Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The HW problem/Boxing problem

Go down 
3 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

The HW problem/Boxing problem Empty
PostSubject: The HW problem/Boxing problem   The HW problem/Boxing problem EmptyFri Aug 20, 2010 9:43 pm

OK I just thought of something that would be a great buisness decision for the big promoters. Why dont they start putting in boxing gyms that are free to anyone under 18 in poor neighborhoods. Would that not bring back boxing in a lot of ways? Anyways its just an idea. What do you guys think?
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, JOSH KOSCHECK, SPIDER

PostSubject: Re: The HW problem/Boxing problem   The HW problem/Boxing problem EmptyFri Aug 20, 2010 9:46 pm

They cant make them free because they would have to pay staff, equipment, locations, water, lights, etc. There are just to many things that need up keep to have the gym for free in my opion.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The HW problem/Boxing problem   The HW problem/Boxing problem EmptyFri Aug 20, 2010 9:52 pm

timthebim wrote:
They cant make them free because they would have to pay staff, equipment, locations, water, lights, etc. There are just to many things that need up keep to have the gym for free in my opion.
Free to the people under 18. Think about it. Say Bob Arum starts a top rank gym. He gets 50 kids to join then maybe one of them becomes a star and starts making him millions. Is that not worth it to a guy as rich as arum? It is an investment to be sure. But someone will come out of those gyms that would be stars.
Back to top Go down
RUM CAPITAL
Blue Belt
Blue Belt
RUM CAPITAL

Favorite Fighter(s) : Carlos Ortiz,Henry Armstrong and Wilfredo Gomez

PostSubject: Re: The HW problem/Boxing problem   The HW problem/Boxing problem EmptyFri Aug 20, 2010 9:52 pm

idk if thats the real problem. around here my friend runs the gym and is sooooo much cheaper than other martial art. btw the boxing gym is always packed. there's a bjj gym here that gabriel gonzaga goes to the ufc guy and they use to charge 50 a month FOR KIDS. i believe the boxing gym is 60 FOR THE YEAR.
i just think parents just forget that a boxing gym is ACTUALLY an option that they can bring their kids into.
Back to top Go down
RUM CAPITAL
Blue Belt
Blue Belt
RUM CAPITAL

PostSubject: Re: The HW problem/Boxing problem   The HW problem/Boxing problem EmptyFri Aug 20, 2010 9:53 pm

soonermark890 wrote:
timthebim wrote:
Free to the people under 18. Think about it. Say Bob Arum starts a top rank gym. He gets 50 kids to join then maybe one of them becomes a star and starts making him millions. Is that not worth it to a guy as rich as arum? It is an investment to be sure. But someone will come out of those gyms that would be stars.
bobs a jew come on now sooner, there's no way he would give anything for free jk
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The HW problem/Boxing problem   The HW problem/Boxing problem EmptyFri Aug 20, 2010 9:55 pm

RUM CAPITAL wrote:
soonermark890 wrote:
timthebim wrote:
bobs a jew come on now sooner, there's no way he would give anything for free jk
LMFAO. He would to make millions.

But is it a good idea? Or am I just being hopefull?
Back to top Go down
RUM CAPITAL
Blue Belt
Blue Belt
RUM CAPITAL

PostSubject: Re: The HW problem/Boxing problem   The HW problem/Boxing problem EmptyFri Aug 20, 2010 9:58 pm

soonermark890 wrote:
RUM CAPITAL wrote:
soonermark890 wrote:
timthebim wrote:

like i said i think we should bring it out there more and notify kids about the sport. i always place flyers for kids where i work at so that they are aware of this program.
parents always think of baseball, soccer, basketball or football. and let's be real the avarage parent thinks of karate as a martial art lmao but i agree trouble youths like the ones i work with should always have the option of going to a boxing gym.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The HW problem/Boxing problem   The HW problem/Boxing problem EmptyFri Aug 20, 2010 10:00 pm

RUM CAPITAL wrote:
soonermark890 wrote:
RUM CAPITAL wrote:
soonermark890 wrote:
timthebim wrote:

like i said i think we should bring it out there more and notify kids about the sport. i always place flyers for kids where i work at so that they are aware of this program.
parents always think of baseball, soccer, basketball or football. and let's be real the avarage parent thinks of karate as a martial art lmao but i agree trouble youths like the ones i work with should always have the option of going to a boxing gym.
Yeah one way to get them into boxing is going to the schools and recruit. Put up flyers in the schools. Make an after school boxing program. All schools are open to these ideas and would let you speek to the students. All you have to do is ask.
Back to top Go down
RUM CAPITAL
Blue Belt
Blue Belt
RUM CAPITAL

