Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Is there one simple answer to fix boxing?

Go down 
+8
Canvas
WinstonSmith
marbleheadmaui
gomez1012
Birdofthad
Hillsicc303
dmar5143
OU
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
WinstonSmith
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
WinstonSmith

Favorite Fighter(s) : Marvin Hagler,Ben Henderson,Rich Franklin,Clay Guida

Is there one simple answer to fix boxing? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is there one simple answer to fix boxing?   Is there one simple answer to fix boxing? - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 02, 2010 2:56 pm

A wise scribe once said."as the HW division goes,so goes boxing.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Is there one simple answer to fix boxing?   Is there one simple answer to fix boxing? - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 02, 2010 3:04 pm

WinstonSmith wrote:
A wise scribe once said."as the HW division goes,so goes boxing.

Well start searching for American relatives in The Saviors family tree afro
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Is there one simple answer to fix boxing?   Is there one simple answer to fix boxing? - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 02, 2010 9:00 pm

There is no simple answer to fix boxing. However, there are many simple answers that can improve or even fix the sport. The real issue is that no one is trying any.

If I could choose one it would be fixing the organization of the sport. Having a single large overseeing body whose goal is to run the sport similar to the NFL, MLB, PGA, NBA, NHL, Nascar, etc. I have no idea how that could be accomplished.

My choices for things that are relatively easy to implement are same day weigh ins or fewer divisions.

Last edited by Gumby on Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Canvas
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Is there one simple answer to fix boxing?   Is there one simple answer to fix boxing? - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 02, 2010 10:41 pm

appoint me Supreme Ruler of the sport with complete autonomy....
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

PostSubject: Re: Is there one simple answer to fix boxing?   Is there one simple answer to fix boxing? - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 03, 2010 2:21 am

Nothing is going to fix boxing short of a complete and utter collapse of the sport and a reboot of the business model. People will be having these discussions in five and ten years.

If boxing could somehow steal the business model of the UFC/MMA where one promotion matters, where a PPV product is created that contains numerous good fights with known and popular fighters, and the best routinely fight the best.
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif

PostSubject: Re: Is there one simple answer to fix boxing?   Is there one simple answer to fix boxing? - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 03, 2010 8:34 am

Wolfgangsta wrote:
Nothing is going to fix boxing short of a complete and utter collapse of the sport and a reboot of the business model. People will be having these discussions in five and ten years.

If boxing could somehow steal the business model of the UFC/MMA where one promotion matters, where a PPV product is created that contains numerous good fights with known and popular fighters, and the best routinely fight the best.
There is going to be a question asked in the near future. What can fix MMA? Wolf right now MMA has a bunch of the same problems that boxing does. Those problems will catch up to MMA.
Back to top Go down
captainanddew
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ricky Burns

PostSubject: Re: Is there one simple answer to fix boxing?   Is there one simple answer to fix boxing? - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 03, 2010 11:58 am

to answer the original question: There isn't one simple answer to fix boxing. The answer is complicated and many of the solutions suggested on this board (or elsewhere) are not likely to occur.

The plain truth is we love a sport that doesn't love us back.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Is there one simple answer to fix boxing?   Is there one simple answer to fix boxing? - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 03, 2010 11:10 pm

soonermark890 wrote:
Wolfgangsta wrote:

There is going to be a question asked in the near future. What can fix MMA? Wolf right now MMA has a bunch of the same problems that boxing does. Those problems will catch up to MMA.

MMA has none of the problems that really fuck boxing. Don't get defensive and target MMA. Really now.
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: Is there one simple answer to fix boxing?   Is there one simple answer to fix boxing? - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 03, 2010 11:37 pm

soonermark890 wrote:
Wolfgangsta wrote:

Lol please expound on what some of those problems are
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Is there one simple answer to fix boxing?   Is there one simple answer to fix boxing? - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 04, 2010 3:46 pm

1. Expound is a great word.

2. I don't think he has that ability.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Is there one simple answer to fix boxing?   Is there one simple answer to fix boxing? - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 05, 2010 3:17 am

Wolfgangsta wrote:
soonermark890 wrote:
Wolfgangsta wrote:

MMA has none of the problems that really fuck boxing. Don't get defensive and target MMA. Really now.
Ok let me explain this. These are issues that both boxing and mma have.

1. Promoters
2. Different bodies that rank and give out belts
3. Not able to get the best to fight the best

Now you MMA guys can argue all you want but right now you have multiple organizations that all have their own champions.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Is there one simple answer to fix boxing?   Is there one simple answer to fix boxing? - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 05, 2010 1:38 pm

Quote :

1. Promoters

Now you MMA guys can argue all you want but right now you have multiple organizations that all have their own champions.

