Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Australian boxer Michael Katsidis lands WBO world title fight

Go down 
+7
Canvas
gomez1012
dbudge87
Hillsicc303
captainanddew
hardcoreBEE24
marbleheadmaui
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

Favorite Fighter(s) : Arguello, Finito, Duran, Saad Muhammad

Australian boxer Michael Katsidis lands WBO world title fight - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Australian boxer Michael Katsidis lands WBO world title fight   Australian boxer Michael Katsidis lands WBO world title fight - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 02, 2010 2:01 pm

Ali_1748 wrote:
To be fair on Freak it's not his fault for talking about the straps, the media is really to blame for validating them. If they simply boycotted and stopped mentioning all the worthless trinkets people would take notice.

Just continuing the missionary work Ali.

I'm trying to begin the First Church of the Boxing Resurrection!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Australian boxer Michael Katsidis lands WBO world title fight   Australian boxer Michael Katsidis lands WBO world title fight - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 02, 2010 2:01 pm

It was in the 80's. Weren't there much less straps then? Anyways, you can't deny Fennech fought with loads of heart and should have gotten the decision over the great Azzumah Nelson.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Australian boxer Michael Katsidis lands WBO world title fight   Australian boxer Michael Katsidis lands WBO world title fight - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 02, 2010 2:07 pm

marbleheadmaui wrote:
Ali_1748 wrote:
To be fair on Freak it's not his fault for talking about the straps, the media is really to blame for validating them. If they simply boycotted and stopped mentioning all the worthless trinkets people would take notice.

hahah Churches forgive sinners not eradicate them Wink
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

PostSubject: Re: Australian boxer Michael Katsidis lands WBO world title fight   Australian boxer Michael Katsidis lands WBO world title fight - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 02, 2010 2:07 pm

freakzilla316ftw wrote:
It was in the 80's. Weren't there much less straps then? Anyways, you can't deny Fennech fought with loads of heart and should have gotten the decision over the great Azzumah Nelson.

There were three back then, the WBC, WBA and IBF. Fenech was a great fighter and a blast to watch. He just was never a champion in the only useful sense of the word. Came awfully close against Azumah. I had that fight a draw as I watched it. Jimmy Carruthers and Lionel Rose were. And Rose might have the single most prestigious win in Aussie history, beating ATG Fighting Harada when Harada still had the goods. Fenech's win over Zarate was after Zarate's seven year retirement.

Go watch Lionel Rose. He was GREAT for a brief time. One of boxing's very rare teenage champions.
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

PostSubject: Re: Australian boxer Michael Katsidis lands WBO world title fight   Australian boxer Michael Katsidis lands WBO world title fight - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 02, 2010 2:10 pm

Ali_1748 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:
Ali_1748 wrote:

Who is eradicating? Just trying to show the brother the path of boxing enlightenment. It promises true champions, thrilling fights, 4-6 fights per year for established fighters and the eternal damnation of Panama Lewis!

Can I get an Amen?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Australian boxer Michael Katsidis lands WBO world title fight   Australian boxer Michael Katsidis lands WBO world title fight - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 02, 2010 2:12 pm

I've watched him fight. Even watched the movie about his life. Boxing experts in this country rate Fennech, Tszyu and Rose in that order and I agree.
Back to top Go down
Canvas
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Australian boxer Michael Katsidis lands WBO world title fight   Australian boxer Michael Katsidis lands WBO world title fight - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 02, 2010 2:12 pm

the WBO started in the late 80's as well I believe
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Australian boxer Michael Katsidis lands WBO world title fight   Australian boxer Michael Katsidis lands WBO world title fight - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 02, 2010 2:13 pm

marbleheadmaui wrote:
Ali_1748 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:
Ali_1748 wrote:

Who is eradicating? Just trying to show the brother the path of boxing enlightenment. It promises true champions, thrilling fights, 4-6 fights per year for established fighters and the eternal damnation of Panama Lewis!

Can I get an Amen?

Elite fighters can't fight at their peak 6 times a year. More than3-4 times is too much.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Australian boxer Michael Katsidis lands WBO world title fight   Australian boxer Michael Katsidis lands WBO world title fight - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 02, 2010 2:14 pm

marbleheadmaui wrote:
Ali_1748 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:
Ali_1748 wrote:

Can I get an Amen?

I have got to visit a gospel church one day.
Back to top Go down
Canvas
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Australian boxer Michael Katsidis lands WBO world title fight   Australian boxer Michael Katsidis lands WBO world title fight - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 02, 2010 2:14 pm

easy on him Marble. He knows not what he says.....
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

PostSubject: Re: Australian boxer Michael Katsidis lands WBO world title fight   Australian boxer Michael Katsidis lands WBO world title fight - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 02, 2010 2:17 pm

Ali_1748 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:
Ali_1748 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:
Ali_1748 wrote:

Can I get an Amen?

I have got to visit a gospel church one day.

