Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

HOW MANY BEAT RIDDICK

Go down 
+6
4445Frank
flapanther2001
SlickMoneyXL
jz_hova
Birdofthad
marbleheadmaui
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

Favorite Fighter(s) : Arguello, Finito, Duran, Saad Muhammad

HOW MANY BEAT RIDDICK Empty
PostSubject: HOW MANY BEAT RIDDICK   HOW MANY BEAT RIDDICK EmptyMon Oct 11, 2010 2:25 am

I was watching Riddick Bowe-Evander Holyfield I last night on Ringside and it struck me just how formidable Bowe was for a very short time. Evander was probably at or near his best for only 3-4 fights. But on those nights Riddick Bowe was a full load. 6'5, 230-235, an 80+ reach, good puncher with both hands, decent stamina, good balance, good feet and for those 3-4 fights a really tough guy with a good chin.

So then I started thinking how may guys in history on their best night beat Bowe on his best night? As I thought about it the list was shorter than I would have thought.

I don't think anyone pre-Dempsey beats him under something like current rules. If they were fights to the finish with five ounce gloves? Jim Jeffries and Jack Johnson both might wear him out. I'm not sure Bowe ever had the discipline to get into the kind of condition necessary for that kind of fight.

Jack Dempsey-If Evander could hit and hurt Bowe, Dempsey hits, hurts and finishes him. Dempsey's height and reach are similar to Evander's and I suspect he hit harder.

Joe Louis-G'night Riddick.

Sonny Liston-I think this would have been a great fight. I think Liston's reach and jab can keep Bowe backed off and a little puzzled. Liston was accustomed to being the bigger man in the ring, but drilling a pre-gunshot Cleveland Williams gives one reason to think he can handle a bigger man.

Muhammad Ali-Too smart and too fast.

Joe Frazier-I don't think Riddick can take him out early and when Joe turns up the heat? Buh-bye.

Now don't think I'm too crazy. I could make a case for Rocky Marciano, Larry Holmes, Young George Foreman and Vitaly Klitschko. But I think too small, maybe, not fit enough and just not durable enough is where I really come out.

The last category is are there lower tier heavyweights who might have some kind of edge that let's them win on a "styles make fights" approach. Max Baer's punching always give him a chance...was Walcott that much smarter...Has Wlad really perfected his style...was Ron Lyle that tough...is the Buster Douglas that beat Tyson complete enough...

Am I nuts? Who do you guys think beats Riddick Bowe on one of Comet Riddick's few top nights?

Last edited by marbleheadmaui on Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: HOW MANY BEAT RIDDICK   HOW MANY BEAT RIDDICK EmptyMon Oct 11, 2010 2:59 am

great thread pretty much agree on all could see Riddick beating Liston

heres the thing, he Riddick that beat Evander that first fight was a scary good Heavyweight that gives anyone trouble on that night
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: HOW MANY BEAT RIDDICK   HOW MANY BEAT RIDDICK EmptyMon Oct 11, 2010 3:17 am

I think you're overating him. Lennox Lewis beat him as an amateur and would've as a pro. Tyson beats him also.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: HOW MANY BEAT RIDDICK   HOW MANY BEAT RIDDICK EmptyMon Oct 11, 2010 8:43 am

freakzilla316ftw wrote:
I think you're overating him. Lennox Lewis beat him as an amateur and would've as a pro. Tyson beats him also.
Tyson would get Killed by Bowe. Tyson was/is so overrated.
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

PostSubject: Re: HOW MANY BEAT RIDDICK   HOW MANY BEAT RIDDICK EmptyMon Oct 11, 2010 12:37 pm

soonermark890 wrote:
freakzilla316ftw wrote:

I agree. If 6'5 Mitch Greene and 6'5 Tony Tucker can go the distance and 6'4 Buster Douglas takes him out? 6'5 Riddick on his best night takes care of him too.
Back to top Go down
jz_hova
White Belt
White Belt

PostSubject: Re: HOW MANY BEAT RIDDICK   HOW MANY BEAT RIDDICK EmptyMon Oct 11, 2010 12:41 pm

soonermark890 wrote:
freakzilla316ftw wrote:

you bash Tyson but praise Bowe? Bowe didn't fight anyone other than Holyfield. There were plenty of fights out there mercer, Foreman, Moorer etc.. Bowe beat holy and went and fought Jessie Fergason for crying out loud. Threw the title in the trash instead of fighting lewis.
Back to top Go down
SlickMoneyXL
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
SlickMoneyXL

Favorite Fighter(s) : Miguel Cotto, Efrain Escudero

PostSubject: Re: HOW MANY BEAT RIDDICK   HOW MANY BEAT RIDDICK EmptyMon Oct 11, 2010 12:45 pm

Golota had Bowe beat both times also. I dont think Bowe would fare to great against past top heavyweights.
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

PostSubject: Re: HOW MANY BEAT RIDDICK   HOW MANY BEAT RIDDICK EmptyMon Oct 11, 2010 12:47 pm

SlickMoneyXL wrote:
Golota had Bowe beat both times also. I dont think Bowe would fare to great against past top heavyweights.

