Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Wasted Talent Award

Go down 
+9
NJBeatdown86
KrazyHorseBennett
marbleheadmaui
TopNotch86
Deezy0814
boomer sooner
Canvas
dmar5143
4445Frank
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
4445Frank
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Wasted Talent Award Empty
PostSubject: Wasted Talent Award   Wasted Talent Award EmptyMon May 24, 2010 7:59 am

Did Buster Douglass get lucky against Mike Tyson? Does a fighter, by the draw of a hat, just discover masterful boxing skills for one night? Of course not. Buster was fat and lazy and had a pattern of putting on special performances and getting knocked out in his next outing. One of his handlers said he was addicted to soap operas. So, the undisputed wasted talent award goes to....."Buster Douglass." What about some others? Hector Camacho was a gem of a fighter until Edwin Rosario knocked the "Macho" out of "Camacho." What are some of your choices?
Back to top Go down
dmar5143
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
dmar5143

Favorite Fighter(s) : marciano pep robinson greb manny pac

PostSubject: Re: Wasted Talent Award   Wasted Talent Award EmptyMon May 24, 2010 11:03 am

douglas yes dispayed talent and intelligence and everything else that night for ONE fight..he in the past showed some highlights so to speak of that but very briefly..in the hollifield fight and several after and a few before the tyson fight he showed his true self...lack of heart big time vulnerabilty of the chin and several other shortcomings..one total good performance showed me truly nothing..he is what he is..
Back to top Go down
dmar5143
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
dmar5143

Favorite Fighter(s) : marciano pep robinson greb manny pac

PostSubject: Re: Wasted Talent Award   Wasted Talent Award EmptyMon May 24, 2010 11:06 am

camacho on the other hand still showed plenty of brillance ..not as much of course as in the pre rosario fight when he was truly a extra special fighter..none the less still a fighter of quality..
Back to top Go down
Canvas
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Wasted Talent Award   Wasted Talent Award EmptyMon May 24, 2010 11:19 am

James Toney, Michael Nunn
Back to top Go down
boomer sooner
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, since way back

PostSubject: Re: Wasted Talent Award   Wasted Talent Award EmptyMon May 24, 2010 11:27 am

I actually think Jermaine Taylor is somewhat a wasted talent. If you talk to anyone from his camp, he is unstoppable then when the bell rings he ignores everything he's drilled in camp. With his athleticism, probably could have been better.
Back to top Go down
Canvas
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Wasted Talent Award   Wasted Talent Award EmptyMon May 24, 2010 11:36 am

boomer sooner wrote:
I actually think Jermaine Taylor is somewhat a wasted talent. If you talk to anyone from his camp, he is unstoppable then when the bell rings he ignores everything he's drilled in camp. With his athleticism, probably could have been better.

undisputed, lineal middleweight champ of the world. fought Hopkins (twice), Wright, Pavlik, Froch. pretty good if you ask me. but I understand what you are saying..
Back to top Go down
Deezy0814
Green Belt
Green Belt
Deezy0814

Favorite Fighter(s) : Rampage Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Wasted Talent Award   Wasted Talent Award EmptyMon May 24, 2010 11:53 am

Edwin Valero
Back to top Go down
TopNotch86
TopNotch86

Favorite Fighter(s) : Floyd Mayweather Jr., Timothy Bradley, Shane Mosley, Cornelius Bundrage, Jermaine Taylor, Bernard Hopkins

PostSubject: Re: Wasted Talent Award   Wasted Talent Award EmptyMon May 24, 2010 12:19 pm

james kirkland, i was pumped to see what he could do until he went to jail...that type of time off can ruin a fighter...may be too soon to call him a complete waste of talent but he definitely could have amounted to a word class fighter

victor ortiz could be said to be another example...granted still young...kid has a bag full of talent but doesnt look like he has much heart or desire to win, and as ali said champions arent made in the gym its the desire to win in their hearts...or something along those lines, i cant remember the exact wording lol
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

Favorite Fighter(s) : Arguello, Finito, Duran, Saad Muhammad

PostSubject: Re: Wasted Talent Award   Wasted Talent Award EmptyMon May 24, 2010 1:21 pm

It's funny. I define talent much more broadly than I used to. Fast hands don't mean much if one doesn't have the mental capacity to accept training and live in a disciplined way.

