Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Cung Le is too old for the Strikeforce Middleweight Tournament

Go down 
+6
acccardinal12
Cu Bu
captain organic
Andrew the Raider King
Wolfgangsta
OU
10 posters
AuthorMessage
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

Cung Le is too old for the Strikeforce Middleweight Tournament  Empty
PostSubject: Cung Le is too old for the Strikeforce Middleweight Tournament    Cung Le is too old for the Strikeforce Middleweight Tournament  EmptyWed Jun 30, 2010 12:17 pm

http://www.mmamania.com/2010/6/30/1544917/mma-quick-quote-cung-le-is-too-old
[quote]"You know tournaments, let those young guys do the tournaments. I'm 38 years old, and even though I looked 28 on Saturday, after I put that pizza, chocolate chips, and cookies in my stomach, I feel like a 38-year-old. I want to sit down with Scott Coker and see what he has in store for me, but I definitely didn't take that much wear and tear in this fight, and you go through that tournament and you're fighting a lot. There's going to be a lot of wear and tear, and I'm not sure exactly what I want to do at this point. Right now, in the last five months, I haven't had that much time to spend with my boys. It was a lot about me. I was really selfish for this fight, and I was really focused. I've got to give back a little bit."
Cung Le is too old for the Strikeforce Middleweight Tournament  Golden-le_medium
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

PostSubject: Re: Cung Le is too old for the Strikeforce Middleweight Tournament    Cung Le is too old for the Strikeforce Middleweight Tournament  EmptyWed Jun 30, 2010 1:01 pm

Dude has been a champion and the Fedor of San Shou for his whole life, and only did MMA has a late career springboard into other things, and new source of income and to test himself. The Smith loss hurt him and he avenged it, so now the motivation isn't quite there for him.

MMA fans won't understand and will say he is scared and hasn't fought anybody. But they don't understand this guy has been fighting for over 20 years straight.

I wish he'd do the tournament, but I can understand him not doing it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: Cung Le is too old for the Strikeforce Middleweight Tournament    Cung Le is too old for the Strikeforce Middleweight Tournament  EmptyWed Jun 30, 2010 1:04 pm

Wolfgangsta wrote:
Dude has been a champion and the Fedor of San Shou for his whole life, and only did MMA has a late career springboard into other things, and new source of income and to test himself. The Smith loss hurt him and he avenged it, so now the motivation isn't quite there for him.

MMA fans won't understand and will say he is scared and hasn't fought anybody. But they don't understand this guy has been fighting for over 20 years straight.

I wish he'd do the tournament, but I can understand him not doing it.

I agree.
Back to top Go down
Andrew the Raider King
Red Belt
Red Belt
Andrew the Raider King

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael, Sexyama, Condit, Hendricks, Cowboy, Struve

PostSubject: Re: Cung Le is too old for the Strikeforce Middleweight Tournament    Cung Le is too old for the Strikeforce Middleweight Tournament  EmptyWed Jun 30, 2010 1:11 pm

Agree.
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Cung Le is too old for the Strikeforce Middleweight Tournament    Cung Le is too old for the Strikeforce Middleweight Tournament  EmptyWed Jun 30, 2010 1:36 pm

i can deal with him not doing the tourney, those things are grueling for sure, and he just had a baby, but I do hope he stays active. Guy has a chance to make some noise, and is ultra entertaining, some very good matchups out there for him too.