Yeah but that's not the Bowe in question. That was Bowe3-4 years after the guy I'm talking about and weighing aboiut 250.
Back to top Go down
SlickMoneyXL
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
SlickMoneyXL

Favorite Fighter(s) : Miguel Cotto, Efrain Escudero

PostSubject: Re: HOW MANY BEAT RIDDICK   HOW MANY BEAT RIDDICK EmptyMon Oct 11, 2010 12:55 pm

True. Bowe on his best night would easily beat Buster. Maybe Ron Lyle (would be great tho). I think Wlad would get a decision.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: HOW MANY BEAT RIDDICK   HOW MANY BEAT RIDDICK EmptyMon Oct 11, 2010 12:59 pm

jz_hova wrote:
soonermark890 wrote:
freakzilla316ftw wrote:

you bash Tyson but praise Bowe? Bowe didn't fight anyone other than Holyfield. There were plenty of fights out there mercer, Foreman, Moorer etc.. Bowe beat holy and went and fought Jessie Fergason for crying out loud. Threw the title in the trash instead of fighting lewis.
I agree. But Tyson couldnt even beat Holy. So what does that say about that matchup?
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

PostSubject: Re: HOW MANY BEAT RIDDICK   HOW MANY BEAT RIDDICK EmptyMon Oct 11, 2010 1:02 pm

SlickMoneyXL wrote:
True. Bowe on his best night would easily beat Buster. Maybe Ron Lyle (would be great tho). I think Wlad would get a decision.

One thing about Ron Lyle. He was a MAN in the ring wasn't he? I think Riddick could do something nobody's done in three years. He could REACH Wlad.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: HOW MANY BEAT RIDDICK   HOW MANY BEAT RIDDICK EmptyMon Oct 11, 2010 1:03 pm

soonermark890 wrote:
jz_hova wrote:
soonermark890 wrote:
freakzilla316ftw wrote:

I agree. But Tyson couldnt even beat Holy. So what does that say about that matchup?

Tyson from the 80's is way better than the Tyson that fought Holyfield.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: HOW MANY BEAT RIDDICK   HOW MANY BEAT RIDDICK EmptyMon Oct 11, 2010 1:42 pm

freakzilla316ftw wrote:
soonermark890 wrote:
jz_hova wrote:
soonermark890 wrote:
freakzilla316ftw wrote:

Tyson from the 80's is way better than the Tyson that fought Holyfield.
Tyson of the 80's had never fought any big time HW. Spinks is the best he ever beat and thats sad. He was beat by Buster in his prime. Lets face it Tyson had problems with big good HW's.
Back to top Go down
flapanther2001
Orange Belt
Orange Belt
flapanther2001

Favorite Fighter(s) : Aaron Pryor, Rocky Marciano, Arturo Gatti

PostSubject: Re: HOW MANY BEAT RIDDICK   HOW MANY BEAT RIDDICK EmptyMon Oct 11, 2010 2:16 pm

I've always been a big fan of Bowe's style & abilities. That's probably why I got so mad at him for flushing his career down the proverbial drain. Before he ate himself out of shape, he was as formidable a heavy as anyone. I still think a prime Bowe beats most heavyweights.
Back to top Go down
4445Frank
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: HOW MANY BEAT RIDDICK   HOW MANY BEAT RIDDICK EmptyMon Oct 11, 2010 4:39 pm

Ironically, I think that pre - Manny Steward "Lennox Lewis" doesn't defeat the Riddick Bowe who beat Holyfield. When Rock Newman ordered Bowe to give up the WBC crown, it was the beginning of the end for him. He became uninspired and was often out of shape. Lewis with Steward beats Bowe and in my opinion, every HW of his era.
Back to top Go down
flapanther2001
Orange Belt
Orange Belt
flapanther2001