I guess what I'm saying is the following are guys with SOME obvious talents but not others.

Tony Ayala Jr.
Sal Sanchez
Masao Obha
Ricky Womack
Zab Judah
Back to top Go down
4445Frank
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Wasted Talent Award   Wasted Talent Award EmptyMon May 24, 2010 1:25 pm

marbleheadmaui wrote:
It's funny. I define talent much more broadly than I used to. Fast hands don't mean much if one doesn't have the mental capacity to accept training and live in a disciplined way.

I guess what I'm saying is the following are guys with SOME obvious talents but not others.

Tony Ayala Jr.
Sal Sanchez
Masao Obha
Ricky Womack
Zab Judah
Marble, what ever happened to Ricky Womack? I know that he was Holyfield's number one nemesis in the Olympic Trials, but that's the last I ever saw of him. I knew he was from Kronk gym and that's about it.
Back to top Go down
KrazyHorseBennett
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
KrazyHorseBennett

Favorite Fighter(s) : Charles Bennett is the second coming of Christ.

PostSubject: Re: Wasted Talent Award   Wasted Talent Award EmptyMon May 24, 2010 1:28 pm

4445Frank wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:

Tony Ayala Jr.
Sal Sanchez
Masao Obha
Ricky Womack
Zab Judah
Marble, what ever happened to Ricky Womack? I know that he was Holyfield's number one nemesis in the Olympic Trials, but that's the last I ever saw of him. I knew he was from Kronk gym and that's about it.

Was undefeated as a pro when he wound up in the joint for armed robbery. Got out, won a couple fights and committed suicide.
Back to top Go down
4445Frank
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Wasted Talent Award   Wasted Talent Award EmptyMon May 24, 2010 1:30 pm

KrazyHorseBennett wrote:
4445Frank wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:

Tony Ayala Jr.
Sal Sanchez
Masao Obha
Ricky Womack
Zab Judah

Was undefeated as a pro when he wound up in the joint for armed robbery. Got out, won a couple fights and committed suicide.
My God. I wish I never asked. What a tragic waste of talent.
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

PostSubject: Re: Wasted Talent Award   Wasted Talent Award EmptyMon May 24, 2010 1:33 pm

4445Frank wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:

Tony Ayala Jr.
Sal Sanchez
Masao Obha
Ricky Womack
Zab Judah

Went 10-0 as a pro, Committed armed robbery, jailed for a decade, came out, won 3-4 fights, killed self. Not a pretty story.
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

PostSubject: Re: Wasted Talent Award   Wasted Talent Award EmptyMon May 24, 2010 1:33 pm

KrazyHorseBennett wrote:
4445Frank wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:

Tony Ayala Jr.
Sal Sanchez
Masao Obha
Ricky Womack
Zab Judah

Damn, you're quick!
Back to top Go down
KrazyHorseBennett
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
KrazyHorseBennett

Favorite Fighter(s) : Charles Bennett is the second coming of Christ.

PostSubject: Re: Wasted Talent Award   Wasted Talent Award EmptyMon May 24, 2010 1:35 pm

marbleheadmaui wrote:
KrazyHorseBennett wrote:
4445Frank wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:

Tony Ayala Jr.
Sal Sanchez
Masao Obha
Ricky Womack
Zab Judah

Damn, you're quick!

