Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Frank Shamrock Blames Dana White for Negative Perception of MMA in New York

Go down 
+2
bobbitt15
captain organic
6 posters
AuthorMessage
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

Frank Shamrock Blames Dana White for Negative Perception of MMA in New York Empty
PostSubject: Frank Shamrock Blames Dana White for Negative Perception of MMA in New York    Frank Shamrock Blames Dana White for Negative Perception of MMA in New York EmptyMon Oct 18, 2010 10:08 pm

http://www.mmafighting.com/2010/10/1...a-in-new-york/

As much as UFC president Dana White and the UFC have done to help build the credibility of MMA around the world, White is also one of major the obstacles keeping the sport from being legalized in New York, according to Frank Shamrock.

"The face of our sport is Dana White and out here in conservative New York, the way people think, bald-headed, tattoo'd, swearing people are just not a good representative of our brand and unfortunately people think that Dana White speaks for MMA, and they're confused," Shamrock said Monday on The MMA Hour. "They don't know he speaks for the UFC. I don't think it's all on him, but we're entering a new era of social media and Dana is a very outspoken figure in every way, mostly with the f-bomb and all that. I'm a martial artist. To me, the art is the most important thing. I don't get the same thing from Dana, that's all."

There's a certain lifestyle and character of a martial artist and Shamrock says he wouldn't categorize White as such.

"I don't believe that Dana White is a martial artist," Shamrock said, never shy to dispense UFC criticism. "I don't see a martial way that he is following."

The importance of MMA for Shamrock is clearly more than just business and fandom. Shamrock struggled with a troubled childhood, becoming a ward of the State of California at 12 and incarcerated by 18. It was his involvement in MMA that Shamrock credits for turning his life around.

"I probably wouldn't have had the rough life I had, I probably wouldn't have went to jail, I probably wouldn't have done all those things," Shamrock said. "Because I didn't have a way, a life, I grew up very poor, abused. I didn't know there was a better way. [MMA] is the better way. That's why I'm so passionate about it. That's why we got to do something for the arts."

To get closer where his voice will be heard, Shamrock in February 2011 will be relocating from his longtime home in San Jose to the Big Apple. In New York, he plans on educating legislators and positioning a sport in a different light, much different from the UFC's, says Shamrock.

"In no uncertain terms, what [New York politicians] have said is, 'The appearance of the sport is something we're not ready for,' and the appearance of the sport is Dana White and the UFC because no one else has been here in the media and explain it and has credibility, who's done it," Shamrock said.

With competitive MMA out of his system after formally announcing his retirement in June, Shamrock will continue announcing for Showtime and his efforts to advance the sport. Thinking a makeover of MMA in the legislation's eyes is the answer, Shamrock wants to step in as the man to do it.

"I know what the art is and I'm here to represent it," Shamrock said. "I think that's all we need. We need a different face."

Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

Frank Shamrock Blames Dana White for Negative Perception of MMA in New York Empty
PostSubject: Re: Frank Shamrock Blames Dana White for Negative Perception of MMA in New York    Frank Shamrock Blames Dana White for Negative Perception of MMA in New York EmptyMon Oct 18, 2010 10:10 pm

If he's as good at promoting MMA as he is commentating on fights, we'll be looking at a UFC card in MSG in no time
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

PostSubject: Re: Frank Shamrock Blames Dana White for Negative Perception of MMA in New York    Frank Shamrock Blames Dana White for Negative Perception of MMA in New York EmptyMon Oct 18, 2010 10:21 pm

Of course Frank blames Dana.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: Frank Shamrock Blames Dana White for Negative Perception of MMA in New York    Frank Shamrock Blames Dana White for Negative Perception of MMA in New York EmptyMon Oct 18, 2010 10:46 pm

cool to her Frank repping the sport
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva, Jose Aldo

PostSubject: Re: Frank Shamrock Blames Dana White for Negative Perception of MMA in New York    Frank Shamrock Blames Dana White for Negative Perception of MMA in New York EmptyTue Oct 19, 2010 3:00 am

Meh
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: Frank Shamrock Blames Dana White for Negative Perception of MMA in New York    Frank Shamrock Blames Dana White for Negative Perception of MMA in New York EmptyWed Oct 20, 2010 11:31 pm

Dana response at 9:16

Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Frank Shamrock Blames Dana White for Negative Perception of MMA in New York    Frank Shamrock Blames Dana White for Negative Perception of MMA in New York EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 12:06 am

Dag, Dana lays it on heavy.

Dana vs Frank?
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: Frank Shamrock Blames Dana White for Negative Perception of MMA in New York    Frank Shamrock Blames Dana White for Negative Perception of MMA in New York EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 11:20 am

Frank Shamrock Blames Dana White for Negative Perception of MMA in New York S25z5k
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Frank Shamrock Blames Dana White for Negative Perception of MMA in New York    Frank Shamrock Blames Dana White for Negative Perception of MMA in New York Empty

Back to top Go down

Frank Shamrock Blames Dana White for Negative Perception of MMA in New York
Page 1 of 1