Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Walker-"Fighting again is not my goal"

Go down 
+5
Wolfgangsta
killerofchicken
Andrew the Raider King
bobbitt15
MMAEYES
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

Walker-"Fighting again is not my goal" - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Walker-"Fighting again is not my goal"   Walker-"Fighting again is not my goal" - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 31, 2011 5:49 pm

How is it no one can see him being on cards like this adds eyes to the entire card and raises the profile of the sport, making it better for everyone. What is all this "wasting a maincard slot" stuff? Big picture? Anyone?
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
killerofchicken
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
killerofchicken

Favorite Fighter(s) : Mauricio Shogun Rua, BJ Penn, AXE MURDERER,Fedor, CroCop, Vitor Belfort, JDS

PostSubject: Re: Walker-"Fighting again is not my goal"   Walker-"Fighting again is not my goal" - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 31, 2011 5:51 pm

Wolfgangsta wrote:
How is it no one can see him being on cards like this adds eyes to the entire card and raises the profile of the sport, making it better for everyone. What is all this "wasting a maincard slot" stuff? Big picture? Anyone?
IMO, when im watching the card id rather it not be Walker, but as i stated earlier I do think its for the better of MMA
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

PostSubject: Re: Walker-"Fighting again is not my goal"   Walker-"Fighting again is not my goal" - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 31, 2011 6:25 pm

Wolfgangsta wrote:

It brings eyes but doesn't raise the profile of the sport. What are those new eyes to think when the 48 year old is able to come in with only 1 fight and wreck house uncontested in one of a cards main fights? That MMA fighters aren't that good, overrated. Do they know anything about who he is fighting, nope, just that he is. An actual competitive contest, there is something big. It's time for that should he fight again. If a celeb is gonna come in and fight John Marsh, that brings eyes to the show and is great for people who are not MMA fans. Ain't why I've come to like the sport though.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/v/skCV2L0c6K0
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

PostSubject: Re: Walker-"Fighting again is not my goal"   Walker-"Fighting again is not my goal" - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 31, 2011 7:39 pm

In other words, from a big picture business standpoint, he is great; a great guy/ambassador/representative to competitive martial arts in part due to his pro sports celebrity, people rightly so want to see what he is doing in mma. From the perspective of this Hcore, I want more, by that I do mean in the cage, competition, not his fault or anything but it's what I value as a fan. AKA and SF though don't have to give more though for many said reasons.
Back to top Go down
Cu Bu
Black Belt
Black Belt
Cu Bu

Favorite Fighter(s) : AXE MURDERER

PostSubject: Re: Walker-"Fighting again is not my goal"   Walker-"Fighting again is not my goal" - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 31, 2011 11:28 pm

bobbitt15 wrote:
He owns his own company. I don't think he's hurting for cash

wow! really??
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Walker-"Fighting again is not my goal"   Walker-"Fighting again is not my goal" - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 01, 2011 4:21 am

GDPofDRC wrote:
I think it is where he his fighting these cans, being on the main card. Most would argue a main card fight should be a step above this type of spectacle. I hope he fights again. These guys on my radar for people I'd like to see him go with:
Peter Graham
Maxim Grishin
Devin Cole
Jake O'Brien

Those guys would fucking kill him to death.
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Walker-"Fighting again is not my goal"   Walker-"Fighting again is not my goal" - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 01, 2011 8:31 am

Walker was very noncommittal after his first fight as well so I wouldn't read too much into that last line.

I think it is a given that he fights again. And like he said it will prob be sooner then later. I hope it's vs a name. But to be fair the dude is 48 and is 2 fights into his MMA career(take a look at who Carwin fought in his 3rd pro fight), it's standard procedure to be fighting scrubs. But if it is going to be on TV then I would like a more freak show type scrub, and yes a washed up old fighter like Frye would be great, my interest level would be very high for that fight.
Back to top Go down
MMAEYES
Black Belt
Black Belt
MMAEYES

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, FEDOR, NICK DIAZ

PostSubject: Re: Walker-"Fighting again is not my goal"   Walker-"Fighting again is not my goal" - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 01, 2011 11:05 am

