Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Dana "I was all for GSP vs Spider, until I saw Spider at LHW"

Go down 
+9
Andrew the Raider King
captain organic
Bigs03
Farmer1906
SOKO
redvexx8
oggy420
LA
OU
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Andrew the Raider King
Red Belt
Red Belt
Andrew the Raider King

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael, Sexyama, Condit, Hendricks, Cowboy, Struve

Dana "I was all for GSP vs Spider, until I saw Spider at LHW" - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dana "I was all for GSP vs Spider, until I saw Spider at LHW"   Dana "I was all for GSP vs Spider, until I saw Spider at LHW" - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 26, 2010 3:20 pm

I wouldn't mind seeing GSP and Silva throwdown, but I would much rather they all went up a weight class. At this point they are so dominating that it is much more fun to watch undercards, than a championship fight, where we watch one guy get the shit kicked out of him for 5 rounds or just lay on his back and let the champion take side swipes at his legs out of frustration. Silva, I think could dominate the LHW division and I think he would even make the HW division much more interesting. I also think GSP could more than hold his own at MW and why wouldn't I? That guy is just fucking awesome!
Back to top Go down
oggy420
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt

PostSubject: Re: Dana "I was all for GSP vs Spider, until I saw Spider at LHW"   Dana "I was all for GSP vs Spider, until I saw Spider at LHW" - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 26, 2010 3:33 pm

OUSOONERSOU wrote:
I think of it this way. It's not the fighters responsibility to create competiton. GSP's job is to be the best WW in the world. Let the UFC bring in the best fighters they can at that weight class. Your job is to fight the best people they can find for you. Most "Super Fights" are done to help the promotion out, they need a big draw. UFC has plenty of talent, they don't need that.
I would much rather see GSP as the #1 WW in the world rather then the #5 MW, and IMO that is a generous ranking.

No one is forcing these guys to change weight classes. Both Anderson SIlva and GSP have openly talked about wanting to move up in weight to challenge themselves. Anderson has already shown that moving up is not a problem at all, and i think if he were to permanently move to 205 he immediately becomes the best 205 pound fighter in the world.

As for GSP, i really can't understand why you think him moving up a weightclass means he's gonna suck all of a sudden. This guy is technically one of the best figters in the world. You think he is gonna lose that skill by adding a few pounds? IMO GSP is clearly the biggest threat to Anderson's MW title. I mean he man-handled Alves who walks around at about 215-220. GSP would dominate guys like Sonnen, Wand, and pretty much everyone else at MW. There aren't that many great wrestlers at MW and look at what GSP does to amazing wrestlers like Fitch, Hughes, and Koscheck. No one at 185 would be able to stop him from taking them down. #5 MW in the world? He can and most likely will dominate that weight class if Anderson leaves.

And Super Fights are good for everyone including the fighters. Obviously it's much better for the winning fighter though. But when im thinking of what type of fighter has the best shot at beating Anderson Silva, GSP is almost the perfect prototype. A guy who can hold his own on the feet, and unquestionably the best wrestling and possibly ground-n-pound in the sport.

Last edited by oggy420 on Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: Dana "I was all for GSP vs Spider, until I saw Spider at LHW"   Dana "I was all for GSP vs Spider, until I saw Spider at LHW" - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 26, 2010 3:37 pm

lol we will never understand the other I guess, I seriously do not understand why in world people would ever say GSP is the biggest threat to Anderson Silva. Anyways I said my piece, I have had this talk with Bigs many times. I pray we never find out because I hope GSP never makes the move. I would rather never know then have to say I told you so.
Back to top Go down
Bigs03
Black Belt
Black Belt
Bigs03

Favorite Fighter(s) : Fedor and GSP

PostSubject: Re: Dana "I was all for GSP vs Spider, until I saw Spider at LHW"   Dana "I was all for GSP vs Spider, until I saw Spider at LHW" - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 26, 2010 4:49 pm

oggy420 wrote:
OUSOONERSOU wrote:
I think of it this way. It's not the fighters responsibility to create competiton. GSP's job is to be the best WW in the world. Let the UFC bring in the best fighters they can at that weight class. Your job is to fight the best people they can find for you. Most "Super Fights" are done to help the promotion out, they need a big draw. UFC has plenty of talent, they don't need that.
I would much rather see GSP as the #1 WW in the world rather then the #5 MW, and IMO that is a generous ranking.

