Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Ben Askren interview: GSP is boring and UFC is his goal

Go down 
+2
Birdofthad
KingsOwn19
6 posters
AuthorMessage
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

Ben Askren interview: GSP is boring and UFC is his goal Empty
PostSubject: Ben Askren interview: GSP is boring and UFC is his goal   Ben Askren interview: GSP is boring and UFC is his goal EmptyFri Jul 23, 2010 12:15 am

Ben Askren (6-0) burst on to the MMA scene on Feb 7th 2009 and quickly caught the eye of Bellator Fighting Championship's match makers. They picked him to compete in their welterweight tournament where he'd have the chance to prove he's more then just a wrestler. His biggest test was Dan Hornbuckle, whom he defeated in a three round battle solidifying his shot at the undefeated Bellator Welterweight Champion Lyman Good. Ben true to his fans and the sport of MMA took some time away from his honeymoon to talk with BUDDHASPORT.COM

Nick Mirabella - Hey Ben, what's up how's training going?

Ben Askren - Actually I'm not really training, I'm on my honeymoon, but you know you, I've been working out a little bit, going to the Jiu Jitsu gym where I'm at and been lifting weights but nothing real serious .

NM - Ah man, you're on your honeymoon I didn't know that, congratulations

BA - Thanks, well we actually got married in April before the Bellator tournament started, but its cool we've been here for like three weeks so its a long one, I realize I have to still do some work while I'm here so its cool.

NM - Your obviously going to be fighting Lyman Good, what are your thoughts on him as an opponent and him having over a year off before you guys fight?

BA - I don't know if a year off would affect him or not I know it' s something that wouldn't affect me. So I'm just going to act like it's not going to affect him, never the less I feel he doesn't have the skills to go and stand up to me for 5 rounds and come close to wining the fight, I feel I'm going to put him on his back early and often and over whelm him with my grappling skills.

NM - Speaking about your grappling skills, many people still had you as an underdog in the Hornbuckle fight, mainly because of his experience and submission skills but you proved them wrong. Now was it easier to control the fight then you had anticipated or was it something you all ready knew you'd be able to do cause your wrestling is just that good?

BA - Yeah thats kind of what me and my Jiu Jitsu coach Kiko went over, you know with out his wrestling background he just relied on pure Jui Jitsu and there wasn't a lot of scrambling ability. We kind of figured it would be an easier fight control wise then Ryan Thomas, you know cause Ryan Thomas was such a pain in the ass to control on the ground he just moved so much and was so , we really figured we could control Hornbuckle a lot easier so thats what i did when when I went out there.

NM - I must say I was very impressed by the Hornbuckle fight, you just didn't stop, you kept pushing the pace and never let up for a second, you looked the same in the first round as the last.

BA - Yeah thats one of the things that helped me in wrestling, it's my level of conditioning and cardio, I just go go go, I get tired but I always feel like... if I'm tired the other guy has be ready to pass out.

NM - You've been training non stop for so long, with College then the Olympics, what keeps you motivated to train straight through to MMA with out break?

BA - I don't know, I just love it and there's really nothing I'd rather do. I never needed to be motivate by money or other people I alway enjoyed wrestling and now its fighting i enjoy.. Going to the gym and working out everyday is something I just really enjoy doing.

NM - You think your going back to the olympics for wrestling 2012?

BA - Ah I don't think so I'm done with wrestling.. well for the time being I'm done with wrestling I'm just going to focus on fighting... but you never know..

NM - What tips or advice do you have for any wrestlers who are trying to break in to MMA?

BA - To keep and open mind. A lot of wrestlers think they're too tough or too good to do something else, you know... I've always kept an open mind and I knew I was going to have to start at the bottom in Jiu Jitsu and work my way up and I got a lot better. And the same thing with striking , I know I can't just keep relying on my wresting, I know mixed marital arts is a different sport and I have to keep learning.

NM - Was it easer for you to excel at Jiu Jitsu cause your wrestling was so good?

BA - Yeah its was real easy for me and my style of wrestling kind of intertwined with Jiu Jitsu well and it made it ten times easier then your average guy who just started with Jiu Jitsu.

NM - Now in-terms of striking what do you do for it? And was it as easy for you to pick up, or is your wrestling so good that you that on the ground .....(Ben jumps in)

BA - No..... It was definitely a lot tougher for me to learn striking then it was to learn the ground game, but I'm getting a lot better. I have a great boxing coach and now that in not wrestling I have time to work more Muay Thai and just keep improving my striking.

NM - Who are your coaches helping you improve your technique?

BA - My boxing coach is Mario Francis out of the Lions Den in Scottsdale and my Jiu Jitsu coach is Kiko France, he just moved to the Lions Den in Scottsdale

NM - Who's your favorite fighter to watch?

BA - Favorite fighter, probably BJ Penn. Even though it kind of disappoints me that he doesn't always come as prepared as possible, but the intensity he brings to the cage is second to none.

