Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

the spider wants to move up to HW

Go down 
+6
KingsOwn19
Wolfgangsta
LTFG
NoRegret
captain organic
SOKO
10 posters
AuthorMessage
SOKO
Black Belt
Black Belt
SOKO

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Dragon, Kenflo, Hendo, Guida, Ace, Wand, Cain, Carwin, Foreman, Evander, Oscar

the spider wants to move up to HW Empty
PostSubject: the spider wants to move up to HW   the spider wants to move up to HW EmptyThu Aug 20, 2009 4:25 pm

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/josh_gross/08/20/anderson.silva.heavyweight/index.html?eref=T1
he doesnt want machida and is tired of the mw division so why the hell not. thoughts
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: the spider wants to move up to HW   the spider wants to move up to HW EmptyThu Aug 20, 2009 4:48 pm

word up, there really isn't anything interesting at 185, and he and Machida are about 6 months away from clobbering all the 205ers.

I really don't think he'd fair well with the wrestlers up there, Cain included(I see no shot vs Brock(at this point anyway)), but the standup guys would all be cool matchups.

And one has to figure the ultimate goal is Fedor.

I wonder if part of his plan here is to have the UFC take away his 185 belt, so that he can jump ship after his contract, to fight Fedor, if Fedor does not come to the UFC first of coarse.
Back to top Go down
NoRegret
Red Belt
Red Belt
NoRegret

Favorite Fighter(s) : Anyone that comes to FIGHT!

PostSubject: Re: the spider wants to move up to HW   the spider wants to move up to HW EmptyThu Aug 20, 2009 4:49 pm

He'd be a pretty small heavyweight....
Back to top Go down
LTFG
Brown Belt
Brown Belt
LTFG

Favorite Fighter(s) : Wolfy

PostSubject: Re: the spider wants to move up to HW   the spider wants to move up to HW EmptyThu Aug 20, 2009 5:22 pm

He could take out most HW's, but the big wreslters would just take him down and not let him move. He wouldn't have the size or strength to compete with those guys. A bad idea... If he just waits a few months Shogun or Page will topple the seemingly indestructable Machida and he can have a go with one of them...
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

PostSubject: Re: the spider wants to move up to HW   the spider wants to move up to HW EmptyThu Aug 20, 2009 6:05 pm

LikesToFightGuy wrote:
He could take out most HW's, but the big wreslters would just take him down and not let him move. He wouldn't have the size or strength to compete with those guys. A bad idea... If he just waits a few months Shogun or Page will topple the seemingly indestructable Machida and he can have a go with one of them...

Rampage had a better shot to beat Shogun in Pride that night than he does Machida. If there was ever a fight where there was literally no way someone could win, it was this.
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
NoRegret
Red Belt
Red Belt
NoRegret

PostSubject: Re: the spider wants to move up to HW   the spider wants to move up to HW EmptyThu Aug 20, 2009 6:34 pm

nobody is gonna beat Machida for a very....VERY long time.
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

PostSubject: Re: the spider wants to move up to HW   the spider wants to move up to HW EmptyThu Aug 20, 2009 6:37 pm

I know everybody is on the Silva nuthug wagon, and to an extent, i am too. But i truly believe he does not make it too far as a HW.
Back to top Go down
Ninja
Administrator
Administrator
Ninja

Favorite Fighter(s) : Anyone with the last name Rua or Emelianenko and Uncle Creepy

PostSubject: Re: the spider wants to move up to HW   the spider wants to move up to HW EmptyThu Aug 20, 2009 6:39 pm

Back to top Go down
https://ninjasplace.forumotion.net
NoRegret
Red Belt
Red Belt
NoRegret

PostSubject: Re: the spider wants to move up to HW   the spider wants to move up to HW EmptyThu Aug 20, 2009 6:39 pm

Ninja\Rua/Fan wrote:
Mir vs Spider?

http://www.mmabay.co.uk/Story%2002387.html

Silva would KO him within the first 2 minutes of the 1st round....
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

PostSubject: Re: the spider wants to move up to HW   the spider wants to move up to HW EmptyThu Aug 20, 2009 6:40 pm

Mir via decision
Back to top Go down
CainVelasquezFan
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
CainVelasquezFan

Favorite Fighter(s) : Cain Velasquez and Diaz Brothers, Urijah Faber, Gilbert Melendez and Jon Jones

PostSubject: Re: the spider wants to move up to HW   the spider wants to move up to HW EmptyThu Aug 20, 2009 7:25 pm

ummm we've see what a smaller heavyweight that can strike can do to Mir.just go ask Brandon Vera

and last time i checked Anderson>Vera
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

PostSubject: Re: the spider wants to move up to HW   the spider wants to move up to HW EmptyThu Aug 20, 2009 7:35 pm

CainVelasquezFan wrote:
ummm we've see what a smaller heavyweight that can strike can do to Mir.just go ask Brandon Vera

Mir would kill Vera now. Frank's striking is a lot better now, plus at that time he was still not back in form from returning from the motorcycle accident. That's a tough fight for Anderson, especially since he never fights HW.

