Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Lou DiBella "Boxing is in decline"

Go down 
+4
RUM CAPITAL
Birdofthad
Canvas
SlickMoneyXL
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

Lou DiBella "Boxing is in decline" - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lou DiBella "Boxing is in decline"   Lou DiBella "Boxing is in decline" - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 09, 2010 10:38 pm

Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
RUM CAPITAL
Blue Belt
Blue Belt
RUM CAPITAL

Favorite Fighter(s) : Carlos Ortiz,Henry Armstrong and Wilfredo Gomez

PostSubject: Re: Lou DiBella "Boxing is in decline"   Lou DiBella "Boxing is in decline" - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 09, 2010 10:40 pm

Ali_1748 wrote:
Don King and Bob Arum are old men, how will boxing in America cope without those two high profile promoters once they retire ?
lou will quit bitching and take their place. simple as that....say what you want about lou but he gained my respect when he released jermain taylor after his third ko loss. he could've been greedy and continue to cash him out until taylor eats from a straw but lou showed more character than that.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lou DiBella "Boxing is in decline"   Lou DiBella "Boxing is in decline" - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 09, 2010 10:40 pm

captainanddew wrote:
Who gives a shit about HBO??? How about as a promoter helping your guy build a fanbase before this point?????

Without the main boxing network to broadcast your fighter it's tough to build a fanbase.
Back to top Go down
Diego408
Green Belt
Green Belt
Diego408

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Marquez Brothers, Robert Guerrero, Abner Mares, Andre Ward, Sergio Martinez, Devon Alexander, Jose Benavidez Jr and Nick Diaz

PostSubject: Re: Lou DiBella "Boxing is in decline"   Lou DiBella "Boxing is in decline" - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 09, 2010 10:41 pm

SlickMoneyXL wrote:
Ali_1748 wrote:
SlickMoneyXL wrote:
RUM CAPITAL wrote:
i watch broadway boxing every friday and they have a section where they speak to him and he comes up with ideas on how to save the sport and he always brings up having better undercards. i like lou but in reality the super six has helped start all these little tournaments which will give us great fights.

He calls for better undercards but has yet to do it. He has 3 fighters that are "HBO caliber". He should be stacking cards with Berto, Martinez, and Caballero.

It's not that simple though, putting all three on the same card costs a fortune. Neither HBO or Showtime have the budget to pay for a card like that unless it's put on pay per view.

HBO overpaying fighters is the problem. Pay the fighters their REAL worth. Berto 400k. Caballero 200K. Martinez around 700k.
Those prices are reasonable. Berto 1.5 Mil for Quintana???? really, fuck good way of blowing the boxing budget. We could of go like 3 quality fights with that with lesser known fighters, but fighters just as good or better.
Back to top Go down
Diego408
Green Belt
Green Belt
Diego408

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Marquez Brothers, Robert Guerrero, Abner Mares, Andre Ward, Sergio Martinez, Devon Alexander, Jose Benavidez Jr and Nick Diaz

PostSubject: Re: Lou DiBella "Boxing is in decline"   Lou DiBella "Boxing is in decline" - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 09, 2010 10:43 pm

RUM CAPITAL wrote:
Diego408 wrote:
Its the promoters who are at fault. We can blame all the ABC organizations but theyve been around for a while and they never affected much. Promoters arent promoting which is boxing biggest problems. I dont give a fuck what all of you guys say about Arum, but that man is a genius. I always find myself being the lone Arum fan, hes helped the sport so much. He made DLH, Flomo, Pacquiao, Cotto and Margarito. Those are guys who can draw as of now. 4 of those 5 guys mentioned have craked a million PPV buys in a fight. All these promoters like Shaw, Goossen, DiBella are guys who just collect HBO money from their fighters.They aint breaking a sweat trying to sell a ticket because they are already profiting. The only time it cost promoters is for PPV.
yeah but arums undercard have absolutely stunk. i mean that pac-clottey undercard was the worst thing i've ever een. nevermind when he has chavez jr lololol
undercards dont matter, its all about the guys in the main event or sometimes co-main event. No one is going to buy the Pacquaio-Margarito bout because Pavliks on it.
Back to top Go down
RUM CAPITAL
Blue Belt
Blue Belt
RUM CAPITAL

PostSubject: Re: Lou DiBella "Boxing is in decline"   Lou DiBella "Boxing is in decline" - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 09, 2010 10:43 pm

Ali_1748 wrote:
captainanddew wrote:
Who gives a shit about HBO??? How about as a promoter helping your guy build a fanbase before this point?????