I mean no disrespect to Walker personally I just feel like his "mma venture" or whatever you want to call it has made more of a joke of my favorite sport than done any good for it. JMO I don't think any of the hype he has gathered is gonna increase any mma fighters pay check or increase respect given to mma fighters.
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

PostSubject: Re: Walker-"Fighting again is not my goal"   Walker-"Fighting again is not my goal" - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 01, 2011 12:54 pm

Wolfgangsta wrote:
GDPofDRC wrote:
I think it is where he his fighting these cans, being on the main card. Most would argue a main card fight should be a step above this type of spectacle. I hope he fights again. These guys on my radar for people I'd like to see him go with:
Peter Graham
Maxim Grishin
Devin Cole
Jake O'Brien

Those guys would fucking kill him to death.

Is that a bad thing? And if that's true it's further weight to the argument. Those dudes are either marginal journeymen, an M-1 medium prospect or an old kick boxer that just began MMA, these are the caliber guys Walker should have to face. The dudes he's fought, great for non mma fans, but a waste of my time.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Walker-"Fighting again is not my goal"   Walker-"Fighting again is not my goal" - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 01, 2011 7:45 pm

Getting Walker killed by those kinds of guys isn't a good thing. Give him competitive fights against scrubs. Not top 50 type guys or experienced fighters.
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

PostSubject: Re: Walker-"Fighting again is not my goal"   Walker-"Fighting again is not my goal" - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 01, 2011 8:36 pm

Competitive fights against scrubs, that's an oxymoron. There has been no semblance of competitiveness against the past two scrubs, what there has been is a hair of insight as to what potential there lies in this old athlete to fight. So, challenge him. Peter Graham is the only one of those guys within a sniff of top 50 and that's only because of the disappearance of the fighter once known as Aleks. Having Walker fight the likes of Ryan McGowan or Robert Rodriguez might be great for the Tony Cornheisers of the world to give praise and acknowledgment to MMA Herschal Walker, but what is that kind temporary appeasement supposed to do for me?
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Walker-"Fighting again is not my goal"   Walker-"Fighting again is not my goal" - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 02, 2011 2:16 am

Devin Cole would massacre him. Jake O'brien? Experienced wrestlers?
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Walker-"Fighting again is not my goal"   Walker-"Fighting again is not my goal" - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 02, 2011 2:16 am

No, he needs to fight Kimbo. Or Batista.
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

PostSubject: Re: Walker-"Fighting again is not my goal"   Walker-"Fighting again is not my goal" - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 02, 2011 6:26 pm

It's a sacrifice. Exchange integrity for a one shot of eyes and money, and it is a one shot, those non mma fans don't come back and view again very well, only when the famous returns do they in good numbers.

Good for business, but what good is that for us MMA fans who have propelled this sport to where it has gotten today without vesting interest into celebrities being granted these privileges. It's past that I'd like to think given the gradual progression of unaided interest over the past decade.

Giving him another breathing punching bag is like saying that where this thing is today, how it got here, isn't good enough, non mma fans need to be fooled at the expense of what real MMA fans know is legit.

Anyone who wants to fight should in some manner have to compete in accordance with their skill and not solely on a false pretenses of revenue. He's beat two guys easily, guys who are bottom of the barrel, so he has some kind of skill, it would be a waste to find out no more by protecting him again. Allow him the challenge he sought when first attempting this endeavor, an actual challenge. who he has fought is absolutely excusable, but we now still know so little. Maybe not top 100, that might be too much since we've had so little to measure him by, but not the Ryan McGowan or Robert Rodriguez's of the world.

As the real backbone and foundation of what built and sustains MMA, the fans who has, does, and will watch every time regardless of just about anything, that is what I want, and that is not an unreasonable request. I think a no-name, no-credibility fighter being squashed by him again will do no more good.

Kimbo, Batista, that's money, eye candy, but it can fool non mma fans into thinking MMA is something it's not too. Kimbo actually might be good. He has fought real fighters and real trainers have actually spent time teaching him. But it makes for less sport more Hollywood still I think. But I'll go with Kimbo, that's not a safe fight for him. At least in the first 2 minutes.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Walker-"Fighting again is not my goal"   Walker-"Fighting again is not my goal" - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Walker-"Fighting again is not my goal"
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2