Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

No Mass: Georges St. Pierre would be 'the same size' if he moved up to middleweight

Go down 
+7
boomer sooner
killerofchicken
Ninja
bobbitt15
GDPofDRC
SOKO
Wolfgangsta
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage

No Mass: Georges St. Pierre would be 'the same size' if he moved up to middleweight Empty
PostSubject: No Mass: Georges St. Pierre would be 'the same size' if he moved up to middleweight   No Mass: Georges St. Pierre would be 'the same size' if he moved up to middleweight EmptyTue May 03, 2011 12:53 pm

http://www.mmamania.com/2011/5/3/2151258/no-mass-georges-st-pierre-would-be-the-same-size-if-he-moved-up-to

Because his trainer, Firas Zahabi, doesn't want any extra bulk messing with St. Pierre's mechanics.

Not that it matters in the wake of his five round unanimous decision win over Jake Shields at last Saturday night's (April 30) UFC 129 event in Toronto.

Following his one-eyed victory over the grappler who didn't grapple, the push for a potential "super fight" against middleweight champion Anderson Silva has lost some of its momentum in favor of another welterweight match-up against Strikeforce 170-pound champion Nick Diaz.

While logistically the fight may prove difficult to assemble, it's one that keeps St. Pierre at his natural weight and defending against a foul-mouthed fight monger like Diaz is a fight that sells itself.

And as Zahabi tells ESPN.com, the Canadian is in no "Rush" to pack on the pounds for greener pastures:

Star-divide

"He’ll be very small for a middleweight If I balloon him up to over 200 pounds, it won’t do any good. There’s a point where you can have too much muscle and it’s not a good thing. I think he’s got the maximum amount you can put on his body without it starting to be detrimental. If he goes up [to 185], I would recommend he stay the same size. You don’t want Georges to go in there bulked up and unable to perform in the mechanical way that he does. I’d probably push him up to 200 pounds for that fight. He still wouldn’t be as big as Anderson and it wouldn’t be natural, but it would be better. If you do get on Anderson Silva, having an extra pounds on you is a good extra 10 pounds."

St. Pierre has said he needs to undergo "a complete change of life" to take a fight at 185-pounds, which is where the Brazilian insisted on staying after cleaning out his division with a knockout win over Vitor Belfort back on Feb. 5.

Does a "St. Pierre vs Silva" super-fight require a catchweight for it to happen? Or will Yushin Okami make sure it never comes to fruition with an upset win in "Rio?"

And how many fans would rather see "St. Pierre vs. Diaz?"
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

No Mass: Georges St. Pierre would be 'the same size' if he moved up to middleweight Empty
PostSubject: Re: No Mass: Georges St. Pierre would be 'the same size' if he moved up to middleweight   No Mass: Georges St. Pierre would be 'the same size' if he moved up to middleweight EmptyTue May 03, 2011 1:26 pm

St. Pierre Diaz is not the mega event a fight between Silva and GSP would be. SUPER FIGHT please!
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
SOKO
Black Belt
Black Belt
SOKO

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Dragon, Kenflo, Hendo, Guida, Ace, Wand, Cain, Carwin, Foreman, Evander, Oscar

PostSubject: Re: No Mass: Georges St. Pierre would be 'the same size' if he moved up to middleweight   No Mass: Georges St. Pierre would be 'the same size' if he moved up to middleweight EmptyTue May 03, 2011 1:41 pm

spider is too big for george imo. gsp would get knocked out or chocked. Diaz has a better chance against gsp than gsp does against spider.
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

PostSubject: Re: No Mass: Georges St. Pierre would be 'the same size' if he moved up to middleweight   No Mass: Georges St. Pierre would be 'the same size' if he moved up to middleweight EmptyTue May 03, 2011 1:49 pm

GSP vs Spider trumps GSP vs DIaz easily. I still could consider GSP the slight favorite.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/v/skCV2L0c6K0
SOKO
Black Belt
Black Belt
SOKO

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Dragon, Kenflo, Hendo, Guida, Ace, Wand, Cain, Carwin, Foreman, Evander, Oscar

