Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Dana "I was all for GSP vs Spider, until I saw Spider at LHW"

Go down 
+9
Andrew the Raider King
captain organic
Bigs03
Farmer1906
SOKO
redvexx8
oggy420
LA
OU
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

Dana "I was all for GSP vs Spider, until I saw Spider at LHW" Empty
PostSubject: Dana "I was all for GSP vs Spider, until I saw Spider at LHW"   Dana "I was all for GSP vs Spider, until I saw Spider at LHW" EmptyFri Mar 26, 2010 12:58 pm

http://www.mmamania.com/2010/3/26/1391617/dana-white-i-was-all-for-st-pierre
"Nobody loves a superfight more than I do, believe me. I was all about doing ( a St. Pierre vs. Silva) fight until I saw Anderson move up to 205. That guy looks like he belongs at 205. I just think you're going to see Anderson move up and not down."
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: Dana "I was all for GSP vs Spider, until I saw Spider at LHW"   Dana "I was all for GSP vs Spider, until I saw Spider at LHW" EmptyFri Mar 26, 2010 1:00 pm

Couldn't agree more. I have always hated the idea of GSP vs Spider. I have talking about this with Bigs for quite some time now.
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva, Jose Aldo

PostSubject: Re: Dana "I was all for GSP vs Spider, until I saw Spider at LHW"   Dana "I was all for GSP vs Spider, until I saw Spider at LHW" EmptyFri Mar 26, 2010 1:12 pm

Not sure you can hate the idea, it's still GSP vs. Anderson fucking Silva, that's a sick fight.

I do get what ur saying though, like Anderson would just be too much for GSP right?
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Dana "I was all for GSP vs Spider, until I saw Spider at LHW"   Dana "I was all for GSP vs Spider, until I saw Spider at LHW" EmptyFri Mar 26, 2010 1:17 pm

tolivendiewithLA wrote:
Not sure you can hate the idea, it's still GSP vs. Anderson fucking Silva, that's a sick fight.

I do get what ur saying though, like Anderson would just be too much for GSP right?

I think Anderson is just too big for GSP, plain and simple. He has more power then probably all the WW, better striker with better length then the WW. I would like to see GSP test himself against a different top MW because I don't think he would do too well. I don't think GSP would even be competitive vs Spider and it he would just be searching for the takedown over and over.
Back to top Go down
oggy420
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt

PostSubject: Re: Dana "I was all for GSP vs Spider, until I saw Spider at LHW"   Dana "I was all for GSP vs Spider, until I saw Spider at LHW" EmptyFri Mar 26, 2010 1:17 pm

call me crazy but i'd want to see Anderson vs GSP probably as my number 1 dream fight right now. There's really no other fight i want to see more.
Back to top Go down
redvexx8
Green Belt
Green Belt
redvexx8

PostSubject: Re: Dana "I was all for GSP vs Spider, until I saw Spider at LHW"   Dana "I was all for GSP vs Spider, until I saw Spider at LHW" EmptyFri Mar 26, 2010 1:18 pm

I knew it was a bad idea back before Anderson moved up when Dana was still pushing for it.

Yet some fans still think GSP would beat him. It wouldn't even be competitive.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Dana "I was all for GSP vs Spider, until I saw Spider at LHW"   Dana "I was all for GSP vs Spider, until I saw Spider at LHW" EmptyFri Mar 26, 2010 1:19 pm

oggy420 wrote:
call me crazy but i'd want to see Anderson vs GSP probably as my number 1 dream fight right now. There's really no other fight i want to see more.

wouldn't even crack my top 15...honestly I hate this matchup. IMO Rich Franklin beats GSP at 185. Call me crazy but I think people would be in for a rude awakening with GSP vs top MWs.
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva, Jose Aldo

PostSubject: Re: Dana "I was all for GSP vs Spider, until I saw Spider at LHW"   Dana "I was all for GSP vs Spider, until I saw Spider at LHW" EmptyFri Mar 26, 2010 1:21 pm

This thread should lbow up, 1 fight not even competitive and 1 Franklin beats GSP at 185.
Back to top Go down
oggy420
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt

