Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

UFC 141: Brock Lesnar vs Alistair Overeem winner on Dec. 30 earns heavyweight title shot

Go down 
+6
KingsOwn19
GDPofDRC
timthebim
captain organic
acccardinal12
killerofchicken
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage

UFC 141: Brock Lesnar vs Alistair Overeem winner on Dec. 30 earns heavyweight title shot Empty
PostSubject: UFC 141: Brock Lesnar vs Alistair Overeem winner on Dec. 30 earns heavyweight title shot   UFC 141: Brock Lesnar vs Alistair Overeem winner on Dec. 30 earns heavyweight title shot EmptyWed Sep 21, 2011 7:52 am

http://www.mmamania.com/2011/9/21/2439611/ufc-141-brock-lesnar-vs-alistair-overeem-winner-on-dec-30-earns

Now that three of the five champions employed by Strikeforce having jumped the fence to the greener grass of the UFC, a couple patterns are emerging.

Simply holding a title upon entry into the world's largest fight promotion is not grounds to be inserted into an immediate championship fight. It is, however, enough to earn a number one contender bout.

We've seen this with welterweight champion Nick Diaz (blew his opportunity but will earn it again with win over B.J. Penn), light heavyweight champion Dan Henderson (will likely shoot to the top of the food chain with a win over Mauricio Rua) and now heavyweight champion Alistair Overeem.

Here's the word from UFC President Dana White on "The Reem" earning a chance at the division crown with a win over Brock Lesnar, who he'll take on at UFC 141 on Dec. 30 in Las Vegas, Nevada.

"Yeah, it is (a number one contender fight). That's a crazy fight. Imagine when those two square off at the weigh-ins. It's going to be awesome. I'm excited for that fight too. I'm excited to see, and I know the fans are too, I'm excited to see what Alistair Overeem has. People can yap and say whatever they want; when these guys come over to the UFC, it's a whole 'nother ball game. It's going to be a real good gauge to find out where Alistair really sits in the heavyweight division. I'd say it's pretty safe to say (that the winner of Cain Velasquez vs. Junior dos Santos will fight the winner of Lesnar vs. Overeem)."

"Demolition Man" hasn't lost a fight since 2007 and his stock is as high as it's ever been. Adding Lesnar to his long list of victims would make it damn near impossible to deny him a shot at the title.

Hear more from White in the full entry, including whether or not he ever considered having this fight headline UFC on FOX 1 on Nov. 12 and the Velasquez vs. Dos Santos bout that will happen that night instead.

Back to top Go down
killerofchicken
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
killerofchicken

Favorite Fighter(s) : Mauricio Shogun Rua, BJ Penn, AXE MURDERER,Fedor, CroCop, Vitor Belfort, JDS

UFC 141: Brock Lesnar vs Alistair Overeem winner on Dec. 30 earns heavyweight title shot Empty
PostSubject: Re: UFC 141: Brock Lesnar vs Alistair Overeem winner on Dec. 30 earns heavyweight title shot   UFC 141: Brock Lesnar vs Alistair Overeem winner on Dec. 30 earns heavyweight title shot EmptyWed Sep 21, 2011 10:56 am

it should be for the tittle, there really isn't anyone else to throw in the mix other than Mir if he beats Nog.
Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Cung Le, BJ Penn, Mayhem, Chael Sonnen, Anthony Pettis

PostSubject: Re: UFC 141: Brock Lesnar vs Alistair Overeem winner on Dec. 30 earns heavyweight title shot   UFC 141: Brock Lesnar vs Alistair Overeem winner on Dec. 30 earns heavyweight title shot EmptyWed Sep 21, 2011 5:17 pm

I really wanna see JDS vs Reem either way. If Cah-een wins I hope Brock beats Reem. Gonna be some good HW fights in the future. I just hope we don't end up seeing Brock vs Mir 3 no matter what happens.
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: UFC 141: Brock Lesnar vs Alistair Overeem winner on Dec. 30 earns heavyweight title shot   UFC 141: Brock Lesnar vs Alistair Overeem winner on Dec. 30 earns heavyweight title shot EmptyWed Sep 21, 2011 6:16 pm

bigbeastcardinal12 wrote:
I really wanna see JDS vs Reem either way. If Cah-een wins I hope Brock beats Reem. Gonna be some good HW fights in the future. I just hope we don't end up seeing Brock vs Mir 3 no matter what happens.

