Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Can we agree if Melendez beats Aoki that Japanese LWs are/have been overrated?

Go down 
+7
Bigs03
captain organic
Andrew the Raider King
Ludo
acccardinal12
KingsOwn19
LA
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Overrated or Not
Yes
Can we agree if Melendez beats Aoki that Japanese LWs are/have been overrated? Vote_lcap55%Can we agree if Melendez beats Aoki that Japanese LWs are/have been overrated? Vote_rcap
 55% [ 11 ]
No
Can we agree if Melendez beats Aoki that Japanese LWs are/have been overrated? Vote_lcap45%Can we agree if Melendez beats Aoki that Japanese LWs are/have been overrated? Vote_rcap
 45% [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 20

AuthorMessage
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva, Jose Aldo

Can we agree if Melendez beats Aoki that Japanese LWs are/have been overrated? Empty
PostSubject: Can we agree if Melendez beats Aoki that Japanese LWs are/have been overrated?   Can we agree if Melendez beats Aoki that Japanese LWs are/have been overrated? EmptyMon Apr 05, 2010 6:41 pm

I know there's a mixed bag on this, some of us are on the overrated side, others think their all toss up fights outside of BJ. Anyways, your thoughts?
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

Can we agree if Melendez beats Aoki that Japanese LWs are/have been overrated? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Can we agree if Melendez beats Aoki that Japanese LWs are/have been overrated?   Can we agree if Melendez beats Aoki that Japanese LWs are/have been overrated? EmptyMon Apr 05, 2010 6:58 pm

I vote no. I think Melendez deserves the credit for defeating Aoki should he win rather than the usual "so and so was simply overrated" talk. It strips him of the credit that is due when people talk like that which is pretty much every time somebody loses.

The Japenese LW's that have had the hype are Gomi and Aoki. I don't think Gomi was ever overrated, he's just not as good as he once was and it did not take a dip in the UFC to prove it. He had been mediocre IN Japan since the fall of PRIDE. Aoki has beaten some really good compettion over his career in Hansen (x2), JZ, Vitor, Uno, Sotriopoulous. He quickly and easily took care of Alvarez and Hirota. He's fought good competiton at higher weight classes. I think Aoki has been backing up all the hype EXCEPT for the being a match for BJ Penn hype...which is just silly...but it Melendez beats Shinya Aoki, thats a huge win for Gilbert not the verdict on if Aoki was all that good or not.

Last edited by KingsOwn19 on Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

PostSubject: Re: Can we agree if Melendez beats Aoki that Japanese LWs are/have been overrated?   Can we agree if Melendez beats Aoki that Japanese LWs are/have been overrated? EmptyMon Apr 05, 2010 7:11 pm

This has nothing to do with KenFlo dominating Gomi, as it's clear Gomi is at the end of his career, to Kenny's credit though, I think he'd beat prime Gomi too now.

I'll wait for some more posts before I completely reply.
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

PostSubject: Re: Can we agree if Melendez beats Aoki that Japanese LWs are/have been overrated?   Can we agree if Melendez beats Aoki that Japanese LWs are/have been overrated? EmptyMon Apr 05, 2010 7:23 pm

Do you mean Japanese LW's as in LW's that are Japanese or do you mean all the LW's that mainly fight in Japan but are held in high regard like Hansen, JZ, Vitor, Hirota, Mach, Crusher, Gomi etc?
Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Cung Le, BJ Penn, Mayhem, Chael Sonnen, Anthony Pettis

PostSubject: Re: Can we agree if Melendez beats Aoki that Japanese LWs are/have been overrated?   Can we agree if Melendez beats Aoki that Japanese LWs are/have been overrated? EmptyMon Apr 05, 2010 7:46 pm

Weaker than I used too think.
Back to top Go down
Ludo
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
Ludo

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Prodigy, The Great, Viking Dahmer, The Phenom

PostSubject: Re: Can we agree if Melendez beats Aoki that Japanese LWs are/have been overrated?   Can we agree if Melendez beats Aoki that Japanese LWs are/have been overrated? EmptyMon Apr 05, 2010 8:00 pm

Not to try and hijack the thread or anything but if Aoki loses to Melendez, at least we won't have to suffer through the failed argument that Aoki could give BJ Penn a challenge.
Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Cung Le, BJ Penn, Mayhem, Chael Sonnen, Anthony Pettis

PostSubject: Re: Can we agree if Melendez beats Aoki that Japanese LWs are/have been overrated?   Can we agree if Melendez beats Aoki that Japanese LWs are/have been overrated? EmptyMon Apr 05, 2010 8:10 pm

LudoCain wrote:
Not to try and hijack the thread or anything but if Aoki loses to Melendez, at least we won't have to suffer through the failed argument that Aoki could give BJ Penn a challenge.