PostSubject: Re: The HW problem/Boxing problem   The HW problem/Boxing problem EmptyFri Aug 20, 2010 10:02 pm

soonermark890 wrote:
RUM CAPITAL wrote:
soonermark890 wrote:
RUM CAPITAL wrote:
soonermark890 wrote:
timthebim wrote:

Yeah one way to get them into boxing is going to the schools and recruit. Put up flyers in the schools. Make an after school boxing program. All schools are open to these ideas and would let you speek to the students. All you have to do is ask.
i was just watching how in some areas in chicago they actually do have boxing programs run by former gang members.
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, JOSH KOSCHECK, SPIDER

PostSubject: Re: The HW problem/Boxing problem   The HW problem/Boxing problem EmptyFri Aug 20, 2010 10:05 pm

soonermark890 wrote:
RUM CAPITAL wrote:
soonermark890 wrote:
timthebim wrote:

Good idea yes, ever gonna happen NO!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The HW problem/Boxing problem   The HW problem/Boxing problem EmptyFri Aug 20, 2010 10:06 pm

RUM CAPITAL wrote:
soonermark890 wrote:
RUM CAPITAL wrote:
soonermark890 wrote:
RUM CAPITAL wrote:
soonermark890 wrote:
timthebim wrote:

i was just watching how in some areas in chicago they actually do have boxing programs run by former gang members.
Every state in the US should have a boxing program.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The HW problem/Boxing problem   The HW problem/Boxing problem EmptyFri Aug 20, 2010 10:06 pm

timthebim wrote:
soonermark890 wrote:
RUM CAPITAL wrote:
soonermark890 wrote:
timthebim wrote:

Good idea yes, ever gonna happen NO!
I was thinking the same thing.
Back to top Go down
RUM CAPITAL
Blue Belt
Blue Belt
RUM CAPITAL

PostSubject: Re: The HW problem/Boxing problem   The HW problem/Boxing problem EmptyFri Aug 20, 2010 10:07 pm

soonermark890 wrote:
RUM CAPITAL wrote:
soonermark890 wrote:
RUM CAPITAL wrote:
soonermark890 wrote:
RUM CAPITAL wrote:
soonermark890 wrote:
timthebim wrote:

Every state in the US should have a boxing program.
they do
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The HW problem/Boxing problem   The HW problem/Boxing problem EmptyFri Aug 20, 2010 10:09 pm

Whats sad is I live just outside of OKC and I have never heard of one. There needs to be more advertisement. I am telling you if they just went to all the schools close by they would get a ton of kids to join.
Back to top Go down
RUM CAPITAL
Blue Belt
Blue Belt
RUM CAPITAL

PostSubject: Re: The HW problem/Boxing problem   The HW problem/Boxing problem EmptyFri Aug 20, 2010 10:12 pm

soonermark890 wrote:
Whats sad is I live just outside of OKC and I have never heard of one. There needs to be more advertisement. I am telling you if they just went to all the schools close by they would get a ton of kids to join.
you should take the initiave sooner. i do all the time with my clients. im a case worker for teens and i always put it out there as an option. i've actually have gotten a couple of kids to go but then they quit lol what do you do for a living if you dont mind me asking?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The HW problem/Boxing problem   The HW problem/Boxing problem EmptyFri Aug 20, 2010 10:16 pm

RUM CAPITAL wrote:
soonermark890 wrote:
you should take the initiave sooner. i do all the time with my clients. im a case worker for teens and i always put it out there as an option. i've actually have gotten a couple of kids to go but then they quit lol what do you do for a living if you dont mind me asking?
I am a teacher and coach. If I knew where there is a boxing gym that does this stuff I would hand out flyers for them. I could also get a friend of mine to do it. He is a teacher in the ghetto.
Back to top Go down
RUM CAPITAL
Blue Belt
Blue Belt
RUM CAPITAL

PostSubject: Re: The HW problem/Boxing problem   The HW problem/Boxing problem EmptyFri Aug 20, 2010 10:18 pm

lmao you have the perfect job to do this as i do bro. my friends gym is at the local community center here in springfield mass. you should find out if any of the community centers whether is boys and girls or ymca have programs. another way would be contacting the oklahoma boxing commision they HAVE to know where you can go and do this.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The HW problem/Boxing problem   The HW problem/Boxing problem EmptyFri Aug 20, 2010 10:25 pm

