Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Wow, since when is Frank Mir legit?

Go down 
+13
captain organic
Andrew the Raider King
timthebim
NoRegret
ohiovol62
boomer sooner
redvexx8
LA
thedarkwingduck2k50
KingsOwn19
Farmer1906
bobbitt15
Wolfgangsta
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

Wow, since when is Frank Mir legit? Empty
PostSubject: Wow, since when is Frank Mir legit?   Wow, since when is Frank Mir legit? EmptySun Dec 13, 2009 2:19 am

Eating some serious crow on Mir here. I think the muscle he is adding coupled with his new emphasis on striking and wrestling means he finally deserves his reputation and rankings. We still haven't seen his cardio, and his chin will always remain a question, but the Frank Mir we saw tonight suddenly finds himself on a path that likely leads directly to a rematch with a Lesnar, a man who has likely permanently lost some of his one real weapon, his freakish size. A man who has been unable to improve or even maintain his game while he recovers from an illness that has robbed him of 50 pounds.

Mir actually has a real chance to claim the rubber match.

This exposes Kongo, someone who has been criticized for having weak boxing and vulnerabilities. His movement is robotic and slow at times. He stands too erect with his hands wide in the pocket. I don't think he is a K1 level striker. But at HW he is one of the best in the UFC.

The Nog fight was still clearly a fluke based on illness, and his first Lesnar bout was an incredible stroke of luck, but Mir has up'd his game a lot since then, making a second fight a lot more interesting. That should be next should Nog win. But I'd finally rank Mir in the top ten.
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: Wow, since when is Frank Mir legit?   Wow, since when is Frank Mir legit? EmptySun Dec 13, 2009 2:21 am

I really want to see Mir-JDS as long as he beats Yvel
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

Favorite Fighter(s) : Griffin, Franklin, Hendo, Sonnen, Wand, Lawler, Belfort, Pettis, Aldo, Mousasi

PostSubject: Re: Wow, since when is Frank Mir legit?   Wow, since when is Frank Mir legit? EmptySun Dec 13, 2009 2:22 am

I wondered what your reaction tot his would be. Mir is looking good and I cannot believe he came in a 264.5. He is getting huge and I hope he keeps adding mass and working his stand up. We all know his ground game is legit.

But I am worried for Nog the 2nd time around.
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

PostSubject: Re: Wow, since when is Frank Mir legit?   Wow, since when is Frank Mir legit? EmptySun Dec 13, 2009 2:23 am

I just may want to see Mir fight Lesnar again. 264 solid muscle along with being way more skilled than Lesnar. I'll take Frank the tank.
Back to top Go down
thedarkwingduck2k50
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostSubject: Re: Wow, since when is Frank Mir legit?   Wow, since when is Frank Mir legit? EmptySun Dec 13, 2009 2:27 am

bobbitt15 wrote:
I really want to see Mir-JDS as long as he beats Yvel

that's a very good matchup, with mir improved strenghtening he is definitely up there with all the heavyweight power hitters, like brock, carwin and etc...I actually think he would have an advantage over them cause of his skills, while those oversized wrestlers just use their power.
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva, Jose Aldo

PostSubject: Re: Wow, since when is Frank Mir legit?   Wow, since when is Frank Mir legit? EmptySun Dec 13, 2009 2:32 am

A 100% healthy Brock does the same thing as their last fight, but Mir looks better, at this point I'd rather see him against Nog or Cain, or Carwin even before Jr, let Dos get a couple more fights in.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Wow, since when is Frank Mir legit?   Wow, since when is Frank Mir legit? EmptySun Dec 13, 2009 2:37 am

I want to see Mir vs Big Nog II just to silence the staph infection excuses.
Back to top Go down
redvexx8
Green Belt
Green Belt
redvexx8

PostSubject: Re: Wow, since when is Frank Mir legit?   Wow, since when is Frank Mir legit? EmptySun Dec 13, 2009 2:43 am

Yea I was surprised when Mir came in at 265 with no fat then I was surprised again when he dropped Kongo like that.
Back to top Go down
boomer sooner
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, since way back

PostSubject: Re: Wow, since when is Frank Mir legit?   Wow, since when is Frank Mir legit? EmptySun Dec 13, 2009 9:36 am

Ali_1748 wrote:
I want to see Mir vs Big Nog II just to silence the staph infection excuses.