NM - If you had one fighter retired or fighting doesn't matter what weight class or promotion they fight in who would you fight and why?

BA - Ummmm

NM - It can be anyone. Anyone as big a name as a Randy Couture or any one as small in size as a Jose Aldo.. Anyone?

BA - Um yeah, Jose Aldo is actually a good one. I don't feel like any one has tried to push his cardio and I don't feel like any one has pushed him hard. I was kind of disappointed that Urijah didn't employ a different strategy against him. You know, cause in the end people are either fast twitched or slow twitched and if they're real fast twitched they don't have good endurance and the way to wear those people out is to really grind on them.

NM - OK, I'm going through a few names at you tell me the first thing that pops in to your mind.

BA - OK, go ahead.

NM - Georges St. Pierre

BA - Boring (Hey pot, meet kettle)

NM - Lyman Good

BA - Gona get wooped!

NM - Megan Fox

BA - Don't know who she is. (laughs)

NM - UFC

BA - My goal.

NM - Bellator

BA - Great Organization.

NM - And one more thing before I let you go. Many people don't know, but your also a professional disc golfer too.

BA - Yeah... not really ( laughing) I tried playing pro last week and I got my ass wooped so I can't say I'm a pro yet.

NM - How did you get in to that sport?

BA - You know I started playing in college and loved it.

NM - Is it hard to play?

BA - No man I love it, I'm addicted

NM - I have to give it a try.

BA - Yeah it's a blast man and its free, you have to give it a shot.

NM - Yeah I will have to. Hey Ben thanks a lot for taking time out of your honeymoon for our readers, hope you enjoy that rest of it and good luck in your fight with Lymon.

BA - Thanks man, anytime.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: Ben Askren interview: GSP is boring and UFC is his goal   Ben Askren interview: GSP is boring and UFC is his goal EmptyFri Jul 23, 2010 3:28 am

fb friends with him what can i say ima dork, he seems nice and interactive with the fans

WAR BEN ASKREN
Back to top Go down
jimbojones1950
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostSubject: Re: Ben Askren interview: GSP is boring and UFC is his goal   Ben Askren interview: GSP is boring and UFC is his goal EmptyFri Jul 23, 2010 11:22 am

Askren is the type of guy who understands the game. He knows he isn't ready for the elite yet, and knows he has to improve his other areas outside of wrestling. Also, he knows that talking is part of getting fights signed and therefore, part of making money in this sport. He is likely going to make more controversial statements as his career continues. Once this guy learns to box adequately, he is going to be a tough 170 lbs'er to beat. However, he has to make a decision as to whether to bulk up a little bit or drop in weight. He wrestled at 163 in the 2008 olympics and at 163 the week before his fight with Hornbuckle. I wonder if he can make 155 or if its too low for him.
Back to top Go down
primetime21335

PostSubject: Re: Ben Askren interview: GSP is boring and UFC is his goal   Ben Askren interview: GSP is boring and UFC is his goal EmptyFri Jul 23, 2010 3:16 pm

GSP is boring as hell. I mean, he's so good that it's worth watching. But sometimes... it's just barely.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: Ben Askren interview: GSP is boring and UFC is his goal   Ben Askren interview: GSP is boring and UFC is his goal EmptyFri Jul 23, 2010 3:19 pm

primetime21335 wrote:
GSP is boring as hell. I mean, he's so good that it's worth watching. But sometimes... it's just barely.

Yeah but seeing Ben saying something like that reminds me of a pic I just saw
Ben Askren interview: GSP is boring and UFC is his goal Pot-kettle-black
Back to top Go down
primetime21335

PostSubject: Re: Ben Askren interview: GSP is boring and UFC is his goal   Ben Askren interview: GSP is boring and UFC is his goal EmptyFri Jul 23, 2010 3:20 pm

I don't see the problem. It's like getting a trophy for winning the tournament. And "forces them to fight each other"? Um, they can pretty much force them to fight each other anyway.
Back to top Go down
Andrew the Raider King
Red Belt
Red Belt
Andrew the Raider King

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael, Sexyama, Condit, Hendricks, Cowboy, Struve

PostSubject: Re: Ben Askren interview: GSP is boring and UFC is his goal   Ben Askren interview: GSP is boring and UFC is his goal EmptyFri Jul 23, 2010 5:17 pm

OUSOONERSOU wrote:
primetime21335 wrote:

Yeah but seeing Ben saying something like that reminds me of a pic I just saw
Ben Askren interview: GSP is boring and UFC is his goal Pot-kettle-black

lol! I am stealing that for FB. Too Funny!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ben Askren interview: GSP is boring and UFC is his goal   Ben Askren interview: GSP is boring and UFC is his goal Empty

Back to top Go down

Ben Askren interview: GSP is boring and UFC is his goal
Page 1 of 1