No one is forcing these guys to change weight classes. Both Anderson SIlva and GSP have openly talked about wanting to move up in weight to challenge themselves. Anderson has already shown that moving up is not a problem at all, and i think if he were to permanently move to 205 he immediately becomes the best 205 pound fighter in the world.

As for GSP, i really can't understand why you think him moving up a weightclass means he's gonna suck all of a sudden. This guy is technically one of the best figters in the world. You think he is gonna lose that skill by adding a few pounds? IMO GSP is clearly the biggest threat to Anderson's MW title. I mean he man-handled Alves who walks around at about 215-220. GSP would dominate guys like Sonnen, Wand, and pretty much everyone else at MW. There aren't that many great wrestlers at MW and look at what GSP does to amazing wrestlers like Fitch, Hughes, and Koscheck. No one at 185 would be able to stop him from taking them down. #5 MW in the world? He can and most likely will dominate that weight class if Anderson leaves.

And Super Fights are good for everyone including the fighters. Obviously it's much better for the winning fighter though. But when im thinking of what type of fighter has the best shot at beating Anderson Silva, GSP is almost the perfect prototype. A guy who can hold his own on the feet, and unquestionably the best wrestling and possibly ground-n-pound in the sport.

This post about says it all. Good work Oggy.

I don't know how Sooner can justify his stance but he will argue it until the cows come home. GSP is top three p4p for a reason and many people have him higher than that. I can't for the life of me figure out why someone wouldn't want to see 2 p4p greats battle it out in the cage.

Also, how can GSP not be the biggest threat to Anderson at MW? He has less competition there than GSP even has at WW. GSP has already stated that he would take the time to put the weight on the right way. I just can't understand why someone wouldn't want to see this happen.

And Sooner, you say Anderson isn't the same guy at 205??? Based on what? He's looked equally as dominant there and made Forrest Griffin, a former champ, look like a bitch in the cage.

Again, if Anderson will fight Machida I'm all for him making a permanent move to LHW. Whether he does or not I think GSP should move to MW and prove that he's truly the greatest fighter in the world. I don't think there's anyone in that division that will beat him except possibly Anderson.
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva, Jose Aldo

PostSubject: Re: Dana "I was all for GSP vs Spider, until I saw Spider at LHW"   Dana "I was all for GSP vs Spider, until I saw Spider at LHW" - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 26, 2010 5:26 pm

How can GSP not be the biggest thread to Anderson at MW? becuase he's never fought there before.
Back to top Go down
Bigs03
Black Belt
Black Belt
Bigs03

PostSubject: Re: Dana "I was all for GSP vs Spider, until I saw Spider at LHW"   Dana "I was all for GSP vs Spider, until I saw Spider at LHW" - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 26, 2010 5:29 pm

tolivendiewithLA wrote:
How can GSP not be the biggest thread to Anderson at MW? becuase he's never fought there before.

