Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The Greatness of Jens Pulver

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

The Greatness of Jens Pulver Empty
PostSubject: The Greatness of Jens Pulver   The Greatness of Jens Pulver EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 2:45 am

In light of what was probably Pulver's last fight, it is clear this is needed.

Jens "Little Evil" Pulver was introduced to the MMA world at Bas Ruttens 2nd invatiotanal. He won his first fight vs Curtis Hill in 3 minutes and then lost to David Harris in the finals via toe hold at 11 minute mark.

Pulver go's back to the 3rd Rutten invatational and chokes out Ray Morales in 50 seconds. Setting up his first victory over a name opponent in the MMA world. Jens Pulver knocks out a young Joe Stevenseon in only 38 seconds to win the 1999 tournament.

Jens Pulver is 3-1 and the UFC offers him a fight at UFC 22 against Alfonso Alcarez. It was a 2 5 round fight that went to a deserving draw, who would have though Pulver would go on the tear he was about to go on. It is the end of 1999, Pulvers first year in MMA and he is 3-1-1

He starts 2000 with a 40 second knockout of Phil Johns. Pulver is then called back for UFC 24, he stops David Velazques in the 2nd round to earn his first UFC victory. Pulver then KOs Eric Hibler and decisions Joao Roque at UFC 26 via decision. Roque was a tough fighter that doesnt get mentioned hardly ever.

Pulver signs to fight Din Thomas at WEF, and gets in trouble on the ground, he is heel hooked in the 2nd round and know. Pulver is 7-2-1. Pulver comes back and knocks a nobody out in Gladiators.

Pulver than heads back to UFC for UFC 28 against John Lewis. Its the fight youve all seen. the one where Pulver knocks a guy naked in 15 seconds with that left hand. This fight made everyone admit Pulvers left from the southpaw stance was scary. Pulver went 6-1 on 2000.

At UFC 30 (the first UFC under Dana White and Zuffa) Jens Pulver was set to face Caol Uno, who was really recognized as the Lightweight champion for beating Remina Sato in his previous fight. This was for the Lightweight Title, Uno was the huge favorite. What ended up happening was Jens Pulver controlling a good fight and he got the unanimous decision he deserved. This threw a wrench in Zuffa's plans big time, they were banking on Uno being a huge star.

Pulver then defends his title at UFC 33 and wins another unanimous decision this time over Dennis Hallman who was riding a 7-0 run including a armbar over Matt Hughes. It wasnt a very close fight with Pulver winning another deserved decision.

Next up was BJ Penn at UFC 35. In a controversial fight, Pulver gets the decision and I agree wtih it. If you have seen this fight feel free to let me know what you think, I thought Pulver did more than BJ to win the fight. Just my opinion though. Either way.

Jens Pulver is 12-2-1. It is 2002 and he wont fight in the UFC for 4 years. Pulver go's undefeated in 2002 adding wins over Emerson and Takaharma after the BJ fight. Then it happens, Duane Ludwig knocks out Jens Pulver in 1 minute. To make matters worse Pulver has another loss to Jason Maxwell.

Pulver gets back on the winning track though later that year with a knockout of Joe Jordan and a submission over Richard Hess to end 2003 going 2-2. Pulver is know 14-4-1. Pulver than goes to Shooto and gets a win over Naoyo Uematso via knockout and does the same in Shooto later that year knocking out Stephen Palling. Pulver is 16-4-1.

Pride ShockWave 2004 - Pulver is facing Takanari Gomi at the height of Gomi's career. In a great Pride battle that saw both fighters land big punches Gomi stops Pulver after 6 minutes. Pulver then gets back on the winning track at Pride 7 by knocking Tomomi Iwama in 1 minute.

Pride Bushido 9 see's Pulver lose again, this time to Hayato Sukari, in another good stand up war Pulver falls just short. After 8 fierce minutes Pulver is knocked out. Pulver is 17-6-1 and he is noticably not the same fighter that he was in 2000 (it is know 2005).

Still, Pulver wins at Pride 10 over Kenj Arai via soccer kick knockout. It is Pulvers last fight in Pride. Pulver than has another 50 second knockout in IFL before making a homecoming return to the UFC. It came to late but none the less it came. Pulver is 21-6-1.

UFC 63 was supposed to be Jens Pulver's comeback to the UFC, instead it was a horrible night in which Joe Lauzon knocked Little Evil out in impressive fashion. Next up was BJ and Jens highly anticipated rematch and it wasnt even close. It was sad to watch because it was obvious how far Pulver had slid. He is know 21-8-1

Later that year (2007) Jens Pulver recorded the last win of his MMA career over Cub Swanson via sick guillotine 30 seconds into the fight. Pulver losses 5 fights straight after this. Still he fought top competition during this 0-5 run against the likes of Urijah Faber (twice), Leonard Garcia, Josh Grispi, and most recently Javier Vazquez.

