the Fedor Overeem/Werdum Gauntlet? Honestly who ever makes it to the finals out of that bracket will be my number 1 in the world with Cain being out till the fall and JDS only going to have one fight in the mean time. The fighter who makes it to the finals from the bottom bracket will have vaulted themselves into the top ten easily and set up a great, significant fight.
GDPofDRC wrote:
What if Bigfoot runs the Fedor Overeem/Werdum Gauntlet? Honestly who ever makes it to the finals out of that bracket will be my number 1 in the world with Cain being out till the fall and JDS only going to have one fight in the mean time. The fighter who makes it to the finals from the bottom bracket will have vaulted themselves into the top ten easily and set up a great, significant fight.

That's all true. AA, Sergei and Rogers have a 0% chance to win this thing. All others, if they win will be #1 in the World.
OU wrote:

Sorry Mr.White, but the winner of SF tourney will be the TRUE HW Champion of the World.

Oh, please! That is like saying James Toney is the best HW in the world of boxing. Why not? He has a belt right?
GDPofDRC wrote:

Yeah I guess I would vote Bigfoot #1 if he ran thru everyone. If he wins and beats Reem I would like to see a rematch with Werdum after the tournament.
I agree and it would set up perfectly for it unless Werdum fights someone in between and loses. But if Bigfoot won out there would be Fedor who people would want a rematch for as well. This GP sets the stage for good HW battles beyond the finals.
OU wrote:

Oh, please! That is like saying James Toney is the best HW in the world of boxing. Why not? He has a belt right?
No way toney doesn't have one of the big three inWBC, WBA, or ibf .w
End of the day the belts mean little, the fighter, the fights. Those are the real.
OU wrote:

how is this ANYTHING like that? get real dude, your hate for SF is just simply annoying at this point
killerofchicken wrote:
OU wrote:

how is this ANYTHING like that? get real dude, your hate for SF is just simply annoying at this point

I don't HATE Strikeforce, I look at them like I look at college football teams compared to the NFL. But just because I don't make excuses for them, doesn't mean I am bashing them. I said they arguably have the best HW division in the sport. I also pointed out their other divisions lack depth and that as other orgs breakdown and break up, they will get access only to the leftovers, because the UFC can and will outbid them. This isn't hatered, it isn't even rocket science. If you are a great Quarterback and you have the option to play for the CFL for 500K or the NFL for the same amount which one do you choose? You can say the CFL, but you would be a liar, because that isn't going to help your game or garner you exposure, plus you would lose more money over taxes. Plus the whole lineal thing is for guys who have too much time on their fucking hands. I pointed out the difficulty and shortcomings of that too. It doesn't make me a hater, it makes me a realist.
killerofchicken wrote:
OU wrote:

I don't HATE Strikeforce, I look at them like I look at college football teams compared to the NFL. But just because I don't make excuses for them, doesn't mean I am bashing them. I said they arguably have the best HW division in the sport. I also pointed out their other divisions lack depth and that as other orgs breakdown and break up, they will get access only to the leftovers, because the UFC can and will outbid them. This isn't hatered, it isn't even rocket science. If you are a great Quarterback and you have the option to play for the CFL for 500K or the NFL for the same amount which one do you choose? You can say the CFL, but you would be a liar, because that isn't going to help your game or garner you exposure, plus you would lose more money over taxes. Plus the whole lineal thing is for guys who have too much time on their fucking hands. I pointed out the difficulty and shortcomings of that too. It doesn't make me a hater, it makes me a realist.
dude, look what we were talking about, the winner of this tourney as it stands is the BEST HW in the WORLD!!!
so what made Randy the lineal champ? because he was the UFC champ? Because Mo Smith and Mark Coleman unified Extreme Fighting and UFC? Or is it when Ken Shamrock beat Dan Severn making him the man in Pancrase and UFC??

Thats just my curious question, when does the lineal MMA title start??

Reguardless if Mark Kerr and Kaz Fujita where the lineal champ I still say Bas Rutten was the man during that time when Randy left the UFC. King of Pancrase and UFC Heavyweight champ at same time = pretty damn impressive.

Although I understand how lineal titles work thats why im curious about what fight made the UFC title the lineal title.
Interesting take on the situation. This tournament does in fact determine who the very best Heavyweight in the world is especially with Cain being out for so long now. Though we all have to be prepared for that come the end of all this if it turns out that someone like Arlovski, Sergei, or even Rogers ends up winning it all. Even if neither of them has to fight Fedor, Overeem, or Werdum to win the tournament, they will in fact be the best heavyweight in the world and new lineal champion as well as Strikeforce Champion if I understand it right.
Birdofthad wrote:
so what made Randy the lineal champ? because he was the UFC champ? Because Mo Smith and Mark Coleman unified Extreme Fighting and UFC? Or is it when Ken Shamrock beat Dan Severn making him the man in Pancrase and UFC??

Thats just my curious question, when does the lineal MMA title start??

Reguardless if Mark Kerr and Kaz Fujita where the lineal champ I still say Bas Rutten was the man during that time when Randy left the UFC. King of Pancrase and UFC Heavyweight champ at same time = pretty damn impressive.