Hellz yeah!
Back to top Go down
Andrew the Raider King
Red Belt
Red Belt
Andrew the Raider King

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael, Sexyama, Condit, Hendricks, Cowboy, Struve

PostSubject: Re: Can we agree if Melendez beats Aoki that Japanese LWs are/have been overrated?   Can we agree if Melendez beats Aoki that Japanese LWs are/have been overrated? EmptyMon Apr 05, 2010 10:53 pm

I think that there have been legit questions about the veracity of Japanese fighters. They tend, not always, but tend to limit what they have to learn. Kenny, BJ, Gray, Diego, etc. have accepted that they have to continue evolving as their careers progress. The Japanese have a stubborn streak that has been in existence since the Kamakura Shogunate.
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

PostSubject: Re: Can we agree if Melendez beats Aoki that Japanese LWs are/have been overrated?   Can we agree if Melendez beats Aoki that Japanese LWs are/have been overrated? EmptyTue Apr 06, 2010 12:37 am

KingsOwn19 wrote:
Do you mean Japanese LW's as in LW's that are Japanese or do you mean all the LW's that mainly fight in Japan but are held in high regard like Hansen, JZ, Vitor, Hirota, Mach, Crusher, Gomi etc?

Little of both I guess
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

PostSubject: Re: Can we agree if Melendez beats Aoki that Japanese LWs are/have been overrated?   Can we agree if Melendez beats Aoki that Japanese LWs are/have been overrated? EmptyTue Apr 06, 2010 5:06 pm

To touchy a thread for people to comment in, but the vote say it all
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Can we agree if Melendez beats Aoki that Japanese LWs are/have been overrated?   Can we agree if Melendez beats Aoki that Japanese LWs are/have been overrated? EmptyTue Apr 06, 2010 6:47 pm

I think it would depend on how it goes down. If gil dominates the standup and then finishes it on the ground then yeah, Aoki's rep takes a hit. But if it's a hard fought battle that goes 5 then prob not.
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

PostSubject: Re: Can we agree if Melendez beats Aoki that Japanese LWs are/have been overrated?   Can we agree if Melendez beats Aoki that Japanese LWs are/have been overrated? EmptyTue Apr 06, 2010 8:01 pm

captain organic wrote:
I think it would depend on how it goes down. If gil dominates the standup and then finishes it on the ground then yeah, Aoki's rep takes a hit. But if it's a hard fought battle that goes 5 then prob not.

Wow great post Capt. I'll totally agree with that, +1 sir
Back to top Go down
Bigs03
Black Belt
Black Belt
Bigs03

Favorite Fighter(s) : Fedor and GSP

PostSubject: Re: Can we agree if Melendez beats Aoki that Japanese LWs are/have been overrated?   Can we agree if Melendez beats Aoki that Japanese LWs are/have been overrated? EmptyTue Apr 06, 2010 8:41 pm

I definitely don't see Gilbert dominating Aoki...not at all. If he does, it definitely makes Aoki look bad. I have a feeling Gilbert's gonna get subbed.
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

PostSubject: Re: Can we agree if Melendez beats Aoki that Japanese LWs are/have been overrated?   Can we agree if Melendez beats Aoki that Japanese LWs are/have been overrated? EmptyTue Apr 06, 2010 9:07 pm

Yes if it's closer it isn't as bad, similar to what Capt. said, but still IMO a couple guys could beat Melendez in the UFC LW division, him beating Aoki, just weakens the product overseas to me.
Back to top Go down
Ludo
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
Ludo

PostSubject: Re: Can we agree if Melendez beats Aoki that Japanese LWs are/have been overrated?   Can we agree if Melendez beats Aoki that Japanese LWs are/have been overrated? EmptyTue Apr 06, 2010 9:50 pm

Thats what I meant when I posed my question, if Melendez can beat Aoki impressively it would end the stupid "Aoki is the only guy who can give BJ a challenge" shit. I don't know that it would really prove if Japanese Lightweights are overrated persay. Aoki is still 1a to BJ's 1 as a pure grappler at 155. Thats got to count for something. I think if Aoki works on his standup and develops it into something special then he could be the perennial successor to BJ's Legacy in a few years.
Back to top Go down
Bigs03
Black Belt
Black Belt
Bigs03

