Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Is there one simple answer to fix boxing?

Go down 
+8
Canvas
WinstonSmith
marbleheadmaui
gomez1012
Birdofthad
Hillsicc303
dmar5143
OU
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage

Is there one simple answer to fix boxing? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is there one simple answer to fix boxing?   Is there one simple answer to fix boxing? - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 05, 2010 5:36 pm

bobbitt15 wrote:
soonermark890 wrote:
bobbitt15 wrote:
Lol, guys MMA has taken over Boxing as the top combat sport and the gap is just going to grow wider. Facts are facts. Youth in this country don't give a shit about boxing anymore and rightfully so honestly
Really? Because I see soooo many kids in the schools practicing MMA Right? And I am in a big MMA state. I know plenty of kids who watch both sports. Hell one of them started to post on this site.

The "dispute" between boxing and MMA is not even close among kids like under the age of 25. Literally not even close at all
Really did you take a poll?
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: Is there one simple answer to fix boxing?   Is there one simple answer to fix boxing? - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 05, 2010 5:37 pm

soonermark890 wrote:
bobbitt15 wrote:
soonermark890 wrote:
bobbitt15 wrote:
Lol, guys MMA has taken over Boxing as the top combat sport and the gap is just going to grow wider. Facts are facts. Youth in this country don't give a shit about boxing anymore and rightfully so honestly
Really? Because I see soooo many kids in the schools practicing MMA Right? And I am in a big MMA state. I know plenty of kids who watch both sports. Hell one of them started to post on this site.

The "dispute" between boxing and MMA is not even close among kids like under the age of 25. Literally not even close at all

All it requires is a pair of eyes and ears. Its not that difficult
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Is there one simple answer to fix boxing?   Is there one simple answer to fix boxing? - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 05, 2010 5:38 pm

bobbitt15 wrote:
soonermark890 wrote:
bobbitt15 wrote:
soonermark890 wrote:
bobbitt15 wrote:

Yeah like someone who is around kids all day would have right?
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: Is there one simple answer to fix boxing?   Is there one simple answer to fix boxing? - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 05, 2010 5:39 pm

soonermark890 wrote:
bobbitt15 wrote:
soonermark890 wrote:
Wolfgangsta wrote:
Quote :
Ok let me explain this. These are issues that both boxing and mma have.

1. Promoters
2. Different bodies that rank and give out belts
3. Not able to get the best to fight the best

Now you MMA guys can argue all you want but right now you have multiple organizations that all have their own champions.

We both know those issues are not the same and are of different gravity in each sport. You're reaching. You want to believe boxing is as healthy as MMA, but that just aint the case.

MMA depending on who you ask has between 1-3 relevant promoters in America. How many does boxing have? The lineal champions and recognized champions of all division but one reside in the UFC. There are different promoters and belts, but by in large the UFC is what really matters to the sport at large. The UFC is able to turn a profit event after event, and for the most part gives us the best matches. The other two promotions are Bellator and Strikeforce, and they're both awesome products that are doing relatively well for themselves also. It's not a difficult sport to follow. All three promotions have regular TV deals and promote more than just their champions. It's easy to know how to watch and who you're watching.

Boxing is just a giant gagglefuck soup of belts and ranking bodies and fighters who won't fight. They have no system of building fighters to the public and no regular way of showcasing fighters. I know that boxing is on ESPN on Fridays sometimes, and I know they advertise boxing on Showtime MMA shows, but I don't know who promotes what, who will be fighting, what promoter, nothing.

Further, MMA is a more exciting product right now. Most boxers are dance and dodgers who avoid really fighting. On the pantheon of sports excitement on average, K-1 Max ranks about ten times higher than boxing on average does. Sad but true.

Short of a complete reinvention of boxing's business model and culture it will continue to slide further down the niche.
You can try to justify it what ever way you want Wolf. But the simple fact is you guys have the same problems right now. OH and all you guys dumb ass statements about how MMA has taken over doesnt seem to be showing up in the numbers. I mean $. How much does the highest paid MMA guy make? MMA has a long way to go to reach the status of Boxing.

The disgusting amount of money being paid to boxers that no one gives a shit about watching is one of the biggest problems with the sport. So congrats on that
Dude they can pay those fighters those big paydays because of how much money the sport brings in. UFC not so much.

Yeah and then you can get 2 of those fighters together arguing about which one of them has accomplished less and therefore deserves the most money and you've got a dandy of a fight that will never happen on your hands
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Is there one simple answer to fix boxing?   Is there one simple answer to fix boxing? - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 05, 2010 5:41 pm

bobbitt15 wrote:
soonermark890 wrote:
bobbitt15 wrote:
soonermark890 wrote:
Wolfgangsta wrote:
Quote :

1. Promoters

Now you MMA guys can argue all you want but right now you have multiple organizations that all have their own champions.