Are you telling me that Chael Sonnen, Demian Maia, Nate Marquardt, or anyone else in the UFC's lackluster MW division would give Anderson a better challenge than one of the greatest p4p fighters on the planet? I don't think so.
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

PostSubject: Re: Dana "I was all for GSP vs Spider, until I saw Spider at LHW"   Dana "I was all for GSP vs Spider, until I saw Spider at LHW" - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 26, 2010 5:32 pm

You don't know that though, he's one of the best P4Pers based on what his done at WW, look how dominant BJ is at LW, but then goes up to WW and the size and strength of GSP is too much. Who knows if GSP would even beat Sonnen, Nate, Hendo ect, the point is you just don't know, so it's a bit much to say GSP is Anderson's biggest threat at MW when he's never fought there before.
Back to top Go down
oggy420
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt

PostSubject: Re: Dana "I was all for GSP vs Spider, until I saw Spider at LHW"   Dana "I was all for GSP vs Spider, until I saw Spider at LHW" - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 26, 2010 5:36 pm

GSP beat BJ because he is a better fighter than him, not because he moved up to WW. Bj would probably beat everyone at 170 outside of GSP.
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

PostSubject: Re: Dana "I was all for GSP vs Spider, until I saw Spider at LHW"   Dana "I was all for GSP vs Spider, until I saw Spider at LHW" - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 26, 2010 5:59 pm

That fight came down to size and strength
Back to top Go down
oggy420
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt

PostSubject: Re: Dana "I was all for GSP vs Spider, until I saw Spider at LHW"   Dana "I was all for GSP vs Spider, until I saw Spider at LHW" - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 26, 2010 6:05 pm

it came down to wrestling ability and cardio imo
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

PostSubject: Re: Dana "I was all for GSP vs Spider, until I saw Spider at LHW"   Dana "I was all for GSP vs Spider, until I saw Spider at LHW" - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 26, 2010 6:11 pm

GSP was able to wear on BJ because he was the bigger stronger fighter. Cardio only gets you so far when a bigger guy is hanging on you constantly. But opinions are opinions
Back to top Go down
Ludo
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
Ludo

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Prodigy, The Great, Viking Dahmer, The Phenom

PostSubject: Re: Dana "I was all for GSP vs Spider, until I saw Spider at LHW"   Dana "I was all for GSP vs Spider, until I saw Spider at LHW" - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 26, 2010 7:08 pm

Yeah the size difference killed BJ in the second fight. I might be a bit biased but no way is GSP the better fighter. If they were the same size BJ could have won the fight, but of course thats not what the case was so it's a moot point.

Also, how is the Middleweight division lackluster? Sonnen, Maia, Marquardt, Belfort, Wanderlei now, Belcher, Cote, and Miller too. I think it just seems that way because the Champ has been so dominant. That shouldn't take away from the overall roster of a division though. There's nothing lackluster about a group of guys that could in theory hand the belt off to one another for the next 3 years if Anderson vacated tomorrow or lost the belt to Maia.
Back to top Go down
oggy420
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt

PostSubject: Re: Dana "I was all for GSP vs Spider, until I saw Spider at LHW"   Dana "I was all for GSP vs Spider, until I saw Spider at LHW" - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 26, 2010 7:29 pm

dont start with the"Bj is a better fighter" crap. GSP dominated him in every aspect of the fight. What does wrestling ability have to do with size and strength? GSP took him down at will because his wrestling was far superior.
Back to top Go down
Ludo
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
Ludo

PostSubject: Re: Dana "I was all for GSP vs Spider, until I saw Spider at LHW"   Dana "I was all for GSP vs Spider, until I saw Spider at LHW" - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 26, 2010 7:34 pm

oggy420 wrote:
dont start with the"Bj is a better fighter" crap. GSP dominated him in every aspect of the fight. What does wrestling ability have to do with size and strength? GSP took him down at will because his wrestling was far superior.