I agree. That fight was too one-sided to warrent a rematch. I know staph is bad, but if it was as bad as they say then why did he agree to fight. I've seen a few guys fight with staph and it didn't lead to that kind of beatdown. I just think Mir is a terrible match-up for Nog.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Wow, since when is Frank Mir legit?   Wow, since when is Frank Mir legit? EmptySun Dec 13, 2009 9:53 am

Finally Wolf admits he's wrong at something. I said Mir is easily the number 2 heavyweight in the UFC and today he looked it. He'll murder Nog again if they fight. Brock will destroy him again though. Shows how good Brock really is.
Back to top Go down
ohiovol62
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
ohiovol62

Favorite Fighter(s) : Sakuraba, Fedor, GSP, and Big Nog

PostSubject: Re: Wow, since when is Frank Mir legit?   Wow, since when is Frank Mir legit? EmptySun Dec 13, 2009 10:53 am

First off, Kongo fuckin sucks. Everyone knows that. Dana gave him this fight to get him back in it. Second of all Mir is on somthing. He goes from a medium sized HW to a monster in four months? He's taking a page out of Brock's book. Still the same old Mir that got shit canned by Vera. Beating up a guy that a washed up Heath Herring beat only goes so far. JMO
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Wow, since when is Frank Mir legit?   Wow, since when is Frank Mir legit? EmptySun Dec 13, 2009 10:55 am

Mir isn't on anything. He gained about 23 pounds in 5 months which is almost a pound a week. That is very easy to put on.
Back to top Go down
NoRegret
Red Belt
Red Belt
NoRegret

Favorite Fighter(s) : Anyone that comes to FIGHT!

PostSubject: Re: Wow, since when is Frank Mir legit?   Wow, since when is Frank Mir legit? EmptySun Dec 13, 2009 11:10 am

yeah, back when i was working out hardcore, I was able to gain an average of 3-5 lbs every couple of weeks, so its not a rough stretch in believing that a great athlete like Mir could put that kinda muscle on with some hard work and dedication.

I KNEW once I heard Mir had put on the extra weight and had gotten a new boxing coach that he was going to come into this fight a much better fighter than in previous fights.
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, JOSH KOSCHECK, SPIDER

PostSubject: Re: Wow, since when is Frank Mir legit?   Wow, since when is Frank Mir legit? EmptySun Dec 13, 2009 12:22 pm

Mir looked awesome and I have thought he was legit since he blasted Nog out but he better hope Brock dont come back 100 percent cause I think he does the same thing to him.
Back to top Go down
Andrew the Raider King
Red Belt
Red Belt
Andrew the Raider King

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael, Sexyama, Condit, Hendricks, Cowboy, Struve

PostSubject: Re: Wow, since when is Frank Mir legit?   Wow, since when is Frank Mir legit? EmptySun Dec 13, 2009 12:30 pm

ohiovol62 wrote:
First off, Kongo fuckin sucks. Everyone knows that. Dana gave him this fight to get him back in it. Second of all Mir is on somthing. He goes from a medium sized HW to a monster in four months? He's taking a page out of Brock's book. Still the same old Mir that got shit canned by Vera. Beating up a guy that a washed up Heath Herring beat only goes so far. JMO

You are on something, Dude. Mir went out and got a real mass trainer, as far as Vera? You mean the guy that got beat up by a 47 year old man who has lost a step or two? That Vera? I agree though on the Kongo bit...He does suck. He needs to get his fucking ass out of France and train with some real people hardcore.
Back to top Go down
ohiovol62
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
ohiovol62

Favorite Fighter(s) : Sakuraba, Fedor, GSP, and Big Nog

PostSubject: Re: Wow, since when is Frank Mir legit?   Wow, since when is Frank Mir legit? EmptySun Dec 13, 2009 1:29 pm

Andrew the Raider King wrote:
ohiovol62 wrote:

You are on something, Dude. Mir went out and got a real mass trainer, as far as Vera? You mean the guy that got beat up by a 47 year old man who has lost a step or two? That Vera? I agree though on the Kongo bit...He does suck. He needs to get his fucking ass out of France and train with some real people hardcore.

