Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Did OU have the toughest non-conference schedule?

Go down 
+7
LTFG
Birdofthad
UBeeg9cats
OU
josh200612
NoRegret
Wolfgangsta
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
AuthorMessage
Ziggy116
Black Belt
Black Belt
Ziggy116

Favorite Fighter(s) : Rampage, Fedor, Gangster brothers, Aldo

Did OU have the toughest non-conference schedule? - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Did OU have the toughest non-conference schedule?   Did OU have the toughest non-conference schedule? - Page 7 EmptyFri Oct 29, 2010 1:08 am

A 2-2 team has no business in the top 25. I'm out for the night but just out of curiosity, if the season ended today would you have Boise in the BCS title game?
Back to top Go down
https://apps.facebook.com/groupsplus/group.php?id=2139
UBeeg9cats
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostSubject: Re: Did OU have the toughest non-conference schedule?   Did OU have the toughest non-conference schedule? - Page 7 EmptyFri Oct 29, 2010 8:26 am

I would have Auburn and Oregon in the title game just like the BCS. Mizzou has done more than Oregon but I think Oregon is superior. Even though I am rooting for Boise to make it, at least 3 of the teams still undefeated from AQ conferences need to lose for Boise to earn their way in. If Oregon loses to OSU at the end of the year, I will say Boise will make it in.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Did OU have the toughest non-conference schedule?   Did OU have the toughest non-conference schedule? - Page 7 EmptyFri Oct 29, 2010 9:15 am

UBeeg9cats wrote:
soonermark890 wrote:
UBeeg9cats wrote:
And who is trying to rig it for Boise? The people that will lose millions of dollars having a team with a smaller fan base in a big game? I just don't see it. The ACC might be the 2nd weakest AQ conference but it is still an accomplishment to be undefeated in conference play. Va Tech is the only one with that accomplishment. I hope my Canes beat the Hokies and then take NC State for the championship. I still think the it will be FSU and Va Tech in the championship.
Did you watch that game? Great game. Ponder must be just sick right now. I feel bad for the guy.

It was a great game. I LOVED the call by the NC State coach to go for it on 4th down. You will not have a better chance to take the lead than needing a foot in 1 play. Ponder responded beautifully but just had a freak accident ruin him. FSU still seems like a superior team to me. With FSU's easier schedule and NC State's difficult one, I think it won't matter. That is not the way I want to see a senior lose his chance at a conference championship.
Hey on that fumble play in the 3rd quarter did you think his arm was going forward?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Did OU have the toughest non-conference schedule?   Did OU have the toughest non-conference schedule? - Page 7 EmptyFri Oct 29, 2010 9:16 am

UBeeg9cats wrote:
I would have Auburn and Oregon in the title game just like the BCS. Mizzou has done more than Oregon but I think Oregon is superior. Even though I am rooting for Boise to make it, at least 3 of the teams still undefeated from AQ conferences need to lose for Boise to earn their way in. If Oregon loses to OSU at the end of the year, I will say Boise will make it in.
ESPN was saying that a one loss OU team and a one loss Alabama team would jump Boise.
Back to top Go down
Ziggy116
Black Belt
Black Belt
Ziggy116

PostSubject: Re: Did OU have the toughest non-conference schedule?   Did OU have the toughest non-conference schedule? - Page 7 EmptyFri Oct 29, 2010 9:50 am

Until they have a "real schedule" week in and week out, they will never make it to a title game unlesseveryone else has 1 loss, maybe 2....and that's how it should be.
Back to top Go down
UBeeg9cats
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostSubject: Re: Did OU have the toughest non-conference schedule?   Did OU have the toughest non-conference schedule? - Page 7 EmptyFri Oct 29, 2010 9:55 am

soonermark890 wrote:
UBeeg9cats wrote:
soonermark890 wrote:
UBeeg9cats wrote:
And who is trying to rig it for Boise? The people that will lose millions of dollars having a team with a smaller fan base in a big game? I just don't see it. The ACC might be the 2nd weakest AQ conference but it is still an accomplishment to be undefeated in conference play. Va Tech is the only one with that accomplishment. I hope my Canes beat the Hokies and then take NC State for the championship. I still think the it will be FSU and Va Tech in the championship.
Did you watch that game? Great game. Ponder must be just sick right now. I feel bad for the guy.

It was a great game. I LOVED the call by the NC State coach to go for it on 4th down. You will not have a better chance to take the lead than needing a foot in 1 play. Ponder responded beautifully but just had a freak accident ruin him. FSU still seems like a superior team to me. With FSU's easier schedule and NC State's difficult one, I think it won't matter. That is not the way I want to see a senior lose his chance at a conference championship.
Hey on that fumble play in the 3rd quarter did you think his arm was going forward?

