Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Why was Muhammad Ali such a controversial figure?

Go down 
+9
KrazyHorseBennett
captainanddew
Canvas
Birdofthad
marbleheadmaui
Ring
4445Frank
WinstonSmith
Diego408
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Diego408
Green Belt
Green Belt
Diego408

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Marquez Brothers, Robert Guerrero, Abner Mares, Andre Ward, Sergio Martinez, Devon Alexander, Jose Benavidez Jr and Nick Diaz

Why was Muhammad Ali such a controversial figure? Empty
PostSubject: Why was Muhammad Ali such a controversial figure?   Why was Muhammad Ali such a controversial figure? EmptyTue Jul 20, 2010 2:54 am

Off the Ring and in it? Ali was way before my time and just heaaring the dude speak really grinds my gears. I understand many people loved him and some hated him. Why was he so loved?
Back to top Go down
WinstonSmith
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
WinstonSmith

Favorite Fighter(s) : Marvin Hagler,Ben Henderson,Rich Franklin,Clay Guida

PostSubject: Re: Why was Muhammad Ali such a controversial figure?   Why was Muhammad Ali such a controversial figure? EmptyTue Jul 20, 2010 3:37 am

He was affiliated with the Nation of Islam
He took a controversial stand regarding the Vietnam War("I ain't got no quarrel with them Viet Cong)
People didn't care for his hubris(although he later admitted most of it was schtick).
Back to top Go down
4445Frank
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Why was Muhammad Ali such a controversial figure?   Why was Muhammad Ali such a controversial figure? EmptyTue Jul 20, 2010 8:17 am

Diego408 wrote:
Off the Ring and in it? Ali was way before my time and just heaaring the dude speak really grinds my gears. I understand many people loved him and some hated him. Why was he so loved?
Diego, check it out for yourself. His whole life is on film and most of it is on You Tube.
Back to top Go down
Ring
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Why was Muhammad Ali such a controversial figure?   Why was Muhammad Ali such a controversial figure? EmptyTue Jul 20, 2010 1:20 pm

In addition to being one of the GOAT, Clay/Ali was a master at promoting and/or drawing attention to himself. More then anything, I just saw Ali as a likable entertainer, why anyone would view him as a hero is a mystery to me.

How ironic and sad, that the "mouth that roared" is now silenced by pugilistic dementia and/or being punch-drunk. Like Joe Frazier said about Ali: "you pay for the things you do when you're a young man."

Last edited by Ring on Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

Favorite Fighter(s) : Arguello, Finito, Duran, Saad Muhammad

PostSubject: Re: Why was Muhammad Ali such a controversial figure?   Why was Muhammad Ali such a controversial figure? EmptyTue Jul 20, 2010 1:27 pm

Ali has a special place in my heart. He demonstrated how civil disobedience ought to be done. When he refused induction into the army (a step I disagreed with btw), he didn't run to Canada and he didn't get violent. He simply stood up, said this is wrong, made his case and took his punishment like a man. In the end he was vindicated. But it was the WAY he acted that was exemplary.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why was Muhammad Ali such a controversial figure?   Why was Muhammad Ali such a controversial figure? EmptyTue Jul 20, 2010 1:35 pm

He spoke up for black people. Let's just say America's history has not been kind to us and he used his position of power to attempt to change things. He was funny and had a quick wit. He was an incredible fighter. That's why he's loved.

He could also be mean and arrogant. He was an outspoken black man. He stuck to his own principles instead of what society wanted him to be. That's why he's hated (but in retrospect some people love him for this).

But mainly he said and did things and his actions carried great weight. He is known for being an activist and a fighter. He politicized everything. Regardless of what he did, some people were bound to disagree with him. And because he spoke from a minority perspective, he usually went against the status quo. That's why he was so controversial.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: Why was Muhammad Ali such a controversial figure?   Why was Muhammad Ali such a controversial figure? EmptyTue Jul 20, 2010 2:33 pm

he happened to weigh in on one of the most controversial times in American history

1 side loved him for his stance, 1 side hated him for his stance

add in he was one of the 3 graetest fighters ever

He honestly wasnt publicly admired or adored like he is today until the Parkinsons stuff came out, that is honestly what put him over the top and why he was voted athlete of the century, his whole legacy compounded wtih the sickness

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why was Muhammad Ali such a controversial figure?   Why was Muhammad Ali such a controversial figure? EmptyTue Jul 20, 2010 2:36 pm

Birdofthad wrote:
he happened to weigh in on one of the most controversial times in American history