Nah I'm just not buying it. Beating Kongo just don't do anything for me, sorry.
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Wow, since when is Frank Mir legit?   Wow, since when is Frank Mir legit? EmptySun Dec 13, 2009 1:43 pm

freakzilla316ftw wrote:
Mir isn't on anything. He gained about 23 pounds in 5 months which is almost a pound a week. That is very easy to put on.

Must be eating alot of horse meat.
Back to top Go down
oggy420
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt

PostSubject: Re: Wow, since when is Frank Mir legit?   Wow, since when is Frank Mir legit? EmptySun Dec 13, 2009 1:52 pm

i dont know about you guys but im not cool with Carwin waiting on the side line for the Brock fight. He needs to get in there and face a real contender. Honestly considering how long Brock will probably be out, they need to have Mir vs Carwin and the winner faces the winner of Nog vs Cain for what will most likely be an interim title.
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, JOSH KOSCHECK, SPIDER

PostSubject: Re: Wow, since when is Frank Mir legit?   Wow, since when is Frank Mir legit? EmptySun Dec 13, 2009 3:04 pm

Sounds good to me oggy.
Back to top Go down
LTFG
Brown Belt
Brown Belt
LTFG

Favorite Fighter(s) : Wolfy

PostSubject: Re: Wow, since when is Frank Mir legit?   Wow, since when is Frank Mir legit? EmptySun Dec 13, 2009 7:29 pm

You continue to find ways to amaze me, Wolf... You're more of a man than I give you credit for!
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

PostSubject: Re: Wow, since when is Frank Mir legit?   Wow, since when is Frank Mir legit? EmptySun Dec 13, 2009 9:20 pm

Thanks LTFG. Ohio is a good voice of reason.

And the reason you seldom see me say I was wrong is because those situations are seldom in themselves. What up.
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
EliteAcidBurn
Green Belt
Green Belt
EliteAcidBurn

Favorite Fighter(s) : GSP

PostSubject: Re: Wow, since when is Frank Mir legit?   Wow, since when is Frank Mir legit? EmptyMon Dec 14, 2009 11:12 am

gotta give Mir his props, dude looked good last night....hopefully he keeps it up
Back to top Go down
boomer sooner
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, since way back

PostSubject: Re: Wow, since when is Frank Mir legit?   Wow, since when is Frank Mir legit? EmptyMon Dec 14, 2009 11:30 am

Shane Carwin needs to get off the fence and fight Frank Mir. I know he wants his title shot, but he's done nothing to earn it so he needs to cut the Kenny Florian act and get back to fighting.
Back to top Go down
Bigs03
Black Belt
Black Belt
Bigs03

Favorite Fighter(s) : Fedor and GSP

PostSubject: Re: Wow, since when is Frank Mir legit?   Wow, since when is Frank Mir legit? EmptyMon Dec 14, 2009 12:21 pm

ohiovol62 wrote:

Give me a fucking break. Look at his frame, he can obviously handle all that weight easily and he's been working his ass off since he lost to Brock. Brock has given Frank the motivation he needs and I think he's going to beat Brock in their 3 match.

Frank's a beast, he talked a lot of shit to Kongo but he backed it up big time. I hope he gets Nog again so he can once again silence Wolf.

War Frank Mir getting the HW belt in 2010.
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

PostSubject: Re: Wow, since when is Frank Mir legit?   Wow, since when is Frank Mir legit? EmptyWed Dec 14, 2011 4:24 pm

Two times Mir has made Wolf eat crow
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wow, since when is Frank Mir legit?   Wow, since when is Frank Mir legit? Empty

Back to top Go down

Wow, since when is Frank Mir legit?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next