Although I understand how lineal titles work thats why im curious about what fight made the UFC title the lineal title.

Damn bird I can't believe you don't know this as big an old era fan and as much as you know of boxing's lineal title's

Quote :
Royce Gracie won this tournament, winning three fights in one night against men much larger than him. In terms of lineage, Royce Gracie was the first UFC Heavyweight Champion with a win in the finals of the original tournament against Gerard Gordeau.

Gracie defended his title 5 times in 1994, including 4 times in one night when he won the second UFC tournament, which featured 16 men. However, Gracie lost to Harold Howard on September 9, 1994 by being too tired to fight and having to forfeit the match before it began due to exhaustion from a fight earlier in the night. This began a whirlwind of activity where the lineal title changed hands multiple times in quick succession.On September 9, 1994, Royce Gracie lost the lineal UFC Heavyweight title to Harold Howard by forfeiting their scheduled fight due to exhaustion. Harold Howard thus became the second UFC Heavyweight Champion based on the lineal title guidelines. Howard's reign was to be a short one as he lost his very next fight that same night to Steve Jennum, who won the third UFC tournament and became the thrid lineal heavyweight championship in the process. Jennum defended his title one time the following December then was inactive for a year. In his next fight in December 1995, Jennum lost the lineal title to Tank Abbott. Abbott's success as the fourth lineal UFC Heavyweight Champion was to be short lived much like Harold Howard's. Abbott lost the title in his very next fight, which was later that evening, to Dan Severn. Dan Severn would then carry the belt through seven title defenses over the next year and a half. Severn's reign was the first to include fights outside of the UFC. Severn competed in multiple organizations during this time, and defended his lineal belt in all of them.

The first official UFC Heavyweight Championship fight occured on February 7, 1997 and featured the fifth lineal UFC Heavyweight Champ Dan Severn against up and comer Mark Coleman. Coleman won the fight by choke less than three minutes into the first round to become the first true UFC Heavyweight Champion and the sixth lineal UFC Heavyweight Champion. Coleman dropped the belt in his first title defense to Maurice Smith in July 1997, making Smith the second UFC Heavyweight Champion and seventh lineal champion. Mo Smith defended the belt once against Tank Abbott before losing to Randy Couture in December of 1997, making Couture the third UFC Heavyweight Champion and eighth lineal UFC champion.
The fight between Couture and Smith would be historic in that it would be the last time that the lineal UFC Heavyweight Championship would be defended in the UFC. Couture was stripped of the physical title in January
1998 due to a contract dispute. However, seeing as a fighter cannot lose his lineal belt because of a contractual issue, Randy Couture retained his lineal championship status. Randy Couture lost his very next fight in October of that year to Enson Inoue at an event called Vale Tudo Japan 1998. Inoue became the ninth lineal UFC Heavyweight Champion and defended the title once before dropping it to Mark Kerr in the first round of the legendary Pride Open Weight Grand Prix on January 30, 2000. Mark Kerr would carry on as the tenth lineal UFC Heavyweight Champion for only three full months and zero title defenses before losing to Kazuyuki Fujita in the second round of the Pride Open Weight Grand Prix on May 1, 2000. Fujita became the eleventh lineal UFC Heavyweight Champion, but it was short lived, and Fujita lost the title later that night to Mark Coleman. Coleman went on to win the entire tournament in what is considered one of the finest performances in mixed martial arts history. As well, Coleman won the lineal UFC Heavyweight Championship for a second time, becoming the twelth champion.

Mark Coleman became the twelveth lineal UFC Heavyweight Champion in May of 2000 and was the first person to be lineal champ for a second time. Coleman's second reign was more successful than his first go around.
Coleman defended the title twice before being defeated by Antonio Rodrigo Nogueria in September 2001. Nogueria became the thirteenth lineal UFC Heavyweight Champion with the win. "Minotauro's" time with the belt brought about stability it had not seen since Dan Severn's tenure from 1995 to 1997. In all, Nogueria defended the title six times. The belt changed hands again when Nogueria lost a decision to Fedor Emelianenko in March 2003.

Emelianenko became the fourteenth lineal UFC Heavyweight Champion and began an unprecidented run with the belt.

You can also start it at the creation of the super-fight title as well, still leads to Werdum.
KOC, the winner of the fight is the best HW in Strikeforce, possibly the world. But as of now, we just won't know.
http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2011/1/18/1941732/strikeforce-heavyweight-tournament-lineal-title-at-stake-on-showtime
"Last week, Strikeforce announced that their heavyweight title would not be up for grabs in their upcoming heavyweight tournament. That's certainly their choice. But some titles are bigger than any promotion. The Strikeforce title may not be at stake this year, but MMA's lineal heavyweight championship certainly will be. Over the next few days we'll chase the history of this mythical title, one bigger than any promotional entity, one that transcends nation states or lines on a map."
Wolfgangsta wrote:
What the Strikeforce tournament is really designed to do, and what the UFC failed to do.  3441238273_2f6f220c10

(Werdum vs Dos Santos will unify the titles in the first round of the tournament)

Werdum vs Dos Santos?

What the Strikeforce tournament is really designed to do, and what the UFC failed to do.

Page 1 of 1