PostSubject: Re: No Mass: Georges St. Pierre would be 'the same size' if he moved up to middleweight   No Mass: Georges St. Pierre would be 'the same size' if he moved up to middleweight EmptyTue May 03, 2011 1:51 pm

If this fight ever goes down I would put my house on it. Chael is twice what gsp is on the ground and he still got caught. Only reason chael is better than gsp is due to size. 10 lbs is a huge difference plus a little extra testosterone doesnt hurt haha.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: No Mass: Georges St. Pierre would be 'the same size' if he moved up to middleweight   No Mass: Georges St. Pierre would be 'the same size' if he moved up to middleweight EmptyTue May 03, 2011 2:07 pm

GSP has much better sub defense than Sonnen and GSP wont stand with Silva but I think Silva is too big for GSP. If GSP can handle Silva on the floor and control him like he did Alves then GSP could win.
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: No Mass: Georges St. Pierre would be 'the same size' if he moved up to middleweight   No Mass: Georges St. Pierre would be 'the same size' if he moved up to middleweight EmptyTue May 03, 2011 2:27 pm

He clearly wants nothing to do with it. I question how much of it is concern over adding the weight and how much of it is wanting nothing to do with Anderson

Hopefully Nick has the goods to make a GSP fight entertaining. I'll be rooting for him
Back to top Go down
Ninja
Administrator
Administrator
Ninja

Favorite Fighter(s) : Anyone with the last name Rua or Emelianenko and Uncle Creepy

PostSubject: Re: No Mass: Georges St. Pierre would be 'the same size' if he moved up to middleweight   No Mass: Georges St. Pierre would be 'the same size' if he moved up to middleweight EmptyTue May 03, 2011 2:43 pm

GSP should never go to 185 even if Silva retired. He would lose to both Sonnen and Okami if he moved to 185 and I would bet money on it. I still like to see GSP vs Anderson because of the match up styles, but only at a catchweight of 178lb.

Last edited by NinjaRua/Fan on Tue May 03, 2011 2:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://ninjasplace.forumotion.net

PostSubject: Re: No Mass: Georges St. Pierre would be 'the same size' if he moved up to middleweight   No Mass: Georges St. Pierre would be 'the same size' if he moved up to middleweight EmptyTue May 03, 2011 2:44 pm

cluck cluck.
Back to top Go down
killerofchicken
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
killerofchicken

Favorite Fighter(s) : Mauricio Shogun Rua, BJ Penn, AXE MURDERER,Fedor, CroCop, Vitor Belfort, JDS

PostSubject: Re: No Mass: Georges St. Pierre would be 'the same size' if he moved up to middleweight   No Mass: Georges St. Pierre would be 'the same size' if he moved up to middleweight EmptyTue May 03, 2011 2:45 pm

Ive always stated that Ninja, he's too small for that division! agree that he would lose to both of those guys, if not more at MW
Back to top Go down
Ninja
Administrator
Administrator
Ninja

Favorite Fighter(s) : Anyone with the last name Rua or Emelianenko and Uncle Creepy

PostSubject: Re: No Mass: Georges St. Pierre would be 'the same size' if he moved up to middleweight   No Mass: Georges St. Pierre would be 'the same size' if he moved up to middleweight EmptyTue May 03, 2011 2:46 pm

Ali wrote:
cluck cluck.

It not even half as bad as Nick dodging Mayhem.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: No Mass: Georges St. Pierre would be 'the same size' if he moved up to middleweight   No Mass: Georges St. Pierre would be 'the same size' if he moved up to middleweight EmptyTue May 03, 2011 2:48 pm

Ninja\Rua/Fan wrote:
Ali wrote:
cluck cluck.

I'd said the same about that.

I just hate the fact George won't even test the waters, it's not like he's not got the frame to try it. Jake had success there.
Back to top Go down
Ninja
Administrator
Administrator
Ninja

PostSubject: Re: No Mass: Georges St. Pierre would be 'the same size' if he moved up to middleweight   No Mass: Georges St. Pierre would be 'the same size' if he moved up to middleweight EmptyTue May 03, 2011 2:54 pm

Ali wrote:
Ninja\Rua/Fan wrote:
Ali wrote:
cluck cluck.

