Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

James Toney Tribute

Go down 
+6
bobbitt15
acccardinal12
WinstonSmith
Tobe06
marbleheadmaui
victor879
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
victor879
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

James Toney Tribute Empty
PostSubject: James Toney Tribute   James Toney Tribute EmptySat Aug 28, 2010 9:33 pm

Figured since he was doing his MMA thing against The Natural tonight, let's take a look back at some of the better moments of James "Lights Out" Toney.

Imagine what he could have done if he actually dedicated himself to training? He was an absolute beast when he was first coming up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uqlz5oxknf0

Check out 1:40 for sure, lol
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

Favorite Fighter(s) : Arguello, Finito, Duran, Saad Muhammad

PostSubject: Re: James Toney Tribute   James Toney Tribute EmptySat Aug 28, 2010 9:37 pm

James at 160 was special. Damn, Michael Nunn just NEVER ducks, does he?

LOOK at the activity level!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: James Toney Tribute   James Toney Tribute EmptySat Aug 28, 2010 9:44 pm

Great video Victor.
Back to top Go down
Tobe06
Orange Belt
Orange Belt
Tobe06

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ali

PostSubject: Re: James Toney Tribute   James Toney Tribute EmptySat Aug 28, 2010 10:36 pm

Nice video! Tonight's fight may not mean much, but you gotta love James Toney, period.
Back to top Go down
victor879
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostSubject: Re: James Toney Tribute   James Toney Tribute EmptySun Aug 29, 2010 2:02 am

The only thing that would have made that fight even more interesting tonight is if Randy had to rematch Toney in a boxing match next.

Did anybody actually expect Randy to stand up and try to trade with James? Nope. Can't punch somebody at your shins/ankles. Randy knew coming in he wasn't going to throw a single punch standing up if he could help it.

James had zero chance unless Randy gave him one. hehe

But he was a great boxer in his time. Could have been greater in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
WinstonSmith
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
WinstonSmith

Favorite Fighter(s) : Marvin Hagler,Ben Henderson,Rich Franklin,Clay Guida

PostSubject: Re: James Toney Tribute   James Toney Tribute EmptySun Aug 29, 2010 2:04 am

victor879 wrote:
The only thing that would have made that fight even more interesting tonight is if Randy had to rematch Toney in a boxing match next.

Did anybody actually expect Randy to stand up and try to trade with James? Nope. Can't punch somebody at your shins/ankles.

He had zero chance unless Randy gave him one. hehe

But he was a great boxer in his time. Could have been greater in my opinion.

But Rogan had the balls to say Toney would PROBABLY beat Randy in a boxing ring.Move away from the crack pipe Joe,Toney would kill Randy under Marquis of Queensbury rules.
Back to top Go down
WinstonSmith
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
WinstonSmith

PostSubject: Re: James Toney Tribute   James Toney Tribute EmptySun Aug 29, 2010 2:10 am

Do you remember what happened when Shannon Briggs fought MMA fighter Tom Erickson?Briggs knocked him out with one shot.I give Erickson credit for having the balls to take on a boxer in the boxer's domain.
Back to top Go down
WinstonSmith
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
WinstonSmith

PostSubject: Re: James Toney Tribute   James Toney Tribute EmptySun Aug 29, 2010 2:15 am

The Briggs-Erickson fight was a K-1 sanctione fight,not boxing,even more impressive for Shannon.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: James Toney Tribute   James Toney Tribute EmptySun Aug 29, 2010 2:18 am

WinstonSmith wrote:
Do you remember what happened when Shannon Briggs fought MMA fighter Tom Erickson?Briggs knocked him out with one shot.I give Erickson credit for having the balls to take on a boxer in the boxer's domain.

I heard somewhere Briggs was training at ATT is that true ?
Back to top Go down
WinstonSmith
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
WinstonSmith

PostSubject: Re: James Toney Tribute   James Toney Tribute EmptySun Aug 29, 2010 2:20 am

Ali_1748 wrote:
WinstonSmith wrote:

I heard somewhere Briggs was training at ATT is that true ?

Haven't heard of that one,but he has the mentality to cross over to other venues.The only drawback is his stamina due to his asthma.
Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Cung Le, BJ Penn, Mayhem, Chael Sonnen, Anthony Pettis

PostSubject: Re: James Toney Tribute   James Toney Tribute EmptySun Aug 29, 2010 2:22 am

I bet Randy would do better in a boxing fight then james did tonight in MMA. Randy would get beat, but the guy can box. James Toney has no chance in MMA.
Back to top Go down
WinstonSmith
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
WinstonSmith

PostSubject: Re: James Toney Tribute   James Toney Tribute EmptySun Aug 29, 2010 2:24 am

bigbeastcardinal12 wrote:
I bet Randy would do better in a boxing fight then james did tonight in MMA. Randy would get beat, but the guy can box. James Toney has no chance in MMA.

