Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

My thoughts on the "wrestler problem" in MMA

Go down 
+11
KingsOwn19
bobbitt15
Wolfgangsta
GolbeZ
Andrew the Raider King
jimbojones1950
killerofchicken
OU
MMAEYES
acccardinal12
chorky777
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva, Jose Aldo

My thoughts on the "wrestler problem" in MMA - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: My thoughts on the "wrestler problem" in MMA   My thoughts on the "wrestler problem" in MMA - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 14, 2010 10:48 am

GolbeZ wrote:
Andrew the Raider King wrote:
I agree with Ninja. GSP is a very active fighter, though he has been having issues finishing fighters lately. Regardless, there is a difference between LNP and GNP.

Ninja hasn't said anything in this thread...

Ninja?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My thoughts on the "wrestler problem" in MMA   My thoughts on the "wrestler problem" in MMA - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 14, 2010 10:48 am

GolbeZ wrote:
I agree with Ninja. GSP is a very active fighter, though he has been having issues finishing fighters lately. Regardless, there is a difference between LNP and GNP.

He saw gold and assumed it was Ninja
Back to top Go down
GolbeZ
Administrator
Administrator
GolbeZ

Favorite Fighter(s) : Condit, Machida, Aldo, Bendo, KJ Noons, Dominick Cruz The Praying Mantis

tolivendiewithLA wrote:
GolbeZ wrote:

Ninja?

Ninja
Back to top Go down
GolbeZ
Administrator
Administrator
GolbeZ

Favorite Fighter(s) : Condit, Machida, Aldo, Bendo, KJ Noons, Dominick Cruz The Praying Mantis

PostSubject: Re: My thoughts on the "wrestler problem" in MMA   My thoughts on the "wrestler problem" in MMA - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 14, 2010 10:49 am

soonermark890 wrote:
GolbeZ wrote:

He saw gold and assumed it was Ninja

lol you know what .. we have a similar looking avatar at glance too ..
Back to top Go down
Andrew the Raider King
Red Belt
Red Belt
Andrew the Raider King

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael, Sexyama, Condit, Hendricks, Cowboy, Struve

PostSubject: Re: My thoughts on the "wrestler problem" in MMA   My thoughts on the "wrestler problem" in MMA - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 14, 2010 10:52 am

LMAO! You got me there. I did glance at it and assumed it was Ninja. My bad Golbez.
Back to top Go down
Ludo
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
Ludo

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Prodigy, The Great, Viking Dahmer, The Phenom

PostSubject: Re: My thoughts on the "wrestler problem" in MMA   My thoughts on the "wrestler problem" in MMA - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 14, 2010 10:56 am

I guess it's true what they say about gold names all looking the same.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My thoughts on the "wrestler problem" in MMA   My thoughts on the "wrestler problem" in MMA - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 14, 2010 10:58 am

GolbeZ wrote:
soonermark890 wrote:
GolbeZ wrote:
soonermark890 wrote:
GolbeZ wrote:
captain organic wrote:
GolbeZ wrote:
soonermark890 wrote:
OUSOONERSOU wrote:
soonermark890 wrote:
Ok I know I am not the most knowledgeable MMA fan but to me the wrestling is a little bit of a problem when you are talking about guys like Maynard and GSP. Its boring to the average fan. That to me can turn people off of the sport and thats not what you want. All you have to do is educate the ref on when to stand them back up. Thats all.

You can't please the fans all the time and that is the only issue here. A lot of people think wrestling is boring. But so is a 3-6 football game. Just like in football some teams win ugly. Not every team is Texas Tech and Georgia Tech with flashy high scoring teams. Grinding out a win in any sport can be hard to watch. But just like in any sport a win is a win. Are you going to complain if OU wins the National Championship on a ugly grind it out 3-0 win?
The difference is that in MMA sometimes nothing is going on. They are just lying there. If the guy is just lying there stand them up and make them do something. Its a fight not a nap. In football every play you have excitement no matter what.

Examples please.

How bout Guida vs Diaz. Or any of Kondrad's fights. Dude's get takedown and then stall.
Now we did see in Grabowski's 1st rnd match an example of judges giving the rnds to the more active bottom fighter, but too often(Guida vs Diaz) the judges score control higher then damage.

I was asking for examples from soonermark.. I wanted to see who he said .. in which his examples are wrong. I can name a bunch of fights that I thought was ridiculous .. but the bottom line is that dude probably should get his ass in the gym and work on some TDD ..

and like wolf said.. if there are fighters out there that are willing to win this way .. dont be expecting title shots and fighting on the main card any time soon.

I wonder how many of you wish Sonnen would have just laid on top of Spider instead of staying active in that last round.
I wonder why you think I am wrong. No one I know likes to watch GSP fight. He is boring as hell. My cousin was a wrestler in school and even he said he will never watch another GSP fight because he is boring as hell. You guys might find it exciting to watch a guy lay on top of another guy but the average fan like me does not.

was the debate about what we thought was boring or not?

SoonerMark: The difference is that in MMA sometimes nothing is going on. They are just lying there
GolbeZ: Examples please.
SoonerMark: GSP and Gray

wrong.

GSP has done it. Gray did it in his last fight. Also I dont find MMA boring BTW just some fighters. This is why I avoid the MMA board. I say a fighter is boring in a thread were you guys are talking about people being boring and you get all defensive. I know GSP is a master at what he does and is by far the most dominate WW in the world but that doesnt make him exciting does it? His last two fights sucked plain and simple.

GSP doesn't just lay on people.. when did I say you were wrong about thinking GSP is boring? Thats fine if you think that, I dont even like GSP myself, I have 3 WW listed in my favorites (not GSP) and one of them is fighting him next. And I just pointed out that I am quite aware that you would prefer the fights to stay standing, so in a sense you find MMA boring.
No wrestling is the only part of MMA that bores me. Everything else I like. Heck my two favorite fighters right now is Brock and Cro cop.
Back to top Go down
chorky777
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Weidman, McGregor, Pettis, Cowboy

PostSubject: Re: My thoughts on the "wrestler problem" in MMA   My thoughts on the "wrestler problem" in MMA - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 14, 2010 11:24 am

I didn't mean to say anything bad about Lentz. He is a decent fighter. It's just that the fight was pretty irrelevant, but it got so much attention.
Back to top Go down
Ludo
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
Ludo

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Prodigy, The Great, Viking Dahmer, The Phenom

PostSubject: Re: My thoughts on the "wrestler problem" in MMA   My thoughts on the "wrestler problem" in MMA - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 14, 2010 11:26 am

I wasn't implying you were. I was just trying to set the story straight is all. Lentz did what he always does which is get takedowns and try to work on the ground, usually he is decent to watch but with Winner holding on for dear life everytime it sucked.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My thoughts on the "wrestler problem" in MMA   My thoughts on the "wrestler problem" in MMA - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

My thoughts on the "wrestler problem" in MMA
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3