I'd said the same about that.

I just hate the fact George won't even test the waters, it's not like he's not got the frame to try it. Jake had success there.

I know I am going to get for hate for this but, I think Shields wins at MW had alot to do with just good style match ups for him. Lawler's ground game is pretty bad. Hendo's defensive is not that good and he is known to gas. I think if Jake ever would have faced Jacare he would have been handled.

Last edited by NinjaRua/Fan on Tue May 03, 2011 3:15 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: No Mass: Georges St. Pierre would be 'the same size' if he moved up to middleweight   No Mass: Georges St. Pierre would be 'the same size' if he moved up to middleweight EmptyTue May 03, 2011 2:56 pm

Why should he test the waters and lose? His marketability would go down hill fast. He's the man right now and if anyone wants to test themselves then they go challenge him. He's a natural 170 pounder and should stay there.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: No Mass: Georges St. Pierre would be 'the same size' if he moved up to middleweight   No Mass: Georges St. Pierre would be 'the same size' if he moved up to middleweight EmptyTue May 03, 2011 3:05 pm

freakzilla wrote:
Why should he test the waters and lose? His marketability would go down hill fast. He's the man right now and if anyone wants to test themselves then they go challenge him. He's a natural 170 pounder and should stay there.

How would it ? nobody would lose respect for GSP if he lost to the current P4P king, great fighters take risks in their career.

GSP has dominated Welterweight to the point there's only rematches left for him, after the Diaz fight there is practically nobody left to face. George keeps saying he wants to be the ATG, moving to 185lb would help achieve that quest.

B.J went as high as 205lb in his youth.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: No Mass: Georges St. Pierre would be 'the same size' if he moved up to middleweight   No Mass: Georges St. Pierre would be 'the same size' if he moved up to middleweight EmptyTue May 03, 2011 3:13 pm

MMA in 2003 was completely different to MMA now. Penn wouldn't even go up to 185 these days. You keep saying why doesn't GSP move up to 185 yet I never see you asking foe Silva to move up to 205. It would be easier for Silva to move up than foe GSP to.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: No Mass: Georges St. Pierre would be 'the same size' if he moved up to middleweight   No Mass: Georges St. Pierre would be 'the same size' if he moved up to middleweight EmptyTue May 03, 2011 3:33 pm

freakzilla wrote:
MMA in 2003 was completely different to MMA now. Penn wouldn't even go up to 185 these days. You keep saying why doesn't GSP move up to 185 yet I never see you asking foe Silva to move up to 205. It would be easier for Silva to move up than foe GSP to.

Because Silva's already fought at 205lb twice, he's not cleaned out his division yet to move there permanently.

And Silva already moved from 170lb to 185lb, he's had success over three divisions, that's what I call a P4P fighter.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: No Mass: Georges St. Pierre would be 'the same size' if he moved up to middleweight   No Mass: Georges St. Pierre would be 'the same size' if he moved up to middleweight EmptyTue May 03, 2011 3:41 pm

What Silva did at 205 is the equivalent of GSP moving up to 185 and fighting Michael Bisping and Chris Leben. You want GSP to fight Silva who is the champ. Why doesn't Silva fight Jones?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: No Mass: Georges St. Pierre would be 'the same size' if he moved up to middleweight   No Mass: Georges St. Pierre would be 'the same size' if he moved up to middleweight EmptyTue May 03, 2011 3:43 pm

freakzilla wrote:
What Silva did at 205 is the equivalent of GSP moving up to 185 and fighting Michael Bisping and Chris Leben. You want GSP to fight Silva who is the champ. Why doesn't Silva fight Jones?

Jones is injured and has many contenders to face before money makers will be in his view.