I thought that was an easy incomplete pass call. I really don't understand how you can get a call like that wrong on replay.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Did OU have the toughest non-conference schedule?   Did OU have the toughest non-conference schedule? - Page 7 EmptyFri Oct 29, 2010 10:23 am

UBeeg9cats wrote:
soonermark890 wrote:
UBeeg9cats wrote:
soonermark890 wrote:
UBeeg9cats wrote:

I thought that was an easy incomplete pass call. I really don't understand how you can get a call like that wrong on replay.
Thats what I thought.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Did OU have the toughest non-conference schedule?   Did OU have the toughest non-conference schedule? - Page 7 EmptyFri Oct 29, 2010 10:24 am

Ziggy116 wrote:
Until they have a "real schedule" week in and week out, they will never make it to a title game unlesseveryone else has 1 loss, maybe 2....and that's how it should be.
They should join the big 12 and become the new colorado. Smile
Back to top Go down
Ziggy116
Black Belt
Black Belt
Ziggy116

PostSubject: Re: Did OU have the toughest non-conference schedule?   Did OU have the toughest non-conference schedule? - Page 7 EmptyFri Oct 29, 2010 10:29 am

I just think it's hard to take a team seriously as far as being the best in the country when there is a 2 month gap between their "big games", the latter being fucking Nevada.
Back to top Go down
UBeeg9cats
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostSubject: Re: Did OU have the toughest non-conference schedule?   Did OU have the toughest non-conference schedule? - Page 7 EmptyFri Oct 29, 2010 10:31 am

Ziggy116 wrote:

I might be reading too much into your comments but I get the feeling that you wouldn't want anyone from a non-AQ conference in the championship. In a completely hypothetical scenario, would Boise qualify for the championship game if they had a conference of Hawaii, Fresno State, Nevada, TCU, Utah, Air Force, BYU, Houston, and SMU. Let's add in a top tier ACC school and middle tier Pac-10 team as the 2 bigger non-conf games. The last non-conference game could be NIU or Troy. To me, this conference could easily be considered the 3rd best behind the SEC and Big 12. I would think they would earn it that way.

Back to the real world, I think Boise has 5 legit games this year: Va Tech, OSU, Hawaii, Fresno State, and Nevada. The powerhouse AQ teams have around 8 in a given year. That is a fairly huge gap but is it big enough where you deem Boise automatically out of the championship? What does that say about the championship if some teams are excluded from the beginning?
Back to top Go down
Ziggy116
Black Belt
Black Belt
Ziggy116

PostSubject: Re: Did OU have the toughest non-conference schedule?   Did OU have the toughest non-conference schedule? - Page 7 EmptyFri Oct 29, 2010 10:45 am

IF that was their schedule I would have no issue with it, but it's not. I would certainly not consider it "easily" the 3rd best conference. Not one team in that scenario would go undefeated like they do now. Plus I would considering that conference to take away the AQ from the Big East.

I'm an Iowa fan so let's use the Big Ten. Playing the bottom of the Big Ten, this year Minnesota, Purdue, Penn St., Indiana is a much tougher task than playing the top 4 outside of Boise in their conference. I feel confident saying that Northwestern is better than any team in the conference not named Boise St.

Besides that, if they want recognition theyu should not be demanding huge money for home & home's with big time programs. Plus it should say a lot that if they run the table they are in the title talks, if they lose one game their bowl game is at home before christmas.
Back to top Go down
UBeeg9cats
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostSubject: Re: Did OU have the toughest non-conference schedule?   Did OU have the toughest non-conference schedule? - Page 7 EmptyFri Oct 29, 2010 11:12 am

It should say a lot about the system as well. I don't think they ask for too much money and unless you can provide a link where Boise is demanding outrageous amounts vs other teams demands, I won't change my mind. Don't you understand that the bottom of the WAC easy games for Boise should be compared to the FCS and Sun Belt cupcakes that most teams schedule OOC. Trying to compare MSU's 4th or 5th weakest game against Boise's weakest game is just as bad as trying to compare the WAC's strength vs the Big Ten's. Iowa and Ohio State actually schedule difficult OOC games so they will have much better SOS but MSU has Western Michigan, Florida Atlantic, and Northern Colorado.
Back to top Go down
Ziggy116
Black Belt
Black Belt
Ziggy116

PostSubject: Re: Did OU have the toughest non-conference schedule?   Did OU have the toughest non-conference schedule? - Page 7 EmptyFri Oct 29, 2010 12:09 pm

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/09/09/assistant-nebraska-ad-boise-wanted-1-million-to-play-us/

There's your link.

It does say a lot about the rankings, pre-season rankings, the BCS and the entire system. Boise St may be the best team in the country, but in my personal opinion, they do not deserve a title shot in the current format until they can prove an ability to hang with even top 60 teams wweek in and week out.

