Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Jens Pulver

Go down 
+9
Wolfgangsta
muayjitsu
chorky777
ohiovol62
Birdofthad
SOKO
OU
Farmer1906
thome_nerko
13 posters
AuthorMessage
thome_nerko
White Belt
White Belt
thome_nerko

Favorite Fighter(s) : Your Mom

Jens Pulver Empty
PostSubject: Jens Pulver   Jens Pulver EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 12:42 pm

I get a little tired of Jens Pulver being given "legend" status at every WEC event. That's all I hear over and over that he is a legend, blah blah blah etc. I don't believe him or his career to be legendary. Is it customary to name a guy to legend status right about the time they reach has-been status?
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

Favorite Fighter(s) : Griffin, Franklin, Hendo, Sonnen, Wand, Lawler, Belfort, Pettis, Aldo, Mousasi

Jens Pulver Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jens Pulver   Jens Pulver EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 12:46 pm

He doesn't have the dominating resume as others but he went 5-1-1 in the early days of the UFC where he won the title and defended it twice and has wins over BJ Penn, Caol Uno, Dennis Hallman, and Joe Stevenson. He was also one of the few guys who was able to goto Japan and be successful as well.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

Jens Pulver Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jens Pulver   Jens Pulver EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 12:53 pm

Pulver is a legend
Back to top Go down
SOKO
Black Belt
Black Belt
SOKO

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Dragon, Kenflo, Hendo, Guida, Ace, Wand, Cain, Carwin, Foreman, Evander, Oscar

Jens Pulver Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jens Pulver   Jens Pulver EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 1:42 pm

OUSOONERSOU wrote:
Pulver is a legend

+1 he is in my book and I still want to see him come back and fight and stop trying to kick someone that will take you down. If he wouldnt of thrown those kicks imo he could of kept it standing and had a better chance. Pulver needs to relax a bit in the cage but I guess its hard to when your 1-7
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

Jens Pulver Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jens Pulver   Jens Pulver EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 3:40 pm

sorry your wrong

when you beat Caol Uno at the height of his career and then beat BJ Penn you deserve to be called a legend
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

Jens Pulver Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jens Pulver   Jens Pulver EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 3:41 pm

sokolkevin wrote:
OUSOONERSOU wrote:
Pulver is a legend

+1 he is in my book and I still want to see him come back and fight and stop trying to kick someone that will take you down. If he wouldnt of thrown those kicks imo he could of kept it standing and had a better chance. Pulver needs to relax a bit in the cage but I guess its hard to when your 1-7

you touched on the main thing, in his prime, he didnt get single legged on cue everytime, know he cant get away from it
Back to top Go down
ohiovol62
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
ohiovol62

Favorite Fighter(s) : Sakuraba, Fedor, GSP, and Big Nog

Jens Pulver Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jens Pulver   Jens Pulver EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 4:25 pm

Birdofthad wrote:
sorry your wrong

when you beat Caol Uno at the height of his career and then beat BJ Penn you deserve to be called a legend

Yep. Nerko's prolly been watching MMA for a year so he wouldn't know
Back to top Go down
chorky777
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Weidman, McGregor, Pettis, Cowboy

Jens Pulver Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jens Pulver   Jens Pulver EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 4:29 pm

In the recent past, I was a bit of a Pulver hater, but I was in the arena on Saturday for his fight. If you felt the crowd, and saw how much everyone there loved the guy, you wouldn't doubt that the guy is a legend. He's been such an ambassador to the sport, he's the nicest guy you'll ever meet. He takes the time to speak to his fans. And they didn't show it on TV, but he went into the crowd and was greeted with such love. It was a really powerful thing to see and be a part of.
Back to top Go down
muayjitsu
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
muayjitsu

Favorite Fighter(s) : Wand, Thiago Alves, BJ Penn, Cain, Vitor, Tito, SHOGUN

Jens Pulver Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jens Pulver   Jens Pulver EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 6:01 pm

Wow if other fighters and competitors call you a legend.....you probably are. Legends don't always have to be champs.

Horrible post i would do the whole neg rep thing, but i will leave it as a naive comment.
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

Favorite Fighter(s) : Griffin, Franklin, Hendo, Sonnen, Wand, Lawler, Belfort, Pettis, Aldo, Mousasi

Jens Pulver Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jens Pulver   Jens Pulver EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 6:02 pm

muayjitsu wrote:
Wow if other fighters and competitors call you a legend.....you probably are. Legends don't always have to be champs.

Horrible post i would do the whole neg rep thing, but i will leave it as a naive comment.