We both know those issues are not the same and are of different gravity in each sport. You're reaching. You want to believe boxing is as healthy as MMA, but that just aint the case.

MMA depending on who you ask has between 1-3 relevant promoters in America. How many does boxing have? The lineal champions and recognized champions of all division but one reside in the UFC. There are different promoters and belts, but by in large the UFC is what really matters to the sport at large. The UFC is able to turn a profit event after event, and for the most part gives us the best matches. The other two promotions are Bellator and Strikeforce, and they're both awesome products that are doing relatively well for themselves also. It's not a difficult sport to follow. All three promotions have regular TV deals and promote more than just their champions. It's easy to know how to watch and who you're watching.

Boxing is just a giant gagglefuck soup of belts and ranking bodies and fighters who won't fight. They have no system of building fighters to the public and no regular way of showcasing fighters. I know that boxing is on ESPN on Fridays sometimes, and I know they advertise boxing on Showtime MMA shows, but I don't know who promotes what, who will be fighting, what promoter, nothing.

Further, MMA is a more exciting product right now. Most boxers are dance and dodgers who avoid really fighting. On the pantheon of sports excitement on average, K-1 Max ranks about ten times higher than boxing on average does. Sad but true.

Short of a complete reinvention of boxing's business model and culture it will continue to slide further down the niche.
You can try to justify it what ever way you want Wolf. But the simple fact is you guys have the same problems right now. OH and all you guys dumb ass statements about how MMA has taken over doesnt seem to be showing up in the numbers. I mean $. How much does the highest paid MMA guy make? MMA has a long way to go to reach the status of Boxing.

The disgusting amount of money being paid to boxers that no one gives a shit about watching is one of the biggest problems with the sport. So congrats on that
Dude they can pay those fighters those big paydays because of how much money the sport brings in. UFC not so much.

Yeah and then you can get 2 of those fighters together arguing about which one of them has accomplished less and therefore deserves the most money and you've got a dandy of a fight that will never happen on your hands
Yet we still end up with at least one mega fight a year.
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

PostSubject: Re: Is there one simple answer to fix boxing?   Is there one simple answer to fix boxing? - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 05, 2010 5:42 pm

soonermark890 wrote:
bobbitt15 wrote:
soonermark890 wrote:
bobbitt15 wrote:
soonermark890 wrote:
bobbitt15 wrote:

Yeah I'm sure there's talk of boxing filling the school halls every day. Are the kids pumped about the Bradley-Alexander fight or do those names mean absolutely nothing to them lol
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

PostSubject: Re: Is there one simple answer to fix boxing?   Is there one simple answer to fix boxing? - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 05, 2010 5:44 pm

soonermark890 wrote:
bobbitt15 wrote:
soonermark890 wrote:
bobbitt15 wrote:
soonermark890 wrote:
Wolfgangsta wrote:
Quote :

1. Promoters

And pretty soon Manny will call it a career and that number will go down to 0. Can you honestly name one guy in boxing right now that will be selling over a million PPVs after Mayweather and Pac leave the sport? I see literally none
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Is there one simple answer to fix boxing?   Is there one simple answer to fix boxing? - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 05, 2010 5:48 pm

bobbitt15 wrote:
soonermark890 wrote:
bobbitt15 wrote:
soonermark890 wrote:
bobbitt15 wrote:
soonermark890 wrote:
bobbitt15 wrote:

Yeah I'm sure there's talk of boxing filling the school halls every day. Are the kids pumped about the Bradley-Alexander fight or do those names mean absolutely nothing to them lol
I will tell you what they talk about. Music, Football, Basketball, MTV and Facebook. When you get the few who even know anything about combat sports they only know the big names. They know Lesner, they know Silva, Manny Pac, those two big russian HW's, Floyd Mayweather is the biggest name they know in either sport which makes me sick. Everyone else they dont have a clue. I know you will find that hard to believe. Oh and all the black kids know about 10 boxers or so and they couldnt give a shit about MMA. But in reality none of them talk about either of these sports with their friends.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Is there one simple answer to fix boxing?   Is there one simple answer to fix boxing? - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 05, 2010 5:51 pm

bobbitt15 wrote:
soonermark890 wrote:
bobbitt15 wrote:
soonermark890 wrote:
bobbitt15 wrote:
soonermark890 wrote:
Wolfgangsta wrote:
Quote :

1. Promoters

And pretty soon Manny will call it a career and that number will go down to 0. Can you honestly name one guy in boxing right now that will be selling over a million PPVs after Mayweather and Pac leave the sport? I see literally none
I heard MMA guys saying the exact same stupid shit when Oscar was looking at retirement. Oh and last time I checked Floyd sells. I dont buy his fights but he sells over a million evertime he fights. How many guys in the UFC bring in the $ like Floyd by themselves?
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

PostSubject: Re: Is there one simple answer to fix boxing?   Is there one simple answer to fix boxing? - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 05, 2010 6:14 pm