PostSubject: Re: Can we agree if Melendez beats Aoki that Japanese LWs are/have been overrated?   Can we agree if Melendez beats Aoki that Japanese LWs are/have been overrated? EmptyTue Apr 06, 2010 10:10 pm

LudoCain wrote:
Thats what I meant when I posed my question, if Melendez can beat Aoki impressively it would end the stupid "Aoki is the only guy who can give BJ a challenge" shit. I don't know that it would really prove if Japanese Lightweights are overrated persay. Aoki is still 1a to BJ's 1 as a pure grappler at 155. Thats got to count for something. I think if Aoki works on his standup and develops it into something special then he could be the perennial successor to BJ's Legacy in a few years.

I don't know why Aoki has to be 1A to BJ's 1 as a pure grappler. The clear advantage for BJ vs. Aoki would be his boxing. I'm sure a lot of the BJ homers here will throw a hissy fit but I doubt BJ would even want to go to the ground with Aoki. Not because BJ's grappling isn't on par with Aoki's, but because that is the only place that Aoki poses a legit threat to BJ. I would be more inclined to think that BJ and Aoki are both top grapplers in MMA, regardless of weight class.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

PostSubject: Re: Can we agree if Melendez beats Aoki that Japanese LWs are/have been overrated?   Can we agree if Melendez beats Aoki that Japanese LWs are/have been overrated? EmptyTue Apr 06, 2010 10:18 pm

It would be a literal Earth stopping moment for Aoki to translate success to a cage in the USA. In Japan this fight is a clear cut win for Aoki, in Strikeforce Melendez should be a heavy favorite. I don't know what it is, but in Japan against the same caliber of fighters, Japanese mixed martial artists can succeed, but in America they are made to look like clowns.

To the question - the premise doesn't need to be proven, because it is already iron clad fact(if amended to mean all Japanese fighters).
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
Ludo
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
Ludo

PostSubject: Re: Can we agree if Melendez beats Aoki that Japanese LWs are/have been overrated?   Can we agree if Melendez beats Aoki that Japanese LWs are/have been overrated? EmptyTue Apr 06, 2010 10:39 pm

I say 1a to BJ's 1 simply because it's a tossup as to who would win in a pure grappling situation between them. BJ has crazy flexibility but Aoki is quick on the draw. Both are very sneaky with their subs and positioning. If they did fight yeah BJ would probably keep Aoki on his feet because theres no reason not to. But the premise of my comment was in a grappling tournament type setting I'm not sure who would win.
Back to top Go down
Bigs03
Black Belt
Black Belt
Bigs03

PostSubject: Re: Can we agree if Melendez beats Aoki that Japanese LWs are/have been overrated?   Can we agree if Melendez beats Aoki that Japanese LWs are/have been overrated? EmptyTue Apr 06, 2010 10:53 pm

LudoCain wrote:
I say 1a to BJ's 1 simply because it's a tossup as to who would win in a pure grappling situation between them. BJ has crazy flexibility but Aoki is quick on the draw. Both are very sneaky with their subs and positioning. If they did fight yeah BJ would probably keep Aoki on his feet because theres no reason not to. But the premise of my comment was in a grappling tournament type setting I'm not sure who would win.

Gotcha. I think we are in agreement.
Back to top Go down
Ninja
Administrator
Administrator
Ninja

Favorite Fighter(s) : Anyone with the last name Rua or Emelianenko and Uncle Creepy

PostSubject: Re: Can we agree if Melendez beats Aoki that Japanese LWs are/have been overrated?   Can we agree if Melendez beats Aoki that Japanese LWs are/have been overrated? EmptyTue Apr 06, 2010 10:54 pm

Absolutely not. How does one fighter represent an entire country?
Back to top Go down
https://ninjasplace.forumotion.net
Ninja
Administrator
Administrator
Ninja

Favorite Fighter(s) : Anyone with the last name Rua or Emelianenko and Uncle Creepy

PostSubject: Re: Can we agree if Melendez beats Aoki that Japanese LWs are/have been overrated?   Can we agree if Melendez beats Aoki that Japanese LWs are/have been overrated? EmptyTue Apr 06, 2010 10:57 pm

LudoCain wrote:

What kind of idiot actually thinks this? BJ is stylistically the worst matchup for Aoki imaginable. Penn would absolutely clown stomp Aoki. Still that does not take away from Aoki's accomplishments. He arguably fought and beaten more elite LWs than BJ has.
Back to top Go down
https://ninjasplace.forumotion.net
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Can we agree if Melendez beats Aoki that Japanese LWs are/have been overrated?   Can we agree if Melendez beats Aoki that Japanese LWs are/have been overrated? EmptyTue Apr 06, 2010 11:12 pm