PostSubject: Re: Dana "I was all for GSP vs Spider, until I saw Spider at LHW"   Dana "I was all for GSP vs Spider, until I saw Spider at LHW" EmptyFri Mar 26, 2010 1:21 pm

when GSP figts Hardy he'll probably be 200 pounds or over. I dont think fighting at MW would be that much of a problem for him, but hey i could be wrong.
Back to top Go down
oggy420
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt

PostSubject: Re: Dana "I was all for GSP vs Spider, until I saw Spider at LHW"   Dana "I was all for GSP vs Spider, until I saw Spider at LHW" EmptyFri Mar 26, 2010 1:22 pm

and i'd take GSP over rich franklin all day at any weight class
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Dana "I was all for GSP vs Spider, until I saw Spider at LHW"   Dana "I was all for GSP vs Spider, until I saw Spider at LHW" EmptyFri Mar 26, 2010 1:27 pm

I think people should appreciate the dominate Champions more and not demand that they leave their own WC, the WC that they built their careers in, to move up to a higher WC. I really hate the idea. IMO every weight class has up and comers, and just because a guy lost his title shot doesn't mean he doesn't deserve another one.
Back to top Go down
oggy420
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt

PostSubject: Re: Dana "I was all for GSP vs Spider, until I saw Spider at LHW"   Dana "I was all for GSP vs Spider, until I saw Spider at LHW" EmptyFri Mar 26, 2010 1:30 pm

at the same time i have alot of respect for guys that can jump weight classes and always challenge themselves with the best fights possible.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Dana "I was all for GSP vs Spider, until I saw Spider at LHW"   Dana "I was all for GSP vs Spider, until I saw Spider at LHW" EmptyFri Mar 26, 2010 1:33 pm

oggy420 wrote:
at the same time i have alot of respect for guys that can jump weight classes and always challenge themselves with the best fights possible.

IMO that kind of thing is for the Strikeforces of the world...not the UFC. In Strikeforce you don't have a ton of depth so you can have top guys like Nick, Robbie and Jake jump around to fight interesting matchups. IMO in the UFC there is no room for that. Always someone in every WC that deserves the fight. I'm all for Super Fights with organizations that need to create interesting matchups, but not the UFC, too much talent all around.
Back to top Go down
SOKO
Black Belt
Black Belt
SOKO

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Dragon, Kenflo, Hendo, Guida, Ace, Wand, Cain, Carwin, Foreman, Evander, Oscar

PostSubject: Re: Dana "I was all for GSP vs Spider, until I saw Spider at LHW"   Dana "I was all for GSP vs Spider, until I saw Spider at LHW" EmptyFri Mar 26, 2010 1:36 pm

lets see gsp against marquardt, sonnen, etc first. Spider would do to gsp what gsp did to penn.
fuck lets see gsp vs wand now thats a super fight for the fans plus gsp could win that fight.
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

Favorite Fighter(s) : Griffin, Franklin, Hendo, Sonnen, Wand, Lawler, Belfort, Pettis, Aldo, Mousasi

PostSubject: Re: Dana "I was all for GSP vs Spider, until I saw Spider at LHW"   Dana "I was all for GSP vs Spider, until I saw Spider at LHW" EmptyFri Mar 26, 2010 1:38 pm

oggy420 wrote:
when GSP figts Hardy he'll probably be 200 pounds or over. I dont think fighting at MW would be that much of a problem for him, but hey i could be wrong.

GSP said he's usually at 185-186 for fights. He's put on 5-6 pounds and said he'll probably be about 190-191 when he fights Hardy.
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

Favorite Fighter(s) : Griffin, Franklin, Hendo, Sonnen, Wand, Lawler, Belfort, Pettis, Aldo, Mousasi

PostSubject: Re: Dana "I was all for GSP vs Spider, until I saw Spider at LHW"   Dana "I was all for GSP vs Spider, until I saw Spider at LHW" EmptyFri Mar 26, 2010 1:39 pm

My #1 fight is Anderson vs Machida still so I agree with Dana on this one
Back to top Go down
Bigs03
Black Belt
Black Belt
Bigs03

Favorite Fighter(s) : Fedor and GSP

PostSubject: Re: Dana "I was all for GSP vs Spider, until I saw Spider at LHW"   Dana "I was all for GSP vs Spider, until I saw Spider at LHW" EmptyFri Mar 26, 2010 1:42 pm

I don't care what DW has to say about this fight...I want to see it. People know how great GSP is yet they still underestimate what he does and can do in the cage. He has the formula to beat Anderson. Sick takedowns, nasty top control, and devastating gNp. If anyone is going to beat Anderson at MW it's GSP.

