Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Gilbert Melendez Is Excited About Potential Jump to UFC, Ready for Title Shot

Go down 
+2
KingsOwn19
MMAEYES
6 posters
AuthorMessage

Gilbert Melendez Is Excited About Potential Jump to UFC, Ready for Title Shot Empty
PostSubject: Gilbert Melendez Is Excited About Potential Jump to UFC, Ready for Title Shot   Gilbert Melendez Is Excited About Potential Jump to UFC, Ready for Title Shot EmptyTue Oct 11, 2011 11:01 am

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2011/10/10/2481803/gilbert-melendez-ufc-frankie-edgar

Gilbert Melendez is one of the best lightweights on the planet, but there are many MMA fans out there who don't know who he is. His 19-2 record and having avenged his two career losses have raised him to the #3 spot in the USA Today / SB Nation Consensus Rankings. With seemingly every other Strikeforce champion leaving the promotion for the UFC, it only made sense that Dana White started talking about wanting to bring Melendez into the UFC fold very soon.

Melendez was on The MMA Hour and talked about the buzz surrounding the eventual move:

"I'm definitely impressed by Frankie. He's an amazing fighter. He's great," Melendez said. "I honestly feel like I'm the No. 1 contender and I feel like I'm ready for the title shot now."

"I've been focusing on Jorge Masvidal," Melendez said. "He's the first guy in line. I think he's the No. 1 contender, as of now, in Strikeforce, and as of now I have to focus on that guy. He's real tough. But it's hard not to get excited when you hear all these rumors."

Regardless of who you favor in Melendez vs. Edgar, I feel confident saying that you're out of your mind if you don't think it would be a great fight.
Back to top Go down
MMAEYES
Black Belt
Black Belt
MMAEYES

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, FEDOR, NICK DIAZ

Gilbert Melendez Is Excited About Potential Jump to UFC, Ready for Title Shot Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gilbert Melendez Is Excited About Potential Jump to UFC, Ready for Title Shot   Gilbert Melendez Is Excited About Potential Jump to UFC, Ready for Title Shot EmptyTue Oct 11, 2011 2:22 pm

I just listened to this interview and I got to tell ya I think we all may be jumping the gun with this Gil coming over "NOW" talk.

Oh well Dana said this, Dana said that, if you listen to the interview Gil says he asked to talk to Dana and ask about his future. Dana didn't set a meeting with him to tell him he wants him and he's gonna bring him over, Gil called Dana and said why am I not in the ufc yet, can we talk about it? I don't know whats going on but listening to that interview sure didn't make me feel like their was any possibility for Gil to face Frankie next.
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

PostSubject: Re: Gilbert Melendez Is Excited About Potential Jump to UFC, Ready for Title Shot   Gilbert Melendez Is Excited About Potential Jump to UFC, Ready for Title Shot EmptyTue Oct 11, 2011 6:41 pm

I'm sure it has something to do with Showtime wanting to promote the Melendez-Masvidal fight they were intending on. They figure with only a few months left on the deal the UFC can atleast back the fuck off and let them keep SOME promotable fighters until the end.

That fight has been made for awhile now. I'm pretty sure Showtime had a strong idea of it headlining one of their few remaining SF cards. Zuffa already destroyed the GP with their "having to release Overeem for things that can't be changed only to sign him 2 weeks later" underhanded-ness now they want to trash the December show. With the ratings as they were for the last one, Showtime is probably done with that shit for now.

Gil better be careful. Masvidal is a big talented dude at LW who is now hitting his stride. I understand it's hard not to get excited if your Gil but i don't buy that he's focused on Masvidal who's not to be fucked with unfocused IMO.
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

Favorite Fighter(s) : Griffin, Franklin, Hendo, Sonnen, Wand, Lawler, Belfort, Pettis, Aldo, Mousasi

PostSubject: Re: Gilbert Melendez Is Excited About Potential Jump to UFC, Ready for Title Shot   Gilbert Melendez Is Excited About Potential Jump to UFC, Ready for Title Shot EmptyTue Oct 11, 2011 7:19 pm

I want Melendez-Masvidal to unify the titles.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: Gilbert Melendez Is Excited About Potential Jump to UFC, Ready for Title Shot   Gilbert Melendez Is Excited About Potential Jump to UFC, Ready for Title Shot EmptyWed Oct 26, 2011 2:38 pm

Melendez's trainer, Cesar Gracie, told Tatame.com that he absolutely believes this will be the champion's final fight under the Strikeforce banner:

"Absolutely. It'll be his last fight (in Strikeforce)", assures
the coach, who didn't have any doubts about Melendez's situation on the
lightweight division of the UFC, whose current title holder is Frankie Edgar. "I believe Melendez is the best of the world in this division."

Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, JOSH KOSCHECK, SPIDER

PostSubject: Re: Gilbert Melendez Is Excited About Potential Jump to UFC, Ready for Title Shot   Gilbert Melendez Is Excited About Potential Jump to UFC, Ready for Title Shot EmptyWed Oct 26, 2011 2:39 pm

Should be a great fight between Gil and frankie.
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: Gilbert Melendez Is Excited About Potential Jump to UFC, Ready for Title Shot   Gilbert Melendez Is Excited About Potential Jump to UFC, Ready for Title Shot EmptyWed Oct 26, 2011 2:56 pm

If Frankie still has the belt
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

PostSubject: Re: Gilbert Melendez Is Excited About Potential Jump to UFC, Ready for Title Shot   Gilbert Melendez Is Excited About Potential Jump to UFC, Ready for Title Shot EmptyWed Oct 26, 2011 2:58 pm

bobbitt15 wrote:
If Frankie still has the belt

U are right about that.
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: Gilbert Melendez Is Excited About Potential Jump to UFC, Ready for Title Shot   Gilbert Melendez Is Excited About Potential Jump to UFC, Ready for Title Shot EmptyWed Oct 26, 2011 3:01 pm

Gil fights in December, hopefully we see an Edgar-Bendo matchup around March and then he'll be ready
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

PostSubject: Re: Gilbert Melendez Is Excited About Potential Jump to UFC, Ready for Title Shot   Gilbert Melendez Is Excited About Potential Jump to UFC, Ready for Title Shot EmptyWed Oct 26, 2011 3:09 pm

I think Bendo wins that fight.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gilbert Melendez Is Excited About Potential Jump to UFC, Ready for Title Shot   Gilbert Melendez Is Excited About Potential Jump to UFC, Ready for Title Shot Empty

Back to top Go down

Gilbert Melendez Is Excited About Potential Jump to UFC, Ready for Title Shot
Page 1 of 1