He honestly wasnt publicly admired or adored like he is today until the Parkinsons stuff came out, that is honestly what put him over the top and why he was voted athlete of the century, his whole legacy compounded wtih the sickness

I know this is kinda fucked up to say but I am glad he has Parkinsons. He deserves it. I know you guys are about to rip me apart for that but the guy was a draft dodger who also had many affairs and was a flat out racist.
Back to top Go down
Ring
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Why was Muhammad Ali such a controversial figure?   Why was Muhammad Ali such a controversial figure? EmptyTue Jul 20, 2010 3:38 pm

Gumby wrote:
He spoke up for black people. Let's just say America's history has not been kind to us and he used his position of power to attempt to change things. He was funny and had a quick wit. He was an incredible fighter. That's why he's loved.

He could also be mean and arrogant. He was an outspoken black man. He stuck to his own principles instead of what society wanted him to be. That's why he's hated (but in retrospect some people love him for this).

But mainly he said and did things and his actions carried great weight. He is known for being an activist and a fighter. He politicized everything. Regardless of what he did, some people were bound to disagree with him. And because he spoke from a minority perspective, he usually went against the status quo. That's why he was so controversial.

I can see why Ali would have been a hero to many blacks in America, he gave them a sense of pride and a political voice. If i'm not mistaken, he was the first well known black celebrity/athlete to convert to black muslim, that in it's self made him controversial, and likely scared the hell out of white christians in the U.S. bible belt and elsewhere.
Back to top Go down
Canvas
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Why was Muhammad Ali such a controversial figure?   Why was Muhammad Ali such a controversial figure? EmptyTue Jul 20, 2010 3:50 pm

Great, great fighter. I'm not fond of the person.
Back to top Go down
captainanddew
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ricky Burns

PostSubject: Re: Why was Muhammad Ali such a controversial figure?   Why was Muhammad Ali such a controversial figure? EmptyTue Jul 20, 2010 4:27 pm

because he floated like a butterfly and stung like a bee. Seriously, isn't someone like that scary! LOL.
Back to top Go down
4445Frank
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Why was Muhammad Ali such a controversial figure?   Why was Muhammad Ali such a controversial figure? EmptyTue Jul 20, 2010 5:33 pm

Ali was a walking miracle. How does a seemingly skinny kid from Louisville, Kentucky take on an invincible man eater like Sonny Liston and win?. That, along with all the talk, comical grandstanding (That he got from Gorgeous George), I'd say that if you put Redd Fox, Sugar Ray Robinson and Abby Hoffman in a package, you may get Muhammad Ali. The association with the "Nation Of Islam" is a sore spot on his record that I wished never happened. However, he was a naive 20 year old from Louisville, Kentucky at the time who believed everything Elijah "Sicko" Muhammad told him. He really wanted protection from the Mob. What he got was a cult that took his money. What we got was the greatest act in the history of the sport. Ali just did things other people couldn't do and probably won't do for some time. Who else would've beaten George Foreman? Unfortunately, he had a cruel streak and Joe Frazier caught the blunt of that. I never will quite understand why he was so verbally abusive to Frazier. I know that he was given words from the NOI, however they can't be an excuse for everything he did. Ali also gave poor people money, saved lives, etc. Confusing guy, and the most eccentric artist I've ever seen. That's about it from me about Muhammad Ali.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why was Muhammad Ali such a controversial figure?   Why was Muhammad Ali such a controversial figure? EmptyTue Jul 20, 2010 9:08 pm

soonermark890 wrote:
I know this is kinda fucked up to say but I am glad he has Parkinsons. He deserves it. I know you guys are about to rip me apart for that but the guy was a draft dodger who also had many affairs and was a flat out racist.

Yea, I strongly disagree with your thinking he deserves Parkinsons. Just curious, what in particular do you disagree with on his stance on the war? Do you think he was more racist than the society he lived in?
Back to top Go down
4445Frank
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Why was Muhammad Ali such a controversial figure?   Why was Muhammad Ali such a controversial figure? EmptyTue Jul 20, 2010 9:28 pm

Gumby wrote:
soonermark890 wrote:

Yea, I strongly disagree with your thinking he deserves Parkinsons. Just curious, what in particular do you disagree with on his stance on the war? Do you think he was more racist than the society he lived in?
In all fairness, Ali gets a great deal of reactions from different people. He had some harsh moments and many found him insulting. Everybody is entitled to their opinion, especially where Ali is concerned.
Back to top Go down
KrazyHorseBennett
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
KrazyHorseBennett

Favorite Fighter(s) : Charles Bennett is the second coming of Christ.