He was a champ though
Back to top Go down
muayjitsu
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
muayjitsu

Favorite Fighter(s) : Wand, Thiago Alves, BJ Penn, Cain, Vitor, Tito, SHOGUN

Jens Pulver Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jens Pulver   Jens Pulver EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 6:09 pm

I know but I was trying to make the point that you don't have to be the most illustrious winner to be a legend.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

Jens Pulver Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jens Pulver   Jens Pulver EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 6:36 pm

He was the first LW champ and was clearly the best LW in the early days of the UFC. He was pivitol for early Zuffa UFC. Nerko is known for his outlandish opinions, the last thing he posted here before this was "ya no way the UFC really does this Abu Dhabi show"
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

Jens Pulver Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jens Pulver   Jens Pulver EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 8:02 pm

Also, only one person holds a win over BJ Penn at lightweight....even though i thought Penn clearly won the fight. Fact is, Pulver made it a close decision and gave himself a chance to win. A lot more than you can say about Penn's other opponents in the weight class.

First LW champ....most of all though he is a great guy, and that's why he will always be held in high regard. He has his place in UFC history and there have been few guys, if any more likeable than him.

With that said, i'm annoyed that guys like Ken and Frank Shamrock are trashed on for destroying their legacies by staying active despite losing more often than winning yet Pulver is 1-7 in his last 8 and people still treat him like everything is in tact from before he was the jobber of FW's.
Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Cung Le, BJ Penn, Mayhem, Chael Sonnen, Anthony Pettis

Jens Pulver Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jens Pulver   Jens Pulver EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 8:50 pm

chorky777 wrote:
In the recent past, I was a bit of a Pulver hater, but I was in the arena on Saturday for his fight. If you felt the crowd, and saw how much everyone there loved the guy, you wouldn't doubt that the guy is a legend. He's been such an ambassador to the sport, he's the nicest guy you'll ever meet. He takes the time to speak to his fans. And they didn't show it on TV, but he went into the crowd and was greeted with such love. It was a really powerful thing to see and be a part of.

This is what makes him a legend even if he hadn't been LW champ. He was one of the guys that fought for 145ers and helped put them on the map. Without Pulver the WEC would be one year behind where it is right now.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Jens Pulver Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jens Pulver   Jens Pulver EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 1:08 am

KingsOwn19 wrote:
Also, only one person holds a win over BJ Penn at lightweight....even though i thought Penn clearly won the fight. Fact is, Pulver made it a close decision and gave himself a chance to win. A lot more than you can say about Penn's other opponents in the weight class.

First LW champ....most of all though he is a great guy, and that's why he will always be held in high regard. He has his place in UFC history and there have been few guys, if any more likeable than him.

With that said, i'm annoyed that guys like Ken and Frank Shamrock are trashed on for destroying their legacies by staying active despite losing more often than winning yet Pulver is 1-7 in his last 8 and people still treat him like everything is in tact from before he was the jobber of FW's.

Frank and Ken are unlucky, most people wont admit it but they never watched Ken or Frank in their primes. They heard about them but never witnessed what made them legends. They were introduced by TUF so to them Ken especially didnt live up to the hype they had heard. That tends to happen when you are past your prime. Problem is if Ken never came back half the people that rag on him probably would have a different opinion of him.

My big comeback to people that would rag on Ken was wait till Chuck gets old. It happens to them all, nobody is above it barring retirement.
Back to top Go down
Ninja
Administrator
Administrator
Ninja

Favorite Fighter(s) : Anyone with the last name Rua or Emelianenko and Uncle Creepy

Jens Pulver Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jens Pulver   Jens Pulver EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 1:11 am

I consider him a legend in MMA. He is the pioneer LW.
Back to top Go down
https://ninjasplace.forumotion.net
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

Jens Pulver Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jens Pulver   Jens Pulver EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 1:20 am

Little Evil is part of MMA history and has a significant role in the lighter weight lore. Guys in similar positions also suffered losses in the autumn's of their careers but are also still legends. His prime will define him regardless of his finish.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/v/skCV2L0c6K0
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Jens Pulver Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jens Pulver   Jens Pulver EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 1:35 am

1 question though

is Cub Swanson out of the WEC yet?
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

Jens Pulver Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jens Pulver   Jens Pulver EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 1:39 am

He got amazing kneed by Aldo and beat a few other guys after he lost to Pulver. He fought for WEC at the end of last year at one of their shows.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/v/skCV2L0c6K0
Sponsored content

Jens Pulver Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jens Pulver   Jens Pulver Empty

Back to top Go down

Jens Pulver
Page 1 of 1