I think brock vs Mir 3 should happen at some point, but not in the next year and a half or so. Brock needs to build a non-mir resume.
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: UFC 141: Brock Lesnar vs Alistair Overeem winner on Dec. 30 earns heavyweight title shot   UFC 141: Brock Lesnar vs Alistair Overeem winner on Dec. 30 earns heavyweight title shot EmptyWed Sep 21, 2011 6:22 pm

Debateable as to wether brock would deserve a shot before Mir if both were to win.

Brock got clobbered by Cain, then sat injured on the sidelines for a year, then one win gets him another title shot? Shaky.

Mir meanwhile would be on a 3 fight win streak.

I'd rather roll with Mir, and let Brock get another win under his belt.

Reem winning(impressively of coarse) and getting a title shot would be in the UFC's best interest. Id be hyped for that.
Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

PostSubject: Re: UFC 141: Brock Lesnar vs Alistair Overeem winner on Dec. 30 earns heavyweight title shot   UFC 141: Brock Lesnar vs Alistair Overeem winner on Dec. 30 earns heavyweight title shot EmptyWed Sep 21, 2011 6:55 pm

Frank Mir doesn't deserve a title shot ever. I really hope guys like Travis Browne win more fights in the UFC so people will quit talking about Mir getting a title shot. He isn't good enough imo. After watching the 2 fights with Brock and the Carwin fight, I know Frank can't beat them or guys like JDS, Cain, and Reem.

Mir needs to be gaurding the top 5 as a gatekeeper.
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, JOSH KOSCHECK, SPIDER

PostSubject: Re: UFC 141: Brock Lesnar vs Alistair Overeem winner on Dec. 30 earns heavyweight title shot   UFC 141: Brock Lesnar vs Alistair Overeem winner on Dec. 30 earns heavyweight title shot EmptyWed Sep 21, 2011 6:56 pm

captain organic wrote:
Debateable as to wether brock would deserve a shot before Mir if both were to win.

Brock got clobbered by Cain, then sat injured on the sidelines for a year, then one win gets him another title shot? Shaky.

Reem winning(impressively of coarse) and getting a title shot would be in the UFC's best interest. Id be hyped for that.

And non of them would be as impressive as Brock coming off an injury and beating Overeem.
Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

PostSubject: Re: UFC 141: Brock Lesnar vs Alistair Overeem winner on Dec. 30 earns heavyweight title shot   UFC 141: Brock Lesnar vs Alistair Overeem winner on Dec. 30 earns heavyweight title shot EmptyWed Sep 21, 2011 6:58 pm

timthebim wrote:
captain organic wrote:

And non of them would be as impressive as Brock coming off an injury and beating Overeem.

very true!
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: UFC 141: Brock Lesnar vs Alistair Overeem winner on Dec. 30 earns heavyweight title shot   UFC 141: Brock Lesnar vs Alistair Overeem winner on Dec. 30 earns heavyweight title shot EmptyWed Sep 21, 2011 6:59 pm

Frank Mir doesn't deserve a title shot ever. I really hope guys like Travis Browne win more fights in the UFC so people will quit talking about Mir getting a title shot. He isn't good enough imo. After watching the 2 fights with Brock and the Carwin fight, I know Frank can't beat them or guys like JDS, Cain, and Reem.

But mir did beat Brock.

And given the landscape he is one of the best options out there.
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

PostSubject: Re: UFC 141: Brock Lesnar vs Alistair Overeem winner on Dec. 30 earns heavyweight title shot   UFC 141: Brock Lesnar vs Alistair Overeem winner on Dec. 30 earns heavyweight title shot EmptyWed Sep 21, 2011 7:01 pm

captain organic wrote:

But mir did beat Brock.