Good timing. And unfortunately familiar with Womack's story.
Back to top Go down
NJBeatdown86
Blue Belt
Blue Belt
NJBeatdown86

Favorite Fighter(s) : Highlander, Ricardo Romero,Roman Gonzalez, Pongsaklek Wonjongkam, Marco Huck, JMM, Frankie Edgar, Jose Aldo

PostSubject: Re: Wasted Talent Award   Wasted Talent Award EmptyMon May 24, 2010 3:58 pm

Edwin Valero
Tony Ayala Jr.
Salvador Sanchez
Zab Judah
Paul Spadafora
Cris Arreola
Eric Morel
James Kirkland
Buster Douglas
Back to top Go down
WinstonSmith
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
WinstonSmith

Favorite Fighter(s) : Marvin Hagler,Ben Henderson,Rich Franklin,Clay Guida

PostSubject: Re: Wasted Talent Award   Wasted Talent Award EmptyMon May 24, 2010 4:27 pm

Alex Ramos
Anthony Hembrick
Back to top Go down
4445Frank
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Wasted Talent Award   Wasted Talent Award EmptyMon May 24, 2010 4:29 pm

WinstonSmith wrote:
Alex Ramos
Anthony Hembrick
Just curious. Why do you say Alex Ramos is wasted talent?
Back to top Go down
Ring
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Wasted Talent Award   Wasted Talent Award EmptyMon May 24, 2010 11:44 pm

Nobody mentioned Ike Ibeabuchi? What a total waste of talent, and what a disappointment for the world of boxing.
Back to top Go down
NJBeatdown86
Blue Belt
Blue Belt
NJBeatdown86

Favorite Fighter(s) : Highlander, Ricardo Romero,Roman Gonzalez, Pongsaklek Wonjongkam, Marco Huck, JMM, Frankie Edgar, Jose Aldo

PostSubject: Re: Wasted Talent Award   Wasted Talent Award EmptyMon May 24, 2010 11:46 pm

I can't believe I forgot Ike. Yeah, sick thing is that if he gets paroled, he'll have a whole string of "comeback" fights waiting for him before he's even processed out.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Wasted Talent Award   Wasted Talent Award EmptyMon May 24, 2010 11:48 pm

Deezy0814 wrote:
Edwin Valero
Best answer yet.

I would like to add Ike Ibeabuchi.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: Wasted Talent Award   Wasted Talent Award EmptyTue May 25, 2010 12:06 am

great friekin list marbele

Ayala Jr is the epitome of wasted talent IMO

Jesus Chavez wasted alot of talent and prime in jail or inbetween trials

James Kirkland has wasted talent thats for sure
Back to top Go down
NJBeatdown86
Blue Belt
Blue Belt
NJBeatdown86

PostSubject: Re: Wasted Talent Award   Wasted Talent Award EmptyTue May 25, 2010 12:10 am

Spadafora tends to be underlooked in the "wasted talent" department. He wasn't a heavy puncher, but he had great boxing skill and had one some tough fights (the Dorin fight standing out the most). Hell he whooped Floyd's ass in the gym.

Then he decided to shoot his girlfriend.
Back to top Go down
Ring
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Wasted Talent Award   Wasted Talent Award EmptyTue May 25, 2010 12:13 am

NJBeatdown86 wrote:
I can't believe I forgot Ike. Yeah, sick thing is that if he gets paroled, he'll have a whole string of "comeback" fights waiting for him before he's even processed out.

If Ike ever gets paroled, one of the first things that would happen would be deportation, his next parole hearing is May 2012, he's been denied parole 3 times, in 2004, 2007, and 2009.
Back to top Go down
hardcoreBEE24
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Thomas Hearns

PostSubject: Re: Wasted Talent Award   Wasted Talent Award EmptyTue May 25, 2010 12:52 am

Birdofthad wrote:
great friekin list marbele

Ayala Jr is the epitome of wasted talent IMO

Jesus Chavez wasted alot of talent and prime in jail or inbetween trials

James Kirkland has wasted talent thats for sure

TWICE, right?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wasted Talent Award   Wasted Talent Award Empty

Back to top Go down

Wasted Talent Award