We both know those issues are not the same and are of different gravity in each sport. You're reaching. You want to believe boxing is as healthy as MMA, but that just aint the case.

MMA depending on who you ask has between 1-3 relevant promoters in America. How many does boxing have? The lineal champions and recognized champions of all division but one reside in the UFC. There are different promoters and belts, but by in large the UFC is what really matters to the sport at large. The UFC is able to turn a profit event after event, and for the most part gives us the best matches. The other two promotions are Bellator and Strikeforce, and they're both awesome products that are doing relatively well for themselves also. It's not a difficult sport to follow. All three promotions have regular TV deals and promote more than just their champions. It's easy to know how to watch and who you're watching.

Boxing is just a giant gagglefuck soup of belts and ranking bodies and fighters who won't fight. They have no system of building fighters to the public and no regular way of showcasing fighters. I know that boxing is on ESPN on Fridays sometimes, and I know they advertise boxing on Showtime MMA shows, but I don't know who promotes what, who will be fighting, what promoter, nothing.

Further, MMA is a more exciting product right now. Most boxers are dance and dodgers who avoid really fighting. On the pantheon of sports excitement on average, K-1 Max ranks about ten times higher than boxing on average does. Sad but true.

Short of a complete reinvention of boxing's business model and culture it will continue to slide further down the niche.
Back to top Go down
WinstonSmith
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
WinstonSmith

Favorite Fighter(s) : Marvin Hagler,Ben Henderson,Rich Franklin,Clay Guida

PostSubject: Re: Is there one simple answer to fix boxing?   Is there one simple answer to fix boxing? - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 05, 2010 2:41 pm

I think MMA could suffer from over-exposure.I'm already getting sick of the over hype of the NFL.With the current generation having little or no interest in boxing,the sweet science could be dead in this Country in the next twenty years.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Is there one simple answer to fix boxing?   Is there one simple answer to fix boxing? - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 05, 2010 4:22 pm

I hope I don't come off as a boxing hater. Many of my favorite MMA fighters are boxing stylists. The boxing vs MMA thing the way it was phrased with James Toney was a half-truth. Boxing already has crossed over into MMA in a big way. Most everyone out of the UK is boxing-based. Then you have stars like Rampage, KJ Noons, the now shot Marcus Davis and the Diaz brothers who are boxing oriented strikers.

Last edited by Wolfgangsta on Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

Favorite Fighter(s) : Arguello, Finito, Duran, Saad Muhammad

PostSubject: Re: Is there one simple answer to fix boxing?   Is there one simple answer to fix boxing? - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 05, 2010 4:33 pm

WinstonSmith wrote:
I think MMA could suffer from over-exposure.I'm already getting sick of the over hype of the NFL.With the current generation having little or no interest in boxing,the sweet science could be dead in this Country in the next twenty years.

See I don't want boxing as healthy as MMA. I want it as healthy as the NFL!

But when I see young self professed boxing junkies defending David Haye and Floyd Mayweather's inactivity and video excuses it leads me to believe you are likely closer to what will happen. They are going to get the sport they deserve.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Is there one simple answer to fix boxing?   Is there one simple answer to fix boxing? - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 05, 2010 4:40 pm

if boxing were as healthy as the UFC you'd be happy as a fuckin clam.
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

Favorite Fighter(s) : Arguello, Finito, Duran, Saad Muhammad

PostSubject: Re: Is there one simple answer to fix boxing?   Is there one simple answer to fix boxing? - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 05, 2010 4:46 pm

Wolfgangsta wrote:
if boxing were as healthy as the UFC you'd be happy as a fuckin clam.

Nope. Your mindreading skills blow.
Back to top Go down
Groundhog_Day
Orange Belt
Orange Belt
Groundhog_Day

Favorite Fighter(s) : Manny Pacquiao

PostSubject: Re: Is there one simple answer to fix boxing?   Is there one simple answer to fix boxing? - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 05, 2010 4:58 pm

I have a few ideas:

1. Make promotional companies like Golden Boy and Top Rank their own "sport." So fighters from different companies would never fight each other. I mean the promoters like in-house fights these days, why not take it a step further.

2. We absolutely NEED a professional wrestler in our ranks. Batista, I think, would be a good choice. He can be the new HW champ.

3. Everlast needs to make a resurgence as a tough-guy brand. I wanna be able to go to parties wearing my one size too small shirt and be all tough because I know about boxing (or least, can pretend to know).

