Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Can the UFC make their own divisions?

Go down 
+2
Farmer1906
Wolfgangsta
6 posters
AuthorMessage

Can the UFC make their own divisions? Empty
PostSubject: Can the UFC make their own divisions?   Can the UFC make their own divisions? EmptySat May 08, 2010 9:52 am

Can the UFC create a cruiserweight division if they wanted or do they have to go through the State Athletic Commissions?
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

PostSubject: Re: Can the UFC make their own divisions?   Can the UFC make their own divisions? EmptySat May 08, 2010 10:25 am

Some bodies have already begun to add those weight classes, and I forget exactly what sanctioning body actually made these changes, the ABA or something, but last year but I believe the real unified rules of MMA were changed to include them.
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif

PostSubject: Re: Can the UFC make their own divisions?   Can the UFC make their own divisions? EmptySat May 08, 2010 10:46 am

The Crusierweight division in boxing has always been treated like the ugly girl at the dance, I don't see why you guys want one for MMA.
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

Favorite Fighter(s) : Griffin, Franklin, Hendo, Sonnen, Wand, Lawler, Belfort, Pettis, Aldo, Mousasi

PostSubject: Re: Can the UFC make their own divisions?   Can the UFC make their own divisions? EmptySat May 08, 2010 10:49 am

Ali_1748 wrote:
The Crusierweight division in boxing has always been treated like the ugly girl at the dance, I don't see why you guys want one for MMA.

People want it for smaller HWs who can't hang with Lesnar, Carwin, and the rest of the huge guys.
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, JOSH KOSCHECK, SPIDER

PostSubject: Re: Can the UFC make their own divisions?   Can the UFC make their own divisions? EmptySat May 08, 2010 10:56 am

Ali_1748 wrote:

The cruiserweight in Boxing is always just a stepping stone to the HW division anyway the same as it would be in MMA.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Can the UFC make their own divisions?   Can the UFC make their own divisions? EmptySat May 08, 2010 11:05 am

timthebim wrote:
Ali_1748 wrote:

The cruiserweight in Boxing is always just a stepping stone to the HW division anyway the same as it would be in MMA.

It did produce Evander Holyfield though Smile Remember those wars with Qwai ?
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, JOSH KOSCHECK, SPIDER

PostSubject: Re: Can the UFC make their own divisions?   Can the UFC make their own divisions? EmptySat May 08, 2010 11:12 am

Ali_1748 wrote:
timthebim wrote:
Ali_1748 wrote:

Yeah they was great and also the James Toney vs Jirov fight was awesome 2.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Can the UFC make their own divisions?   Can the UFC make their own divisions? EmptySat May 08, 2010 11:16 am

timthebim wrote:
Ali_1748 wrote:
timthebim wrote:
Ali_1748 wrote:

Yeah they was great and also the James Toney vs Jirov fight was awesome 2.

Mormeck vs Bell aswell and Adamek vs Cunnigham. Honestly I don't know why the division doesn't get more love.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Can the UFC make their own divisions?   Can the UFC make their own divisions? EmptySat May 08, 2010 12:32 pm

Boxers though are much smaller than MMA fighters. In boxing the Light-Heavyweight limit is 175 and the Cruiserweight limit is 200 pounds. If a boxer weighed between 190-200 it's better for them to put the extra weight and fight at Heavyweight. That's why the cruiserweight division isn't that big.
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva, Jose Aldo

PostSubject: Re: Can the UFC make their own divisions?   Can the UFC make their own divisions? EmptySat May 08, 2010 1:33 pm

It wouldn't be the same as in Boxing, I think eventually it will be neccassary
Back to top Go down
GolbeZ
Administrator
Administrator
GolbeZ

Favorite Fighter(s) : Condit, Machida, Aldo, Bendo, KJ Noons, Dominick Cruz The Praying Mantis

PostSubject: Re: Can the UFC make their own divisions?   Can the UFC make their own divisions? EmptySat May 08, 2010 2:32 pm

I would like to have a 235 division .. but maybe thats just me. I guess that would water down the HW division.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Can the UFC make their own divisions?   Can the UFC make their own divisions? EmptySat May 08, 2010 3:38 pm

MMA should stick with boxings original seven divisions.

Heavyweight
Light Heavyweight
Middleweight
Welterweight
Lightweight
Featherweight
Bantamweight
Back to top Go down
KrazyHorseBennett
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
KrazyHorseBennett

Favorite Fighter(s) : Charles Bennett is the second coming of Christ.

PostSubject: Re: Can the UFC make their own divisions?   Can the UFC make their own divisions? EmptySat May 08, 2010 3:43 pm

Ali_1748 wrote:

Yep, it's pretty much been the ginger child of boxing for most of its existence.

Evander, Haye, Juan Carlos Gomez.........am I missing any other great cruisers? Jirov maybe?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Can the UFC make their own divisions?   Can the UFC make their own divisions? Empty

Back to top Go down

Can the UFC make their own divisions?
Page 1 of 1