Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

My new Blog. Where the UFC failed is where the Strikeforce tournament shines.

Go down 
+2
chorky777
Wolfgangsta
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

My new Blog. Where the UFC failed is where the Strikeforce tournament shines.  Empty
PostSubject: My new Blog. Where the UFC failed is where the Strikeforce tournament shines.    My new Blog. Where the UFC failed is where the Strikeforce tournament shines.  EmptyMon Jan 10, 2011 7:48 pm

http://www.ninjasplace.com/n11496-what-the-strikeforce-tournament-is-really-designed-to-do-and-what-the-ufc-failed-to-do

Comment here or in the comments section, show love to the NP. I feed off the valid opinions of our high level group. Thoughts will be appreciated.
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

My new Blog. Where the UFC failed is where the Strikeforce tournament shines.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: My new Blog. Where the UFC failed is where the Strikeforce tournament shines.    My new Blog. Where the UFC failed is where the Strikeforce tournament shines.  EmptyMon Jan 10, 2011 7:52 pm

also, there has been a rash of fanposts at BE in the last hour and it may already be buried before it gets the play it deserves. rec it over there so it can stay at the top long enough to be read.
Back to top Go down
chorky777
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Weidman, McGregor, Pettis, Cowboy

PostSubject: Re: My new Blog. Where the UFC failed is where the Strikeforce tournament shines.    My new Blog. Where the UFC failed is where the Strikeforce tournament shines.  EmptyMon Jan 10, 2011 8:19 pm

The idea of a lineal title stems from racism in the early nineteen hundreds. Jack Johnson was the champion, but people refused to accept it, and since Jim Jeffries retired undefeated, they could always say that he wasn't the true champ. Of course he ended up whooping on Jeffries, and there wasn't much that could be said about it after that. Just wanted to point out the history of the lineal title and show that it's not necessarily some well thought out idea to crown a "true" champion, but more of a social idea invented to keep a black man from being the champion.
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

PostSubject: Re: My new Blog. Where the UFC failed is where the Strikeforce tournament shines.    My new Blog. Where the UFC failed is where the Strikeforce tournament shines.  EmptyMon Jan 10, 2011 8:53 pm

Past prejudices and present ideology. What do you think is the relevant relationship?
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/v/skCV2L0c6K0
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: My new Blog. Where the UFC failed is where the Strikeforce tournament shines.    My new Blog. Where the UFC failed is where the Strikeforce tournament shines.  EmptyMon Jan 10, 2011 9:39 pm

The lineal title has had nothing to with race in boxing for 100 years and would exist either way. I don't know if this is a troll or not.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: My new Blog. Where the UFC failed is where the Strikeforce tournament shines.    My new Blog. Where the UFC failed is where the Strikeforce tournament shines.  EmptyTue Jan 11, 2011 4:33 am

chorky777 wrote:
The idea of a lineal title stems from racism in the early nineteen hundreds. Jack Johnson was the champion, but people refused to accept it, and since Jim Jeffries retired undefeated, they could always say that he wasn't the true champ. Of course he ended up whooping on Jeffries, and there wasn't much that could be said about it after that. Just wanted to point out the history of the lineal title and show that it's not necessarily some well thought out idea to crown a "true" champion, but more of a social idea invented to keep a black man from being the champion.

ya but going back even further, John L. Sullivan was the first true lineal champ when he knocked out a damn brit I cant think of his name at the moment.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: My new Blog. Where the UFC failed is where the Strikeforce tournament shines.    My new Blog. Where the UFC failed is where the Strikeforce tournament shines.  EmptyTue Jan 11, 2011 4:39 am

lineal title in boxing went Sullivan, Corbett, Fitzsimmons, Jeffries (retires), Marvin Hart, Tommy Burns, Jack Johnson, Jess Willard, Jack Dempsey, Gene Tunney (retires as champ),Schmeling, Jack Sharkey, Primo Carnera, Max Baer, Braddock, Joe Louis (retires), Ezzard Charles, Jersey Joe Walcott, Rocky Marciano, Floyd Patterson, Ingemar Johansen, Floyd Patterson, Sonny Liston, Cassius Clay (forced out), Joe Frazier, George Foreman, Muhammad Ali, Leon Spinks, Muhammad Ali, Larry Holmes, Michael Spinks, Mike Tyson, Buster Douglas, Evander Holyfield, Michael Moorer, George Foreman..... then things get tricky, Shannon Briggs fight happens, no one agrees he is champ, we do not have a lineal heavyweight champ until Lennox Lewis and Evander Holyfield face, so Lennox Lewis (retires), Vitali Klitschko (retires), Wladimir Klitschko

and thats off the fucking dome
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: My new Blog. Where the UFC failed is where the Strikeforce tournament shines.    My new Blog. Where the UFC failed is where the Strikeforce tournament shines.  EmptyTue Jan 11, 2011 9:36 am

Wolfgangsta wrote:
also, there has been a rash of fanposts at BE in the last hour and it may already be buried before it gets the play it deserves. rec it over there so it can stay at the top long enough to be read.