4. We need to bring some past their prime, old, fat, has-been MMA fighters into the ring.
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: Is there one simple answer to fix boxing?   Is there one simple answer to fix boxing? - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 05, 2010 5:00 pm

Lol, guys MMA has taken over Boxing as the top combat sport and the gap is just going to grow wider. Facts are facts. Youth in this country don't give a shit about boxing anymore and rightfully so honestly
Back to top Go down
Groundhog_Day
Orange Belt
Orange Belt
Groundhog_Day

Favorite Fighter(s) : Manny Pacquiao

PostSubject: Re: Is there one simple answer to fix boxing?   Is there one simple answer to fix boxing? - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 05, 2010 5:21 pm

bobbitt15 wrote:
Lol, guys MMA has taken over Boxing as the top combat sport and the gap is just going to grow wider. Facts are facts. Youth in this country don't give a shit about boxing anymore and rightfully so honestly

What about youth in other countries? Yesterday, we saw a massive crowd to see Sturm in Germany and an incredible crowd in Scotland to see Burns.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Is there one simple answer to fix boxing?   Is there one simple answer to fix boxing? - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 05, 2010 5:27 pm

Wolfgangsta wrote:
Quote :

1. Promoters

We both know those issues are not the same and are of different gravity in each sport. You're reaching. You want to believe boxing is as healthy as MMA, but that just aint the case.

MMA depending on who you ask has between 1-3 relevant promoters in America. How many does boxing have? The lineal champions and recognized champions of all division but one reside in the UFC. There are different promoters and belts, but by in large the UFC is what really matters to the sport at large. The UFC is able to turn a profit event after event, and for the most part gives us the best matches. The other two promotions are Bellator and Strikeforce, and they're both awesome products that are doing relatively well for themselves also. It's not a difficult sport to follow. All three promotions have regular TV deals and promote more than just their champions. It's easy to know how to watch and who you're watching.

Boxing is just a giant gagglefuck soup of belts and ranking bodies and fighters who won't fight. They have no system of building fighters to the public and no regular way of showcasing fighters. I know that boxing is on ESPN on Fridays sometimes, and I know they advertise boxing on Showtime MMA shows, but I don't know who promotes what, who will be fighting, what promoter, nothing.

Further, MMA is a more exciting product right now. Most boxers are dance and dodgers who avoid really fighting. On the pantheon of sports excitement on average, K-1 Max ranks about ten times higher than boxing on average does. Sad but true.

Short of a complete reinvention of boxing's business model and culture it will continue to slide further down the niche.
You can try to justify it what ever way you want Wolf. But the simple fact is you guys have the same problems right now. OH and all you guys dumb ass statements about how MMA has taken over doesnt seem to be showing up in the numbers. I mean $. How much does the highest paid MMA guy make? MMA has a long way to go to reach the status of Boxing.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Is there one simple answer to fix boxing?   Is there one simple answer to fix boxing? - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 05, 2010 5:29 pm

bobbitt15 wrote:
Really? Because I see soooo many kids in the schools practicing MMA Right? And I am in a big MMA state. I know plenty of kids who watch both sports. Hell one of them started to post on this site.
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

PostSubject: Re: Is there one simple answer to fix boxing?   Is there one simple answer to fix boxing? - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 05, 2010 5:32 pm

soonermark890 wrote:
Wolfgangsta wrote:
Quote :

1. Promoters

You can try to justify it what ever way you want Wolf. But the simple fact is you guys have the same problems right now. OH and all you guys dumb ass statements about how MMA has taken over doesnt seem to be showing up in the numbers. I mean $. How much does the highest paid MMA guy make? MMA has a long way to go to reach the status of Boxing.

The disgusting amount of money being paid to boxers that no one gives a shit about watching is one of the biggest problems with the sport. So congrats on that
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

PostSubject: Re: Is there one simple answer to fix boxing?   Is there one simple answer to fix boxing? - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 05, 2010 5:34 pm

soonermark890 wrote:
bobbitt15 wrote:
Really? Because I see soooo many kids in the schools practicing MMA Right? And I am in a big MMA state. I know plenty of kids who watch both sports. Hell one of them started to post on this site.

The "dispute" between boxing and MMA is not even close among kids like under the age of 25. Literally not even close at all
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Is there one simple answer to fix boxing?   Is there one simple answer to fix boxing? - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 05, 2010 5:35 pm

bobbitt15 wrote:
soonermark890 wrote:
Wolfgangsta wrote:
Quote :

1. Promoters

The disgusting amount of money being paid to boxers that no one gives a shit about watching is one of the biggest problems with the sport. So congrats on that
Dude they can pay those fighters those big paydays because of how much money the sport brings in. UFC not so much.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is there one simple answer to fix boxing?   Is there one simple answer to fix boxing? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Is there one simple answer to fix boxing?
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next