I would not use MMA math here, especially since there is an obvious difference between Mir returning from a career threatening accident in 2006 losing to Vera and Cruz, and when he came back after a 10 month layoff in 2007 and beating Hardonk, Lesnar and Nog consecutivley.
Back to top Go down
LTFG
Brown Belt
Brown Belt
LTFG

Favorite Fighter(s) : Wolfy

PostSubject: Re: the spider wants to move up to HW   the spider wants to move up to HW EmptyThu Aug 20, 2009 8:06 pm

KingsOwn19 wrote:
CainVelasquezFan wrote:

Mir would kill Vera now. Frank's striking is a lot better now, plus at that time he was still not back in form from returning from the motorcycle accident. That's a tough fight for Anderson, especially since he never fights HW.

I would not use MMA math here, especially since there is an obvious difference between Mir returning from a career threatening accident in 2006 losing to Vera and Cruz, and when he came back after a 10 month layoff in 2007 and beating Hardonk, Lesnar and Nog consecutivley.

Whoa... There is no room in this forum for logic, sensibility and or intelligent opinions. The audacity...
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: the spider wants to move up to HW   the spider wants to move up to HW EmptyFri Aug 21, 2009 12:41 am

Meh. Mir is and always has been over rated and would get murked by the Truth once again. Mir would be destroyed by Anderson Silva.
Back to top Go down
Andrew the Raider King
Red Belt
Red Belt
Andrew the Raider King

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael, Sexyama, Condit, Hendricks, Cowboy, Struve

PostSubject: Re: the spider wants to move up to HW   the spider wants to move up to HW EmptySun Aug 23, 2009 9:50 pm

I don't think Mir would be destroyed, in a Forrest Griffin way, but I do think he would get beat. Unless he could somehow catch Silva and put him on the ground and even then it would be a 50-50 shot.
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

Favorite Fighter(s) : Griffin, Franklin, Hendo, Sonnen, Wand, Lawler, Belfort, Pettis, Aldo, Mousasi

PostSubject: Re: the spider wants to move up to HW   the spider wants to move up to HW EmptySun Aug 23, 2009 10:38 pm

Mir already said when training for Brock he had a ton of trouble sparring with Forrest because he was quick and just kept bringing it. Now Anderson is more of a counter striker, but if Mir has trouble with Forrest then Silva is going to pick him apart a few rounds and then get dropped.
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: the spider wants to move up to HW   the spider wants to move up to HW EmptySun Aug 23, 2009 11:19 pm

I wonder at what weight Spider would enter the ring as a heavy. As a guy who makes a fairly dramtic cut to make 185, I assume his weight training is such that it keeps him lean and light. But if he were to make the transition to heavy I imagine his weight training would change so as to put on some bulk.

In a very small sample at 205 he has looked phenomanal, both physically, and skill wise. His recent fights there have been far more impressive then his recent fights at 185. Yet his frame still looks as though it could handle more weight.

I don't think it would be a stretch to expect Spider to weigh in at 235 or so. I have a hard time seeing Brock having a hard time with any 235 lber, but otherwise, I think Spider could do signifcant damage at that weight.
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

Favorite Fighter(s) : Griffin, Franklin, Hendo, Sonnen, Wand, Lawler, Belfort, Pettis, Aldo, Mousasi

PostSubject: Re: the spider wants to move up to HW   the spider wants to move up to HW EmptyMon Aug 24, 2009 12:12 pm

No way Spider could get to 235 without getting a huge gut. He was already looking a little puddy at 205. And when I say puddy keep it in a context of pro fighter not everyday person. I say Anderson couldn't get above 215.
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: the spider wants to move up to HW   the spider wants to move up to HW EmptyMon Aug 24, 2009 1:37 pm

http://www.sherdog.com/pictures/gallery/fighter/f_1356/92361/8

Your saying this guy looks pudgy? He prob weighed in at 215 the day of the Griffen fight.

To say there is "no way" that Anderson could put on 20 lbs constructively is pretty baseless.
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

PostSubject: Re: the spider wants to move up to HW   the spider wants to move up to HW EmptyMon Aug 24, 2009 1:42 pm

When you compare to this

the spider wants to move up to HW Anderson-Silva

It doesn't look like he is putting on muscle just gaining weight.
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: the spider wants to move up to HW   the spider wants to move up to HW EmptyMon Aug 24, 2009 8:25 pm

http://www.sherdog.com/pictures/gallery/fighter/f_1356/46500/

Here's Spider at 185 vs Nate. Despite the way the lighting might make it look, spider is usually not a chiselled dude. He has clearly handled the weight with ease in both his fights at 205. "just gaining weight?" come on this was not like Penn's last attempt at 170.
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

PostSubject: Re: the spider wants to move up to HW   the spider wants to move up to HW EmptyMon Aug 24, 2009 11:44 pm

Anderson's frame is easily large enough to hold the weight. He needs to slowly bulk up with muscle mass and not just not cutting weight.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: the spider wants to move up to HW   the spider wants to move up to HW EmptyMon Aug 24, 2009 11:56 pm

He definitely looks thicker there, but Anderson wasn't putting a lot of muscle on. He doesn't plan to stay at 205 forever. If he stayed at 205 he could build his muscle mass up and then cut from a heavier weight. After that I could see him 225-235, that's all the bigger Randy is. If he moved slow and gained weight properly he could do it.

However, both age and weight slow fighters down, and combos of the two can be career altering. Of course, Silva has speed to share, and should he slow down a bit, moving up a class might help him stay relevant, like it did with Randy and the big slow oafs he has faced(until Lesnar) since returning.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: the spider wants to move up to HW   the spider wants to move up to HW Empty

Back to top Go down

the spider wants to move up to HW
Page 1 of 1