Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Overeem: 'I don't need a warm-up fight, I'm ready for a UFC title shot'

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

Overeem: 'I don't need a warm-up fight, I'm ready for a UFC title shot'  Empty
PostSubject: Overeem: 'I don't need a warm-up fight, I'm ready for a UFC title shot'    Overeem: 'I don't need a warm-up fight, I'm ready for a UFC title shot'  EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 3:14 pm

http://www.mmamania.com/2012/7/26/3189126/alistair-overeem-ufc-return-junior-dos-santos-mma
Put that oil can away, Dorothy, the "Demolition Man" isn't rusty.

Former Strikeforce Heavyweight Champion Alistair Overeem is counting down the days until he can get his mixed martial arts (MMA) license reinstated with the Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC), after it was denied in the wake of a failed drug test back in May.

See how it all unfolded right here.

"The Reem" is currently riding the pine until at least December, which would put his layoff around the 12-month mark, having last competed at UFC 141 in Las Vegas, Nevada, defeating Brock Lesnar to establish himself as the division number one contender.

Upon his return, Overeem is confident he can compete at the sport's highest level, no matter how inactive he's been over the past year -- even if it means jumping right into a title fight against reigning division champion Junior dos Santos.

Quote :
"This time off is perfect. After this, I have a full four years of dedication (to fighting). For me it doesn't matter when I fight. I don't need to have a warm-up fight. I'm gonna leave that up to the gentlemen of the UFC to decide. If they want me to go for the title, I'm ready for that ... I'm gonna lay low and fight whoever they put in front of me. I'm gonna get my hands on [Dos Santos] and when I do, he's all mine."
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: Overeem: 'I don't need a warm-up fight, I'm ready for a UFC title shot'    Overeem: 'I don't need a warm-up fight, I'm ready for a UFC title shot'  EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 3:15 pm

LOL yeah I bet you do WANT a title shot. Shouldn't have cheated. Definitely don't deserve a title shot. But it's all about the $ and DESERVING never matters anyways.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Overeem: 'I don't need a warm-up fight, I'm ready for a UFC title shot'    Overeem: 'I don't need a warm-up fight, I'm ready for a UFC title shot'  EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 3:20 pm

Overeem: 'I don't need a warm-up fight, I'm ready for a UFC title shot'  Bi_in_fo_laughing_gif_by_kuro_kokoro-d4zdga6
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Overeem: 'I don't need a warm-up fight, I'm ready for a UFC title shot'    Overeem: 'I don't need a warm-up fight, I'm ready for a UFC title shot'  EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 3:21 pm

Overeem: 'I don't need a warm-up fight, I'm ready for a UFC title shot'  No_soup_for_you
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

PostSubject: Re: Overeem: 'I don't need a warm-up fight, I'm ready for a UFC title shot'    Overeem: 'I don't need a warm-up fight, I'm ready for a UFC title shot'  EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 7:21 pm

I agree with Overeem. He is the number one contender at HW until he losses that designation in the octagon.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/v/skCV2L0c6K0

PostSubject: Re: Overeem: 'I don't need a warm-up fight, I'm ready for a UFC title shot'    Overeem: 'I don't need a warm-up fight, I'm ready for a UFC title shot'  EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 10:30 am

Like I've said before I'd rather see Cigano take on Ubereem next than have a Cain rematch.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Overeem: 'I don't need a warm-up fight, I'm ready for a UFC title shot'    Overeem: 'I don't need a warm-up fight, I'm ready for a UFC title shot'  EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 10:35 am

Maybe he shouldn't have been taking illegal substances trying to gain a competitive advantage leading up to his title fight. It's funny because he implies that JDS is scared but Reem was the one that obviously thought he needed a little "extra" to get the job done. In reality it really doesn't matter because JDS would knock him out even if Reem had 100x the normal testosterone levels. But he is a known cheater for years that was busted immediately after joining the big show. How many of his wins are legit? It's a legit question.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Overeem: 'I don't need a warm-up fight, I'm ready for a UFC title shot'    Overeem: 'I don't need a warm-up fight, I'm ready for a UFC title shot'  EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 10:45 am

OU wrote:
Maybe he shouldn't have been taking illegal substances trying to gain a competitive advantage leading up to his title fight. It's funny because he implies that JDS is scared but Reem was the one that obviously thought he needed a little "extra" to get the job done. In reality it really doesn't matter because JDS would knock him out even if Reem had 100x the normal testosterone levels. But he is a known cheater for years that was busted immediately after joining the big show. How many of his wins are legit? It's a legit question.

