Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Australian boxer Michael Katsidis lands WBO world title fight

Go down 
+7
Canvas
gomez1012
dbudge87
Hillsicc303
captainanddew
hardcoreBEE24
marbleheadmaui
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

Favorite Fighter(s) : Arguello, Finito, Duran, Saad Muhammad

Australian boxer Michael Katsidis lands WBO world title fight - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Australian boxer Michael Katsidis lands WBO world title fight   Australian boxer Michael Katsidis lands WBO world title fight - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 03, 2010 3:27 am

freakzilla316ftw wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:
freakzilla316ftw wrote:
I know boxing history. They were stupid to fight that many times a year. No way on earth would Sugar Ray Robinson be able to fight more than 6 times a year in this day and age against top opposition.

Sorry dude, you haven't a clue on this.

Let me give you some things to think about.

In 1919 Harry greb went 45-0 and defeated HOFers six times. In just those twelve months. His body was so depleted he went on to win the middleweight crown three years later.

In 1948 Ike Williams went 10-0 beating six ranked guys including HOFer Kid Gavilan. It so ruined him he only kept the lightweight crown for another three years.

In 1945 Ray Robinson went 9-0 defeating Jake Lamotta twice, future champ Tommy Bell and three other ranked guys. In 1946 he fought 16 times winning the welterweight crown and beating HOFer Sammy Angott and four other ranked guys. He was so depleted and his body gave out so badly he only lasted another 15 years as a ranked fighter.

In 1969 Ruben Olivares went 10-0 with wins over three guys and, oh yeah, in addition he won the undisputed banatamweight title. It so ruined him he was still featherweight champ six years later.

In 1972 Muhammad Ali went 6-0 with wins over 2 HOFers and three other ranked guys. He was so traumatized he regained the title two years later.

The notion that in this day and age conditions have made it so fighters have to fight LESS? Are you kidding? Half as many fighters divided into twice as many divisions. They wear bigger gloves than ever, they fight shorter fights than ever, there are all these magical training thingies no-one can ever specify and they fight LESS??????????

But everyone was doing the same thing so of course it's not going to affect you. Also, it would depend on how much damage your body took. If it was someone like RJJ in his peak or FMJ who don't get hurt then i'm sure they could fight much more. So i'll meet you halfway on my previous statements.

Gotta come further than that my good man. Wink

Just as a further piece of data, Robinsonw as dropped twice in those two Lamotta fights. It's not like these guys weren't taking punches.
Back to top Go down
hardcoreBEE24
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Thomas Hearns

PostSubject: Re: Australian boxer Michael Katsidis lands WBO world title fight   Australian boxer Michael Katsidis lands WBO world title fight - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 03, 2010 5:17 am

Please see the last post on page three. James Toney was a recent guy that fought as often as the classic greats that Marble mentions. Had Toney had the resolve that a Robinson had after one loss I feel more fighters would've fought more. Jackie Kallen IMO was onto something with Toney. Its a shame he threatened to kill her after RJJ kicked his burger king and cake and pie eating ass.
Back to top Go down
shakefree
White Belt
White Belt
shakefree

PostSubject: Re: Australian boxer Michael Katsidis lands WBO world title fight   Australian boxer Michael Katsidis lands WBO world title fight - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 03, 2010 10:15 am

kes darcy is australia's greatest ever fighter.probably followed by kostya,young griffo & in no particular order fenech,vic patrick,famechon & rose.the legend/muth goes about young griffo that during drinking bouts he used to stand on a handerchief & bet patrons they couldn't land one on his vera lynn.
marble in regards your first post in the thread,i think if kat wins it will be through a combination of jmm growing old,kat having improved & quite possibly jmm being blinded by kat's blood. Razz
Back to top Go down
shakefree
White Belt
White Belt
shakefree

PostSubject: Re: Australian boxer Michael Katsidis lands WBO world title fight   Australian boxer Michael Katsidis lands WBO world title fight - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 03, 2010 10:17 am

damn i always start off with a wrong key What a Face
Back to top Go down
shakefree
White Belt
White Belt
shakefree

PostSubject: Re: Australian boxer Michael Katsidis lands WBO world title fight   Australian boxer Michael Katsidis lands WBO world title fight - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 03, 2010 10:24 am

people there think Green and Mundine are world champs , for a start.

Tzsyu is about as Aussie as James Toney. I love Australia and spent a year there, does that make me an Aussie?
on point one sadly,you're mostly right
on point two you're badly wrong.kostya moved to australia after the world amateurs in about 1991.he has lived there since,is a naturalised australian(citizen),still lives here & if you ask his son(who you will here of in about 5-6 years)timophey what nationality he is,there'll only be one answer
Back to top Go down
UBeeg9cats
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostSubject: Re: Australian boxer Michael Katsidis lands WBO world title fight   Australian boxer Michael Katsidis lands WBO world title fight - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 03, 2010 11:13 am

Diego408 wrote:
I dont know why anyoe is giving Katsidis a chance, Marquez knocked out the guys that beat Katsidis. Katsidis will be knocked out, at least Diaz and Casa had some defense. Katsidis earned his shot, buut he still doesnt stand a chance. Mismatch

I believe Marquez will win with a solid UD or late round TKO but I want to make my case why I believe that it will be closer than a lot of people, especially you, think it will be. JMM is 37 which is very old for a natural feather or super feather. Katsidis is 30 which is a pretty good age for a natural lightweight. It is true that guys with Katsidis's style wear out quicker but JMM is no sweet Pea himself. Katsidis has looked better since the Casa and Diaz fights. JMM decided to yo-yo in weight. If you look at the Casa fights, JMM was at a draw with him entering the 11th while Katsidis was ahead going into the tenth. They were back to back fights for Casa but he was ever so slightly younger with just a little less wear going into the Katsidis fight. JMM was not as good against Diaz last time out and that was against a shot fighter trying out a new style.

When it comes down to it, age and weight make it a much more prime fight for Katsidis but he is a lower class of fighter with a style made for JMM.
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

Favorite Fighter(s) : Arguello, Finito, Duran, Saad Muhammad

PostSubject: Re: Australian boxer Michael Katsidis lands WBO world title fight   Australian boxer Michael Katsidis lands WBO world title fight - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 03, 2010 2:31 pm

shakefree wrote:
kes darcy is australia's greatest ever fighter.probably followed by kostya,young griffo & in no particular order fenech,vic patrick,famechon & rose.the legend/muth goes about young griffo that during drinking bouts he used to stand on a handerchief & bet patrons they couldn't land one on his vera lynn.
marble in regards your first post in the thread,i think if kat wins it will be through a combination of jmm growing old,kat having improved & quite possibly jmm being blinded by kat's blood. Razz

How the heck did I forget about Les Darcy? Sheesh.

Another one of those too weird to be fiction lives.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Australian boxer Michael Katsidis lands WBO world title fight   Australian boxer Michael Katsidis lands WBO world title fight - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Australian boxer Michael Katsidis lands WBO world title fight
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3