If he won a fight in the meantime, I'd be totally cool with giving him a title shot once the champ is established.
Back to top Go down
Cu Bu
Black Belt
Black Belt
Cu Bu

Favorite Fighter(s) : AXE MURDERER

PostSubject: Re: Cung Le is too old for the Strikeforce Middleweight Tournament    Cung Le is too old for the Strikeforce Middleweight Tournament  EmptyWed Jun 30, 2010 2:05 pm

he would have to be 170 to have a chance against better competition
Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Cung Le, BJ Penn, Mayhem, Chael Sonnen, Anthony Pettis

PostSubject: Re: Cung Le is too old for the Strikeforce Middleweight Tournament    Cung Le is too old for the Strikeforce Middleweight Tournament  EmptyWed Jun 30, 2010 2:12 pm

I smell retirement coming soon. Cung has entertained me alot over the years. He has a few fights left in him and I hope he gives them to us.
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, JOSH KOSCHECK, SPIDER

PostSubject: Re: Cung Le is too old for the Strikeforce Middleweight Tournament    Cung Le is too old for the Strikeforce Middleweight Tournament  EmptyWed Jun 30, 2010 2:16 pm

bigbeastcardinal12 wrote:
I smell retirement coming soon. Cung has entertained me alot over the years. He has a few fights left in him and I hope he gives them to us.

I totally agree Beast.
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Cung Le is too old for the Strikeforce Middleweight Tournament    Cung Le is too old for the Strikeforce Middleweight Tournament  EmptyWed Jun 30, 2010 2:23 pm

I hate to be a computer geek dickhead, but if he retired now it would be a total waste. He barely scratched the surface. Sorry but I don't see his San Shou career as very fulfilling from a fan perspective.
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, JOSH KOSCHECK, SPIDER

PostSubject: Re: Cung Le is too old for the Strikeforce Middleweight Tournament    Cung Le is too old for the Strikeforce Middleweight Tournament  EmptyWed Jun 30, 2010 2:27 pm

Its not up to me to say if he should or shouldnt retire but Im with Beast I think it is coming soon.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cung Le is too old for the Strikeforce Middleweight Tournament    Cung Le is too old for the Strikeforce Middleweight Tournament  EmptyWed Jun 30, 2010 3:46 pm

Understandable considering he's 38, would be like Joe Calzaghe coming back to enter the Super Six.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: Cung Le is too old for the Strikeforce Middleweight Tournament    Cung Le is too old for the Strikeforce Middleweight Tournament  EmptyWed Jun 30, 2010 3:50 pm

completely understandable, after not being a big Cung Le fan I am slowly becoming one he seems like a nice guy and is always entertaining

hopefully he has 1 or 2 fights left in him
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

PostSubject: Re: Cung Le is too old for the Strikeforce Middleweight Tournament    Cung Le is too old for the Strikeforce Middleweight Tournament  EmptyWed Jun 30, 2010 4:06 pm

I don't think it mean retirement. Tournament bouts are usually a month or less apart....he probably is too old to do that or flat out does not want to do it.

I like it, it opens the door for maybe somebody like Luke Rockhold or Karl Ammoussou to get in there...i think tournaments should always feature atleast one or two up and comers. It's always big whern an up and comer wins a tourny full of proven vets.

I think Lawler and Le should be matched up outside the tournament...meaning Lawler does not get in the tourny and Babalu is.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: Cung Le is too old for the Strikeforce Middleweight Tournament    Cung Le is too old for the Strikeforce Middleweight Tournament  EmptyWed Jun 30, 2010 4:16 pm

agreee Kings, kind of like how Askren did in Bellator this year

I also agree Lawler vs Le should be the fight to be made, would be a FOTY candidate IMO
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Cung Le is too old for the Strikeforce Middleweight Tournament    Cung Le is too old for the Strikeforce Middleweight Tournament  EmptyWed Jun 30, 2010 4:18 pm

what about Thales Leites? 3-0 since being cut, wins over Lister and JT Money.

Last edited by OUSOONERSOU on Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

PostSubject: Re: Cung Le is too old for the Strikeforce Middleweight Tournament    Cung Le is too old for the Strikeforce Middleweight Tournament  EmptyWed Jun 30, 2010 4:19 pm

good idea OU
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

PostSubject: Re: Cung Le is too old for the Strikeforce Middleweight Tournament    Cung Le is too old for the Strikeforce Middleweight Tournament  EmptyWed Jun 30, 2010 5:38 pm

Leites is unpromotable.
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Cung Le is too old for the Strikeforce Middleweight Tournament    Cung Le is too old for the Strikeforce Middleweight Tournament  EmptyWed Jun 30, 2010 5:40 pm

Wolfgangsta wrote:
Leites is unpromotable.

