Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Which US network/channel would be a good platform for boxing?

Go down 
+7
marbleheadmaui
Groundhog_Day
RUM CAPITAL
Wolfgangsta
gomez1012
captainanddew
Canvas
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Canvas
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Which US network/channel would be a good platform for boxing? Empty
PostSubject: Which US network/channel would be a good platform for boxing?   Which US network/channel would be a good platform for boxing? EmptySun Sep 12, 2010 4:39 pm

I don't know why the promoters aren't doing more to expose their fighters other than begging on their knees with hat-in-hand at the door step of HBO/Showtime. There are world-class overseas fights that are there to be had almost for free to any U.S. broadcaster willing to show it.

Versus was a fantastic opportunity to showcase boxing to a broader audience, but unfortunately Top Rank's short sighted greed destroyed that.

Besides the obvious big 4 over-the-air networks (ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox), which networks do you see as a possible platform to get boxing more mainstream exposure? Please limit your suggestions to one or two, and provied your reasons, rather than just listing off every channel.

Last edited by Canvas on Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
captainanddew
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ricky Burns

PostSubject: Re: Which US network/channel would be a good platform for boxing?   Which US network/channel would be a good platform for boxing? EmptySun Sep 12, 2010 4:48 pm

I'd love to see ESPN beef up their budget and make a real run at boxing.

Versus- Top Rank absolutely abused Versus prison style. Feeding us Tye Fields after Tye Fields extravaganza. Rather pathetic.
Back to top Go down
gomez1012
Black Belt
Black Belt
gomez1012

PostSubject: Re: Which US network/channel would be a good platform for boxing?   Which US network/channel would be a good platform for boxing? EmptySun Sep 12, 2010 4:58 pm

ESPN2

Bring back WNFs for prospects
FNFs doing what they have been doing
and the Boxing Specials for the big fights
Back to top Go down
Canvas
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Which US network/channel would be a good platform for boxing?   Which US network/channel would be a good platform for boxing? EmptySun Sep 12, 2010 5:03 pm

I think HDNet would be a perfect fit. It reaches a young demographic and covers every other combat sport, including K1 and pro wrestling. It would present boxing in glorious picture quality.

I also think there is a HUGE opportunity with an upstart network like ION, which is broadcast OTA(over the air) in HD in each of the top 20 markets in the USA, and 39 of the top 50 markets.

This is a big advantage because you do not need to subscribe to cable or satellite to receive it (ION), therefore the potential audience is much bigger than a channel that is on premium cable. They currently are showing a lot of syndicated reruns to fill out their schedule, and they wish to cover variety programming, including sports.

If a promoter approached either of these outlets and offered them a weekly show for a very small licence fee (like FNF), the networks would be willing to spend some money on production.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

PostSubject: Re: Which US network/channel would be a good platform for boxing?   Which US network/channel would be a good platform for boxing? EmptySun Sep 12, 2010 7:14 pm

Great call on HDnet, especially if it could be promoted under the HDnet fights banner and lumped in with K1 and MMA, this would tap into a striking oriented, young and energetic combat sports demographic.

Similarly, Spike would be a good fit if they could market it in a way that would resonate to the UFC viewers there. I firmly believe exciting fighters stuck in front of UFC fans would work. Defensive dancers and hug and holders not so much, but exciting offensive fighters shown to UFC fans would be great for boxing.

I'm not sure boxing would pander to MMA's demographic out of foolish pride though.

VS isn't a great network though for this. They already show boxing sometimes firstly, and secondly they promote a UFC owned brand with the best bantams and featherweight MMA fighters in the world and no one watches it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
RUM CAPITAL
Blue Belt
Blue Belt
RUM CAPITAL

Favorite Fighter(s) : Carlos Ortiz,Henry Armstrong and Wilfredo Gomez

PostSubject: Re: Which US network/channel would be a good platform for boxing?   Which US network/channel would be a good platform for boxing? EmptySun Sep 12, 2010 10:32 pm

i actually miss the usa network fights with the champ as a commentator.
Back to top Go down
Groundhog_Day
Orange Belt
Orange Belt
Groundhog_Day

Favorite Fighter(s) : Manny Pacquiao

PostSubject: Re: Which US network/channel would be a good platform for boxing?   Which US network/channel would be a good platform for boxing? EmptySun Sep 12, 2010 10:45 pm

I agree that Spike may actually work.. but how are you gonna convinced this generation of teens and college kids that boxing is cool?
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

Favorite Fighter(s) : Arguello, Finito, Duran, Saad Muhammad

PostSubject: Re: Which US network/channel would be a good platform for boxing?   Which US network/channel would be a good platform for boxing? EmptySun Sep 12, 2010 11:22 pm

RUM CAPITAL wrote:

Weren't those fun?
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

PostSubject: Re: Which US network/channel would be a good platform for boxing?   Which US network/channel would be a good platform for boxing? EmptySun Sep 12, 2010 11:32 pm

