Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

James Toney-need other opinions

Go down 
+6
Canvas
Birdofthad
KrazyHorseBennett
marbleheadmaui
4445Frank
captainanddew
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
captainanddew
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ricky Burns

James Toney-need other opinions Empty
PostSubject: James Toney-need other opinions   James Toney-need other opinions EmptySat Aug 14, 2010 11:26 am

My opinion is he is shot. 41 years old, tons of wear and tear on the body. Last real fight was later 2008, and Oquendo, yeah Fres Oquendo basically got robbed of a win vs Toney.

Legs gone? Check
Balance gone? Check
Overextends now when throwing right hand? Check
Out of breath after 90 seconds? Check

If he lands a shot that puts Coutore down then it says alot more about Randy than it does about Toney. Toney is basically shot.
Back to top Go down
4445Frank
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: James Toney-need other opinions   James Toney-need other opinions EmptySat Aug 14, 2010 11:48 am

I'm going to watch this fight out of curiousity. Tony has already spoken for me. He's an all time great who recreated himself more than once. His final act was an unbelievable performance against Samuel Peter in the HW division. This type of fighter is the reason the HOF was created in the first place. Tony was fast, smart, fearless and merciless. Nice guy too, just didn't want anyone to know. Bad for his reputation. If Tony wins, great. I'm a happy guy. If he loses? It won't have any effect on how I think of him. I'd just hope he doesn't get hurt. My opinion on the fight? Hell, Tony's a smart guy. So was Sugar Ray Leonard when he took on Terry Norris and Hector Camacho. Seems like emotion overcomes intelligence at the end of the careers of most great fighters.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: James Toney-need other opinions   James Toney-need other opinions EmptySat Aug 14, 2010 11:51 am

He also still has his power and handspeed.
Back to top Go down
captainanddew
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostSubject: Re: James Toney-need other opinions   James Toney-need other opinions EmptySat Aug 14, 2010 11:51 am

Hopefully win or lose Toney stops fighting of any sort after the bout.
Back to top Go down
captainanddew
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostSubject: Re: James Toney-need other opinions   James Toney-need other opinions EmptySat Aug 14, 2010 11:52 am

He has no balance man. Against Oquendo in 2008 he was off balance the entire night. It was painful to watch.
Back to top Go down
4445Frank
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: James Toney-need other opinions   James Toney-need other opinions EmptySat Aug 14, 2010 11:53 am

Question: Is this fight Tonight??? Shocked
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: James Toney-need other opinions   James Toney-need other opinions EmptySat Aug 14, 2010 11:55 am

captainanddew wrote:
He has no balance man. Against Oquendo in 2008 he was off balance the entire night. It was painful to watch.
I am just saying dont be shocked when he looks pretty damn good in there. I think Couture will win by taking him down but I do not think Toney is shot in the MMA world. Remember there is a HUGE difference between a HOF boxers ability to punch and a wrestlers. Remember that Anderson Silva (one of the best strikers in MMA) tried boxing and got his ass handed to him.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: James Toney-need other opinions   James Toney-need other opinions EmptySat Aug 14, 2010 11:55 am

4445Frank wrote:
No the 28th.
Back to top Go down
4445Frank
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: James Toney-need other opinions   James Toney-need other opinions EmptySat Aug 14, 2010 11:56 am

soonermark890 wrote:
4445Frank wrote:
No the 28th.
Damn!
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

Favorite Fighter(s) : Arguello, Finito, Duran, Saad Muhammad

PostSubject: Re: James Toney-need other opinions   James Toney-need other opinions EmptySat Aug 14, 2010 12:26 pm

Isn't Couture shot too?
Back to top Go down
captainanddew
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostSubject: Re: James Toney-need other opinions   James Toney-need other opinions EmptySat Aug 14, 2010 1:55 pm

James could knock him out. If James was 35 or 36 instead of 41 I'd give him a much better shot at that. I just think his legs and balance aren't the same. It shouldn't be that difficult to get him to the ground.
Back to top Go down
KrazyHorseBennett
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
KrazyHorseBennett

Favorite Fighter(s) : Charles Bennett is the second coming of Christ.

PostSubject: Re: James Toney-need other opinions   James Toney-need other opinions EmptySat Aug 14, 2010 1:56 pm

captainanddew wrote:
James could knock him out. If James was 35 or 36 instead of 41 I'd give him a much better shot at that. I just think his legs and balance aren't the same. It shouldn't be that difficult to get him to the ground.