I suppose you think Lesnar was the more accomplished fighter than Mir too?
Back to top Go down
oggy420
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt

PostSubject: Re: Dana "I was all for GSP vs Spider, until I saw Spider at LHW"   Dana "I was all for GSP vs Spider, until I saw Spider at LHW" - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 26, 2010 7:35 pm

not even close to being an accurate comparison and just shows your bias/homerism/ignorance.
Back to top Go down
Ludo
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
Ludo

PostSubject: Re: Dana "I was all for GSP vs Spider, until I saw Spider at LHW"   Dana "I was all for GSP vs Spider, until I saw Spider at LHW" - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 26, 2010 7:41 pm

Not really. GSP entering the cage around 190lbs against a 167lb BJ Penn who's relatively out of shape since he's put on neutral mass just to be near weight isn't the same thing as Lesnar entering the cage at 280-285 against a 250ish pound Frank Mir? It's the same exact situation. Bigger wrestler going up against a smaller opponent who's the better all around fighter won due mostly to being able to smother the opponent.
Back to top Go down
oggy420
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt

PostSubject: Re: Dana "I was all for GSP vs Spider, until I saw Spider at LHW"   Dana "I was all for GSP vs Spider, until I saw Spider at LHW" - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 26, 2010 8:08 pm

so if they were the same size Bj would have been able to stuff all of GSP's takedows right? Sure bud. And Brock's skillset = GSP's. Right...
Back to top Go down
Ludo
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
Ludo

PostSubject: Re: Dana "I was all for GSP vs Spider, until I saw Spider at LHW"   Dana "I was all for GSP vs Spider, until I saw Spider at LHW" - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 26, 2010 8:12 pm

If they were the same size I'd put money on it that BJ would have had to spend less time dealing with takedowns on the whole. No, Brock's skillset isn't the same as GSP's but the fact remains that as Athletes go Brock and GSP are the better atheletes where BJ and Mir are the better fighters. Same size on fight night and it's a totally different fight.

Furthermore, if I were being a homer I would have come up with something alot less viable as to why GSP won. Probably Grease-gate or something to that effect. Ya dig?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dana "I was all for GSP vs Spider, until I saw Spider at LHW"   Dana "I was all for GSP vs Spider, until I saw Spider at LHW" - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 26, 2010 8:43 pm

Listen people-

1. GSP beat Penn because he is better than him not because of size
2. Mir beat Big Nog because he is better not because Big Nog was sick
3. Jon Jones is not ready for Anderson Silva
4. GSP would be competitive against anyone at MW
5. No1 in the UFC can beat Brock Lesnar
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: Dana "I was all for GSP vs Spider, until I saw Spider at LHW"   Dana "I was all for GSP vs Spider, until I saw Spider at LHW" - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 26, 2010 8:48 pm

I'd rather see Anderson-Shogun if he takes the title that should already be his over Anderson-GSP. That's while I'll definitely be rooting for Shogun again. Anderson-Machida won't happen and it would be a snoozefest anyway
Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Cung Le, BJ Penn, Mayhem, Chael Sonnen, Anthony Pettis

PostSubject: Re: Dana "I was all for GSP vs Spider, until I saw Spider at LHW"   Dana "I was all for GSP vs Spider, until I saw Spider at LHW" - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 26, 2010 11:21 pm

A MW fight between GSP and Spider would be competitive. Anyone who thinks different is crazy. Gsp would be pushing 190lbs and Spider would be around 200lbs. I think GSP would be able to do alot with Silva. I think it should happen. If NY legalizes MMA look out MSG. This will be a headliner no doubt. I don't care what DW says.
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Dana "I was all for GSP vs Spider, until I saw Spider at LHW"   Dana "I was all for GSP vs Spider, until I saw Spider at LHW" - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 26, 2010 11:45 pm

just my 2 cents on bj-gsp II, but Penn was not anywhere near as prepared as gsp was. georgie was bigger, stronger and his cardio was 10x's better.

Penn completely changed his camp after that fight cause he knew he did not train anywhere near as hard as he should.

