Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Aoki talks SF, DREAM and Melendez

Go down 
+2
LA
KingsOwn19
6 posters
AuthorMessage
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

Aoki talks SF, DREAM and Melendez Empty
PostSubject: Aoki talks SF, DREAM and Melendez   Aoki talks SF, DREAM and Melendez EmptyWed Mar 03, 2010 6:31 pm

On fighting in Strikeforce as a DREAM fighter:

Quote:
I'm thankful to have received a title match offer from Strikeforce. Honestly, I'm very happy right now. I won't be here for the events in March, April, and May even though I'm a central pillar of DREAM. Some may think that's not right and I thought about that too. But on NYE, DREAM proved that its the best in Asia. I think I'm the best in the world and certainly far and away the best in Japan. Should I limit myself to fight only in Japan? During this recession I think I'm the only one who can carry all the weight on my back and let it all hang out by taking on all comers globally.

I've always said that Japanese MMA is the best, so it's impossible for me not to go overseas. I want to go over (to the States) and decisively win to prove that DREAM's lightweight champion is the best in the world. If I lose I look at it as the end of DREAM so I don't take this challenge lightly. I'll put it all on the line and show what I'm made of. During PRIDE I said that I'm one in six billion. I want people to say, "Oh so this is the guy people have been talking about." I want to regain that "one in six billion" title in DREAM. Let's meet next time with a belt wrapped around my waist.

Aoki vs Melendez was actually scheduled to happen at PRIDE Bushido 13 (November 2006). However Melendez had to pull out due to injury. On Melendez as a fighter:

Quote:
It wasn't meant to be four years ago, but I think he is an A-level fighter and the Strikeforce champion. But I'm also an A-level fighter. I think the fight will be an awesome one with both fans from Japan and the US leaving happy.

On the rules differences in DREAM and Strikeforce:

Quote:
It will be my first time fighting in a cage, but no one's a bigger cage otaku than me. I feel that my skill set works equally well in both the ring and the cage. This is coming from a rabid sports fan, but DREAM uses 5 ropes, right? So your feet never go outside the ring and it's close to being a wall. I don't think there's much difference.

On not being allowed to wear his famous tights in the Strikeforce cage:

Quote:
I'll take them off! I don't have a choice, do I. I haven't been able to show off my legs lately so it should be good (laughter).

On using elbows:

Quote:
If there's instances where I can use my elbows, I will. It will be business as usual for me.

On going after the UFC champion:

Quote:
There's no chance that I'll go to the UFC. If the UFC wants to come to Japan, let's do it.

On fighting Kawajiri:

Quote:
I have my sight set on that. Aoki isn't leaving DREAM. I don't want people to misunderstand. This fight was an offer made to me through Sasahara-san. I plan on defending my DREAM belt when the time comes.
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

PostSubject: Re: Aoki talks SF, DREAM and Melendez   Aoki talks SF, DREAM and Melendez EmptyWed Mar 03, 2010 6:33 pm

I hope the tell Aoki that elbows are not allowed to grounded opponents
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva, Jose Aldo

PostSubject: Re: Aoki talks SF, DREAM and Melendez   Aoki talks SF, DREAM and Melendez EmptyWed Mar 03, 2010 7:24 pm

He want's to come to the States and prove Dream's LW Champ is the best in the World, but he's going o the wrong Organization.
Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Cung Le, BJ Penn, Mayhem, Chael Sonnen, Anthony Pettis

PostSubject: Re: Aoki talks SF, DREAM and Melendez   Aoki talks SF, DREAM and Melendez EmptyThu Mar 04, 2010 12:22 am

Yeah but he left the door open to a one fight deal for Dana. I am sure Dream and UFC could lend a fighter or two for an event. Dream gives us Aoki (IF he beats Gilbert) and UFC gives Dream Wandy and another fighter for one event. I don't see DW giving up a champion for a champion. Wandy alone ona Dream card would be worth the deal for Dream.
Back to top Go down
Bigs03
Black Belt
Black Belt
Bigs03

Favorite Fighter(s) : Fedor and GSP

PostSubject: Re: Aoki talks SF, DREAM and Melendez   Aoki talks SF, DREAM and Melendez EmptyThu Mar 04, 2010 12:41 am

Dana's not gonna be lending any fighters to anyone, no way that happens.

