Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Hughes/Gracie was horrible

Go down 
+6
Birdofthad
Cu Bu
GDPofDRC
Farmer1906
NoRegret
MMAEYES
10 posters
AuthorMessage
MMAEYES
Black Belt
Black Belt
MMAEYES

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, FEDOR, NICK DIAZ

Hughes/Gracie was horrible Empty
PostSubject: Hughes/Gracie was horrible   Hughes/Gracie was horrible EmptyTue Apr 13, 2010 10:14 am

I was thinking as I was watching that fight over last night if the main event wasn't so shitty more people would be dogging on Renzo's performance. That motherfucker looked like he didn't train at all. And I can't believe Hughes wasn't more aggressive, he must of really been scared of Renzo's subs or something. Terrible display of pro mma
Back to top Go down
NoRegret
Red Belt
Red Belt
NoRegret

Favorite Fighter(s) : Anyone that comes to FIGHT!

PostSubject: Re: Hughes/Gracie was horrible   Hughes/Gracie was horrible EmptyTue Apr 13, 2010 11:00 am

MMAEYES wrote:
I was thinking as I was watching that fight over last night if the main event wasn't so shitty more people would be dogging on Renzo's performance. That motherfucker looked like he didn't train at all. And I can't believe Hughes wasn't more aggressive, he must of really been scared of Renzo's subs or something. Terrible display of pro mma

I already talked about this.

I expected the match to be fairly boring because neither fighters are the type that stand and bang. They're both over the hump as far as their fighting careers go.

Dana gave Matt a fighter that was even farther over the hump than he was so that Matt could finally get a win standing up IMO.
Back to top Go down
MMAEYES
Black Belt
Black Belt
MMAEYES

PostSubject: Re: Hughes/Gracie was horrible   Hughes/Gracie was horrible EmptyTue Apr 13, 2010 11:04 am

My bad Regret didn't see it. I was just watching it again last night thinking of how highly thought of Renzo was over there. I wonder what they think of him now? He should have atleast came in shape.
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

Favorite Fighter(s) : Griffin, Franklin, Hendo, Sonnen, Wand, Lawler, Belfort, Pettis, Aldo, Mousasi

PostSubject: Re: Hughes/Gracie was horrible   Hughes/Gracie was horrible EmptyTue Apr 13, 2010 11:04 am

NoRegret wrote:
MMAEYES wrote:

I expected the match to be fairly boring because neither fighters are the type that stand and bang. They're both over the hump as far as their fighting careers go.

Dana gave Matt a fighter that was even farther over the hump than he was so that Matt could finally get a win standing up IMO.

Dana also gave Gracie a fight in his "home town" vs a big name fighter that is past his prime with zero stand up and like to be on the ground in Gracie's world. If Renzo can't beat Hughes on the feet then he doesn't stand much a of a chance vs the rest of the WW and LW in the world.
Back to top Go down
NoRegret
Red Belt
Red Belt
NoRegret

PostSubject: Re: Hughes/Gracie was horrible   Hughes/Gracie was horrible EmptyTue Apr 13, 2010 11:06 am

Farmer1906 wrote:
NoRegret wrote:
MMAEYES wrote:

Dana also gave Gracie a fight in his "home town" vs a big name fighter that is past his prime with zero stand up and like to be on the ground in Gracie's world. If Renzo can't beat Hughes on the feet then he doesn't stand much a of a chance vs the rest of the WW and LW in the world.

Thats what im saying...both these guys are way over the hump. Renzo is farther over the hump...he hasnt been relevant in MMA in a long time...this one was for Hughes so he could finally get one standing up....thats the only logical reasoning I would have for why this fight was even made and also why Matt didnt attempt one takedown the entire fight.
Back to top Go down
NoRegret
Red Belt
Red Belt
NoRegret

PostSubject: Re: Hughes/Gracie was horrible   Hughes/Gracie was horrible EmptyTue Apr 13, 2010 11:09 am

MMAEYES wrote:
My bad Regret didn't see it. I was just watching it again last night thinking of how highly thought of Renzo was over there. I wonder what they think of him now? He should have atleast came in shape.

Its all good dude, I can talk about the same stuff over and over and over haha it doesnt bug me.

Yeah, that was an extremely poor display by Renzo, an amateur could have come in and had just as good of results as he did in that fight.
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

PostSubject: Re: Hughes/Gracie was horrible   Hughes/Gracie was horrible EmptyTue Apr 13, 2010 11:13 am

They are who we thought they were.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/v/skCV2L0c6K0
MMAEYES
Black Belt
Black Belt
MMAEYES

PostSubject: Re: Hughes/Gracie was horrible   Hughes/Gracie was horrible EmptyTue Apr 13, 2010 11:22 am

GDPofDRC wrote:
They are who we thought they were.