+1
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Overeem: 'I don't need a warm-up fight, I'm ready for a UFC title shot'    Overeem: 'I don't need a warm-up fight, I'm ready for a UFC title shot'  EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 10:46 am

I will hate Reem forever for the timing of his failed drug test. You get test 100 fucking times in your career and you want to test positive right BEFORE I get to see one of my dream fights take place. I will never forgive him for taking that from me. I would have a far less problem with it if he tested positive post fight, even if would have won the fight. But he didn't. He denied me that matchup and he must pay for it. He does not deserve an immediate title shot. I hope he dies.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Overeem: 'I don't need a warm-up fight, I'm ready for a UFC title shot'    Overeem: 'I don't need a warm-up fight, I'm ready for a UFC title shot'  EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 10:48 am

freakzilla wrote:
OU wrote:

+1
Don't beleive half of this fan rage posting. It's just venting because I feel Reem personally robbed me. I feel like he knocked on my door, kicked me in the gut and fucked my mother. That's how I feel.
Back to top Go down
SOKO
Black Belt
Black Belt
SOKO

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Dragon, Kenflo, Hendo, Guida, Ace, Wand, Cain, Carwin, Foreman, Evander, Oscar

PostSubject: Re: Overeem: 'I don't need a warm-up fight, I'm ready for a UFC title shot'    Overeem: 'I don't need a warm-up fight, I'm ready for a UFC title shot'  EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 11:19 am

Hey Cheater..........go fuck yourself and get in the back of the line.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Overeem: 'I don't need a warm-up fight, I'm ready for a UFC title shot'    Overeem: 'I don't need a warm-up fight, I'm ready for a UFC title shot'  EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 11:32 am

If Werdum hasn't lost by the time Reem is back a rubber match between Reem and Werdum would be a great fight for #1 contender.
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

PostSubject: Re: Overeem: 'I don't need a warm-up fight, I'm ready for a UFC title shot'    Overeem: 'I don't need a warm-up fight, I'm ready for a UFC title shot'  EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 11:56 am

No, anything other then Reem fighting the Champ upon his re-licensing would be asinine.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Overeem: 'I don't need a warm-up fight, I'm ready for a UFC title shot'    Overeem: 'I don't need a warm-up fight, I'm ready for a UFC title shot'  EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 12:00 pm

OU wrote:
If Werdum hasn't lost by the time Reem is back a rubber match between Reem and Werdum would be a great fight for #1 contender.

Please don't make me watch a rematch of this fight ever!
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Overeem: 'I don't need a warm-up fight, I'm ready for a UFC title shot'    Overeem: 'I don't need a warm-up fight, I'm ready for a UFC title shot'  EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 12:01 pm

GDPofDRC wrote:
No, anything other then Reem fighting the Champ upon his re-licensing would be asinine.
Why? What kind of punishment is that for a cheater? Granting him an immediate title shot that he himself lost due to his own actions is just crazy. That makes no sense. Reem lost his title shot because of his own actions. He only has one person to blame and he sees that person everyday in the mirror.
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

PostSubject: Re: Overeem: 'I don't need a warm-up fight, I'm ready for a UFC title shot'    Overeem: 'I don't need a warm-up fight, I'm ready for a UFC title shot'  EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 12:06 pm

The commission levies the punishment. Overeem is the #1 contender upon receiving a license, would be a mistake to go another direction unless it is Cormier vs Reem, that is the only other logical, feasible and plausible course of action.
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

PostSubject: Re: Overeem: 'I don't need a warm-up fight, I'm ready for a UFC title shot'    Overeem: 'I don't need a warm-up fight, I'm ready for a UFC title shot'  EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 12:09 pm