I went to the Reverend Al Green's Church a couple of times when I was in Memphis years ago. You really do have to go.
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

PostSubject: Re: Australian boxer Michael Katsidis lands WBO world title fight   Australian boxer Michael Katsidis lands WBO world title fight - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 02, 2010 2:17 pm

Canvas wrote:
easy on him Marble. He knows not what he says.....

LOL!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Australian boxer Michael Katsidis lands WBO world title fight   Australian boxer Michael Katsidis lands WBO world title fight - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 02, 2010 9:23 pm

Diego408 wrote:
I dont know why anyoe is giving Katsidis a chance, Marquez knocked out the guys that beat Katsidis. Katsidis will be knocked out, at least Diaz and Casa had some defense. Katsidis earned his shot, buut he still doesnt stand a chance. Mismatch

Katsidis has looked better after the losses. He's a huge question mark, but he definitely has the tools to win the fight (power, strength, pressure, heart, toughness, chin, athleticism). So if his tactics and skills have really improved, he'll win. It could be a mismatch, but I'm not convinced. I'm taking Katsidis.
Back to top Go down
captainanddew
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ricky Burns

PostSubject: Re: Australian boxer Michael Katsidis lands WBO world title fight   Australian boxer Michael Katsidis lands WBO world title fight - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 02, 2010 9:37 pm

Top 10 guys can fight 4 times in a year

The key is varying the competition.
The old-time guys, who fought alot more fights, didn't face top ranked competition every fight.

HOw much time do you need for vacation????
train, January 4th-February 28th
fight March 1st
vacation- Mar 2-March 24
Train- Mar 25- May 12th
Fight-May 13th
Vacation- May 14th-June 24th
Train- June 25th-August 7th
Fight- August 8th
Vacation- August 8th-September 15th
Train-Sept 15-November 20th
Fight-November 21st
Vacation-November 22-January 3rd

If you fight often you don't need to be in the gym for 8-10 weeks to get ready for a fight.
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

PostSubject: Re: Australian boxer Michael Katsidis lands WBO world title fight   Australian boxer Michael Katsidis lands WBO world title fight - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 02, 2010 11:46 pm

freakzilla316ftw wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:
Ali_1748 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:
Ali_1748 wrote:

Can I get an Amen?

Elite fighters can't fight at their peak 6 times a year. More than3-4 times is too much.

Missing the point. One needn't be at one's absolute peak six times a year. But staying active make the peaks HIGHER than they would otherwise be.

Unless you think boxing is the one human activity where doing it less makes one better.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: Australian boxer Michael Katsidis lands WBO world title fight   Australian boxer Michael Katsidis lands WBO world title fight - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 02, 2010 11:52 pm

sounds good to me
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Australian boxer Michael Katsidis lands WBO world title fight   Australian boxer Michael Katsidis lands WBO world title fight - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 03, 2010 12:20 am

marbleheadmaui wrote:
freakzilla316ftw wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:
Ali_1748 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:
Ali_1748 wrote:

Can I get an Amen?

Missing the point. One needn't be at one's absolute peak six times a year. But staying active make the peaks HIGHER than they would otherwise be.

Unless you think boxing is the one human activity where doing it less makes one better.

Staying active doesn't make your peak higher it just wears you out. You need to let your injuries heal and you can't be cutting weight all year round. Your body would give out.
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

PostSubject: Re: Australian boxer Michael Katsidis lands WBO world title fight   Australian boxer Michael Katsidis lands WBO world title fight - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 03, 2010 12:55 am

freakzilla316ftw wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:
freakzilla316ftw wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:
Ali_1748 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:
Ali_1748 wrote:

Can I get an Amen?

Staying active doesn't make your peak higher it just wears you out. You need to let your injuries heal and you can't be cutting weight all year round. Your body would give out.

LOL, you don't knwo boxing history at all do you?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Australian boxer Michael Katsidis lands WBO world title fight   Australian boxer Michael Katsidis lands WBO world title fight - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 03, 2010 1:11 am

I know boxing history. They were stupid to fight that many times a year. No way on earth would Sugar Ray Robinson be able to fight more than 6 times a year in this day and age against top opposition.
Back to top Go down
hardcoreBEE24
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Thomas Hearns

PostSubject: Re: Australian boxer Michael Katsidis lands WBO world title fight   Australian boxer Michael Katsidis lands WBO world title fight - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 03, 2010 1:24 am

freakzilla316ftw wrote:
I know boxing history. They were stupid to fight that many times a year. No way on earth would Sugar Ray Robinson be able to fight more than 6 times a year in this day and age against top opposition.

Of course he would have as recently as sixteen years ago james toney defended his belt five times in one year then moved up and defeatedthe supermiddleweight champ. How many times has adamek fought this year and looked better everytume out. Now compare his contemporary in Chad Dawson who's inactivness has only made him dull and uninspiring. 10000 hours of practice makes a master of craft. Your statement is flawed also because top fighters don't even fight subpar competition six times a year nevermind top competition. More fights equal a better fighter. Plain and simple. I also feel that more guys develop injuries because they fight less not more and don't work on avoiding punches like they use to.
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

PostSubject: Re: Australian boxer Michael Katsidis lands WBO world title fight   Australian boxer Michael Katsidis lands WBO world title fight - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 03, 2010 1:30 am

freakzilla316ftw wrote:

Sorry dude, you haven't a clue on this.