No chance of gsp not training hard enough if he were to face silva. If he moves up u can be sure he will be a legit 185er and not merely a guy who thinks his natural ability will carry him against a bigger stronger opponent.
Back to top Go down
Bigs03
Black Belt
Black Belt
Bigs03

PostSubject: Re: Dana "I was all for GSP vs Spider, until I saw Spider at LHW"   Dana "I was all for GSP vs Spider, until I saw Spider at LHW" - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 27, 2010 1:41 am

GSP is a better fighter than BJ, plain and simple. I don't know how anyone could actually have watched their last fight and came away thinking anything different. I know all the excuses that are sure to follow this post...BJ got dominated and if they fight again it may be even worse for him.

IF you must believe that it was only the size difference that allowed GSP to dominate BJ...AND you think Spider would have the same size advantage against GSP...the style of Anderson wouldn't allow him to use his weight and size to dominate GSP in a similar fashion. Anderson isn't going to push GSP against the cage, take him down, lay on him, and wear him out for 5 rounds. That's not how he fights. GSP, on the other hand, will take Anderson down and wear him out for 5 rounds, much like he did to BJ. The reason BJ was dominated is because of what GSP can do in the cage. Things that no one else in MMA can do as effectively. His top control is unmatched and his ability to inflict damage while inside someone's guard is something that other fighters cannot or will not do regularly these days. He has the ability and the willingness to do those things and he does them better than anyone else. Period.

I'm not saying that Anderson couldn't win...of course he could, he's a p4p great just like GSP. I'm just saying that I think GSP could and would win...and it is insane to me that anyone would not absolutely LOVE to see two of the very best in the world face each other in the world's ultimate proving ground for fighters...the octagon. (best Goldie impression)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dana "I was all for GSP vs Spider, until I saw Spider at LHW"   Dana "I was all for GSP vs Spider, until I saw Spider at LHW" - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 27, 2010 2:26 am

I agree with Dana . Silva is far too big for GSP to handle.
Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Cung Le, BJ Penn, Mayhem, Chael Sonnen, Anthony Pettis

PostSubject: Re: Dana "I was all for GSP vs Spider, until I saw Spider at LHW"   Dana "I was all for GSP vs Spider, until I saw Spider at LHW" - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 27, 2010 2:52 am

Bigs03 wrote:
GSP is a better fighter than BJ, plain and simple. I don't know how anyone could actually have watched their last fight and came away thinking anything different. I know all the excuses that are sure to follow this post...BJ got dominated and if they fight again it may be even worse for him.

IF you must believe that it was only the size difference that allowed GSP to dominate BJ...AND you think Spider would have the same size advantage against GSP...the style of Anderson wouldn't allow him to use his weight and size to dominate GSP in a similar fashion. Anderson isn't going to push GSP against the cage, take him down, lay on him, and wear him out for 5 rounds. That's not how he fights. GSP, on the other hand, will take Anderson down and wear him out for 5 rounds, much like he did to BJ. The reason BJ was dominated is because of what GSP can do in the cage. Things that no one else in MMA can do as effectively. His top control is unmatched and his ability to inflict damage while inside someone's guard is something that other fighters cannot or will not do regularly these days. He has the ability and the willingness to do those things and he does them better than anyone else. Period.

I'm not saying that Anderson couldn't win...of course he could, he's a p4p great just like GSP. I'm just saying that I think GSP could and would win...and it is insane to me that anyone would not absolutely LOVE to see two of the very best in the world face each other in the world's ultimate proving ground for fighters...the octagon. (best Goldie impression)

I actually think Anderson would have to catch GSP and KO him. If not GSP would win the fight. GSP is a true P4P king. Anderson still isn't all that imo. I know I will catch hell, but oh well. Neg me damnit! lol GSP would beat Anderson Silva!!!!! He is that good and would win the Tiitle and he would defend his Tiitle. The guy is an animal. Only a lucky punch can beat GSP if a guy is around the same weight.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dana "I was all for GSP vs Spider, until I saw Spider at LHW"   Dana "I was all for GSP vs Spider, until I saw Spider at LHW" - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Dana "I was all for GSP vs Spider, until I saw Spider at LHW"
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next