Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Vitor Belfort Parts Ways with Trainer Shawn Tompkins Ahead of UFC 126

Go down 
+4
Birdofthad
Wolfgangsta
timthebim
killerofchicken
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
killerofchicken
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
killerofchicken

Favorite Fighter(s) : Mauricio Shogun Rua, BJ Penn, AXE MURDERER,Fedor, CroCop, Vitor Belfort, JDS

Vitor Belfort Parts Ways with Trainer Shawn Tompkins Ahead of UFC 126 Empty
PostSubject: Vitor Belfort Parts Ways with Trainer Shawn Tompkins Ahead of UFC 126   Vitor Belfort Parts Ways with Trainer Shawn Tompkins Ahead of UFC 126 EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 2:18 pm

Quote :
Vitor Belfort has worked with striking coach Shawn Tompkins since mid-2008, when Belfort first walked into the gym of longtime rival Randy Couture in hopes of training with him.

The union between coach and fighter has been productive. Belfort earned three knockouts in three fights while under Tompkins' watch. But with Belfort in the midst of preparation for the biggest match of his career -- a UFC 126 title shot against champ Anderson Silva -- the partnership is apparently over.

On the Tuesday edition of The Fight Show with Mauro Ranallo, Tompkins briefly addressed the situation, as well as the recent story that Belfort was training with former boxing great Mike Tyson.

"Well, you know, Vitor's done this before. Vitor sometimes, he gets a little clouded in his head," Tompkins said. It's not that he brought in Mike Tyson or anything like that. Vitor just wanders, you know, and he goes where what's happening, what's famous, what's popular and he'll go over there. Mike Tyson isn't teaching him anything. Neither is the other eight gyms that he's training at. Just because he's over at Couture's and not with me doesn't mean he's with Couture. Vitor isn't loyal to anybody. We've seen it before."

The middleweight star hasn't fought since a Sept. 2009 knockout over Rich Franklin at UFC 103.

Since then, two dates with divisional champion Silva have been postponed by injuries. Belfort and Tompkins were still working together in the fall of 2010, but now, Belfort's gone in another direction, much to the chagrin of his former trainer.

"I hope for the best for him, but you know, for a guy who told me about respect, loyalty, and God and all this stuff for so many years, he sure did prove the opposite," Tompkins said. "So, we'll see. Best of luck to him. Best of luck to Anderson, as well."

Belfort is reportedly training his striking under Xtreme Couture coach Gil Martinez, a well-respected trainer who most recently prepared Gray Maynard for his title shot against Frankie Edgar.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2011/01/19/vitor-belfort-parts-ways-with-trainer-shawn-tompkins-ahead-of-uf/
Back to top Go down
killerofchicken
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
killerofchicken

Favorite Fighter(s) : Mauricio Shogun Rua, BJ Penn, AXE MURDERER,Fedor, CroCop, Vitor Belfort, JDS

PostSubject: Re: Vitor Belfort Parts Ways with Trainer Shawn Tompkins Ahead of UFC 126   Vitor Belfort Parts Ways with Trainer Shawn Tompkins Ahead of UFC 126 EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 2:27 pm

does this worry anyone else but me? with belforts past this kinda scares me a lil
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, JOSH KOSCHECK, SPIDER

PostSubject: Re: Vitor Belfort Parts Ways with Trainer Shawn Tompkins Ahead of UFC 126   Vitor Belfort Parts Ways with Trainer Shawn Tompkins Ahead of UFC 126 EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 3:08 pm

Well what scares me more than switching camps is the fact he hasnt fought since September of 09!!!!! Damn I hadnt realized it had been that long.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

PostSubject: Re: Vitor Belfort Parts Ways with Trainer Shawn Tompkins Ahead of UFC 126   Vitor Belfort Parts Ways with Trainer Shawn Tompkins Ahead of UFC 126 EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 3:43 pm

Makes me wonder as much about Tompkins as anyone else.
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: Vitor Belfort Parts Ways with Trainer Shawn Tompkins Ahead of UFC 126   Vitor Belfort Parts Ways with Trainer Shawn Tompkins Ahead of UFC 126 EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 4:34 pm

tompkins is just being a pussy, so what people dont have a right to change camps now?

Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: Vitor Belfort Parts Ways with Trainer Shawn Tompkins Ahead of UFC 126   Vitor Belfort Parts Ways with Trainer Shawn Tompkins Ahead of UFC 126 EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 5:11 pm

Hasn't Tompkins said things like this before about other fighters? His name seems to pop up in these type of things a lot
Back to top Go down
killerofchicken
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
killerofchicken

PostSubject: Re: Vitor Belfort Parts Ways with Trainer Shawn Tompkins Ahead of UFC 126   Vitor Belfort Parts Ways with Trainer Shawn Tompkins Ahead of UFC 126 EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 5:15 pm

he might just be a sour puss Very Happy
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

PostSubject: Re: Vitor Belfort Parts Ways with Trainer Shawn Tompkins Ahead of UFC 126   Vitor Belfort Parts Ways with Trainer Shawn Tompkins Ahead of UFC 126 EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 6:32 pm

killerofchicken wrote:

I would be to if I got dumped 3 weeks before a Mega fight lol.
Back to top Go down
killerofchicken
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
killerofchicken

PostSubject: Re: Vitor Belfort Parts Ways with Trainer Shawn Tompkins Ahead of UFC 126   Vitor Belfort Parts Ways with Trainer Shawn Tompkins Ahead of UFC 126 EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 6:33 pm

timthebim wrote:
killerofchicken wrote:

I would be to if I got dumped 3 weeks before a Mega fight lol.
damn, i didnt know he JUST dumped him lol
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Vitor Belfort Parts Ways with Trainer Shawn Tompkins Ahead of UFC 126   Vitor Belfort Parts Ways with Trainer Shawn Tompkins Ahead of UFC 126 EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 8:02 pm

so is it a dumping, or was Belfort working with other camps anyway so this really isn't a big change?

Cause if it's the former, and Vitor was working a majority of his camp with Tompkins, then that is an unwise decision by Belfort.

Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Vitor Belfort Parts Ways with Trainer Shawn Tompkins Ahead of UFC 126   Vitor Belfort Parts Ways with Trainer Shawn Tompkins Ahead of UFC 126 EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 8:04 pm

timthebim wrote:
Well what scares me more than switching camps is the fact he hasnt fought since September of 09!!!!! Damn I hadnt realized it had been that long.

Yeah, unless the last couple fights really shown that Silva's age is becoming a factor, I think he beats down Vitor. Way too long a layoff(and now a coach switch?) to go into a mega fight.
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

PostSubject: Re: Vitor Belfort Parts Ways with Trainer Shawn Tompkins Ahead of UFC 126   Vitor Belfort Parts Ways with Trainer Shawn Tompkins Ahead of UFC 126 EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 9:31 pm

Yeah I really think Vitor is a live dog but I still believe Spider wins in devastating fashion.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: Vitor Belfort Parts Ways with Trainer Shawn Tompkins Ahead of UFC 126   Vitor Belfort Parts Ways with Trainer Shawn Tompkins Ahead of UFC 126 EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 10:18 am

Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Vitor Belfort Parts Ways with Trainer Shawn Tompkins Ahead of UFC 126   Vitor Belfort Parts Ways with Trainer Shawn Tompkins Ahead of UFC 126 EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 12:21 pm

Randy and Tompkins didn't have a clean divorce either. I really wonder about Shawn these days.
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva, Jose Aldo

PostSubject: Re: Vitor Belfort Parts Ways with Trainer Shawn Tompkins Ahead of UFC 126   Vitor Belfort Parts Ways with Trainer Shawn Tompkins Ahead of UFC 126 EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 12:22 pm

Not a big deal, Shawn is mostly a striking coach, training with Randy is better for a fight with Anderson, the blueprint for beating him is with wrestling and control.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: Vitor Belfort Parts Ways with Trainer Shawn Tompkins Ahead of UFC 126   Vitor Belfort Parts Ways with Trainer Shawn Tompkins Ahead of UFC 126 EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 12:27 pm

LA wrote:
Not a big deal, Shawn is mostly a striking coach, training with Randy is better for a fight with Anderson, the blueprint for beating him is with wrestling and control.