Jens Pulver's record stands at 22-13-1, he was still one of the top 3 lightweights of all time in my opinion when in top form and was capable of beating any lightweight on any given night. Not to mention he was a nice honest guy.

Last edited by Birdofthad on Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: The Greatness of Jens Pulver   The Greatness of Jens Pulver EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 10:59 am

Good stuff Bird. I also gave Pulver the nod in that fight against Penn
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: The Greatness of Jens Pulver   The Greatness of Jens Pulver EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 7:50 pm

finsihed
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

PostSubject: Re: The Greatness of Jens Pulver   The Greatness of Jens Pulver EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 10:35 pm

yall remember how funny it was when BJ and Jens were coaches on TUF and when they were picking teams Jens goes raise your hand if you want to be on my team

shit was classic
Back to top Go down
muayjitsu
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
muayjitsu

Favorite Fighter(s) : Wand, Thiago Alves, BJ Penn, Cain, Vitor, Tito, SHOGUN

PostSubject: Re: The Greatness of Jens Pulver   The Greatness of Jens Pulver EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 12:01 am

Jens and BJ were two of the worse coaches on TUF. And I am a huge BJ Penn fan.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

PostSubject: Re: The Greatness of Jens Pulver   The Greatness of Jens Pulver EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 12:07 am

muayjitsu wrote:
Jens and BJ were two of the worse coaches on TUF. And I am a huge BJ Penn fan.

I dont really blame them thoguh
honestly in all reality, I would never be on TUF if I was a fighter

you want me to get ready for a big time fight and train these guys?
Back to top Go down
muayjitsu
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
muayjitsu

PostSubject: Re: The Greatness of Jens Pulver   The Greatness of Jens Pulver EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 12:21 am

I agree bird but at least some people bring in good asst coaches to help. I don't think they even did that.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

PostSubject: Re: The Greatness of Jens Pulver   The Greatness of Jens Pulver EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 12:24 am

muayjitsu wrote:
I agree bird but at least some people bring in good asst coaches to help. I don't think they even did that.

true
all I remember was the one tall as fuck guy lying and saying he had 8 fights then telling Jens he had never fought before, Jens was real cool about it and his nice personality showed on the show though from what i remember
Back to top Go down
muayjitsu
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
muayjitsu

PostSubject: Re: The Greatness of Jens Pulver   The Greatness of Jens Pulver EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 12:26 am

This actually make me wonder. Will they ever do a TUF for FWs and BWs?
Back to top Go down
Ludo
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
Ludo

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Prodigy, The Great, Viking Dahmer, The Phenom

PostSubject: Re: The Greatness of Jens Pulver   The Greatness of Jens Pulver EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 1:01 am

Birdofthad wrote:
muayjitsu wrote:

true
all I remember was the one tall as fuck guy lying and saying he had 8 fights then telling Jens he had never fought before, Jens was real cool about it and his nice personality showed on the show though from what i remember

I think that was Corey Hill.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

PostSubject: Re: The Greatness of Jens Pulver   The Greatness of Jens Pulver EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 1:24 am

LudoCain wrote:
Birdofthad wrote:
muayjitsu wrote:

true

I think that was Corey Hill.

Thanks Ludo that is his name, been trying to remember him all day
Back to top Go down
Ludo
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
Ludo

PostSubject: Re: The Greatness of Jens Pulver   The Greatness of Jens Pulver EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 1:26 am

No problem. I'll always remember him as the guy that turned his leg into rubber by kicking someone else. He was just too tall for 155
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

PostSubject: Re: The Greatness of Jens Pulver   The Greatness of Jens Pulver EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 1:29 am

LudoCain wrote:
No problem. I'll always remember him as the guy that turned his leg into rubber by kicking someone else. He was just too tall for 155

did that retire him?
Back to top Go down
Ludo
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
Ludo

PostSubject: Re: The Greatness of Jens Pulver   The Greatness of Jens Pulver EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 1:30 am

Actually no, he fought last month I heard, won too.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

PostSubject: Re: The Greatness of Jens Pulver   The Greatness of Jens Pulver EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 1:35 am

damn thats nice to know
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

PostSubject: Re: The Greatness of Jens Pulver   The Greatness of Jens Pulver EmptyMon May 31, 2010 9:27 pm

bump
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

PostSubject: Re: The Greatness of Jens Pulver   The Greatness of Jens Pulver EmptyTue Jun 01, 2010 12:46 am

Does Pulver got a match or is retired now.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/v/skCV2L0c6K0
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

PostSubject: Re: The Greatness of Jens Pulver   The Greatness of Jens Pulver EmptyTue Jun 01, 2010 12:56 am

retired after his alst loss but on HD NEt interview recently he said he will probably fight again or seemed open to it
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Greatness of Jens Pulver   The Greatness of Jens Pulver EmptyTue Jun 01, 2010 4:30 am

Great read Bird, thanks.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Greatness of Jens Pulver   The Greatness of Jens Pulver Empty

Back to top Go down

The Greatness of Jens Pulver
Page 1 of 1