RUM CAPITAL wrote:
lmao you have the perfect job to do this as i do bro. my friends gym is at the local community center here in springfield mass. you should find out if any of the community centers whether is boys and girls or ymca have programs. another way would be contacting the oklahoma boxing commision they HAVE to know where you can go and do this.
Thats not a bad idea. The problem is my school is middle class white america. Not the best clients to be recruiting. LOL
Back to top Go down
RUM CAPITAL
Blue Belt
Blue Belt
RUM CAPITAL

PostSubject: Re: The HW problem/Boxing problem   The HW problem/Boxing problem EmptyFri Aug 20, 2010 10:26 pm

soonermark890 wrote:
RUM CAPITAL wrote:
Thats not a bad idea. The problem is my school is middle class white america. Not the best clients to be recruiting. LOL
you never know. just plant the seed or hook up with your buddy in the ghetto...btw tommy morisson is from your area and he was middle class no?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The HW problem/Boxing problem   The HW problem/Boxing problem EmptyFri Aug 20, 2010 10:46 pm

RUM CAPITAL wrote:
soonermark890 wrote:
RUM CAPITAL wrote:
you never know. just plant the seed or hook up with your buddy in the ghetto...btw tommy morisson is from your area and he was middle class no?
Very true. He has a gym in Norman OK I think.
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

Favorite Fighter(s) : Arguello, Finito, Duran, Saad Muhammad

PostSubject: Re: The HW problem/Boxing problem   The HW problem/Boxing problem EmptyFri Aug 20, 2010 10:48 pm

Where do the teachers/trainers come from?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The HW problem/Boxing problem   The HW problem/Boxing problem EmptyFri Aug 20, 2010 10:53 pm

marbleheadmaui wrote:
I dont know thats a big ?. Maybe the boxers who train at the gym could do a couple of hours teaching the next generation.
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

PostSubject: Re: The HW problem/Boxing problem   The HW problem/Boxing problem EmptyFri Aug 20, 2010 11:59 pm

soonermark890 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:
I dont know thats a big ?. Maybe the boxers who train at the gym could do a couple of hours teaching the next generation.

What I mean is I am perfectly competent to work with beginning amateurs and teach fitness and basic boxing skills. Stance, basic footwork, how to hit the various bags etc. But the difference between me and the guy who runs the gym, who is competent to handle experienced amateurs, teach fight tactics, be useful in a corner is miles and miles. The coaches who come to visit from Oahu and who handle natgional level amateurs are a cut above that but they aren't ready to handle pros either.

Where do THOSE guys come from? Of course given the cornerwork we see perhaps they simply don't exist in great numbers anymore.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The HW problem/Boxing problem   The HW problem/Boxing problem EmptySat Aug 21, 2010 12:01 am

marbleheadmaui wrote:
soonermark890 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:

What I mean is I am perfectly competent to work with beginning amateurs and teach fitness and basic boxing skills. Stance, basic footwork, how to hit the various bags etc. But the difference between me and the guy who runs the gym, who is competent to handle experienced amateurs, teach fight tactics, be useful in a corner is miles and miles. The coaches who come to visit from Oahu and who handle natgional level amateurs are a cut above that but they aren't ready to handle pros either.

Where do THOSE guys come from? Of course given the cornerwork we see perhaps they simply don't exist in great numbers anymore.
Yeah I dont have an answer for you. They have to be out there dont they?
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

PostSubject: Re: The HW problem/Boxing problem   The HW problem/Boxing problem EmptySat Aug 21, 2010 12:29 am

soonermark890 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:
soonermark890 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:

Yeah I dont have an answer for you. They have to be out there dont they?

No actually they don't. If they were I don't think Manny Steward would be conducting seminars and I don't think fighters from all over the world would be going to the Wild Card. I know I sound like a broken record, but I look back at the great trainers who were still around in the 1970's and who had been doing it for 30+ years. Names like Futch and Dundee and Arcel and Clancy and Sandy Saddler and Freddie Brown and Teddy Bentham and Cuyo Hernandez and Victor Valle and Lou Duva and Tony Ayala and Al Certo and Cus Damato then I think well Futch taught Roach and Certo taught McGirt and Cus taught Teddy AND THAT'S IT????????????

I really do think we've lost a generation of boxing knowledge
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The HW problem/Boxing problem   The HW problem/Boxing problem Empty

Back to top Go down

The HW problem/Boxing problem
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next