Let me give you some things to think about.

In 1919 Harry greb went 45-0 and defeated HOFers six times. In just those twelve months. His body was so depleted he went on to win the middleweight crown three years later.

In 1948 Ike Williams went 10-0 beating six ranked guys including HOFer Kid Gavilan. It so ruined him he only kept the lightweight crown for another three years.

In 1945 Ray Robinson went 9-0 defeating Jake Lamotta twice, future champ Tommy Bell and three other ranked guys. In 1946 he fought 16 times winning the welterweight crown and beating HOFer Sammy Angott and four other ranked guys. He was so depleted and his body gave out so badly he only lasted another 15 years as a ranked fighter.

In 1969 Ruben Olivares went 10-0 with wins over three guys and, oh yeah, in addition he won the undisputed banatamweight title. It so ruined him he was still featherweight champ six years later.

In 1972 Muhammad Ali went 6-0 with wins over 2 HOFers and three other ranked guys. He was so traumatized he regained the title two years later.

The notion that in this day and age conditions have made it so fighters have to fight LESS? Are you kidding? Half as many fighters divided into twice as many divisions. They wear bigger gloves than ever, they fight shorter fights than ever, there are all these magical training thingies no-one can ever specify and they fight LESS??????????

Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: Australian boxer Michael Katsidis lands WBO world title fight   Australian boxer Michael Katsidis lands WBO world title fight - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 03, 2010 1:49 am

freak i love ya

BUT YOU ARE SO WRONG ON THIS IT AINT FUNNY
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Australian boxer Michael Katsidis lands WBO world title fight   Australian boxer Michael Katsidis lands WBO world title fight - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 03, 2010 1:56 am

marbleheadmaui wrote:
freakzilla316ftw wrote:

Sorry dude, you haven't a clue on this.

Let me give you some things to think about.

In 1919 Harry greb went 45-0 and defeated HOFers six times. In just those twelve months. His body was so depleted he went on to win the middleweight crown three years later.

In 1948 Ike Williams went 10-0 beating six ranked guys including HOFer Kid Gavilan. It so ruined him he only kept the lightweight crown for another three years.

In 1945 Ray Robinson went 9-0 defeating Jake Lamotta twice, future champ Tommy Bell and three other ranked guys. In 1946 he fought 16 times winning the welterweight crown and beating HOFer Sammy Angott and four other ranked guys. He was so depleted and his body gave out so badly he only lasted another 15 years as a ranked fighter.

In 1969 Ruben Olivares went 10-0 with wins over three guys and, oh yeah, in addition he won the undisputed banatamweight title. It so ruined him he was still featherweight champ six years later.

In 1972 Muhammad Ali went 6-0 with wins over 2 HOFers and three other ranked guys. He was so traumatized he regained the title two years later.

The notion that in this day and age conditions have made it so fighters have to fight LESS? Are you kidding? Half as many fighters divided into twice as many divisions. They wear bigger gloves than ever, they fight shorter fights than ever, there are all these magical training thingies no-one can ever specify and they fight LESS??????????

But everyone was doing the same thing so of course it's not going to affect you. Also, it would depend on how much damage your body took. If it was someone like RJJ in his peak or FMJ who don't get hurt then i'm sure they could fight much more. So i'll meet you halfway on my previous statements.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Australian boxer Michael Katsidis lands WBO world title fight   Australian boxer Michael Katsidis lands WBO world title fight - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 03, 2010 1:57 am

Birdofthad wrote:
freak i love ya

BUT YOU ARE SO WRONG ON THIS IT AINT FUNNY

Love ya too bird so i'll back off from my statements a bit Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

PostSubject: Re: Australian boxer Michael Katsidis lands WBO world title fight   Australian boxer Michael Katsidis lands WBO world title fight - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 03, 2010 2:03 am

dont worry bout that its a forum to voice your opinion so feel free, i just gotta disagree

for instance

back in the old days when champs froze titles (especialy heavies) Im talkin Bradock sitting on a title for 2 years and Dempsey doing the same

Louis defends it 12 times inside of 3 years

the time was different the fighters were hungrier and fought more often against better opposition IMO
lets be real, Andre Berto (and i love the guy) would be a contendor back then who would be forced to fight often and earn his keep
know we have guys turning down million dollar paydays

it was just a different time and the sport thrived because of it

Henry Armstrong defending his title 24 times and fighting 27 times inside of 2 years ABSOLUTELY DEMOLISHES PACQUIAO AND MAYWEATHER in the Same MONTH IMO

these guys were different animals, they were ready to go a week later against ATGs and HOFs

now we are lucky to see a guy fight 1 legitimate ATG in a career
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Australian boxer Michael Katsidis lands WBO world title fight   Australian boxer Michael Katsidis lands WBO world title fight - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Australian boxer Michael Katsidis lands WBO world title fight
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next