Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

What boxing match broke your heart?

Go down 
+13
timthebim
Undisputed_P4P
powerpuncher
kbyte
hardcoreBEE24
acccardinal12
dmar5143
Canvas
NBrooks5
Birdofthad
bobbitt15
marbleheadmaui
4445Frank
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
4445Frank
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

What boxing match broke your heart? Empty
PostSubject: What boxing match broke your heart?   What boxing match broke your heart? EmptyWed May 19, 2010 4:33 pm

My weakness was the "Meldrick Taylor - Julio Chaves fight." Truth be told, I wasn't even that big of a Taylor fan. I liked him, but I was still comparing everyone to Ray Leonard. When the fight began, however, there was a surprise. Taylor was dominating Chavez. Better put, it seemed as though he was dominating Chavez. He won the first 9 or ten rounds, but somehow had taken loads of punishment in those rounds. Going in the 11th, Chavez look relatively fresh while Taylor looked as though he was a victim of a mugging. Chavez comes on strong in the last two rounds and they stop the fight with 3 seconds left. I still feel suspicious as to the condition of Julio's gloves, though no allegations were ever even bought up. I'll never forget the expression on Taylor's face when Steele stopped the fight. It was as though his very being had been deflated and he was never the same afterwards. Everyone has a fight like this. This one is mine.
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

Favorite Fighter(s) : Arguello, Finito, Duran, Saad Muhammad

PostSubject: Re: What boxing match broke your heart?   What boxing match broke your heart? EmptyWed May 19, 2010 4:58 pm

That is one of the stranger fights I've seen. I mean it was obvious by the tenth round that Chavez had kicked the living daylights out of Taylor. Yet Taylor was so flashy that's what one noticed. Can you think of another fight where a guy who was badly behind had caused such damage? I can't.

When Alexis slumped to the floor at the beginning of the 14th after the fight with Aaron Pryor was stopped I nearly cried.

The kind of generic fight that makes me sad is the once-great pro who not only isn't himself anymore, but is now not even competent in the ring.
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: What boxing match broke your heart?   What boxing match broke your heart? EmptyWed May 19, 2010 5:01 pm

Good thread

Watching Taylor gas out and lose to Froch when he just had to avoid getting stopped in the 12th hurt

The last few performances of Gatti's career
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: What boxing match broke your heart?   What boxing match broke your heart? EmptyWed May 19, 2010 5:16 pm

thankfully i havent had my heart broken yet in boxing

mma is another thing

Tyson McBride would probably be the saddest boxing match Ive watched though, and I wasnt even that big of a Tyson fan
Back to top Go down
4445Frank
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: What boxing match broke your heart?   What boxing match broke your heart? EmptyWed May 19, 2010 5:20 pm

The kind of generic fight that makes me sad is the once-great pro who not only isn't himself anymore, but is now not even competent in the ring.[/quote]

Marble, I've arrived at the point where I prepare myself for a fighters downfall. It's always horrible to see a once great fighter being slapped around by boxers who would've been his sparring partners during his glory years. I saw Chavez in his final years and Ali in his. I'm prepared to see Manny Pacquiao on the downslide years from now. Though I'm not a fan of Mayweather, it's going to be sad to see him beaten up in the twilight of his career. Even people who think they'll enjoy that are only fooling themselves. I guess I'm what you'd call a hardened veteren.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: What boxing match broke your heart?   What boxing match broke your heart? EmptyWed May 19, 2010 5:35 pm

Campbell vs Bradley was hard to watch even though Nate won a round he didnt look the same, glad I didnt watch the Ortiz fight
Back to top Go down
NBrooks5
Orange Belt
Orange Belt
NBrooks5

Favorite Fighter(s) : Manny, JMM, Casamayor and Katsidis

PostSubject: Re: What boxing match broke your heart?   What boxing match broke your heart? EmptyWed May 19, 2010 5:50 pm

Margarito-Mosley. Actually the prefight of Margarito-Mosley ruined Cotto-Margarito for me.
Back to top Go down
4445Frank
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: What boxing match broke your heart?   What boxing match broke your heart? EmptyWed May 19, 2010 6:00 pm

[quote="NBrooks5"]Margarito-Mosley. Actually the prefight of Margarito-Mosley ruined Cotto-Margarito for me.[/quote] Brooks, I'm interested in why you say this.
Back to top Go down
NBrooks5
Orange Belt
Orange Belt
NBrooks5

Favorite Fighter(s) : Manny, JMM, Casamayor and Katsidis

PostSubject: Re: What boxing match broke your heart?   What boxing match broke your heart? EmptyWed May 19, 2010 6:10 pm

I think the whole hand wrap fiasco brings Margarito's win into question. And that was a great fight.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What boxing match broke your heart?   What boxing match broke your heart? EmptyWed May 19, 2010 6:17 pm

ODH vs Pac. It was so sad to watch one of my favorite fighters at the time go out like that. Pac beat him from the first bell and ODH was never in the fight. Also I was really happy for Pac at the same time. I was huge Pac fan also but it was still sad to see ODH beat the way he was in that fight.
Back to top Go down
Canvas
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: What boxing match broke your heart?   What boxing match broke your heart? EmptyWed May 19, 2010 6:21 pm

Leonard vs Norris. I damn near wanted to cry.
Back to top Go down
dmar5143
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
dmar5143