For me it's "they are who you guys said they are" cause I am always trying to hold on to the hope that the legands aren't done.
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

Favorite Fighter(s) : Griffin, Franklin, Hendo, Sonnen, Wand, Lawler, Belfort, Pettis, Aldo, Mousasi

PostSubject: Re: Hughes/Gracie was horrible   Hughes/Gracie was horrible EmptyTue Apr 13, 2010 11:36 am

NoRegret wrote:
MMAEYES wrote:

Its all good dude, I can talk about the same stuff over and over and over haha it doesnt bug me.

Yeah, that was an extremely poor display by Renzo, an amateur could have come in and had just as good of results as he did in that fight.

If any amateur comes in vs these guys then they're done. Hughes and Gracie are world class grapplers. In this case Hughes, being the wrestler, dictated where the fight went. He felt like he was in zero danger standing while even though his top game is great, Gracie is still a threat to pull a sub on the ground. These guys aren't at their peak, but they are no where near as bad as some people are making them sound.
Back to top Go down
Cu Bu
Black Belt
Black Belt
Cu Bu

Favorite Fighter(s) : AXE MURDERER

PostSubject: Re: Hughes/Gracie was horrible   Hughes/Gracie was horrible EmptyTue Apr 13, 2010 12:51 pm

I was hoping to see some great guard by Renzo and didnt see any, I think matts standup is undervalued on this thread, Yeah he wont beat good standup fighters but he could beat some middle of the road wws if he went for a takedown now and then to keep his opponant guessing
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: Hughes/Gracie was horrible   Hughes/Gracie was horrible EmptyTue Apr 13, 2010 2:27 pm

this was a 43 year olds last hoorah

he was tough for 1 round, I enjoyed the fight

Hughes gave Renzo alot of respect for good reason
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: Hughes/Gracie was horrible   Hughes/Gracie was horrible EmptyTue Apr 13, 2010 2:31 pm

Birdofthad wrote:
this was a 43 year olds last hoorah

he was tough for 1 round, I enjoyed the fight

Hughes gave Renzo alot of respect for good reason

Yeah I thought he had some nice power behind his punches in round 1. I think that power made Hughes cautious.
Back to top Go down
Ludo
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
Ludo

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Prodigy, The Great, Viking Dahmer, The Phenom

PostSubject: Re: Hughes/Gracie was horrible   Hughes/Gracie was horrible EmptyTue Apr 13, 2010 2:32 pm

Those leg kicks were brutal. And while not all of them were set up brilliantly, obviously they didn't have to be. I believe Hughes has some mileage left on him yet, just not against top guys.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: Hughes/Gracie was horrible   Hughes/Gracie was horrible EmptyTue Apr 13, 2010 2:33 pm

Hughes said in round 1 when he went to the fence he felt like Renzo was baiting him into it and he got cautious about going to the fence with Renzo, Renzo brings stuff like that to the table even at 43 . It was clear Hughes didnt want any part of the ground

Wasnt every person on here saying Hughes would Ground and Pound and get numerous takedowns and Renzo wouldnt be off his bak in this fight.

Played out exact opposite
Back to top Go down
redvexx8
Green Belt
Green Belt
redvexx8

PostSubject: Re: Hughes/Gracie was horrible   Hughes/Gracie was horrible EmptyTue Apr 13, 2010 10:47 pm

Matt did try to take him down unsuccessfully. Before Gracie gassed he was on his way to winning that fight.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

PostSubject: Re: Hughes/Gracie was horrible   Hughes/Gracie was horrible EmptyWed Apr 14, 2010 12:11 am

agree red, Renzo won the first round
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

PostSubject: Re: Hughes/Gracie was horrible   Hughes/Gracie was horrible EmptyWed Apr 14, 2010 12:45 am

redvexx8 wrote:
Matt did try to take him down unsuccessfully. Before Gracie gassed he was on his way to winning that fight.

Incorrect. He clinched, but I don't think he ever really attempted to take Gracie down. Even say he wanted it down then why didn't he jump on him late?
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

PostSubject: Re: Hughes/Gracie was horrible   Hughes/Gracie was horrible EmptyWed Apr 14, 2010 9:26 pm

Hughes fights are either

A. awesome because someone is kicking his ass

B. crappy because he is laying on someone getting hot and bothered like the closet gay he is
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hughes/Gracie was horrible   Hughes/Gracie was horrible Empty

Back to top Go down

Hughes/Gracie was horrible
Page 1 of 1