Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Business as usual in the UFC:

Go down 
+11
Primetyme199
GDPofDRC
Jamal
oggy420
Andrew the Raider King
OU
bobbitt15
killerofchicken
SOKO
Wolfgangsta
LA
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

Business as usual in the UFC: - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Business as usual in the UFC:   Business as usual in the UFC: - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 12, 2011 3:48 pm

GDPofDRC wrote:
Pretty sure we have threads for all of these fights already. What's the point?

LA trolling SF and taking veiled shots. You know the routine.
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: Business as usual in the UFC:   Business as usual in the UFC: - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 12, 2011 3:49 pm

Wolfgangsta wrote:
OU wrote:
Primetyme199 wrote:
The only thing with the tourney, which is great for us as fans, it destroys all the future title shots. Unless Overeem loses and you give him a rematch. Your basically giving all your best HW's a loss so how do you promote the next title shot?

Shane Del Rosario. His time is coming soon. You have 3 "reserve" fights, so 3 prospects coming off wins. You put those guys vs the other guys that did well in the tourny and BAM, title worthy challenger.

Three reserve fights?
http://mmajunkie.com/news/22063/three-reserve-bouts-complete-feb-12-strikeforce-fedor-vs-silva-main-card.mma
As MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) previously reported, Shane Del Rosario (10-0 MMA, 2-0 SF) vs. Lavar Johnson (15-3 MMA, 3-0 SF) and Ray Sefo (2-0 MMA, 1-0 SF) vs. Valentijn Overeem (28-25 MMA, 0-0 SF) are set.

Officials also announced a third reserve bout between Chad Griggs (9-1 MMA, 1-0 SF) and Gian Villante (7-1 MMA, 0-0 SF).
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Business as usual in the UFC:   Business as usual in the UFC: - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 12, 2011 3:49 pm

Never heard of the Griggs fight. Damn.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: Business as usual in the UFC:   Business as usual in the UFC: - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 12, 2011 3:50 pm

Wolfgangsta wrote:
Never heard of the Griggs fight. Damn.

Just added today, I think.
Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Cung Le, BJ Penn, Mayhem, Chael Sonnen, Anthony Pettis

PostSubject: Re: Business as usual in the UFC:   Business as usual in the UFC: - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 12, 2011 3:54 pm

Primetyme199 wrote:
The only thing with the tourney, which is great for us as fans, it destroys all the future title shots. Unless Overeem loses and you give him a rematch. Your basically giving all your best HW's a loss so how do you promote the next title shot?

SF doesn't care how many times you have been beaten when it comes to title shots.
Back to top Go down
Ludo
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
Ludo

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Prodigy, The Great, Viking Dahmer, The Phenom

PostSubject: Re: Business as usual in the UFC:   Business as usual in the UFC: - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 12, 2011 4:31 pm

Ridiculous.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: Business as usual in the UFC:   Business as usual in the UFC: - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 12, 2011 4:32 pm

god LA your hate for strikeforce and UFC fandom is sad at times
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Business as usual in the UFC:   Business as usual in the UFC: - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 12, 2011 8:05 pm

Are there LA posts deleted or something
Back to top Go down
Andrew the Raider King
Red Belt
Red Belt
Andrew the Raider King

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael, Sexyama, Condit, Hendricks, Cowboy, Struve

PostSubject: Re: Business as usual in the UFC:   Business as usual in the UFC: - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 12, 2011 8:43 pm

No offense Bird, I didn't see anything that LA has said that makes you think he is anti-SF. Plus I don't think anybody on this board sees anything but positive on this SF tourney. I may question the bracket set-up, which I think sucks, but it doesn't mean the tourney is a bad idea.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Business as usual in the UFC:   Business as usual in the UFC: - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 12, 2011 9:19 pm

The brackets make the most sense. All the fights they needed to do anyway and then a legit contender created out of the other side.
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva, Jose Aldo

PostSubject: Re: Business as usual in the UFC:   Business as usual in the UFC: - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 13, 2011 4:02 am

Where's the hate, just pointing out the obvious....
Back to top Go down
MMAEYES
Black Belt
Black Belt
MMAEYES

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, FEDOR, NICK DIAZ

PostSubject: Re: Business as usual in the UFC:   Business as usual in the UFC: - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 13, 2011 10:08 am

LA wrote:

Your opinion lol
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Business as usual in the UFC:   Business as usual in the UFC: - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 13, 2011 10:25 am

LA wrote:

We be a little slow in Oklahoma(as you know). What was so obvious? That UFC has a couple decent HW matchups that was probably made because of the recent SF tourney? That tourney is so much better then those matchups it isn't even funny.
Back to top Go down
Andrew the Raider King
Red Belt
Red Belt
Andrew the Raider King

PostSubject: Re: Business as usual in the UFC:   Business as usual in the UFC: - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 13, 2011 10:35 am

It makes sense? Off the top of my head 2 of the fighters in the bracket are on multi-fight losing streaks and one of those twos last victory was against the other! Quit pumping shit up to make the chunky Russian look better, it makes you look stupid.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Business as usual in the UFC:   Business as usual in the UFC: - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 13, 2011 10:42 am

Andrew the Raider King wrote:
It makes sense? Off the top of my head 2 of the fighters in the bracket are on multi-fight losing streaks and one of those twos last victory was against the other! Quit pumping shit up to make the chunky Russian look better, it makes you look stupid.