I'd love to see Anderson stay at 205 also but if he's not gonna fight Machida then what's the point???

Hey, if Anderson wants to stay at 205, fine. Let him, GSP can still move to 185 and dominate the division with or without the Spider.
Back to top Go down
oggy420
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt

PostSubject: Re: Dana "I was all for GSP vs Spider, until I saw Spider at LHW"   Dana "I was all for GSP vs Spider, until I saw Spider at LHW" EmptyFri Mar 26, 2010 1:43 pm

I diasagree. Once you defend your belt so many times and in such a dominate fashion as Anderson has and now currently GSP is doing, it kind of gets boring. Seeing GSP completely dominate every single guy he fights isn't really exciting to watch. Eventually we want to see him really challenged. I like to see these truly dominate fighters test themselves. Anderson is not testing himself by destroying guys like Maia and Sonnen (which he easily will) , and the same goes for GSP. After he beats Hardy who's next? Fitch? Already got dominated by GSP. Kos? Already lost although that fight would probably be more compelling. But what if Daley wins? Another one dimensional fighter who doesn't have a shot in the world at beating GSP. I really have no interest in seeing GSP run through guys multiple times and/or facing guys who have a "Punchers Chance". What that really means is they are one dimensional fighters who have little to no wrestling/Grappling ability.

And before you put down Anderson Silva vs GSP as a good fight, think about the matchup. You have the single most dangerous and dominant striker in the history of MMA against the Greatest Wrestler to ever compete in MMA. You're telling me you'd rather see GSP beat guys who have no shot against him then to see a matchup with Anderson Fucking Silva????
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Dana "I was all for GSP vs Spider, until I saw Spider at LHW"   Dana "I was all for GSP vs Spider, until I saw Spider at LHW" EmptyFri Mar 26, 2010 1:45 pm

Bigs03 wrote:
I don't care what DW has to say about this fight...I want to see it. People know how great GSP is yet they still underestimate what he does and can do in the cage. He has the formula to beat Anderson. Sick takedowns, nasty top control, and devastating gNp. If anyone is going to beat Anderson at MW it's GSP.

I'd love to see Anderson stay at 205 also but if he's not gonna fight Machida then what's the point???

Hey, if Anderson wants to stay at 205, fine. Let him, GSP can still move to 185 and dominate the division with or without the Spider.

Man I disagree so much LOL, but I'm sure you know that by now. I don't think GSP has a chance in hell to dominate the 185 divison even without Spider.
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Dana "I was all for GSP vs Spider, until I saw Spider at LHW"   Dana "I was all for GSP vs Spider, until I saw Spider at LHW" EmptyFri Mar 26, 2010 1:46 pm

OUSOONERSOU wrote:
oggy420 wrote:

IMO that kind of thing is for the Strikeforces of the world...not the UFC. In Strikeforce you don't have a ton of depth so you can have top guys like Nick, Robbie and Jake jump around to fight interesting matchups. IMO in the UFC there is no room for that. Always someone in every WC that deserves the fight. I'm all for Super Fights with organizations that need to create interesting matchups, but not the UFC, too much talent all around.

The UFC was giving title shots to guys who silva literally toyed with in the cage, guys who are out of the org 2 fights later. Then they line up a couple guys who silva already destroyed. If he, or Penn, want the challenge that a higher weight class offers, im all for it.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Dana "I was all for GSP vs Spider, until I saw Spider at LHW"   Dana "I was all for GSP vs Spider, until I saw Spider at LHW" EmptyFri Mar 26, 2010 1:47 pm

oggy420 wrote:
I diasagree. Once you defend your belt so many times and in such a dominate fashion as Anderson has and now currently GSP is doing, it kind of gets boring. Seeing GSP completely dominate every single guy he fights isn't really exciting to watch. Eventually we want to see him really challenged. I like to see these truly dominate fighters test themselves. Anderson is not testing himself by destroying guys like Maia and Sonnen (which he easily will) , and the same goes for GSP. After he beats Hardy who's next? Fitch? Already got dominated by GSP. Kos? Already lost although that fight would probably be more compelling. But what if Daley wins? Another one dimensional fighter who doesn't have a shot in the world at beating GSP. I really have no interest in seeing GSP run through guys multiple times and/or facing guys who have a "Punchers Chance". What that really means is they are one dimensional fighters who have little to no wrestling/Grappling ability.