Quote :

But they don't have the same problems. Not at all. MMA is growing in the public spotlight, boxing is shrinking. End of story.
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: Is there one simple answer to fix boxing?   Is there one simple answer to fix boxing? - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 05, 2010 6:17 pm

if i had a nickel for everytime wolf thought he ended a thread
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Is there one simple answer to fix boxing?   Is there one simple answer to fix boxing? - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 05, 2010 6:31 pm

I made no claims on the future of this thread. I fully expect soonermark to continue on his quest. His intentions are pure, he loves boxing. It has just shut down parts of his brain.
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

PostSubject: Re: Is there one simple answer to fix boxing?   Is there one simple answer to fix boxing? - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 05, 2010 6:42 pm

I just don't really see how its debatable. I've been a boxing fan since I was 8 and just started religiously following MMA for like the last year and a half and its just quite apparent they are 2 sports moving in opposite directions at a rapid pace
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Is there one simple answer to fix boxing?   Is there one simple answer to fix boxing? - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 05, 2010 7:10 pm

Wolfgangsta wrote:
Quote :

But they don't have the same problems. Not at all. MMA is growing in the public spotlight, boxing is shrinking. End of story.
I think you are right to a point Wolf. But what the original point was that soon people will be saying how can we fix MMA? MMA is a growing sport not an established one. So your correct that right now it will not hurt MMA but IF MMA becomes an established sport (and I really hope it does) those issues that is hurting boxing will hurt MMA. There is no way they dont.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Is there one simple answer to fix boxing?   Is there one simple answer to fix boxing? - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 05, 2010 7:13 pm

Wolfgangsta wrote:
I made no claims on the future of this thread. I fully expect soonermark to continue on his quest. His intentions are pure, he loves boxing. It has just shut down parts of his brain.
LOL not true. I also love MMA. I dont understand it at times but its fun to watch. Also I do think that MMA enhances boxing. A lot of my buddies who are MMA guys love watching a good boxing match with me and vice versa.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Is there one simple answer to fix boxing?   Is there one simple answer to fix boxing? - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 05, 2010 7:14 pm

bobbitt15 wrote:
I just don't really see how its debatable. I've been a boxing fan since I was 8 and just started religiously following MMA for like the last year and a half and its just quite apparent they are 2 sports moving in opposite directions at a rapid pace
Tell that to the massive amount of boxing fans who buy all the PPV's.
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

Favorite Fighter(s) : Arguello, Finito, Duran, Saad Muhammad

PostSubject: Re: Is there one simple answer to fix boxing?   Is there one simple answer to fix boxing? - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 05, 2010 7:26 pm

soonermark890 wrote:
bobbitt15 wrote:

Why are you engaging in this debate? The model boxing should be trying to learn from shouldn't be a penny ante one like MMA. It ought to be learning from, or trying to, the most successful sports models. The NFL/NBA/Formula I/Premier League etc.

Of course I also couldn't give a rat's ass about "popularity." If I did I'd think Twighlight and Avatar were great films and John Grisham a great author.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Is there one simple answer to fix boxing?   Is there one simple answer to fix boxing? - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 05, 2010 7:30 pm

marbleheadmaui wrote:
soonermark890 wrote:
bobbitt15 wrote:

Why are you engaging in this debate? The model boxing should be trying to learn from shouldn't be a penny ante one like MMA. It ought to be learning from, or trying to, the most successful sports models. The NFL/NBA/Formula I/Premier League etc.

Of course I also couldn't give a rat's ass about "popularity." If I did I'd think Twighlight and Avatar were great films and John Grisham a great author.
LOL to be honest I am really bored. My wife and kid are sick and I am staying away from them by working out by myself because my cousin hurt his back. So how have you been Marble? How was your weekend in paradise?
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Is there one simple answer to fix boxing?   Is there one simple answer to fix boxing? - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 05, 2010 7:30 pm

Sport's franchises are a completely different animal than combative sports, and MMA is much closer to their model than boxing is.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Is there one simple answer to fix boxing?   Is there one simple answer to fix boxing? - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 05, 2010 7:31 pm

Wolfgangsta wrote:
Sport's franchises are a completely different animal than combative sports, and MMA is much closer to their model than boxing is.
It doesnt have to be and also no to your last part.
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

Favorite Fighter(s) : Arguello, Finito, Duran, Saad Muhammad

PostSubject: Re: Is there one simple answer to fix boxing?   Is there one simple answer to fix boxing? - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 05, 2010 7:33 pm

soonermark890 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:
soonermark890 wrote:
bobbitt15 wrote:

LOL to be honest I am really bored. My wife and kid are sick and I am staying away from them by working out by myself because my cousin hurt his back. So how have you been Marble? How was your weekend in paradise?

Boredome is a good excuse! But spend your time in a useful endeavor! Watch THIS!