Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Kennedy and Woodley are legit talents.....

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

Kennedy and Woodley are legit talents..... Empty
PostSubject: Kennedy and Woodley are legit talents.....   Kennedy and Woodley are legit talents..... EmptySat Sep 26, 2009 2:01 pm

I'd give Woodley the edge if we were to compare the two, he has lightning quick striking with his hands feet and knees. He also looks to be a very good submission guy, always looking, and often locking in holds last night. It looked like Light was on the verge of tapping on 3 different occasions. this was Woodley's 4th submission(one was by strikes) in 4 fights. And he's a 2 time all american wrestler. 27 yrs old. As far as potential I put him at the top of the prospect list.

Kennedy also looked very good, like Woodley Kennedy was facing a game opponent with decent skill(Light looked alot better then his 6-8 record but....). Guys ground and pound is serious, like vs Thompson he gives the opponent no time to breath, and thus far has avoided anything close to a submission against guys who have decent sub skills, though he looks comfortable on his feet, he def prefers the ground game. Sherdog hints that he could be next in line for a title fight vs the Shields Mayhem winner, seems a bit premature imo, but I can def see a title shot down the line.

Cormier was not impressive imo. Too short, not in great shape. It was his debut, he was poised, but I didn't see a ton of offense prowess. He controlled a very young guy also making his MMA debut, but I can't say it was a devastating affair at all.

Longacre looked pretty good on the feet, his strikes seemed crisp, but he could not hurt or even mark up a guy who at times seemed a bit feeble. He also wanted no part of the ground game. He's a semi interesting prospect at best.
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

Kennedy and Woodley are legit talents..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kennedy and Woodley are legit talents.....   Kennedy and Woodley are legit talents..... EmptySat Sep 26, 2009 5:53 pm

I watched that card as well.

Kennedy is brutal though. Cummings is no slouch and still has a future in Strikeforce. He was not meant to be Kennedy food in that fashion but i think Kennedy is ready to move on to the bigger cards and face better competition. I won't say winner of Shields-Mayhem. I think Jacare is next in line for Shields or Mayhem. Honestly, i think his next fight should be against Scott Smith. It would be a significant step up in competition and it will give him a chance to avenge a loss that i think he could and should avenge. They should do that fight in December if they don't end up doing Smith-Shamrock.

I was impressed by Woodley. He looks like he has all the tools. The wrestling, slams, submission, cardio, etc is all there. His standup looked good as well. Zach Light is not the stiffest competition, but when you rag doll a wrestler of Light's credentials on the ground. You are doing something special. Nice prospect and should factor into the main WW scene in Strikeforce. God knows SF needs the depth in the weight class.

I thought Cormier looked crappy. It is just one fight though. He does need to do something about his weight and cardio. I wonder if it was that bad in the olympics. He has a good base and hopefully he improves, but judging by that first fight. He'll never get off Challengers and unaired prelims in SF.

Longacre looked good. His striking was very crisp, and his ability to make adjustments on the ground was pretty impressive even though it looked like he was uncomforable down there he knew how to defend himself.

Lastly...Sefo looked like shit. I feel bad for Kevin Jordan who quit his full time job to train full time in MMA again. He dominated that first round and he blows out his knee. Tough break for Jordan.
Back to top Go down

Kennedy and Woodley are legit talents.....
Page 1 of 1