Without the main boxing network to broadcast your fighter it's tough to build a fanbase.
i find it funny that out of all countries it is the USA that has this problem with all the media outlets they posses. i mean you go to mexico, puerto rico, phillipines, europe and they don't have a problem building a fanbase. it's mind puzzling
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lou DiBella "Boxing is in decline"   Lou DiBella "Boxing is in decline" - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 09, 2010 10:44 pm

Diego408 wrote:
RUM CAPITAL wrote:
Diego408 wrote:
Its the promoters who are at fault. We can blame all the ABC organizations but theyve been around for a while and they never affected much. Promoters arent promoting which is boxing biggest problems. I dont give a fuck what all of you guys say about Arum, but that man is a genius. I always find myself being the lone Arum fan, hes helped the sport so much. He made DLH, Flomo, Pacquiao, Cotto and Margarito. Those are guys who can draw as of now. 4 of those 5 guys mentioned have craked a million PPV buys in a fight. All these promoters like Shaw, Goossen, DiBella are guys who just collect HBO money from their fighters.They aint breaking a sweat trying to sell a ticket because they are already profiting. The only time it cost promoters is for PPV.
yeah but arums undercard have absolutely stunk. i mean that pac-clottey undercard was the worst thing i've ever een. nevermind when he has chavez jr lololol
undercards dont matter, its all about the guys in the main event or sometimes co-main event. No one is going to buy the Pacquaio-Margarito bout because Pavliks on it.

People in Ohio might.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lou DiBella "Boxing is in decline"   Lou DiBella "Boxing is in decline" - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 09, 2010 10:46 pm

RUM CAPITAL wrote:
Ali_1748 wrote:
captainanddew wrote:

i find it funny that out of all countries it is the USA that has this problem with all the media outlets they posses. i mean you go to mexico, puerto rico, phillipines, europe and they don't have a problem building a fanbase. it's mind puzzling

Over here they work hard to promote fights, since Haye vs Harrison has been announced both men have been on every major news broadcast promoting the fight, hell it was even discussed on the biggest breakfast radio show the other day.

And during previous fights both Khan and Haye have been chat shows and comedy panel shows just to promote fights.

Last edited by Ali_1748 on Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
RUM CAPITAL
Blue Belt
Blue Belt
RUM CAPITAL

PostSubject: Re: Lou DiBella "Boxing is in decline"   Lou DiBella "Boxing is in decline" - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 09, 2010 10:46 pm

Diego408 wrote:
RUM CAPITAL wrote:
Diego408 wrote:
i disagree. i've ordered ppv events because of guys that were fighting earlier and not even on the undercard. i go the fights and sit there during the first bout because i want to see the new prospects not just for the main event.
Back to top Go down
RUM CAPITAL
Blue Belt
Blue Belt
RUM CAPITAL

PostSubject: Re: Lou DiBella "Boxing is in decline"   Lou DiBella "Boxing is in decline" - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 09, 2010 10:48 pm

Ali_1748 wrote:
RUM CAPITAL wrote:
Ali_1748 wrote:
captainanddew wrote:

Over here they work hard to promote fights, since Haye vs Harrison has been announced both men have been on every major news broadcast promoting the fight, hell it was even discussed on the biggest breakfast radio show the other day.