PostSubject: Re: Why was Muhammad Ali such a controversial figure?   Why was Muhammad Ali such a controversial figure? EmptyTue Jul 20, 2010 9:36 pm

Lot of mixed emotions about the guy. I agree what Ring and Marble said about him but found the way he treated Joe Frazier some of the most despicable shit in the history of sports. Guys like Bryant Gumbel didn't help either, writing articles like the "Joe Frazier: White Man's Champion in a Black Man's Skin".
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

PostSubject: Re: Why was Muhammad Ali such a controversial figure?   Why was Muhammad Ali such a controversial figure? EmptyTue Jul 20, 2010 9:37 pm

KrazyHorseBennett wrote:
Lot of mixed emotions about the guy. I agree what Ring and Marble said about him but found the way he treated Joe Frazier some of the most despicable shit in the history of sports. Guys like Bryant Gumbel didn't help either, writing articles like the "Joe Frazier: White Man's Champion in a Black Man's Skin".

I think having mixed emotions about such a contradictory guy probably reflects pretty clear thinking.
Back to top Go down
Diego408
Green Belt
Green Belt
Diego408

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Marquez Brothers, Robert Guerrero, Abner Mares, Andre Ward, Sergio Martinez, Devon Alexander, Jose Benavidez Jr and Nick Diaz

PostSubject: Re: Why was Muhammad Ali such a controversial figure?   Why was Muhammad Ali such a controversial figure? EmptyTue Jul 20, 2010 9:40 pm

I understand Malcolm X gave Ali the confidence to beat Liston by believing. Was Malcoml X was killed by the Nation of Islam after being enlighten by Sunni islam in his trip to the Mecca? did Elijah put a hit out on him?
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

PostSubject: Re: Why was Muhammad Ali such a controversial figure?   Why was Muhammad Ali such a controversial figure? EmptyTue Jul 20, 2010 9:54 pm

Diego408 wrote:
I understand Malcolm X gave Ali the confidence to beat Liston by believing. Was Malcoml X was killed by the Nation of Islam after being enlighten by Sunni islam in his trip to the Mecca? did Elijah put a hit out on him?

X was killed by members of the Nation after a falling out with Elijah Muhammad. That falling out happened BEFORE X traveled to Mecca.

Did Elijah put the hit out? Hard to imagine it happening without his consent and Farrakhan probably had a hand in it as well. Ali claims one of his great regrets was deserting X.
Back to top Go down
dmar5143
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
dmar5143

Favorite Fighter(s) : marciano pep robinson greb manny pac

PostSubject: Re: Why was Muhammad Ali such a controversial figure?   Why was Muhammad Ali such a controversial figure? EmptyTue Jul 20, 2010 11:27 pm

ali was controversial and at times contraditory..loved and also hated.trust me on that...he came out and developed the best marketing sceam ever in boxing..personable bright and a quick wit made him popular at first..making up poems and promoting himself as the greatest from day one resulted in a lot of young sportwriters being a shill for him..he caught the boxing fans as well as the general publics immagination..his controversy started big time when after he won the title he said he was a black muslim..at that time the image of the black muslim was one of a militant hostile group..this started to alienate some folks..then what many percieved as arragance and surely lack of respect for joe louis at times and his beliitling oponents with name calling alienated many a boxing fan and some of the public.
you had to live in that time to understand the turmoil and division this country had over the viet name war..college kids protested to the point police shot at them and killied them.the democratic party convention was in turmoil..the young folks hero boby kennedy was killed.protest over humphrey getting the nomination dispite not going the primary route..chicago police stormed the protesters and turned the water hoses on them...
ali flunks at first the army mental test..come on hes bright..then stood firm fasing jail time saying im not going in the army to kill folks..he became a hero to young folks..a person who stood up for his convictions.the anti establishment anti hero..
others hated him cause they question his patriatism and viewd ali as a rasist..
thats some resons why hes controversial..
do i love him.nope.do i hate him.nope.i enjoyed a lot of his interviews .very intelligent guy..some of his antics in the begining..ive rooted for him in some fights against him in some.
i do think at times hes revered and dont deserve it..sometimes that is..the one example i thought and still thought was disgusting was the olympic commite giving him the honor of the final tourch thing and giving him a replica of his gold metal..that i hated and wanted to spit in allk there faces including alis...why..in rome italy i believe he trew his metal in the tiber river and insulted verbaly the united states..that to me is unforgiveable.he should of never been honored by the olympics..he didnt deserve it..
outside that im sort of cool on mosat of his stuff..the disrespect he showed many a fighter is unforgivable..thats some reasons why hes controversial.
Back to top Go down
dmar5143
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
dmar5143