I like what Aoki said about the UFC. I don't think he's ducking anyone, he just doesn't want to fight outside of Japan and he knows if he signs with the UFC he will be severely limited in his options.

Aoki is great, I think he will put it on Gil. (even though I do like Gil I just don't think he can handle Aoki's submission skills)
Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

PostSubject: Re: Aoki talks SF, DREAM and Melendez   Aoki talks SF, DREAM and Melendez EmptyThu Mar 04, 2010 12:46 am

Bigs03 wrote:
Dana's not gonna be lending any fighters to anyone, no way that happens.

I like what Aoki said about the UFC. I don't think he's ducking anyone, he just doesn't want to fight outside of Japan and he knows if he signs with the UFC he will be severely limited in his options.

Aoki is great, I think he will put it on Gil. (even though I do like Gil I just don't think he can handle Aoki's submission skills)

Risk reward wouldn't be in DW's favor. BJ would murder Aoki though. I think BJ is better in every way than Aoki so that wouldn't be as much of a risk. I would be in favor of it, but I'm a fan.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

PostSubject: Re: Aoki talks SF, DREAM and Melendez   Aoki talks SF, DREAM and Melendez EmptyThu Mar 04, 2010 1:34 am

I could see the UFC lending fighters to break into Japan though. The real-life-hostile business-climate/yakuza/boogymen that keep the UFC out of Japan may eventually require buying off in such a way.

To successfully begin promoting in Japan, I could see the UFC entering a partnership with a promoter there now, maybe in a way not unlike the Abu Dabhi deal. It looks like it may come to that if the UFC wants to go there at any point in the future. There are rivalrys between promoters there could make it easier for an interest there to want to work with the UFC.

For the UFC to be successful in Japan I think it might be best achieved through the creation of a "UFC Japan" or a renewed Pride brand, or something along those lines, built with the Japanese.
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

PostSubject: Re: Aoki talks SF, DREAM and Melendez   Aoki talks SF, DREAM and Melendez EmptyThu Mar 04, 2010 3:05 am

Wolfgangsta wrote:
I could see the UFC lending fighters to break into Japan though. The real-life-hostile business-climate/yakuza/boogymen that keep the UFC out of Japan may eventually require buying off in such a way.

To successfully begin promoting in Japan, I could see the UFC entering a partnership with a promoter there now, maybe in a way not unlike the Abu Dabhi deal. It looks like it may come to that if the UFC wants to go there at any point in the future. There are rivalrys between promoters there could make it easier for an interest there to want to work with the UFC.

For the UFC to be successful in Japan I think it might be best achieved through the creation of a "UFC Japan" or a renewed Pride brand, or something along those lines, built with the Japanese.

Yakuza shmooza Wolf. However Dream handles it and UFC handles it, they could lend a few fighters to eachother. If there is somebody getting a cut from Dream then they would no better than to interfere with doing business with the UFC. It could not be a loss for Dream to have Wand and Big or lil Nog in an exchange for Aoki and another Dream fighter. It would help get some more fans in Japan into Dream. Dream isn't as big as Pride was, and I think it would get more people watching in Japan. In the long run any Japanese business man would be a fool to pass this up. The UFC has only one worry. That is if BJ Penn loses to Aoki in said trade. I would hope that the UFC knows BJ would beat that ass of Aoki's. Then UFC would have the top LW in the world. I can see it all now......
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Aoki talks SF, DREAM and Melendez   Aoki talks SF, DREAM and Melendez EmptyThu Mar 04, 2010 10:21 am

Dream lends their pillar to UFC to fight Penn, who would be a huge favorite, and the UFC lends a guy who is barely in the title mix? This while the UFC plans on hosting shows in Japan, and thus cutting into Dreams market share?

Highly doubtful.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Aoki talks SF, DREAM and Melendez   Aoki talks SF, DREAM and Melendez Empty

Back to top Go down

Aoki talks SF, DREAM and Melendez
Page 1 of 1