So does the slight chance of a ko mean that James is on equal footing in a cage with Randy, as our blissfully ignorant little friend seems to think?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: James Toney-need other opinions   James Toney-need other opinions EmptySat Aug 14, 2010 1:57 pm

captainanddew wrote:
I agree. Couture will take him down and end it in the first round. If couture is dumb enough to stand up with Toney he gets KO'd quick.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: James Toney-need other opinions   James Toney-need other opinions EmptySat Aug 14, 2010 2:59 pm

marbleheadmaui wrote:
Isn't Couture shot too?

hes getting there but he is still able to hold tough opponents against the cage for 3 rounds i.e. what he did to Vera
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: James Toney-need other opinions   James Toney-need other opinions EmptySat Aug 14, 2010 4:37 pm

captainanddew wrote:
My opinion is he is shot. 41 years old, tons of wear and tear on the body. Last real fight was later 2008, and Oquendo, yeah Fres Oquendo basically got robbed of a win vs Toney.

Legs gone? Check
Balance gone? Check

If he lands a shot that puts Coutore down then it says alot more about Randy than it does about Toney. Toney is basically shot.

I think he's kind of where Glen Johnson is. He's not who he was, but he's still saavy enough and coordinated enough to compete. I just hope he can show enough to make a case for boxing skills in MMA. Even if he gets smashed though, I think he's gonna have a hilarious reaction.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: James Toney-need other opinions   James Toney-need other opinions EmptySat Aug 14, 2010 4:39 pm

Gumby wrote:
captainanddew wrote:

Legs gone? Check
Balance gone? Check

I think he's kind of where Glen Johnson is. He's not who he was, but he's still saavy enough and coordinated enough to compete. I just hope he can show enough to make a case for boxing skills in MMA. Even if he gets smashed though, I think he's gonna have a hilarious reaction.
LOL yes he will
Back to top Go down
Canvas
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: James Toney-need other opinions   James Toney-need other opinions EmptySat Aug 14, 2010 4:42 pm

I've been such a fan of James, I don't know if I can give an honest opinion of how much he has left.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: James Toney-need other opinions   James Toney-need other opinions EmptySat Aug 14, 2010 5:23 pm

marbleheadmaui wrote:
Isn't Couture shot too?

Surprisingly no, for a 46 year old fighter Couture is in great condition. His chin however his looking wore down, in his last couple fights he's been rocked more than once.
Back to top Go down
Hillsicc303
White Belt
White Belt

PostSubject: Re: James Toney-need other opinions   James Toney-need other opinions EmptySat Aug 14, 2010 5:28 pm

Randy should win this fight because it's in his element. But if somehow Toney beats him(which his chances are veryslim) this might push the detonate button on the UFC Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: James Toney-need other opinions   James Toney-need other opinions EmptySat Aug 14, 2010 5:31 pm

I am praying Toney does win, nothing against Captain America but I just want to see Dana's reaction and how he tries to down play at the post fight conference.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: James Toney-need other opinions   James Toney-need other opinions EmptySat Aug 14, 2010 5:39 pm

Ali_1748 wrote:
I am praying Toney does win, nothing against Captain America but I just want to see Dana's reaction and how he tries to down play at the post fight conference.
I think Joe Rogan's head would explode right then and there.
Back to top Go down
WinstonSmith
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
WinstonSmith

Favorite Fighter(s) : Marvin Hagler,Ben Henderson,Rich Franklin,Clay Guida

PostSubject: Re: James Toney-need other opinions   James Toney-need other opinions EmptySat Aug 14, 2010 5:43 pm

Maybe Toney can punch Rogan in the mouth during the post-fight interview.That would be worth fifty bucks alone.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: James Toney-need other opinions   James Toney-need other opinions EmptySat Aug 14, 2010 5:44 pm

WinstonSmith wrote:
Maybe Toney can punch Rogan in the mouth during the post-fight interview.That would be worth fifty bucks alone.
I would pay $200 just to see that.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: James Toney-need other opinions   James Toney-need other opinions EmptySat Aug 14, 2010 5:48 pm

" James Toney is for real "
Back to top Go down
WinstonSmith
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
WinstonSmith

Favorite Fighter(s) : Marvin Hagler,Ben Henderson,Rich Franklin,Clay Guida

PostSubject: Re: James Toney-need other opinions   James Toney-need other opinions EmptySat Aug 14, 2010 5:53 pm

soonermark890 wrote:
WinstonSmith wrote:
I would pay $200 just to see that.

Let's see how Rogan's jiu-jitsu blocks a Toney right hook
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: James Toney-need other opinions   James Toney-need other opinions Empty

Back to top Go down

James Toney-need other opinions
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next