And during previous fights both Khan and Haye have been chat shows and comedy panel shows just to promote fights.
idk about other countries but in puerto rico they have a boxing page or two always and when there's BIG fight they have a full section (thank you fucking ricky burns). when we win a big fight believe it or not it makes the FRONT cover.
Back to top Go down
captainanddew
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ricky Burns

PostSubject: Re: Lou DiBella "Boxing is in decline"   Lou DiBella "Boxing is in decline" - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 09, 2010 10:48 pm

Putting Pavlik on the undercard, good idea? YES
Putting Pavlik against Edouard? who lost his last fight to a journeyman who had 7 losses on his record (July of this year). HORRENDOUS IDEA!!!

No, you don't have to put him in with a top 3 guy, but how a bout a guy in the top 15 or so. Someone who can provide a test (to some degree).
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lou DiBella "Boxing is in decline"   Lou DiBella "Boxing is in decline" - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 09, 2010 10:51 pm

RUM CAPITAL wrote:
Ali_1748 wrote:
RUM CAPITAL wrote:
Ali_1748 wrote:
captainanddew wrote:

idk about other countries but in puerto rico they have a boxing page or two always and when there's BIG fight they have a full section (thank you fucking ricky burns). when we win a big fight believe it or not it makes the FRONT cover.

Ricky Hatton was always making the front and back pages of the papers, I think Haye's win over Valuev made the covers too.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lou DiBella "Boxing is in decline"   Lou DiBella "Boxing is in decline" - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 09, 2010 10:51 pm

captainanddew wrote:
Putting Pavlik against Edouard? who lost his last fight to a journeyman who had 7 losses on his record (July of this year). HORRENDOUS IDEA!!!

No, you don't have to put him in with a top 3 guy, but how a bout a guy in the top 15 or so. Someone who can provide a test (to some degree).

Put Kelly Pavlik vs Librado Andrade on that undercard and you'll generate an extra 100,000 buys.
Back to top Go down
RUM CAPITAL
Blue Belt
Blue Belt
RUM CAPITAL

captainanddew wrote:

idk mind pavlik fighting a bum if he goes on to ko him. but if pavlik struggles then we have a problem. pavlik needs a confidence building fight and then if he looks impressive he could on to fight any of the guys from the super six or bute. see that's the purpose of an undercard to build up the drama for the fighters next fight. i will be rooting hard for the ghost to murder this dude.
Back to top Go down
Diego408
Green Belt
Green Belt
Diego408

PostSubject: Re: Lou DiBella "Boxing is in decline"   Lou DiBella "Boxing is in decline" - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 09, 2010 10:54 pm

RUM CAPITAL wrote:
Diego408 wrote:
RUM CAPITAL wrote:
Diego408 wrote:
i disagree. i've ordered ppv events because of guys that were fighting earlier and not even on the undercard. i go the fights and sit there during the first bout because i want to see the new prospects not just for the main event.
Thats just the boxing freaks in us, the majority of fans dont know the prospects or young contenders coming up. Im speaking on the majority of people, they watch because of the big name. Good matched up dont hurt on the undercard though. just go back to ESPN and half the guys there only know Pacquaio and Flomo.
Back to top Go down
gomez1012
Black Belt
Black Belt
gomez1012

PostSubject: Re: Lou DiBella "Boxing is in decline"   Lou DiBella "Boxing is in decline" - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 10, 2010 11:48 am

captainanddew wrote:
The biggest problem I have with promoters saying negative things about boxing, is most of them are a big part of the problem.

Exactly

Lou cried when GBP made that deal with the new Brooklyn arena, not like he's doing anything to improve things

Like you guys pointed out, he's benefited from the shitty state of the game with fighters like Paulie, Berto, Jermain Taylor, Cintron

I cant even sit through one show of Broadway Boxing! That Nicaraguan card was WAAAY more entertaining than any of Broadway Boxing shows Ive ever checked out
Back to top Go down
gomez1012
Black Belt
Black Belt
gomez1012

PostSubject: Re: Lou DiBella "Boxing is in decline"   Lou DiBella "Boxing is in decline" - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 10, 2010 11:54 am

Ali_1748 wrote:

False

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lou DiBella "Boxing is in decline"   Lou DiBella "Boxing is in decline" - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Lou DiBella "Boxing is in decline"
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2