His name is still known to many fans. His talent is good enough.
Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

PostSubject: Re: Cung Le is too old for the Strikeforce Middleweight Tournament    Cung Le is too old for the Strikeforce Middleweight Tournament  EmptyWed Jun 30, 2010 5:50 pm

OUSOONERSOU wrote:
Wolfgangsta wrote:
Leites is unpromotable.

Horrible idea imo. I don't want to see Thales laying on his back trying to invite Cung to the ground. It would end up like his fight with Silva. Sleep
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Cung Le is too old for the Strikeforce Middleweight Tournament    Cung Le is too old for the Strikeforce Middleweight Tournament  EmptyWed Jun 30, 2010 5:56 pm

OUSOONERSOU wrote:
Wolfgangsta wrote:
Leites is unpromotable.

Horrible idea imo. I don't want to see Thales laying on his back trying to invite Cung to the ground. It would end up like his fight with Silva. Sleep

Name 1 other fight that he did that.
Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

PostSubject: Re: Cung Le is too old for the Strikeforce Middleweight Tournament    Cung Le is too old for the Strikeforce Middleweight Tournament  EmptyWed Jun 30, 2010 5:57 pm

OUSOONERSOU wrote:
OUSOONERSOU wrote:
Wolfgangsta wrote:
Leites is unpromotable.

I don't need to do that. Thales can't strike with guys like Silva or Cung and he knows it. A few kicks and he is on his back doing the same thing.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Cung Le is too old for the Strikeforce Middleweight Tournament    Cung Le is too old for the Strikeforce Middleweight Tournament  EmptyWed Jun 30, 2010 6:30 pm

OUSOONERSOU wrote:
OUSOONERSOU wrote:
Wolfgangsta wrote:
Leites is unpromotable.

I don't need to do that. Thales can't strike with guys like Silva or Cung and he knows it. A few kicks and he is on his back doing the same thing.

Really? So he pulled guard every time he was out matched in the stand up? Besides that 1 fight when has he pulled guard over and over? He may not be exciting but you make it seem like he does nothing but pull guard.
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva, Jose Aldo

PostSubject: Re: Cung Le is too old for the Strikeforce Middleweight Tournament    Cung Le is too old for the Strikeforce Middleweight Tournament  EmptyWed Jun 30, 2010 6:33 pm

Leites subs Cung Very Happy
Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

PostSubject: Re: Cung Le is too old for the Strikeforce Middleweight Tournament    Cung Le is too old for the Strikeforce Middleweight Tournament  EmptyWed Jun 30, 2010 6:46 pm

OUSOONERSOU wrote:
OUSOONERSOU wrote:
OUSOONERSOU wrote:
Wolfgangsta wrote:
Leites is unpromotable.

Really? So he pulled guard every time he was out matched in the stand up? Besides that 1 fight when has he pulled guard over and over? He may not be exciting but you make it seem like he does nothing but pull guard.

Only against a world class striker I think he would do the same thing as he did with Silva. You are taking what I am saying and making it about his whole career which I am not. I just don't see him standing with a guy on Cung's level after he takes a few shots.
Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

PostSubject: Re: Cung Le is too old for the Strikeforce Middleweight Tournament    Cung Le is too old for the Strikeforce Middleweight Tournament  EmptyWed Jun 30, 2010 6:47 pm

tolivendiewithLA wrote:
Leites subs Cung Very Happy

If Cung went to the ground.

Cung would kick him in half Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cung Le is too old for the Strikeforce Middleweight Tournament    Cung Le is too old for the Strikeforce Middleweight Tournament  Empty

Back to top Go down

Cung Le is too old for the Strikeforce Middleweight Tournament
Page 1 of 1