And 2 or 3 weak out of conference games is way different than 8-9 weak conference games. I thought going into this season that the Big Ten would emerge as the best conference in football. Although I don't think there is a clear cut number 1 right now, I think there has been a level of disappointment there.
Back to top Go down
UBeeg9cats
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostSubject: Re: Did OU have the toughest non-conference schedule?   Did OU have the toughest non-conference schedule? - Page 7 EmptyFri Oct 29, 2010 12:36 pm

And off your link the link to the original article states Idaho gets paid 800k to play. You don't think Boise is worth 1.25 times what Idaho is worth? Nebraska's revenue from that game would likely double as well as getting a boost instead of a downturn in SOS. If they are paying Idaho 800K, 1 mil is a bargain for Boise.

http://omaha.com/article/20100908/SPORTS/709089803/0#
Back to top Go down
Ziggy116
Black Belt
Black Belt
Ziggy116

PostSubject: Re: Did OU have the toughest non-conference schedule?   Did OU have the toughest non-conference schedule? - Page 7 EmptyFri Oct 29, 2010 2:31 pm

That wasn't a home and home. There is a huge difference.
Back to top Go down
Ziggy116
Black Belt
Black Belt
Ziggy116

PostSubject: Re: Did OU have the toughest non-conference schedule?   Did OU have the toughest non-conference schedule? - Page 7 EmptyFri Oct 29, 2010 2:56 pm

And I may be wrong but if what you posted is the whole story why would all sport news outlets run with a stor like that.
Back to top Go down
UBeeg9cats
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostSubject: Re: Did OU have the toughest non-conference schedule?   Did OU have the toughest non-conference schedule? - Page 7 EmptyFri Oct 29, 2010 3:11 pm

ESPN didn't run it so I don't think all outlets ran it. Besides, I went to the source to show you that it is not an awful offer. We do not get details if this 1 mil was for a home and home or just a 1 time trip for Boise. We don't know if this was Boise's first offer or if they were standing firm on it. What if Boise was willing to do it for 800k but wanted to see if they could get more? Negotiation is a give and take procedure.
Back to top Go down
Ziggy116
Black Belt
Black Belt
Ziggy116

PostSubject: Re: Did OU have the toughest non-conference schedule?   Did OU have the toughest non-conference schedule? - Page 7 EmptyFri Oct 29, 2010 4:44 pm

I really do understand all of your points, and I know espn reported on it because Mark May and Lou Holtz debated it, that was when I first heard of it.

Like I've said before, I personally don't feel like Boise St has any place in a title game until they either join a real conference or become an independent and have an actual strength of schedule. When you have to lobby that Hawaii and Nevada are big games for you, it's not good.
Back to top Go down
UBeeg9cats
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostSubject: Re: Did OU have the toughest non-conference schedule?   Did OU have the toughest non-conference schedule? - Page 7 EmptyFri Oct 29, 2010 5:09 pm

I also understand all your points but I like to debate and back up my points. I think it really matters how you define the polls in the end. Are they about ranking who you view is the best team or who you view has earned that spot? I'd like to think it has parts of both reasons. Boise can appear to be one of the best teams but need a lot of teams to lose for Boise to "earn" the spot. Boise is sadly the king of the hypothetical win ala Floyd Mayweather. As I was from a small high school, I hate teams being written off just because they come from a weaker conference. I also believe that Nevada and Hawaii would be middle tier teams in most of the AQ conferences. I only get upset when someone acts like Boise would lose 4 or 5 games in any of the AQ conferences. IMO, they go undefeated in Big East and ACC easily. I think Oregon is the only team in the Pac 10 to give them a game. The other 3 conferences are deeper and that is where running the table becomes a challenge. Having to play Ohio State, Iowa, and Wisconsin is a chore. The Big 12 is softer this year but still is deep enough where undefeated is a title-game worthy accomplishment. The SEC is a gauntlet every year. USCe, UGA(is heating up), Bama, Auburn, Arkansas, and even LSU all are very tough matchups.
Back to top Go down
Ziggy116
Black Belt
Black Belt
Ziggy116

PostSubject: Re: Did OU have the toughest non-conference schedule?   Did OU have the toughest non-conference schedule? - Page 7 EmptyFri Oct 29, 2010 6:55 pm

Don't get me wrong, I am usually an underdog fan and my "hatred" of Boise St is not their fault, it comes from the media. When Oredon St got ranked I laughed at how ridiculous it was but when I saw Nevada ranked I felt it was because Va Tech and OSU weren't what the writers hoped for and needed a new BSU Storyline.

If it wasn't for those fag Sooners this conversation would probably never be necessary! lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Did OU have the toughest non-conference schedule?   Did OU have the toughest non-conference schedule? - Page 7 Empty

Back to top Go down

Did OU have the toughest non-conference schedule?
Page 7 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7