Bigs03 wrote:
LudoCain wrote:

I don't know why Aoki has to be 1A to BJ's 1 as a pure grappler. The clear advantage for BJ vs. Aoki would be his boxing. I'm sure a lot of the BJ homers here will throw a hissy fit but I doubt BJ would even want to go to the ground with Aoki. Not because BJ's grappling isn't on par with Aoki's, but because that is the only place that Aoki poses a legit threat to BJ. I would be more inclined to think that BJ and Aoki are both top grapplers in MMA, regardless of weight class.

well having watched penn of late, I would not be surprised if Penn went to the ground with Aoki, just for the challenge. I know Penn loves to stand, but against Aoki, I could see him going for a takedown early.

but to cain's point, I don't find it likely that a guy can improve one's standup from avg to something special at this stage of his career.
Back to top Go down
Bigs03
Black Belt
Black Belt
Bigs03

PostSubject: Re: Can we agree if Melendez beats Aoki that Japanese LWs are/have been overrated?   Can we agree if Melendez beats Aoki that Japanese LWs are/have been overrated? EmptyTue Apr 06, 2010 11:34 pm

captain organic wrote:
Bigs03 wrote:
LudoCain wrote:

well having watched penn of late, I would not be surprised if Penn went to the ground with Aoki, just for the challenge. I know Penn loves to stand, but against Aoki, I could see him going for a takedown early.

but to cain's point, I don't find it likely that a guy can improve one's standup from avg to something special at this stage of his career.

The crazy thing about Aoki is that he's been so successful in spite of such lackluster standup. I would argue that he doesn't really need to become an elite striker to remain an elite LW fighter. He will probably always take an occasional loss because an opponent can just overwhelm him ala Sakurai when Aoki never really got a chance to grapple before getting KTFO. But the fact that he has had such a great career beating great fighters and his standup isn't probably in the top 30 of his weight class is very impressive.
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Can we agree if Melendez beats Aoki that Japanese LWs are/have been overrated?   Can we agree if Melendez beats Aoki that Japanese LWs are/have been overrated? EmptyTue Apr 06, 2010 11:40 pm

much like jake shields.
Back to top Go down
thessy11
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostSubject: Re: Can we agree if Melendez beats Aoki that Japanese LWs are/have been overrated?   Can we agree if Melendez beats Aoki that Japanese LWs are/have been overrated? EmptyWed Apr 07, 2010 1:12 am

I agree with Wolfy but there's no reason to discuss it because everyone seems pretty much set in their opinion. Short of a UFC cross promotion there's no way to prove it.

My reason for saying "yes" is because I feel there is more evidence pointing that direction.

Gomi is the only Japanese champion from Pride and he's 0-2 (and 1 NC he lost) outside of Japan. Aoki is the only Japanese champion in Dream and he's 1-1 in Dream title fights.

There has never been a Japanese Champion in the UFC or WEC and most Japanese fighters who have fought in those organizations have done terrible.

Gomi 0-1
Kaz Nakamura 0-2
Yoshida 2-2 (wins against an 0-2 UFC fighter and a TUF reject)
Hironaka 1-3
Takaya 0-2
Miura 2-3
Gono 1-2
Chonan 1-3
Maeda 1-2

Akiyama at 1-0 (close split decision over Belcher) and Yushin Okami are the only Japanese fighters who have had any success in the major US organizations that I can recall.

Japanese fighters rarely cut weight and usually do not have much diversity in their training. Much like some Brazilian fighters, they often have inflated records from dominating no-names in minor local promotions or being fed cans for the purpose of being built up in a tournament. When is the last time you seen BJ, Florian, Edgar, or hell even Sherk, Tyson Griffin, etc. fighting a Clay French, Todd Moore, Brian Lo-A-Njoe, David Gardner, Melchor Manibusan, Luiz Firmino, Kultar Gill, etc.? Because those are some of the guys these top Japanese fighters like Aoki, Kawajiri have fought in the last couple years. Take away the "gimme" fights a lot of the highly regarded Japanese fighters are left with pretty mediocre records.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Can we agree if Melendez beats Aoki that Japanese LWs are/have been overrated?   Can we agree if Melendez beats Aoki that Japanese LWs are/have been overrated? Empty

Back to top Go down

Can we agree if Melendez beats Aoki that Japanese LWs are/have been overrated?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next