Knockouts convince people. If some truly exciting fighters were on Spike, I'd imagine it would steal those MMA fans out there that complain and cry everytime it hits the mat. I'd kind of like to police those fags out of MMA anyway.
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: Which US network/channel would be a good platform for boxing?   Which US network/channel would be a good platform for boxing? EmptyMon Sep 13, 2010 12:06 am

i agree wolf if guys like Katsidias and Juan Diaz and other guys constantly in barn burners would go to Spike it would be good

also remember you dont necessarily need a KO you jsut need barn burning entertainment

Ward vs Gatti 3 fights all awesome on the eyes = 0 KOs

or put Berto and other good youngsters vs some stay busy competition
Back to top Go down
WinstonSmith
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
WinstonSmith

Favorite Fighter(s) : Marvin Hagler,Ben Henderson,Rich Franklin,Clay Guida

PostSubject: Re: Which US network/channel would be a good platform for boxing?   Which US network/channel would be a good platform for boxing? EmptyMon Sep 13, 2010 12:09 am

I miss Tim Ryan and Gil Clancy.
Back to top Go down
flapanther2001
Orange Belt
Orange Belt
flapanther2001

Favorite Fighter(s) : Aaron Pryor, Rocky Marciano, Arturo Gatti

PostSubject: Re: Which US network/channel would be a good platform for boxing?   Which US network/channel would be a good platform for boxing? EmptyMon Sep 13, 2010 2:08 am

marbleheadmaui wrote:
RUM CAPITAL wrote:

Weren't those fun?
USA Tuesday Night Fights was a great show. I actually got to sit at the announcer's table one time with Sean O'Grady & Al Albert. Good times. They put on some great match ups.
Back to top Go down
hardcoreBEE24
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Thomas Hearns

PostSubject: Re: Which US network/channel would be a good platform for boxing?   Which US network/channel would be a good platform for boxing? EmptyMon Sep 13, 2010 4:49 am

Saturday Matinee fights on a network like NBC. I work there so I'd be doing the event. I'm already the boxing guy for Boxeo en Telemundo (I'm doing the fight Friday night). We Broadcast both networks with the same staff in the same section of the same floor. We have the experience and knowledge to bring boxing to a major Network level. "Sponsors won't take a chance on such a niche sport." This is what a one executive in sales told me when I asked him why we don't have boxing anymore. (We're in fourth place by the way what the fuck does he know). We could replace pointless Pro Am golf events and cut back on extreme sports on Saturday afternoons and once in a while sneak in a Boxing event. We currently air Belator (MMA) on Saturday night/Sunday mornings, but that airs like an infomercial where Belator buys the whole half hour and we don't run commercials or promotional material, Belator sells their own stuff. I think that is the best way for promoters to get Boxing to a network level, incur all of the costs and sell their own commercials that will air during the event. That way the network only has to sell the time slot and doesn't have to worry about individual commercial sales. This way everybody gets paid and I feel the promoters would likely stack cards in order to get more viewership so they themselves could charge more money for advertisement.
Back to top Go down
Canvas
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Which US network/channel would be a good platform for boxing?   Which US network/channel would be a good platform for boxing? EmptyMon Sep 13, 2010 9:30 am

^ ^ ^ Gary Shaw was going to try that a few years ago with a Tarver fight. He was going to purchase a block of programming (on ABC, I think) and sell his own advertising.

It obviously didn't happen.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Which US network/channel would be a good platform for boxing?   Which US network/channel would be a good platform for boxing? EmptyMon Sep 13, 2010 9:37 am

I miss Tuesday night fights on USA.
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

Favorite Fighter(s) : Arguello, Finito, Duran, Saad Muhammad

PostSubject: Re: Which US network/channel would be a good platform for boxing?   Which US network/channel would be a good platform for boxing? EmptyMon Sep 13, 2010 3:41 pm

hardcoreBEE24 wrote:
Saturday Matinee fights on a network like NBC. I work there so I'd be doing the event. I'm already the boxing guy for Boxeo en Telemundo (I'm doing the fight Friday night). We Broadcast both networks with the same staff in the same section of the same floor. We have the experience and knowledge to bring boxing to a major Network level. "Sponsors won't take a chance on such a niche sport." This is what a one executive in sales told me when I asked him why we don't have boxing anymore. (We're in fourth place by the way what the fuck does he know). We could replace pointless Pro Am golf events and cut back on extreme sports on Saturday afternoons and once in a while sneak in a Boxing event. We currently air Belator (MMA) on Saturday night/Sunday mornings, but that airs like an infomercial where Belator buys the whole half hour and we don't run commercials or promotional material, Belator sells their own stuff. I think that is the best way for promoters to get Boxing to a network level, incur all of the costs and sell their own commercials that will air during the event. That way the network only has to sell the time slot and doesn't have to worry about individual commercial sales. This way everybody gets paid and I feel the promoters would likely stack cards in order to get more viewership so they themselves could charge more money for advertisement.

Thanks for the insider's view. A lot to think about.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Which US network/channel would be a good platform for boxing?   Which US network/channel would be a good platform for boxing? Empty

Back to top Go down

Which US network/channel would be a good platform for boxing?
Page 1 of 1