It's a no-brainer.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Overeem: 'I don't need a warm-up fight, I'm ready for a UFC title shot'    Overeem: 'I don't need a warm-up fight, I'm ready for a UFC title shot'  EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 12:12 pm

GDPofDRC wrote:
The commission levies the punishment. Overeem is the #1 contender upon receiving a license, would be a mistake to go another direction unless it is Cormier vs Reem, that is the only other logical, feasible and plausible course of action.
Completely disagree. We can't assume that Reem earned his shot the right way. Infact it's a much safer assumption to assume the opposite. What kind of punishment is making him wait? IMO he lost his title shot when it was proven he is infact a cheater. He needs to re-earn the title shot. Shouldn't have tried to gain an unfair advantage and put the careers of his competitors in danger. He needs to be punished and having to wait for his shot is not a punishment. It's being Carlos Condit.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Overeem: 'I don't need a warm-up fight, I'm ready for a UFC title shot'    Overeem: 'I don't need a warm-up fight, I'm ready for a UFC title shot'  EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 12:12 pm

GDPofDRC wrote:
It's a no-brainer.
Exactly, you CAN'T give him an immediate shot. No-brainer.
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

PostSubject: Re: Overeem: 'I don't need a warm-up fight, I'm ready for a UFC title shot'    Overeem: 'I don't need a warm-up fight, I'm ready for a UFC title shot'  EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 12:14 pm

I'm baffled.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Overeem: 'I don't need a warm-up fight, I'm ready for a UFC title shot'    Overeem: 'I don't need a warm-up fight, I'm ready for a UFC title shot'  EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 12:18 pm

GDPofDRC wrote:
I'm baffled.
ditto.
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

PostSubject: Re: Overeem: 'I don't need a warm-up fight, I'm ready for a UFC title shot'    Overeem: 'I don't need a warm-up fight, I'm ready for a UFC title shot'  EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 12:55 pm

So who should be elevated above Overeem in the title picture since you are under the impression he should not be?

Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Overeem: 'I don't need a warm-up fight, I'm ready for a UFC title shot'    Overeem: 'I don't need a warm-up fight, I'm ready for a UFC title shot'  EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 1:05 pm

GDPofDRC wrote:
So who should be elevated above Overeem in the title picture since you are under the impression he should not be?

Reem should be thankful he didn't receive Nate Marquardt treatment IMO. I don't think you can turn your head and refuse to acknowledge that Reem was trying to gain an unfair competitive advantage. If we use your suggestion his punishment was equivalent to an injury layoff. Reem would have suffered zero consequence for his actions.
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

PostSubject: Re: Overeem: 'I don't need a warm-up fight, I'm ready for a UFC title shot'    Overeem: 'I don't need a warm-up fight, I'm ready for a UFC title shot'  EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 1:09 pm

The assumptions are strong with you this morning.

Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Overeem: 'I don't need a warm-up fight, I'm ready for a UFC title shot'    Overeem: 'I don't need a warm-up fight, I'm ready for a UFC title shot'  EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 1:31 pm

GDPofDRC wrote:
The assumptions are strong with you this morning.

Well based on what has happened in MMA currently I would say the title challengers are fairly obvious. Cain is deserving of his rematch and is next in line. If DC defeats Mir which will officially release him from SF he would have earned his immediate shot at the UFC HW title. Right now behind those men it would appear that Werdum is the next deserving candidate. However he is 1 more win away from being truly deserving. Reem IMO should have to fight 1 more time to re-earn the title shot that he lost as a result of his own actions. Looking at the timeline here Reem should be about ready to return about the same time JDS vs DC should be taking place. So why not have Werdum vs Reem 3 for a title shot? That would fit in perfectly. Now if Cain wins then depending on how that goes we could get an immediate rematch for JDS or perhaps Werdum would have picked up another win and in that case we could have Werdum vs Cain for the title and JDS vs Reem for the next shot. But Reem receiving no punishment is just wrong on so many levels IMO.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Overeem: 'I don't need a warm-up fight, I'm ready for a UFC title shot'    Overeem: 'I don't need a warm-up fight, I'm ready for a UFC title shot'  Empty

Back to top Go down

Overeem: 'I don't need a warm-up fight, I'm ready for a UFC title shot'
Page 1 of 1