Favorite Fighter(s) : marciano pep robinson greb manny pac

PostSubject: Re: Why was Muhammad Ali such a controversial figure?   Why was Muhammad Ali such a controversial figure? EmptyTue Jul 20, 2010 11:37 pm

ring actualy jim brown and bill russell were both black muslims before ali and brown was a influence on ali..amoung others of course.
Back to top Go down
SlickMoneyXL
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
SlickMoneyXL

Favorite Fighter(s) : Miguel Cotto, Efrain Escudero

PostSubject: Re: Why was Muhammad Ali such a controversial figure?   Why was Muhammad Ali such a controversial figure? EmptyWed Jul 21, 2010 12:24 am

soonermark890 wrote:
Birdofthad wrote:

Deserves it? And how was he a flat out racist when him and Cosell were always buddy-buddy?

I got no beef with him dodging the war. Why should he risk his life for a country that treated his people so bad? Like Marble said he took a stand, made his point, and did his time.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why was Muhammad Ali such a controversial figure?   Why was Muhammad Ali such a controversial figure? EmptyWed Jul 21, 2010 1:27 am

SlickMoneyXL wrote:
soonermark890 wrote:
Birdofthad wrote:

Deserves it? And how was he a flat out racist when him and Cosell were always buddy-buddy?

I got no beef with him dodging the war. Why should he risk his life for a country that treated his people so bad? Like Marble said he took a stand, made his point, and did his time.
One Have you ever heard any of the shit that came out of his mouth. Hell he followed Malcolm X. There is no doubt he was not a fan of white people. Also why was it ok for all these other people of all sorts of walks in life to fight in that war but not him? Why is it because he is a famous boxer. The guy is and was a piece of shit. I am Native American and my family proudly fought in that war. So lets not play the race card. The guy was a draft dodger no matter how people try to sugar coat it. He should have done time in prison. Instead they stopped him from playing a sport. WOW what an injustice to Ali.
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

PostSubject: Re: Why was Muhammad Ali such a controversial figure?   Why was Muhammad Ali such a controversial figure? EmptyWed Jul 21, 2010 2:20 am

soonermark890 wrote:
SlickMoneyXL wrote:
soonermark890 wrote:
Birdofthad wrote:

One Have you ever heard any of the shit that came out of his mouth. Hell he followed Malcolm X. There is no doubt he was not a fan of white people. Also why was it ok for all these other people of all sorts of walks in life to fight in that war but not him? Why is it because he is a famous boxer. The guy is and was a piece of shit. I am Native American and my family proudly fought in that war. So lets not play the race card. The guy was a draft dodger no matter how people try to sugar coat it. He should have done time in prison. Instead they stopped him from playing a sport. WOW what an injustice to Ali.

No he wasn't a draft dodger. He was a draft CONFRONTER. he didn't dodge anything. THAT's what made him special. Why was his beef legit? Because the idea of being a conscientious objector has a long an honorable history in this country. Do you really think Ali was insincere? Do you find the idea of conscientious objection odious? Just for the record during Vietnam over 150,000 men obtained such status. So it wasn't just Ali.
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

PostSubject: Re: Why was Muhammad Ali such a controversial figure?   Why was Muhammad Ali such a controversial figure? EmptyWed Jul 21, 2010 2:23 am

SlickMoneyXL wrote:
soonermark890 wrote:
Birdofthad wrote:

VERY hard to make the case Ali wasn't a racist. The guys was an avowed racial seperatist who openly and repeatedly spoke of ALL white men being devils.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: Why was Muhammad Ali such a controversial figure?   Why was Muhammad Ali such a controversial figure? EmptyWed Jul 21, 2010 12:57 pm

marbleheadmaui wrote:
Diego408 wrote:

X was killed by members of the Nation after a falling out with Elijah Muhammad. That falling out happened BEFORE X traveled to Mecca.

Did Elijah put the hit out? Hard to imagine it happening without his consent and Farrakhan probably had a hand in it as well. Ali claims one of his great regrets was deserting X.

basically Malcolm was Elijahs personal preacher and became the keynote speaker of the Nation, Elijah expelled him from the church and coincidentally Malcolm got shot by his own faction

shady all the way around
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why was Muhammad Ali such a controversial figure?   Why was Muhammad Ali such a controversial figure? Empty

Back to top Go down

Why was Muhammad Ali such a controversial figure?
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next