Kinda flukish wasnt it?
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: UFC 141: Brock Lesnar vs Alistair Overeem winner on Dec. 30 earns heavyweight title shot   UFC 141: Brock Lesnar vs Alistair Overeem winner on Dec. 30 earns heavyweight title shot EmptyWed Sep 21, 2011 7:02 pm

timthebim wrote:
captain organic wrote:

3 quality wins nonetheless. Brock only has 5 wins total in his career. 4 of them can be considered quality.

I dunno, especially if Cain wins. Are people going to be amped for that rematch?
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: UFC 141: Brock Lesnar vs Alistair Overeem winner on Dec. 30 earns heavyweight title shot   UFC 141: Brock Lesnar vs Alistair Overeem winner on Dec. 30 earns heavyweight title shot EmptyWed Sep 21, 2011 7:03 pm

timthebim wrote:
captain organic wrote:

But mir did beat Brock.

Kinda flukish wasnt it?

No doubt, but beast cannot say that Mir can't beat brock.
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

PostSubject: Re: UFC 141: Brock Lesnar vs Alistair Overeem winner on Dec. 30 earns heavyweight title shot   UFC 141: Brock Lesnar vs Alistair Overeem winner on Dec. 30 earns heavyweight title shot EmptyWed Sep 21, 2011 7:04 pm

captain organic wrote:
timthebim wrote:
captain organic wrote:

3 quality wins nonetheless. Brock only has 5 wins total in his career. 4 of them can be considered quality.

I dunno, especially if Cain wins. Are people going to be amped for that rematch?

Depends on how impressive Brock is in beating Overeem. If he destroys Overeem they can always sell it as Brock had a bad night against Cain and chumps like me would buy into it.
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: UFC 141: Brock Lesnar vs Alistair Overeem winner on Dec. 30 earns heavyweight title shot   UFC 141: Brock Lesnar vs Alistair Overeem winner on Dec. 30 earns heavyweight title shot EmptyWed Sep 21, 2011 7:10 pm

timthebim wrote:
captain organic wrote:
timthebim wrote:
captain organic wrote:

Depends on how impressive Brock is in beating Overeem. If he destroys Overeem they can always sell it as Brock had a bad night against Cain and chumps like me would buy into it.

I would never call u a chump tim.

To your face.
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

PostSubject: Re: UFC 141: Brock Lesnar vs Alistair Overeem winner on Dec. 30 earns heavyweight title shot   UFC 141: Brock Lesnar vs Alistair Overeem winner on Dec. 30 earns heavyweight title shot EmptyWed Sep 21, 2011 7:12 pm

captain organic wrote:
timthebim wrote:
captain organic wrote:
timthebim wrote:
captain organic wrote:

I would never call u a chump tim.

To your face.

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

PostSubject: Re: UFC 141: Brock Lesnar vs Alistair Overeem winner on Dec. 30 earns heavyweight title shot   UFC 141: Brock Lesnar vs Alistair Overeem winner on Dec. 30 earns heavyweight title shot EmptyWed Sep 21, 2011 7:30 pm

Mir never beat Brock. The first fight Brock got pulled off of Mir and the ref just informed us all wrong. We thought Mazzagati was saying "one point", but he was actually saying brock is #1. Brock thought the fight was over and that slimey Frank Mir had to resort to tickling Brocks foot which is how you beat Lesnar unless you are Cain.

What would u do without me man?

Brock vs Mir 1 was bullshit and you know it
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

PostSubject: Re: UFC 141: Brock Lesnar vs Alistair Overeem winner on Dec. 30 earns heavyweight title shot   UFC 141: Brock Lesnar vs Alistair Overeem winner on Dec. 30 earns heavyweight title shot EmptyWed Sep 21, 2011 7:32 pm

No such thing as a lucky sub...
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/v/skCV2L0c6K0
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

PostSubject: Re: UFC 141: Brock Lesnar vs Alistair Overeem winner on Dec. 30 earns heavyweight title shot   UFC 141: Brock Lesnar vs Alistair Overeem winner on Dec. 30 earns heavyweight title shot EmptyWed Sep 21, 2011 7:44 pm

GDPofDRC wrote:
No such thing as a lucky sub...