And before you put down Anderson Silva vs GSP as a good fight, think about the matchup. You have the single most dangerous and dominant striker in the history of MMA against the Greatest Wrestler to ever compete in MMA. You're telling me you'd rather see GSP beat guys who have no shot against him then to see a matchup with Anderson Fucking Silva????

We are just polar opposites on this subject lol, I have talked about this with Bigs until I'm blue in the face. Just difference in opinions thats all.
Back to top Go down
oggy420
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt

PostSubject: Re: Dana "I was all for GSP vs Spider, until I saw Spider at LHW"   Dana "I was all for GSP vs Spider, until I saw Spider at LHW" EmptyFri Mar 26, 2010 1:52 pm

i just dont understand the logic though. You'd honestly want to see dominant champions beat the same guys over and over rather than test themselves against other great Champions? I mean even though BJ got destroyed by GSP, i still give him alot of credit and dont think any less of him because he challenged himself. I mean these guys are Martial Artists. They want to challenge themselves against the best guys and if that means jumping weight classes no one should try to stop them.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Dana "I was all for GSP vs Spider, until I saw Spider at LHW"   Dana "I was all for GSP vs Spider, until I saw Spider at LHW" EmptyFri Mar 26, 2010 2:09 pm

oggy420 wrote:
i just dont understand the logic though. You'd honestly want to see dominant champions beat the same guys over and over rather than test themselves against other great Champions? I mean even though BJ got destroyed by GSP, i still give him alot of credit and dont think any less of him because he challenged himself. I mean these guys are Martial Artists. They want to challenge themselves against the best guys and if that means jumping weight classes no one should try to stop them.

I would much rather see that then see them get destroyed by bigger fights just because fans are bored with you winning so much. Fighters are always moving up the ranks, fighters that lose are always improving. I think the 2nd time around guys are always more prepared for what they need to do. IMO they can very easily tarnish their legacy just because peple get bored with them winning so much. If you are a dominate WW fighter there is nothing wrong with that, go ahead and be that. Don't try to be the MW Champ when you are not cut for that divison. GSP wouldn't be the same guy at 185, BJ isn't the same guy at WW, even Spider isn't the same guy at 205. I just don't get why people can't except a MW being a MW just because you are bored as a fan.
Back to top Go down
SOKO
Black Belt
Black Belt
SOKO

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Dragon, Kenflo, Hendo, Guida, Ace, Wand, Cain, Carwin, Foreman, Evander, Oscar

PostSubject: Re: Dana "I was all for GSP vs Spider, until I saw Spider at LHW"   Dana "I was all for GSP vs Spider, until I saw Spider at LHW" EmptyFri Mar 26, 2010 2:26 pm

gsp vs wand,sonnen,marquardt etc. spider will own gsp
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Dana "I was all for GSP vs Spider, until I saw Spider at LHW"   Dana "I was all for GSP vs Spider, until I saw Spider at LHW" EmptyFri Mar 26, 2010 2:39 pm

I think of it this way. It's not the fighters responsibility to create competiton. GSP's job is to be the best WW in the world. Let the UFC bring in the best fighters they can at that weight class. Your job is to fight the best people they can find for you. Most "Super Fights" are done to help the promotion out, they need a big draw. UFC has plenty of talent, they don't need that.
I would much rather see GSP as the #1 WW in the world rather then the #5 MW, and IMO that is a generous ranking.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dana "I was all for GSP vs Spider, until I saw Spider at LHW"   Dana "I was all for GSP vs Spider, until I saw Spider at LHW" Empty

Back to top Go down

Dana "I was all for GSP vs Spider, until I saw Spider at LHW"
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next