Randy's chin is gone.Liddell knocked him out twice and Noguiera hurt him on numerous occasions.Couture wouldn't make it out of the first round against a top ranked boxer.
Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

PostSubject: Re: James Toney Tribute   James Toney Tribute EmptySun Aug 29, 2010 2:26 am

I wish a legit boxer would come into MMA. I am not saying Toney isn't legit, just over the hill. Of course boxing is like Karate or kickboxing. You have to be well versed in many areas to be legit. Only wrestlers can come out and compete in MMA because they can take you down and LnP for a win. We saw it tonight with Florian and Maynard. Maynard is just to good of a wrestler to get beat by a skilled BJJ and Muat Thai guy unless he gets hit on the chin.
Back to top Go down
WinstonSmith
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
WinstonSmith

PostSubject: Re: James Toney Tribute   James Toney Tribute EmptySun Aug 29, 2010 2:28 am

How about an accomplished MMA striker trying his luck in a boxing ring?
Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

PostSubject: Re: James Toney Tribute   James Toney Tribute EmptySun Aug 29, 2010 2:28 am

WinstonSmith wrote:

Randy's chin is gone.Liddell knocked him out twice and Noguiera hurt him on numerous occasions.Couture wouldn't make it out of the first round against a top ranked boxer.

We are talking Toney, not a top ranked boxer. Randy is almost 48 years old. Randy would have a better fight against Toney in a boxing match. Toney just looked stupid tonight. I could see Randy having a competitive fight with Toney for a few rounds, if not more.
Back to top Go down
WinstonSmith
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
WinstonSmith

PostSubject: Re: James Toney Tribute   James Toney Tribute EmptySun Aug 29, 2010 2:30 am

I wish a legit boxer would come into MMA. I am not saying Toney isn't legit, just over the hill. Of course boxing is like Karate or kickboxing. You have to be well versed in many areas to be legit. Only wrestlers can come out and compete in MMA because they can take you down and LnP for a win. We saw it tonight with Florian and Maynard. Maynard is just to good of a wrestler to get beat by a skilled BJJ and Muat Thai guy unless he gets hit on the chin.

LaVerne Clark and Marcus Hicks did an admirable job in MMA.
Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

PostSubject: Re: James Toney Tribute   James Toney Tribute EmptySun Aug 29, 2010 2:33 am

WinstonSmith wrote:
How about an accomplished MMA striker trying his luck in a boxing ring?

Anderson Silva would get beat in a boxing ring.

Either way in a FIGHT the MMA guy always wins. A Karate guy will always beat a Boxer in a karate tourney, like a BJJ guy will always beat a karate guy in their respective sport. RJJ can play basketball, but Jordan would beat him. It isn't really fair. Toney went into someone else's house and even the crowd shook him up.
Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

PostSubject: Re: James Toney Tribute   James Toney Tribute EmptySun Aug 29, 2010 2:35 am

WinstonSmith wrote:

Who? You boxing fans should be talking about guys like KJ Noons who went from boxing to MMA. KJ is the real deal. So was Marcus Davis and Chris Lytle. They are guys who learned other forms of martial arts and had success.
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: James Toney Tribute   James Toney Tribute EmptySun Aug 29, 2010 2:40 am

Those guys are all nobodies in the boxing world. No one cares about them
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: James Toney Tribute   James Toney Tribute EmptySun Aug 29, 2010 2:41 am

Randy would do absolutely no better and would get humiliated just as bad as Toney did tonight
Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

PostSubject: Re: James Toney Tribute   James Toney Tribute EmptySun Aug 29, 2010 2:47 am

bobbitt15 wrote:

Randy would do absolutely no better and would get humiliated just as bad as Toney did tonight

No way! Nobody could accomplish what Toney did tonight. I could fight Toney and do better in boxing then what he did tonight. Serious! That was embarrassing to watch as a human and I am a MMA fan first.
Back to top Go down
WinstonSmith
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
WinstonSmith

PostSubject: Re: James Toney Tribute   James Toney Tribute EmptySun Aug 29, 2010 2:51 am

WinstonSmith wrote:

Who? You boxing fans should be talking about guys like KJ Noons who went from boxing to MMA. KJ is the real deal. So was Marcus Davis and Chris Lytle. They are guys who learned other forms of martial arts and had success.

LaVerne knocked out a BJJ practicioner in under thirty seconds.That LaVerne Clark.
Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

PostSubject: Re: James Toney Tribute   James Toney Tribute EmptySun Aug 29, 2010 2:58 am

WinstonSmith wrote:
WinstonSmith wrote:

LaVerne knocked out a BJJ practicioner in under thirty seconds.That LaVerne Clark.

Well ugly guys fuck ugly chicks. No what I mean? I have never heard of Laverne and probably never heard of the BJJ guy. Just watch KJ. He is gonna be fighting for the WW title in November and he was a decent boxer.
Back to top Go down
WinstonSmith
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
WinstonSmith

PostSubject: Re: James Toney Tribute   James Toney Tribute EmptySun Aug 29, 2010 3:03 am

Noons amassed a record of 11-2 while feasting on tomato cans as a boxer.Clark and Hicks were both more successful in MMA than they ever were in boxing.That doesn't support your argument.
Back to top Go down
boxing2010

PostSubject: Re: James Toney Tribute   James Toney Tribute EmptySun Aug 29, 2010 11:29 am

Its Great video.. thanks
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: James Toney Tribute   James Toney Tribute Empty

Back to top Go down

James Toney Tribute
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next