Favorite Fighter(s) : marciano pep robinson greb manny pac

PostSubject: Re: What boxing match broke your heart?   What boxing match broke your heart? EmptyWed May 19, 2010 6:59 pm

pryor-arguello was one of mine..im a fan of both but was rooting for alexis and ifhe was to loss i wanted it after 15 rounds..hes such a great fighter and a fantastic guy..i talked with him a few times in miami when he was retired..the one fight disgussed was the mancini fight..i loved both guys and that was one fight i rooted for no one just please go the 15..the way they conducted themselves after the fight is amoung the classist things in boxing ive ever seen..the respect and honest affection that had for each other was magnificent..arguello asking about rays dad and said with a hug say hello to your dad for me..very touching and genuine.
ive rooted against tyson in many a fight but for example the lewis fight i was hoping mike win..the same in the mcbride fight..tyson was pitafull quiting against a pug that could not quality to be a sparing partner of and to a sparing partner..
Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Cung Le, BJ Penn, Mayhem, Chael Sonnen, Anthony Pettis

PostSubject: Re: What boxing match broke your heart?   What boxing match broke your heart? EmptyWed May 19, 2010 7:02 pm

I have two. Tyson-Douglas was one, but RJJ vs I think it was Glenn or Vernon Johnson??? I was bragging about RJJ being the GOAT and he made me look silly. I was pretty mad because it was a huge letdown even if I hadn't talked smack. Help me out on the opponents name?
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: What boxing match broke your heart?   What boxing match broke your heart? EmptyWed May 19, 2010 7:03 pm

Glencoffe "The Road Warrior" Johnson
Back to top Go down
hardcoreBEE24
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Thomas Hearns

PostSubject: Re: What boxing match broke your heart?   What boxing match broke your heart? EmptyWed May 19, 2010 7:09 pm

Hatton vs Zoo

Tyson Vs. Holmes
Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Cung Le, BJ Penn, Mayhem, Chael Sonnen, Anthony Pettis

PostSubject: Re: What boxing match broke your heart?   What boxing match broke your heart? EmptyWed May 19, 2010 7:11 pm

bobbitt15 wrote:
Glencoffe "The Road Warrior" Johnson

thanks. I thought that was it. Roy let me down that nite.
Back to top Go down
kbyte
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt
kbyte

Favorite Fighter(s) : Oscar De la Hoya, Ricky Hatton

PostSubject: Re: What boxing match broke your heart?   What boxing match broke your heart? EmptyWed May 19, 2010 7:41 pm

Oscar looking a really sad figure being beaten up by Pac. A single tear rolled down my cheek at the end of that one. It was just horrible to watch.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What boxing match broke your heart?   What boxing match broke your heart? EmptyWed May 19, 2010 7:48 pm

Antonio Margarito vs Shane Mosley.

At the time I was a huge Margarito fan and the wraps scandal hadn't escalated yet. Obviously I recovered pretty soon once I realized Tony was a cheating scumbag.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What boxing match broke your heart?   What boxing match broke your heart? EmptyWed May 19, 2010 7:49 pm

kbyte wrote:
Oscar looking a really sad figure being beaten up by Pac. A single tear rolled down my cheek at the end of that one. It was just horrible to watch.
Yep that was mine too.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What boxing match broke your heart?   What boxing match broke your heart? EmptyWed May 19, 2010 7:52 pm

kbyte wrote:

The round where Oscar gets trapped in the corner and grabs hold of a rope to steady himself was brutal to watch.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What boxing match broke your heart?   What boxing match broke your heart? EmptyWed May 19, 2010 7:53 pm

Ali_1748 wrote:
kbyte wrote:

The round where Oscar gets trapped in the corner and grabs hold of a rope to steady himself was brutal to watch.
The last round I kept saying why have they not stopped it?
Back to top Go down
kbyte
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt
kbyte

PostSubject: Re: What boxing match broke your heart?   What boxing match broke your heart? EmptyWed May 19, 2010 8:11 pm

Just shows how tough Oscar's chin was to be able to withstand what Pac was throwing at him.
Back to top Go down
powerpuncher
Green Belt
Green Belt
powerpuncher

PostSubject: Re: What boxing match broke your heart?   What boxing match broke your heart? EmptyWed May 19, 2010 8:17 pm

i was sad during the ODLH vs pac fight but i knew at least he was going to retire. i nearly cried when hopkins KO'd him with a body shot though.

also when morales got worked by raheem i could hardly handle it. im so glad that i missed the 3rd morales vs pac fight. i dont think that i would have been able to handle it.
Back to top Go down
kbyte
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt
kbyte

PostSubject: Re: What boxing match broke your heart?   What boxing match broke your heart? EmptyWed May 19, 2010 8:20 pm

powerpuncher wrote:
i was sad during the ODLH vs pac fight but i knew at least he was going to retire. i nearly cried when hopkins KO'd him with a body shot though.

also when morales got worked by raheem i could hardly handle it. im so glad that i missed the 3rd morales vs pac fight. i dont think that i would have been able to handle it.
Pac Morales 3 is very sad to watch too. Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What boxing match broke your heart?   What boxing match broke your heart? EmptyWed May 19, 2010 8:28 pm

I saw a bit of Erik Morales last fight on KOTV last night, he looked flat and chubby but the fight was actually exciting. Call me cruel, but I wouldn't mind seeing JMM vs Morales at 140lb.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What boxing match broke your heart?   What boxing match broke your heart? Empty

Back to top Go down

What boxing match broke your heart?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next