Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

NOOOO!!!! Froch injured, postpones AA fight.

Go down 
+5
marbleheadmaui
Diego408
gomez1012
hardcoreBEE24
Canvas
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

NOOOO!!!! Froch injured, postpones AA fight. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NOOOO!!!! Froch injured, postpones AA fight.   NOOOO!!!! Froch injured, postpones AA fight. - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 13, 2010 4:04 pm

well man that blows a big one
Back to top Go down
SlickMoneyXL
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
SlickMoneyXL

Favorite Fighter(s) : Miguel Cotto, Efrain Escudero

PostSubject: Re: NOOOO!!!! Froch injured, postpones AA fight.   NOOOO!!!! Froch injured, postpones AA fight. - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 13, 2010 5:15 pm

From now on single elimination is the way to go. Too much bullshit happens between all of these fights.
Back to top Go down
Groundhog_Day
Orange Belt
Orange Belt
Groundhog_Day

Favorite Fighter(s) : Manny Pacquiao

PostSubject: Re: NOOOO!!!! Froch injured, postpones AA fight.   NOOOO!!!! Froch injured, postpones AA fight. - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 13, 2010 7:05 pm

gomez1012 wrote:
hardcoreBEE24 wrote:
The super six has really turned out to be a huge disaster. We will never see tourney style like this again. It has to be single elimination in order for it to work out properly. Live and learn. I hope this doesn't discourage future tournaments.

+1

We'll see how the Bantamweight tourney works out for Showtime

They have the fights set for Dec 11
Perez-Agbeko
Mares-Darchinyan

Then in early 2011 have 1st and 3rd place match

We need to start getting more excited about that card. You have FOUR solid, action fighters on one card. No BS. I can't remember the last time any of these four was in a boring fight.
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

Favorite Fighter(s) : Arguello, Finito, Duran, Saad Muhammad

PostSubject: Re: NOOOO!!!! Froch injured, postpones AA fight.   NOOOO!!!! Froch injured, postpones AA fight. - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 13, 2010 8:18 pm

SlickMoneyXL wrote:
From now on single elimination is the way to go. Too much bullshit happens between all of these fights.

Seems like the best idea poossible, right?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: NOOOO!!!! Froch injured, postpones AA fight.   NOOOO!!!! Froch injured, postpones AA fight. - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 13, 2010 8:37 pm

Injuries are unpredictable.

It must be a serious injury for Froch to pull out, he's fought with perforated ear drums and bruised ribs before.

It's a big blow but these things happen.
Back to top Go down
Groundhog_Day
Orange Belt
Orange Belt
Groundhog_Day

PostSubject: Re: NOOOO!!!! Froch injured, postpones AA fight.   NOOOO!!!! Froch injured, postpones AA fight. - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 14, 2010 8:23 am

I have no qualms with the tournament format itself. It's just the space between the fights. Less time between fights = less room for shit to screw it up.
Back to top Go down
KrazyHorseBennett
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
KrazyHorseBennett

Favorite Fighter(s) : Charles Bennett is the second coming of Christ.

PostSubject: Re: NOOOO!!!! Froch injured, postpones AA fight.   NOOOO!!!! Froch injured, postpones AA fight. - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 14, 2010 11:55 am

marbleheadmaui wrote:
WThese guys shouldn't keep getting injured. I mean what about the superior training methods, and the value of long camps and few fights, and all the nutritional and supplement insights?

And the unicorns and cotton candy!

That's because he wasn't injured. I don't believe it for a second. Froch has been pissing and moaning throughout the whole thing, and with Kessler already out, he was just looking for a reason to bail.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: NOOOO!!!! Froch injured, postpones AA fight.   NOOOO!!!! Froch injured, postpones AA fight. - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 14, 2010 3:56 pm

KrazyHorseBennett wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:
WThese guys shouldn't keep getting injured. I mean what about the superior training methods, and the value of long camps and few fights, and all the nutritional and supplement insights?

That's because he wasn't injured. I don't believe it for a second. Froch has been pissing and moaning throughout the whole thing, and with Kessler already out, he was just looking for a reason to bail.

Don't be silly Krazy, the fight is going to get rescheduled Froch ain't pulling out.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Froch out of Abraham fight ("back injury")   NOOOO!!!! Froch injured, postpones AA fight. - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 15, 2010 5:22 pm

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=5567574

Super Six Classic dealt another blow

The Super Six World Boxing Classic, already teetering on the brink of falling apart, took another big hit when Carl Froch, citing a back injury, withdrew from a scheduled Oct. 2 fight in Monte Carlo against Arthur Abraham.

"We were informed [Monday] morning of a back injury that prohibits him to fight on Oct. 2, but that would allow him a fight about seven or eight weeks later," Chris Meyer of Sauerland Event, Abraham's promoter, told ESPN.com.

Rafael's Boxing Blog

Get the latest scoop and analysis on the world of boxing from ESPN.com's Dan Rafael in his blog.

There is no new date set for the fight, however. Sauerland Event and Froch promoter Mick Hennessy need to huddle with Showtime as well as with their European broadcast partners to figure out a new date.

"Froch claims he has a back injury and the promoters are talking to [Showtime's] Ken [Hershman] about a new date," Showtime spokesman Chris DeBlasio told ESPN.com.