after a ref screws the fight up? there is such a thing and that was the one time I have seen it. Mir was getting his ass handed to him and only Brock haters would disagree and count that as a real win. That win only counts in the books. Brock beat the shit out of Frank in the 2nd fight. There is no reason for a 3rd fight imo. Fun how people think it's a trilogy or something. It's people that talk about fight 1 being legit that are gonna get us stuck with that fight when it isn't needed.
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

PostSubject: Re: UFC 141: Brock Lesnar vs Alistair Overeem winner on Dec. 30 earns heavyweight title shot   UFC 141: Brock Lesnar vs Alistair Overeem winner on Dec. 30 earns heavyweight title shot EmptyWed Sep 21, 2011 7:48 pm

Please remove Brock's gonads from your mouth and say that again. Between all the swishing noise it almost sounded like you were saying Brock tapping his hand over and over again in agony to submit wasn't a legitimate loss. That Shirley cannot be the case.
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

PostSubject: Re: UFC 141: Brock Lesnar vs Alistair Overeem winner on Dec. 30 earns heavyweight title shot   UFC 141: Brock Lesnar vs Alistair Overeem winner on Dec. 30 earns heavyweight title shot EmptyWed Sep 21, 2011 8:28 pm

No shock there. It could have been Lesnar vs. Door from UFC 100 countdown II and it would have been a title eliminator.
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

PostSubject: Re: UFC 141: Brock Lesnar vs Alistair Overeem winner on Dec. 30 earns heavyweight title shot   UFC 141: Brock Lesnar vs Alistair Overeem winner on Dec. 30 earns heavyweight title shot EmptyWed Sep 21, 2011 9:47 pm

KingsOwn19 wrote:
No shock there. It could have been Lesnar vs. Door from UFC 100 countdown II and it would have been a title eliminator.

That would have been a great fight.
Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

PostSubject: Re: UFC 141: Brock Lesnar vs Alistair Overeem winner on Dec. 30 earns heavyweight title shot   UFC 141: Brock Lesnar vs Alistair Overeem winner on Dec. 30 earns heavyweight title shot EmptyWed Sep 21, 2011 10:33 pm

GDPofDRC wrote:
Please remove Brock's gonads from your mouth and say that again. Between all the swishing noise it almost sounded like you were saying Brock tapping his hand over and over again in agony to submit wasn't a legitimate loss. That Shirley cannot be the case.

That was Cung's gonads thank you very much. Get it right Nancy!

No Mazzagatti, no win for Mir against a green Lesnar. No 3rd fight needed!
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

PostSubject: Re: UFC 141: Brock Lesnar vs Alistair Overeem winner on Dec. 30 earns heavyweight title shot   UFC 141: Brock Lesnar vs Alistair Overeem winner on Dec. 30 earns heavyweight title shot EmptyWed Sep 21, 2011 10:35 pm

do you think all of the other Refs would just let him keep punching the back of franks head like that ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: UFC 141: Brock Lesnar vs Alistair Overeem winner on Dec. 30 earns heavyweight title shot   UFC 141: Brock Lesnar vs Alistair Overeem winner on Dec. 30 earns heavyweight title shot EmptyThu Sep 22, 2011 12:04 am

Brock was throwing legit punches and then Mir turned his head. It was Mir's fault not Brock's.
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

PostSubject: Re: UFC 141: Brock Lesnar vs Alistair Overeem winner on Dec. 30 earns heavyweight title shot   UFC 141: Brock Lesnar vs Alistair Overeem winner on Dec. 30 earns heavyweight title shot EmptyThu Sep 22, 2011 1:26 am

The double standard for Brock.

Mir turned his head because doing so typically would mean that the punches would stop coming because they would then become illegal. Brock didnt get the memo. Mir has every right to turn his head, almost every case of a fighter getting punched in the back of the head is the the guy getting punched in the back of the head fault going by the "Bwock was wobbed" logic.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: UFC 141: Brock Lesnar vs Alistair Overeem winner on Dec. 30 earns heavyweight title shot   UFC 141: Brock Lesnar vs Alistair Overeem winner on Dec. 30 earns heavyweight title shot Empty

Back to top Go down

UFC 141: Brock Lesnar vs Alistair Overeem winner on Dec. 30 earns heavyweight title shot
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next