Rec'd at BE.
Back to top Go down
chorky777
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: My new Blog. Where the UFC failed is where the Strikeforce tournament shines.    My new Blog. Where the UFC failed is where the Strikeforce tournament shines.  EmptyTue Jan 11, 2011 5:40 pm

Birdofthad wrote:
chorky777 wrote:

ya but going back even further, John L. Sullivan was the first true lineal champ when he knocked out a damn brit I cant think of his name at the moment.
Right, but the idea of a lineal title didn't come to fruition until Johnson became champ. The guys before were just considered the champion. Then Jeffries retired, and the title went to Marvin Hart. Nobody thought of Marvin Hart as anything less than the heavyweight champ. Nobody ever thought of a "lineal title" until Jack Johnson whooped on Tommy Burns. That's when people came up with the idea that the true champion was still Jim Jeffries, and people weren't going to consider Jack Johnson the "true" champion unless he beat Jeffries.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

PostSubject: Re: My new Blog. Where the UFC failed is where the Strikeforce tournament shines.    My new Blog. Where the UFC failed is where the Strikeforce tournament shines.  EmptyTue Jan 11, 2011 7:07 pm

no mmaeyes, honestly Sullivan was considered the first lineal champ. There was a brit who claimed to be the best out tehre, Sullivan beat him and was considered the first lineal champ. I know all about Johnson- Jeffries but the man that is considered the first lineal heavyweight champion of the world was Sullivan

Ask yourself this question

Why was Jeffries considered the champ then over Johnson? Cause he retired with the lineal belt that was won by Sullivan, then Corbett, then Fitzsimmons, and then Jeffries.

They didnt just say man Jeffries good and white, plus he was never beaten, it was the fact that he was the man who beat the man, who beat the man, who beat the man.
Back to top Go down
chorky777
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: My new Blog. Where the UFC failed is where the Strikeforce tournament shines.    My new Blog. Where the UFC failed is where the Strikeforce tournament shines.  EmptyTue Jan 11, 2011 9:05 pm

Birdofthad wrote:
no mmaeyes, honestly Sullivan was considered the first lineal champ. There was a brit who claimed to be the best out tehre, Sullivan beat him and was considered the first lineal champ. I know all about Johnson- Jeffries but the man that is considered the first lineal heavyweight champion of the world was Sullivan

Ask yourself this question

Why was Jeffries considered the champ then over Johnson? Cause he retired with the lineal belt that was won by Sullivan, then Corbett, then Fitzsimmons, and then Jeffries.

They didnt just say man Jeffries good and white, plus he was never beaten, it was the fact that he was the man who beat the man, who beat the man, who beat the man.
I'm pretty sure you're missing my point(as well as confusing me for mmaeyes). I agree that Jeffries was called the lineal champion because he beat Fitzsimmons who beat Corbett who beat Sullivan. I'm not disagreeing there. What I'm saying is that the idea of the lineal title didn't exist until after Johnson became champ. Sullivan was never considered the "lineal champ" in his day. He was just considered the heavyweight champ. The idea that the lineal title began with him was invented later.
Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Cung Le, BJ Penn, Mayhem, Chael Sonnen, Anthony Pettis

PostSubject: Re: My new Blog. Where the UFC failed is where the Strikeforce tournament shines.    My new Blog. Where the UFC failed is where the Strikeforce tournament shines.  EmptyTue Jan 11, 2011 9:28 pm

So in a few months the SF MW champion will be GSP! 2 BELTS FOR RUSH!
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

PostSubject: Re: My new Blog. Where the UFC failed is where the Strikeforce tournament shines.    My new Blog. Where the UFC failed is where the Strikeforce tournament shines.  EmptyTue Jan 11, 2011 10:57 pm

Chorky I can't post links on iPad haven't figured out how to but google lineal heavyweight champ, go to any of the lists, east side boxing has a good read on the subject. They all have Sullivan as the first
Back to top Go down
chorky777
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: My new Blog. Where the UFC failed is where the Strikeforce tournament shines.    My new Blog. Where the UFC failed is where the Strikeforce tournament shines.  EmptyWed Jan 12, 2011 3:35 pm

Birdofthad wrote:
Chorky I can't post links on iPad haven't figured out how to but google lineal heavyweight champ, go to any of the lists, east side boxing has a good read on the subject. They all have Sullivan as the first
I don't know what I'm doing wrong in explaining this.... I know that Sullivan is the first lineal champion. I'm not disputing that. What I'm saying is that he wasn't considered that until after Jack Johnson became the champion. The idea of a lineal champion didn't exist until Johnson was the champ. Then they created the idea, and led to Sullivan being considered the first true heavyweight champion.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: My new Blog. Where the UFC failed is where the Strikeforce tournament shines.    My new Blog. Where the UFC failed is where the Strikeforce tournament shines.  EmptyWed Jan 12, 2011 3:41 pm

lol poor chorky
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My new Blog. Where the UFC failed is where the Strikeforce tournament shines.    My new Blog. Where the UFC failed is where the Strikeforce tournament shines.  Empty

Back to top Go down

My new Blog. Where the UFC failed is where the Strikeforce tournament shines.
Page 1 of 1