Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The HW problem/Boxing problem

Go down 
3 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage

The HW problem/Boxing problem - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The HW problem/Boxing problem   The HW problem/Boxing problem - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 21, 2010 12:31 am

marbleheadmaui wrote:
soonermark890 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:
soonermark890 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:
Where do the teachers/trainers come from?
I dont know thats a big ?. Maybe the boxers who train at the gym could do a couple of hours teaching the next generation.

What I mean is I am perfectly competent to work with beginning amateurs and teach fitness and basic boxing skills. Stance, basic footwork, how to hit the various bags etc. But the difference between me and the guy who runs the gym, who is competent to handle experienced amateurs, teach fight tactics, be useful in a corner is miles and miles. The coaches who come to visit from Oahu and who handle natgional level amateurs are a cut above that but they aren't ready to handle pros either.

Where do THOSE guys come from? Of course given the cornerwork we see perhaps they simply don't exist in great numbers anymore.
Yeah I dont have an answer for you. They have to be out there dont they?

No actually they don't. If they were I don't think Manny Steward would be conducting seminars and I don't think fighters from all over the world would be going to the Wild Card. I know I sound like a broken record, but I look back at the great trainers who were still around in the 1970's and who had been doing it for 30+ years. Names like Futch and Dundee and Arcel and Clancy and Sandy Saddler and Freddie Brown and Teddy Bentham and Cuyo Hernandez and Victor Valle and Lou Duva and Tony Ayala and Al Certo and Cus Damato then I think well Futch taught Roach and Certo taught McGirt and Cus taught Teddy AND THAT'S IT????????????

I really do think we've lost a generation of boxing knowledge
God I hope you are wrong.
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

Favorite Fighter(s) : Arguello, Finito, Duran, Saad Muhammad

The HW problem/Boxing problem - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The HW problem/Boxing problem   The HW problem/Boxing problem - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 21, 2010 12:36 am

soonermark890 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:
soonermark890 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:
soonermark890 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:
Where do the teachers/trainers come from?
I dont know thats a big ?. Maybe the boxers who train at the gym could do a couple of hours teaching the next generation.

What I mean is I am perfectly competent to work with beginning amateurs and teach fitness and basic boxing skills. Stance, basic footwork, how to hit the various bags etc. But the difference between me and the guy who runs the gym, who is competent to handle experienced amateurs, teach fight tactics, be useful in a corner is miles and miles. The coaches who come to visit from Oahu and who handle natgional level amateurs are a cut above that but they aren't ready to handle pros either.

Where do THOSE guys come from? Of course given the cornerwork we see perhaps they simply don't exist in great numbers anymore.
Yeah I dont have an answer for you. They have to be out there dont they?

No actually they don't. If they were I don't think Manny Steward would be conducting seminars and I don't think fighters from all over the world would be going to the Wild Card. I know I sound like a broken record, but I look back at the great trainers who were still around in the 1970's and who had been doing it for 30+ years. Names like Futch and Dundee and Arcel and Clancy and Sandy Saddler and Freddie Brown and Teddy Bentham and Cuyo Hernandez and Victor Valle and Lou Duva and Tony Ayala and Al Certo and Cus Damato then I think well Futch taught Roach and Certo taught McGirt and Cus taught Teddy AND THAT'S IT????????????

I really do think we've lost a generation of boxing knowledge
God I hope you are wrong.

Me too. I'd like to be wrong about a lot of things. The problem is when one watches cornerwork these days in what are supposed to be top fights? The corner work is frighteningly non-technical and frightningly non-tactical.

Now you want to get REALLY scared? Atlas is more or less out of the business. He is the end of the Cus line. Freddie doesn't have very long and yet there seems to be no number two there he is teaching so he might be the end of the Futch line and Buddy doesn't seem to have absorbed all the lessons to be great, at least not yet. How old is Nacho Beristain?

So in five years where are we?
Back to top Go down

The HW problem/Boxing problem
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2