Fans have been clamoring for a GSP vs Silva mega fight for awhile now, Bones has only appeared on the scene and hasn't even defended his belt.
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: No Mass: Georges St. Pierre would be 'the same size' if he moved up to middleweight   No Mass: Georges St. Pierre would be 'the same size' if he moved up to middleweight EmptyTue May 03, 2011 3:44 pm

How is moving up and fighting someone who held the belt in the best division in the sport and making a bigger assclown out of them than any other fighter in UFC history equivalent to Bisping or Leben?
Back to top Go down
boomer sooner
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, since way back

PostSubject: Re: No Mass: Georges St. Pierre would be 'the same size' if he moved up to middleweight   No Mass: Georges St. Pierre would be 'the same size' if he moved up to middleweight EmptyTue May 03, 2011 3:53 pm

Silva fought a former champ. NOt the same as fighting Leben or Bisping.

GSP doesn't strike mas a big MW. He's only 5'10". I don't know any successful 5'10" MWs. THat may sound trivial, but I do think there is something to it. Jake is at least 6'0" and looked a lot bigger to me then GSP. GSp also has a slight frame. Kind of a thin bone structure. I think he would be a really good MW, but not a great one. Reach andwrestlers cutting weight would be an issue.
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

Favorite Fighter(s) : Griffin, Franklin, Hendo, Sonnen, Wand, Lawler, Belfort, Pettis, Aldo, Mousasi

PostSubject: Re: No Mass: Georges St. Pierre would be 'the same size' if he moved up to middleweight   No Mass: Georges St. Pierre would be 'the same size' if he moved up to middleweight EmptyTue May 03, 2011 7:56 pm

Anderson is fighting Okami in August.

I want GSP vs Diaz in late early fall.

Then Anderson vs GSP in Nov/Dec/New Years Show.

During this The Penn/Fitch winner can fight the Kim/Condit winner for the next shot at GSP or for the vacant WW title.

If the fight between Anderson & GSP is even close you do an immediate rematch just because there is still no one at MW worth a damn.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: No Mass: Georges St. Pierre would be 'the same size' if he moved up to middleweight   No Mass: Georges St. Pierre would be 'the same size' if he moved up to middleweight EmptyTue May 03, 2011 11:40 pm

Silva fought a Forrest that was scared shitless before the fight started and ran away as soon as it finished. He was also on a big down slope and just beat Tito by split decision. If Silva wants to test himelf at LHW he needs to fight either Jones, Evans, Rua or Rampage.
Back to top Go down
cascade_run
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
cascade_run

PostSubject: Re: No Mass: Georges St. Pierre would be 'the same size' if he moved up to middleweight   No Mass: Georges St. Pierre would be 'the same size' if he moved up to middleweight EmptyWed May 04, 2011 12:18 am

GSP does not want that fight or he would've said those words not his trainer, his trainer says them so GSP can still save face. I agree GSP V Silva is a megafight, but lose that fight by absolute destruction like I feel would happen, and he does lose some of his legacy, and that matters to him. Set up Diaz V GSP after that see whose left.
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

PostSubject: Re: No Mass: Georges St. Pierre would be 'the same size' if he moved up to middleweight   No Mass: Georges St. Pierre would be 'the same size' if he moved up to middleweight EmptyWed May 04, 2011 12:50 am

freakzilla wrote:
Silva fought a Forrest that was scared shitless before the fight started and ran away as soon as it finished. He was also on a big down slope and just beat Tito by split decision. If Silva wants to test himelf at LHW he needs to fight either Jones, Evans, Rua or Rampage.

The Tito fight was after Anderson. Forrest was coming in 2-1 over his last 3 with wins over Rampage and Shogun and was handling Rashad until he got caught. That ain't no downslope. I'd venture to say he was scared shitless during the fight when he was throwing punches at someone with their hands down laughing at him, followed by getting hit with shit he didn't even see. But that's about it
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: No Mass: Georges St. Pierre would be 'the same size' if he moved up to middleweight   No Mass: Georges St. Pierre would be 'the same size' if he moved up to middleweight Empty

Back to top Go down

No Mass: Georges St. Pierre would be 'the same size' if he moved up to middleweight
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next