Froch's withdrawal is the latest issue that threatens to derail the Showtime-bankrolled six-man tournament that features a collection of the top super middleweights in the world.

Hailed by fans and media around the world as an innovative and exciting concept when it was announced 14 months ago, it has been coming apart in recent weeks.

Previous postponements, injuries and the withdrawal of Jermain Taylor after his first fight of the tournament have been overcome. But now the issues are mounting.

Titleholder Mikkel Kessler withdrew from the tournament on Aug. 25 because of an eye injury.

When Kessler dropped out, his Group Stage 3 bout with Allan Green was canceled, leaving the status of the two other Group Stage 3 bouts -- Froch-Abraham and titlist Andre Ward against 2004 U.S. Olympic teammate Andre Dirrell -- uncertain.

Group Stage 3 was supposed to complete the round robin portion of the tournament with the four fighters with the most points through their first three bouts moving on to the semifinals. Fighters are awarded three points for a knockout win, two points for a win and one point for a draw.

Ward had already locked up a spot in the semifinals, but the remaining three slots would have been determined in the Group Stage 3 bouts. However, with Kessler out, Showtime was working on a scenario in which it would simply eliminate Group Stage 3 and make Froch-Abraham and Ward-Dirrell the semifinals, since those four fighters had the highest point totals of those remaining in the field.

Green, the replacement for Taylor, who dropped out after a bad knockout loss to Abraham in Group Stage 1, had no points after inheriting Taylor's total and losing his only fight in lopsided fashion to Ward.

Besides the problem with Kessler, Showtime also is dealing with a messy situation surrounding Ward's defense against Dirrell.

Despite continuing to advertise the fight for Sept. 25, which Showtime did again during its "ShoBox" telecast on Friday night, the fight is not happening, at least on that date.

With the fight only two weeks away, nothing remotely associated with promoting a fight has happened. The promoters have not secured a site, there are no tickets on sale and there has not been a news conference. More important -- neither fighter is in serious training.

Ward promoter Dan Goossen and Dirrell promoter Gary Shaw refuse to discuss the issues. However, Showtime has continued to press for the fight and last week threatened Goossen and Shaw with legal action if it's called off.
Back to top Go down
Groundhog_Day
Orange Belt
Orange Belt
Groundhog_Day

PostSubject: Re: NOOOO!!!! Froch injured, postpones AA fight.   NOOOO!!!! Froch injured, postpones AA fight. - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 15, 2010 5:34 pm

He has "Haye fever" hahahahahaha.

In all seriousness, I think it's legit. I mean this guy Froch doesn't use anesthesia or take pain meds. He's always in great condition come fight night. He's a health nut (though that's ironic considering he's a boxer with bad defense). I would think it would be a legit injury.

Still sucks though.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: NOOOO!!!! Froch injured, postpones AA fight.   NOOOO!!!! Froch injured, postpones AA fight. - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 15, 2010 5:40 pm

Groundhog_Day wrote:
He has "Haye fever" hahahahahaha.

In all seriousness, I think it's legit. I mean this guy Froch doesn't use anesthesia or take pain meds. He's always in great condition come fight night. He's a health nut (though that's ironic considering he's a boxer with bad defense). I would think it would be a legit injury.

Still sucks though.

I think he might be hurt, but more than that he's buying time. His injury is too convenient, especially since he seems like the type to fight through injury. Froch is probably making sure Dirrell-Ward will go down and the tourney will continue while resting. Because if it isn't there's no reason him to see if he can't make a better fight (for him). He hasn't been happy about not getting to fight in England.

I agree it sucks.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: NOOOO!!!! Froch injured, postpones AA fight.   NOOOO!!!! Froch injured, postpones AA fight. - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 15, 2010 5:49 pm

My bad I'm late on this...if someone can merge or delete the thread that'd be cool
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: NOOOO!!!! Froch injured, postpones AA fight.   NOOOO!!!! Froch injured, postpones AA fight. - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 15, 2010 5:55 pm

marbleheadmaui wrote:
soonermark890 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:

I heard he got cut by the unicorns horn.

I genuinely don't know if I am being unfair here or not. I suspect reading boxing history temporary delays in fights due to minor injuries probably wouldn't be big enough news to be a theme. Maybe fights 50 years ago were as commonly delayed/cancelled by injuries as they are today.

But I DO know that since 1970 my memory says there is more of this going on now than I have ever seen before. I really suspect that the lack of activity is causing these injuries. Or that these men aren't hurt at all and injuries are now the useful excuse for promotional decisions.

Or I am completely full of it. Wouldn't be the first time.

I'm skeptical about the injury being the cause of Froch dropping the fight. But if a guy is training hard instead of taking actual fights, there's still a good chance of getting hurt. It's like guys who get injured in the preseason. The thing is if fights were canceled in the past (have no clue) there were more to take their place. "Injuries" have become a negotiating and scheduling tactic.

In a month or so I'll dig up the thread on "superior training methods, and the value of long camps and few fights, and all the nutritional and supplement insights" and get round 2 going.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: NOOOO!!!! Froch injured, postpones AA fight.   NOOOO!!!! Froch injured, postpones AA fight. - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

NOOOO!!!! Froch injured, postpones AA fight.
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2