Favorite Fighter(s) : Aaron Pryor, Rocky Marciano, Arturo Gatti

PostSubject: Re: HOW MANY BEAT RIDDICK   HOW MANY BEAT RIDDICK EmptyMon Oct 11, 2010 5:25 pm

Rock Newman ruined Bowe. If I had him in my crosshairs, I'd pull the trigger.
Back to top Go down
Diego408
Green Belt
Green Belt
Diego408

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Marquez Brothers, Robert Guerrero, Abner Mares, Andre Ward, Sergio Martinez, Devon Alexander, Jose Benavidez Jr and Nick Diaz

PostSubject: Re: HOW MANY BEAT RIDDICK   HOW MANY BEAT RIDDICK EmptyMon Oct 11, 2010 5:44 pm

soonermark890 wrote:
freakzilla316ftw wrote:
Tyson is/was overrated, but he still crushes the more overrated Bowe. Lennox would have ate Bowe for lunch, it was so obvious Bowe was scared of death of Lewis.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: HOW MANY BEAT RIDDICK   HOW MANY BEAT RIDDICK EmptyMon Oct 11, 2010 7:18 pm

Bowe kills any Tyson no question he was all wrong for Tyson, big, long jab, INSIDE FIGHTER Mike would have tried to lay on Riddicks chest and been destroyed for it

nobody say Tyson was a great inside fighter or you will get pimp smacked
Back to top Go down
4445Frank
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: HOW MANY BEAT RIDDICK   HOW MANY BEAT RIDDICK EmptyMon Oct 11, 2010 9:15 pm

Birdofthad wrote:
Bowe kills any Tyson no question he was all wrong for Tyson, big, long jab, INSIDE FIGHTER Mike would have tried to lay on Riddicks chest and been destroyed for it

I agree Bird. The fact that we even have to wonder about it is a testiment to Tyson's fear of every big guy who wasn't scared of him. The fight should've taken place just as the Foreman - Tyson fight should've taken place.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: HOW MANY BEAT RIDDICK   HOW MANY BEAT RIDDICK EmptyMon Oct 11, 2010 10:01 pm

Birdofthad wrote:

+1
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: HOW MANY BEAT RIDDICK   HOW MANY BEAT RIDDICK EmptyMon Oct 11, 2010 10:49 pm

Bowe was too scared to fight Lewis, do you think he would've had the balls to fight Tyson?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: HOW MANY BEAT RIDDICK   HOW MANY BEAT RIDDICK EmptyMon Oct 11, 2010 11:06 pm

freakzilla316ftw wrote:
Bowe was too scared to fight Lewis, do you think he would've had the balls to fight Tyson?
Would he fight a guy who never beat a great HW? HELL YES. Tyson is overrated. He never beat a great HW.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: HOW MANY BEAT RIDDICK   HOW MANY BEAT RIDDICK EmptyMon Oct 11, 2010 11:30 pm

soonermark890 wrote:
freakzilla316ftw wrote:
Would he fight a guy who never beat a great HW? HELL YES. Tyson is overrated. He never beat a great HW.

I'm not asking who he beat. I was saying that Bowe didn't have the balls to fight Lewis. If you're too scared to fight Lewis then you're too scared to fight Tyson. Bowe would've lost the fight against Tyson before he even made it to the ring.
Back to top Go down
WinstonSmith
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
WinstonSmith

Favorite Fighter(s) : Marvin Hagler,Ben Henderson,Rich Franklin,Clay Guida

PostSubject: Re: HOW MANY BEAT RIDDICK   HOW MANY BEAT RIDDICK EmptyMon Oct 11, 2010 11:48 pm

freakzilla316ftw wrote:

Didn't Bowe "wash out" of the Marine Corps a couple weeks into boot camp?The guy was soft and undisciplined.
Back to top Go down
WinstonSmith
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
WinstonSmith

Favorite Fighter(s) : Marvin Hagler,Ben Henderson,Rich Franklin,Clay Guida

PostSubject: Re: HOW MANY BEAT RIDDICK   HOW MANY BEAT RIDDICK EmptyMon Oct 11, 2010 11:53 pm

WinstonSmith wrote:
freakzilla316ftw wrote:

Didn't Bowe "wash out" of the Marine Corps a couple weeks into boot camp?The guy was soft and undisciplined.

Pardon my error,he only lasted eleven days.Even Leon Spinks had the balls and the brains to graduate Marine Boot Camp.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: HOW MANY BEAT RIDDICK   HOW MANY BEAT RIDDICK Empty

Back to top Go down

HOW MANY BEAT RIDDICK
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next