Well the blueprint for Vitor to beat Anderson is knock him out. He is one of the rare guys that can hang with Anderson standing up.
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

PostSubject: Re: Vitor Belfort Parts Ways with Trainer Shawn Tompkins Ahead of UFC 126   Vitor Belfort Parts Ways with Trainer Shawn Tompkins Ahead of UFC 126 EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 12:31 pm

Not what I'd be telling him
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Vitor Belfort Parts Ways with Trainer Shawn Tompkins Ahead of UFC 126   Vitor Belfort Parts Ways with Trainer Shawn Tompkins Ahead of UFC 126 EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 12:33 pm

LA wrote:
Not what I'd be telling him

Why? You don't think Vitor can knock him out?
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

PostSubject: Re: Vitor Belfort Parts Ways with Trainer Shawn Tompkins Ahead of UFC 126   Vitor Belfort Parts Ways with Trainer Shawn Tompkins Ahead of UFC 126 EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 12:40 pm

Possible, but I think that gameplan would end the other way around.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Vitor Belfort Parts Ways with Trainer Shawn Tompkins Ahead of UFC 126   Vitor Belfort Parts Ways with Trainer Shawn Tompkins Ahead of UFC 126 EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 12:44 pm

LA wrote:
Possible, but I think that gameplan would end the other way around.

As a fan, I'm sure you are HOPING that is the case lol
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

PostSubject: Re: Vitor Belfort Parts Ways with Trainer Shawn Tompkins Ahead of UFC 126   Vitor Belfort Parts Ways with Trainer Shawn Tompkins Ahead of UFC 126 EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 12:56 pm

I like Vitor too, just me saying I would have a different gameplan then telling him to stand and try and KO Anderson.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Vitor Belfort Parts Ways with Trainer Shawn Tompkins Ahead of UFC 126   Vitor Belfort Parts Ways with Trainer Shawn Tompkins Ahead of UFC 126 EmptyFri Jan 21, 2011 12:53 pm

Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Vitor Belfort Parts Ways with Trainer Shawn Tompkins Ahead of UFC 126   Vitor Belfort Parts Ways with Trainer Shawn Tompkins Ahead of UFC 126 EmptyFri Jan 21, 2011 2:44 pm

The game plan wouldn't be to "stand and KO" simply. I don't think Vitor has ever shown the ability to exploit what Sonnen did. He needs to fight his fight. Matrix Dance around those punches Spidey, I dare ya.
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Vitor Belfort Parts Ways with Trainer Shawn Tompkins Ahead of UFC 126   Vitor Belfort Parts Ways with Trainer Shawn Tompkins Ahead of UFC 126 EmptyFri Jan 21, 2011 2:56 pm

Wolfgangsta wrote:
The game plan wouldn't be to "stand and KO" simply. I don't think Vitor has ever shown the ability to exploit what Sonnen did. He needs to fight his fight. Matrix Dance around those punches Spidey, I dare ya.

agree, Vitor is not Sonnen, striking is Vitor's game, wrestling is not.

Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

PostSubject: Re: Vitor Belfort Parts Ways with Trainer Shawn Tompkins Ahead of UFC 126   Vitor Belfort Parts Ways with Trainer Shawn Tompkins Ahead of UFC 126 EmptyFri Jan 21, 2011 3:00 pm

Yeah but lets not act like Anderson has BJ Penn takedown defense, Vitor could get him down easily, that is Anderson's weakness, but I hope Vitor does stand with Anderson Sleep
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Vitor Belfort Parts Ways with Trainer Shawn Tompkins Ahead of UFC 126   Vitor Belfort Parts Ways with Trainer Shawn Tompkins Ahead of UFC 126 Empty

Back to top Go down

Vitor Belfort Parts Ways with Trainer Shawn Tompkins Ahead of UFC 126
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next