I don't think you are following Wolf. Werdum vs Reem is a fight that is going to really unify the title. Fedor was the real Champ and Reem was the paper champ. So now the real champ Werdum will unify the SF title. So let's pretend this isn't a tourney for a second. Werdum vs Reem would be the next logical Championship fight. Winner of Fedor vs Bigfoot would be the logical next opponet for the winner. Now the other side of the bracket will simply give us a 3rd person worthy of a title shot. Let's just assume for a min that Barnett beats Rogers and then AA, he is now in position to challenge for the title.
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

PostSubject: Re: Business as usual in the UFC:   Business as usual in the UFC: - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 13, 2011 10:44 am

MMAEYES wrote:
LA wrote:

Your opinion lol

It isn't business as usual for the UFC? they don't put together great matchups the majority of the time and setup fights which naturally lead to Title shots?
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Business as usual in the UFC:   Business as usual in the UFC: - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 13, 2011 10:46 am

LA wrote:
MMAEYES wrote:
LA wrote:

Your opinion lol

It isn't business as usual for the UFC? they don't put together great matchups the majority of the time and setup fights which naturally lead to Title shots?

OK now I get your point. My bad bro.
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

PostSubject: Re: Business as usual in the UFC:   Business as usual in the UFC: - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 13, 2011 10:48 am

Even if you want to lookat it from the context of 4 fights vs 4 fights it could be debated.

And that unifying title shit is complete nonsense.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Business as usual in the UFC:   Business as usual in the UFC: - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 13, 2011 10:51 am

LA wrote:
Even if you want to lookat it from the context of 4 fights vs 4 fights it could be debated.

And that unifying title shit is complete nonsense.

If Fedor would have fought Reem right away would that not have unified the title? As it was Fedor was the real HW Champ of SF. Werdum is now the real Champion IMO, but Reem holds the belt. So the winner of that fight will be the true SF HW Champion, that title will finally mean something.
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

PostSubject: Re: Business as usual in the UFC:   Business as usual in the UFC: - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 13, 2011 10:53 am

Talking to the wrong guy with that line of thought, I don't buy those arguments.
Back to top Go down
Andrew the Raider King
Red Belt
Red Belt
Andrew the Raider King

PostSubject: Re: Business as usual in the UFC:   Business as usual in the UFC: - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 13, 2011 10:54 am

That makes sense OU. It really does and it makes the SF people look really smart, from that aspect. But at that point it is not really a tourney. A real tourney means #1 fights #8, #2 vs #7. However, I agree regardless of the shitty bracket set-up, it is a great promotional tool, I can't argue with that. I do not recognize the WAMMA Championship belt however and no reasonable person does, so I do not recognize Fedor as SF Champion, I do agree that Overeem is something of a paper champion, but I think he would be awesome if he dedicated himself to MMA fulltime and what makes him a paper champ is completely Scott Coker's fault.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Business as usual in the UFC:   Business as usual in the UFC: - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 13, 2011 10:59 am

That makes sense OU. It really does and it makes the SF people look really smart, from that aspect. But at that point it is not really a tourney. A real tourney means #1 fights #8, #2 vs #7. However, I agree regardless of the shitty bracket set-up, it is a great promotional tool, I can't argue with that. I do not recognize the WAMMA Championship belt however and no reasonable person does, so I do not recognize Fedor as SF Champion, I do agree that Overeem is something of a paper champion, but I think he would be awesome if he dedicated himself to MMA fulltime and what makes him a paper champ is completely Scott Coker's fault.

I agree it's not really a tourney setup. I think calling it a "tourney" is just a way of jazzing it up a little bit. Making it sound flashier then it really is.
Even if you don't recognize Fedor as Champion of any kind, would you acknowledge he was the highest ranked SF HW at the time of his loss to Werdum? He was considered to be the best HW on SF's roster at the time of his loss.
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

PostSubject: Re: Business as usual in the UFC:   Business as usual in the UFC: - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 13, 2011 11:02 am

OU wrote:

I agree it's not really a tourney setup. I think calling it a "tourney" is just a way of jazzing it up a little bit. Making it sound flashier then it really is.
Even if you don't recognize Fedor as Champion of any kind, would you acknowledge he was the highest ranked SF HW at the time of his loss to Werdum? He was considered to be the best HW on SF's roster at the time of his loss.

I fucking love this post
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: Business as usual in the UFC:   Business as usual in the UFC: - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 13, 2011 12:24 pm

Lol +1. That's exactly what I said the other day and was being labeled as a hater for pointing out something so obvious
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

PostSubject: Re: Business as usual in the UFC:   Business as usual in the UFC: - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 13, 2011 12:50 pm

Seedings don't make a tournament, structure does. Four fights are happening, the structure has already dictated the next progression and so on to the finals, that is a tournament. Did Pride never have a tournament GP? What were those official seedings? To have a seeding here there would have to be some form of officially recognized fighter rankings, there is not, the closest thing to that is the Ninja's Place Divisional and Pound 4 Pound Rankings, and even that is proving to be to daunting a task for many to partake in. The path of the bracket pairings caters to the logical line of title fights that should be happening. The promotional title is not on hiatus for however long the GP goes on. It is active and in turn is merged with the Lineal Title, regardless of ones faith in it.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/v/skCV2L0c6K0
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Business as usual in the UFC:   Business as usual in the UFC: - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Business as usual in the UFC:
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next